• 1,277 Replies
TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 21st, 2010 @ 03:13 PM

At 1/21/10 03:11 PM, Raven-Guard wrote: I'll shut up now :P.

lol it's fine...its just so many people are impatient.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio
Latest Track: Infinity
Need Help? Real Life|Audio

BBS Signature
ChemIisan
ChemIisan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 23rd, 2010 @ 04:33 AM

(Hi, I'm new as a submitter) Man, I probably wouldn't have noticed that this were it not for my accidental click. I got steamed for asking what the approximate wait time was. However, I have 2 questions:

1)How fast does the process work now that its 2010? Is it slower or faster?
2)Is it considered 'ripped off' if you used an MIDI-esqe software (I started using Reason)?

Orangoetan
Orangoetan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 23rd, 2010 @ 05:53 AM

I've submitted my first song for approval about 1 or 2 weeks ago (I don't really remember...)
You haven't forgotten about me, have you?
Meh. I guess patience can be useful sometimes.
Oh, my song isn't stolen, by the way. Made it all by myself, yessir!

Awaiting Audio Approval?

ChemIisan
ChemIisan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 23rd, 2010 @ 02:37 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they haven't forgotten you. They probably have a list, however.
My work is also 100% mine, but I used Reason to make it. So it's not considered illegal that I used another's instrumental tones to make my loop, but on my own track?

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:39 PM

At 1/23/10 04:33 AM, ChemIisan wrote:

The processes still hasn't changed since '09. It's still a painstaking process to see if every song is legit.

2)Is it considered 'ripped off' if you used an MIDI-esqe software (I started using Reason)?

MIDI-esqe? You mean like you used a midi keyboard or something? then that's ok. If you used a midi from a song...that is not allowed.

At 1/23/10 05:53 AM, Orangoetan wrote: You haven't forgotten about me, have you?

No we haven't. Like I said it's a VERY long process...be patient. :D

At 1/23/10 02:37 PM, ChemIisan wrote: So it's not considered illegal that I used another's instrumental tones to make my loop, but on my own track?

If you bought your sequencer and use the standard sounds they have, that is NOT illegal. If you acquire a loop, lets say a loop from a famous song, and use it, that IS illegal.

Please guys, the amount of time it takes to be approve varrys. It all depends on how many people have submitted song (and there are a LOT).
The process will take a while, so PLEASE be patient and we WILL get to you!

BBS Signature
Radidsh
Radidsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 24th, 2010 @ 03:52 AM

At 1/23/10 09:39 PM, TMM43 wrote:
At 1/23/10 04:33 AM, ChemIisan wrote:
The processes still hasn't changed since '09. It's still a painstaking process to see if every song is legit.

MIDI-esqe? You mean like you used a midi keyboard or something? then that's ok. If you used a midi from a song...that is not allowed.

At 1/23/10 05:53 AM, Orangoetan wrote: You haven't forgotten about me, have you?
No we haven't. Like I said it's a VERY long process...be patient. :D

At 1/23/10 02:37 PM, ChemIisan wrote: So it's not considered illegal that I used another's instrumental tones to make my loop, but on my own track?
If you bought your sequencer and use the standard sounds they have, that is NOT illegal. If you acquire a loop, lets say a loop from a famous song, and use it, that IS illegal.

Please guys, the amount of time it takes to be approve varrys. It all depends on how many people have submitted song (and there are a LOT).
The process will take a while, so PLEASE be patient and we WILL get to you!

Alrighty. =) I was directed towards this thread to ask if I somehow was banned, but I uploaded another project of mine (100% mine) to verify, and it was uploaded, so I suppose I am still in line, so I shall not be bothered about the approval time as of yet.

However, I still (as sad as it seems) feel confusion regarding remakes. Perhaps it is me being Norwegian and not really speaking English that much/well. =P To instead of asking the general question again and rather referring to my exact situation: My videogame remakes I did make all from scratch with Fruity Loops, no midi rips or anything (I do not even know where to find these midis). I listened to the original tunes by ear really carefully and built everything from the ground note-by-note. I assumed this was allowed since there seem to be many other remakes of old videogame tunes in the Audio Portal. ^^ It still sounds very identical though, although I still gave my own touch to it. I also added drums and various misc. instruments as well, as a gameboy tune is, well, more or less only one instrument. It is still allowed though? I made it from scratch by just listening to the original gameboy tune carefully. ^^

Also, great job to the Audio Moderators, really. I never would have imagined there are that many songs to approve, and that you often also have to verify them and talk to other moderators when uncertain. Big job, so keep it up. =3

Heya! Do you wonder what it sounds like to be on a wild sugar rush? Click here if you dare! =3

Go to the Review Request Club for amazing reviews of your work!

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 24th, 2010 @ 07:57 AM

This process makes me sad.

:<

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 24th, 2010 @ 03:33 PM

At 1/24/10 03:52 AM, Radidsh wrote: my exact situation

It depends. If you made this song and it sounds VERY identical to the original, then there would be a problem. A remix is just that a REmix. You MUST have changed the song so it doesn't sound so much like original so that it sounds like a remake. There's a thin line between the two, just be careful not to cross it.

Big job, so keep it up. =3

Thanks man :D Not a lot of people realize how much time and effort goes into approving ONE submission. That's why it takes so long.

At 1/24/10 07:57 AM, Elsid wrote: This process makes me sad.

Sorry bud. The process is slow, but it works. It takes time for us, so just be patient.

BBS Signature
ChemIisan
ChemIisan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Game Developer
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 24th, 2010 @ 05:58 PM

First off, cool, I'm safe then.

Secondly:

At 1/24/10 07:57 AM, Elsid wrote: This process makes me sad.

<

Look behind all logic. If You were to write a song and never get credit for it, then if it became famous and you were told you copied it even though you made it, that would be a big deal. This is to make sure artists aren't disowned I.E. Newgrounds might kick you if you allegedly copied it. Kay?

Radidsh
Radidsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 24th, 2010 @ 07:31 PM

At 1/24/10 03:33 PM, TMM43 wrote:
At 1/24/10 03:52 AM, Radidsh wrote: my exact situation
It depends. If you made this song and it sounds VERY identical to the original, then there would be a problem. A remix is just that a REmix. You MUST have changed the song so it doesn't sound so much like original so that it sounds like a remake. There's a thin line between the two, just be careful not to cross it.

Hmm, I see. It does sound a little identical, but I did not change all that much to the already-existing melody in order to keep the original and nostalgic feel, though I did add various other instruments that I "made up myself". ^^

I suppose we will have to wait and see then. I will probably check back (a week or two?) and check if it was approved or if I crossed the line. Thanks for the help so far, good luck to you moderators and to the rest of the artists awaiting approval! ;)

Heya! Do you wonder what it sounds like to be on a wild sugar rush? Click here if you dare! =3

Jurecek
Jurecek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 25th, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

Thanks for the information

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 25th, 2010 @ 03:58 PM

At 1/24/10 05:58 PM, ChemIisan wrote: Look behind all logic. If You were to write a song and never get credit for it, then if it became famous and you were told you copied it even though you made it, that would be a big deal. This is to make sure artists aren't disowned I.E. Newgrounds might kick you if you allegedly copied it. Kay?

Dude.. that doesn't even make sense. And I know why they do it. That doesn't mean I can't be sad about it.

Shoephly
Shoephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 29th, 2010 @ 01:20 PM

@ any audio mod

- Just wondering how many submissions are under moderation at this point, if that's okay to ask?

Raven-Guard
Raven-Guard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 30th, 2010 @ 06:37 AM

We've been waiting for almost 10 days now and no validation. I know it can take longer, but we'd like to know if we've been banned or still under validation only. We'd submit a new song to check if we're banned or not, but I think if we do that and we're not banned, the validation will take longer since you'll have to validate the other one too. So, yeah, not to be an ass or anything, but if you could tell us if we've been banned or not (we shouldn't be banned since we have the .flp file to prove it, we used only East/West which we legally bought, and as far as I know we didn't steal any melodies, or if any melodies sound a bit like something you've heard before, it's completely unintentional), then we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks, and sorry for being impatient, it's just that the validation on our main accounts (Darklight17 and Supersteph54) only took like 3 days, and I've seen that usually songs that haven't been validated for over a week or close to 2 weeks would've been banned.

I'm an ass, I know :(.
Nic-zul
Nic-zul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 07:42 AM

I once submitted a song, which after 2 months of "Awaiting Moderator approval" shoeed no sign of life. After that, I completely lost hope on the Newgrounds Audio Portal, as is pissed me off by making me wait anxiously and not giving a reason of any kind on why I was waiting.

I just now gave Newgrounds another chance, only to find out I was banned from submitting to the Audio Portal. I would seriously like to know why this took place, as I have at no point broken the Submission Agreement, nor have I broken any other contracts I know of.

I'm sure it's just a human error, but it's seriously pissing me off, once again.

Shoephly
Shoephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 09:33 AM

I am currently wondering if the process becomes longer if you submit two songs, one after the other?

or doesn't it matter?

Radidsh
Radidsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 09:41 AM

At 1/31/10 07:42 AM, Nic-zul wrote: I once submitted a song, which after 2 months of "Awaiting Moderator approval" shoeed no sign of life. After that, I completely lost hope on the Newgrounds Audio Portal, as is pissed me off by making me wait anxiously and not giving a reason of any kind on why I was waiting.

I just now gave Newgrounds another chance, only to find out I was banned from submitting to the Audio Portal. I would seriously like to know why this took place, as I have at no point broken the Submission Agreement, nor have I broken any other contracts I know of.

I'm sure it's just a human error, but it's seriously pissing me off, once again.

You will likely have to supply details as in the name of the song you were uploading (you were sent an e-mail stating this upon submitting), perhaps the date could help as well.

I also hear that if you were banned, and if you truthfully know that your work is your own work and that it really does belong on Newgrounds and that it was a human error, that you should create another account and reupload your music.

Hehe, I just felt like taking the trip back in here again. ^^ I just felt like asking a question for the conversation's sake. I submitted another project to check if I was banned (for now have been waiting for 13-14 days), seems like it is going smoothly so far though. One thing I was wondering about, when banned, will you be prevented from accessing the Audio Submission form, or do you have to try actually uploading a song and submit it in order to know?

Another trivial question that is related to my own situation is the following. I have so far submitted three projects of mine. Do all of these have to be approved, or will the rest of the submitted projects show up once the first one has passed the moderators' approval process?

No haste, no haste. Me just wondering. ^^

I am really glad that I uploaded my Pokémon remake before anything else, as I am now slightly unsure whether you see it as crossing the line or not (although most of the Pokémon remake/"remix" submissions I have seen here so far seem not all that much more "original" than mine), as I have many projects whereas I made the melody composition and absolutely everything 100 %, though me not wanting to cause trouble for the audio moderators by being approved (own composition) and then posting something which they slightly feel should be altered to have it stay (remake) to sound less like the original tune.

Alrighty then. Keep up the good work! ^^

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 05:29 PM

At 1/31/10 07:42 AM, Nic-zul wrote: I'm sure it's just a human error, but it's seriously pissing me off, once again.

If you waited two months, you were probably banned after 2 weeks. If you don't see anything after 2 weeks, you were more than likely banned.
There is, as of now, NO WAY to be unbanned. Best advice is to create a new account and DO NOT upload illegal material.

At 1/31/10 09:33 AM, Shoephly wrote: or doesn't it matter?

No it doesn't matter.

BBS Signature
Radidsh
Radidsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 06:09 PM

At 1/31/10 05:29 PM, TMM43 wrote:
At 1/31/10 07:42 AM, Nic-zul wrote: I'm sure it's just a human error, but it's seriously pissing me off, once again.
If you waited two months, you were probably banned after 2 weeks. If you don't see anything after 2 weeks, you were more than likely banned.
There is, as of now, NO WAY to be unbanned. Best advice is to create a new account and DO NOT upload illegal material.

At 1/31/10 09:33 AM, Shoephly wrote: or doesn't it matter?
No it doesn't matter.

I have waited exactly two weeks, but I submitted another project of mine yesterday and apparently I was not banned yet so. =p

vaginaDeluxe
vaginaDeluxe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 06:15 PM

Reposted from another random thread:

---
My whole problem with the approval process is that during the actual uploading there is NO indication that it could be a lengthy process. In fact, on the upload screen, it specifically says "If this is your first time contributing to the Audio Portal, you will have to be approved before your submissions are made available publicly (it's a quick process) ."

Simply removing that line, and adding a little disclaimer ("May take up to 2 weeks") and maybe even a link to that Awaiting Approval thread would stem a LOT of these kind of complaints.
---

Aside from that, question: are using voice samples prohibited? I don't mean a cappella versions of commercial songs or Girl Talk-style mashups, I mean fleeting short clips taken from non-music sources.

For example, in an ambient piece would several voice samples from from say an interview or news broadcast be prohibited? Or for that matter, songs/movie audio clips etc. that are explicitly, legally public domain?

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 06:22 PM

At 1/31/10 06:09 PM, Radidsh wrote: I have waited exactly two weeks, but I submitted another project of mine yesterday and apparently I was not banned yet so. =p

Ok well, wait a little longer. It doesn't mean you've been banned. It also doesn't mean you've been approved yet. The list takes a LONG time to go through, so please be patient with us.

At 1/31/10 06:15 PM, vaginaDeluxe wrote:
Simply removing that line, and adding a little disclaimer ("May take up to 2 weeks") and maybe even a link to that Awaiting Approval thread would stem a LOT of these kind of complaints.

True, good idea...I think there's a thread with "audio portal evolution" or something along those lines. I'm too pressed for time to search for it, I'm sorry if there isn't one.

that are explicitly, legally public domain?

depends. If you took these from lets say a torrent site, possibly. But with vocal shots or VOX, it's hard to tell. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you haven't taken an acapella from a popular song and have done something with that.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 09:03 PM

if something gets rejected do you get notified? when i recorded it, it sounded a little familiar, but its totally mine. the blues all sound similar anyway. but yeah, do u get notified. i just submitted mine so i know its in the long line, but i just want to know for the future.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
dJ-Taco
dJ-Taco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Jan. 31st, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

I'm new to this, and I know I uploaded legit music, so I'm still waiting patiently, but I'm curious as to if you even got to me yet, since I uploaded about 2/3 weeks ago, but yet I uploaded another one recently and it says I still have to wait. I know you have a long list, but is there a way to PM or something to find out the process of how long it would take for one of the audio mods to get to you?

Thanks

~Karosu

No matter what happens to you, life moves on, so forget the rest, and head for the best.

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 1st, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

At 1/31/10 09:03 PM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: if something gets rejected do you get notified?

Unfortunately, no you don't. If you submit a song after about 3 weeks, you'll get a message saying you've been banned.

At 1/31/10 10:04 PM, dJ-Taco wrote: but is there a way to PM or something to find out the process of how long it would take for one of the audio mods to get to you?

We process everything in the order it was received.
As of right now, there are about 400+ people waiting...It takes a VERY VERY long time to go through the list, so PLEASE be patient.

BBS Signature
Shoephly
Shoephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:12 AM

So, for piece of mind; how many submissions do you get through, at avarage, per day?

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:19 AM

At 2/2/10 09:12 AM, Shoephly wrote: So, for piece of mind; how many submissions do you get through, at avarage, per day?

There are a bunch of audio mods, all of whom have lives. It depends on how busy we are, how many we feel like doing, etc. There isn't a set amount. For example, some days I'll process 10 submissions, others 100.

BBS Signature
Shoephly
Shoephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:48 AM

At 2/2/10 09:19 AM, TMM43 wrote:
At 2/2/10 09:12 AM, Shoephly wrote: So, for piece of mind; how many submissions do you get through, at avarage, per day?
There are a bunch of audio mods, all of whom have lives. It depends on how busy we are, how many we feel like doing, etc. There isn't a set amount. For example, some days I'll process 10 submissions, others 100.

Don't get me wrong, I was marely asking for an avarage figure. Obviously i do realize that this takes time and that you do have lives, wasn't asuming anything different, though what i did ask was for an avarage figure, from personal experience.

just for my personal piece of mind was just curious how fast the que goes; at avarage. :p

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

At 2/2/10 09:48 AM, Shoephly wrote: at avarage.

Idk. I, personally, can't put an average on that. Mostly because I don't count how many I do every time I process songs...

My absolute BEST GUESS would be somewhere between 10-20 a day? Then again, I could be way off.

BBS Signature
Shoephly
Shoephly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:52 PM

At 2/2/10 12:17 PM, TMM43 wrote: Then again, I could be way off.

Thanks man, actually was all i was looking for. Just wanted to get an idea of how fast it goes instead of the standard info of (this process is fairly fast) :D

Keep up the good work and i'll try not to bother you anymore :D

RandomJester
RandomJester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Awaiting Audio Approval? Feb. 3rd, 2010 @ 02:11 AM

At 2/2/10 12:17 PM, TMM43 wrote:
At 2/2/10 09:48 AM, Shoephly wrote: at avarage.
Idk. I, personally, can't put an average on that. Mostly because I don't count how many I do every time I process songs...

My absolute BEST GUESS would be somewhere between 10-20 a day? Then again, I could be way off.

That is good information, cause I was starting to get paranoid. XD It's onlny been maybe 3 days now though. You guys are doing a great job with what you've got, good luck to you. =)

..::Laters Song - Abandoned Auditorium::..

BBS Signature