New Topic Respond to this Topic
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:21:13 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:09 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: So who else has accomplished something meaningless recently that they're really proud of?

I reactivated my wow account

oh wait that isn't pride
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:24:23 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:21 PM, M-Vero wrote: I reactivated my wow account

yeah, that might actually be a bad thing....

do you have a girlfriend? not any more >:)

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:24:48 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:18 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 12/26/09 09:09 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Holy wow, I FINALLY (after about a week of playing) just beat arcade mode of Street Fighter IV with every character (including unlockables) on default settings (medium difficulty, 3 rounds per match, 99 seconds per round), not an easy thing to do... really. It took me a total of 639 attempts. LOL!

So who else has accomplished something meaningless recently that they're really proud of?
... um I wiped out half a 5th of whiskey last night and didn't get sick, does that count?
wait how do you know know you tried 639 times.... o.0....
also I can now play wii golf and only suck, not completely suck like I used to...

If you're proud of that... I guess it counts, haha. It is impressive. =]

I've only played arcade mode since getting the game, so I added up my character usage. Now that I think about it I'd have to subtract 2 from it because I did play through twice on "easiest" setting to unlock Akuma and Gouken (I couldn't manage that on default settings >.< Seth is too much of a prick), but then I put it back to medium to beat it with them. =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:26:16 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:21 PM, M-Vero wrote: I reactivated my wow account
oh wait that isn't pride

Lol I'm back on the Diablo sauce when I got back to my home town.
WoW would destroy my Christmas break; I'd squeeze as much gameplay as I can out of the WOLK 10 day trial.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:31:51 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:26 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Lol I'm back on the Diablo sauce when I got back to my home town.

I want 3

WoW would destroy my Christmas break; I'd squeeze as much gameplay as I can out of the WOLK 10 day trial.

I'll save you some time, it's the same as the last 70 levels you've gone through only it's bigger and takes longer

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-26 21:35:24 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:31 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 12/26/09 09:26 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Lol I'm back on the Diablo sauce when I got back to my home town.
I want 3

I'm sure it will be a great game. I never could get into Diablo 2, but I remember many sleepless nights playing the first game over and over. =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 00:09:03 Reply

I've nearly gotten all the medals on Ching Chong Beautiful. Now that's a major pain in the ass.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 07:33:55 Reply

At 12/27/09 12:09 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've nearly gotten all the medals on Ching Chong Beautiful. Now that's a major pain in the ass.

Me too, only missing thee "meet all contestants" and "win game on hardest shit"!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 07:44:39 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:35 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 12/26/09 09:31 PM, M-Vero wrote:
I want 3
I'm sure it will be a great game. I never could get into Diablo 2, but I remember many sleepless nights playing the first game over and over. =P

Yeah same here... I dont know, diablo 2 didnt have the straightforwardness of diablo 1. I played through D2 once, but I dont think I ever used those skills.
Really looking forward to 3.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 07:51:42 Reply

At 12/26/09 09:09 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: So who else has accomplished something meaningless recently that they're really proud of?

Got my main character to level 60 in Mass Effect. Lvl 59 to 60 took almost an entire playthrough.
I'm a few hours in replaying it on Insanity.

I so fucking want Mass Effect 2. Yes, the cussing was necessary.

Oh, which reminds me... since nobody seems to have read it a few pages back:

I'm doing preliminary work on a sci-fi story to be released episodically, which reminded me of the Storybook Collab.
That didn't work out as well as everyone hoped mainly because it involved way too many individuals and was far too ambitious and all the other cliché stuff that threatens every single project on the internet the moment they are set up.

So, that got me thinking: Storybook Light. Cut out the voice-overs, the music, the animation, the scripting and distill it to art and story.
Writers write a story, artists recreate a scene from said story (or multiple) and the result is combined and uploaded to the art portal.

Hell, it might even be in comicbook form.

Just throwing it out there, input anyone?

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 10:00:15 Reply

At 12/27/09 07:51 AM, RNNR wrote:
Got my main character to level 60 in Mass Effect. Lvl 59 to 60 took almost an entire playthrough.
I'm a few hours in replaying it on Insanity.

i got to 56 then got bored of replaying it, im just suckin the life out of my games for achievements
at the moment im addicted to dj hero though

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 10:52:01 Reply

I defeated all the challenges in Frenetic Plus on standard difficulty.

This is a really obscure one, but these are nigh impossible. Great (though old) freebie game.

I also defeated all the Challenge modes in KOF Max Impact 2. Despite the main game being ridiculously easy for a KOF title, the Challenge modes are just brutal. ex. fist-fighting the Metal Slug tank while tiptoeing around a grid of mines and avoiding an orbital satellite that shoots laser beams down at you. Or completing the classic "beat up the car" challenge while a helicopter rains depthcharges down on you, also while tiptoeing around a grid of mines. Plus, a brutal time limit and the ability to be KO'd by hazards... Thank god for Hanzo Hattori.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 12:17:24 Reply

At 12/27/09 07:51 AM, RNNR wrote:
I'm doing preliminary work on a sci-fi story to be released episodically, which reminded me of the Storybook Collab.
That didn't work out as well as everyone hoped mainly because it involved way too many individuals and was far too ambitious and all the other cliché stuff that threatens every single project on the internet the moment they are set up.

So, that got me thinking: Storybook Light. Cut out the voice-overs, the music, the animation, the scripting and distill it to art and story.
Writers write a story, artists recreate a scene from said story (or multiple) and the result is combined and uploaded to the art portal.

Hell, it might even be in comicbook form.

Just throwing it out there, input anyone?

That sounds like a good idea, I'd like to see that in the Art Portal. I don't really have any other input other than that. =P

At 12/27/09 10:52 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:
I also defeated all the Challenge modes in KOF Max Impact 2. Despite the main game being ridiculously easy for a KOF title, the Challenge modes are just brutal. ex. fist-fighting the Metal Slug tank while tiptoeing around a grid of mines and avoiding an orbital satellite that shoots laser beams down at you. Or completing the classic "beat up the car" challenge while a helicopter rains depthcharges down on you, also while tiptoeing around a grid of mines. Plus, a brutal time limit and the ability to be KO'd by hazards... Thank god for Hanzo Hattori.

Cool. I wasn't aware of a sequel to Maximum Impact, an import then?
Though I'm a bigger Fatal Fury fan than KoF, SNK makes some really great fighters. I'm hoping that they'll make another high resolution sequel (I'm sure they will) and fix some of the problems with KoF 12...

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 12:21:17 Reply

@Gumby - Ya, I'm only missing platinum on hard. I'm currently on stage 3 of death collosseum.

@RNNR - Same, I can't wait for Mass Effect 2. I got my main guy to lvl 50 in one playthrough of the game.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 13:08:32 Reply

At 12/27/09 12:09 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've nearly gotten all the medals on Ching Chong Beautiful. Now that's a major pain in the ass.

I was only a few levels away from beating it on the hardest difficulty when I cleared my cache to get something to work, and in turn erased my game :C

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
JoeTheToucan
JoeTheToucan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 13:09:23 Reply

At 12/27/09 12:21 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: @Gumby - Ya, I'm only missing platinum on hard. I'm currently on stage 3 of death collosseum.

That game had me angry

No mate, no.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 13:13:36 Reply

I'm at stage 3 - ninja level

Hard FTW!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 13:26:41 Reply

At 12/27/09 01:08 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: I was only a few levels away from beating it on the hardest difficulty when I cleared my cache to get something to work, and in turn erased my game :C

:( I feel your pain

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 20:06:38 Reply

At 12/27/09 01:26 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/27/09 01:08 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: I was only a few levels away from beating it on the hardest difficulty when I cleared my cache to get something to work, and in turn erased my game :C
( I feel your pain

That is very saddening. They should make it so the swf saves the .sol to a selected destination. Then we could keep all our Newgrounds game files in one folder and not lose them when the cache is cleared.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 20:23:14 Reply

At 12/27/09 08:06 PM, CloudEater wrote: That is very saddening. They should make it so the swf saves the .sol to a selected destination. Then we could keep all our Newgrounds game files in one folder and not lose them when the cache is cleared.

Well like anything, you can't really make all scripters follow certain rules, but yeah, save games stored in the cache is dead stupid.

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-27 20:37:52 Reply

At 12/27/09 08:23 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Well like anything, you can't really make all scripters follow certain rules, but yeah, save games stored in the cache is dead stupid.

I don't think it's even possible for scripters to make it save else where but in the temporary internet files or whatever it is. So the adobe team should change that and make everyone happy :D

RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 10:57:32 Reply

At 12/27/09 12:17 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: That sounds like a good idea, I'd like to see that in the Art Portal. I don't really have any other input other than that. =P

Ran it with Renae as well, she told me to go for it, so I will.

Grand Announcement of Mighty Justice and Great Importance!

I shall be setting up an ongoing event where writers can submit short stories, poems and the like and artists can submit illustrations etc. Artists can pick any of the writings, use it as inspiration and/or depict a scene from it (or multiple) and submit it to the Art Portal.
Similarly, writers can take any of the art submitted to the event and build the story around the illustration.

What does it need?

For this to run smoothly it must be organised, so what needs to be done?

A thread of its own where writers and artists can submit links to their work, I'll start one up after I've finished writing something to get the ball rolling.

A newspost with an overview of all the work submitted, works in progress and work taken. Again, I'll handle that.

Guidelines/rules/borders. We rea-hea-hea-hea-heally need a few those:

Work submitted has to be specifically made for the event.
Try and keep short stories actually short in length.
Contact the submitter you've taken the work from to notify them they're awesome and have made something quite inspirational and awesome.
A deadline of sorts per reservation: if you reserve a story or illustration, it's expected you finish it within a [certain amount of time]. This is to keep the event flowing and ensure a certain amount of work can be picked from.

----------------------------------

That's all I could come up with, suggestions are most welcome.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 11:12:27 Reply

This is gonna be so awesome!
I think it's a great idea, and I sure hope it won't die off.

Is is going to be like non-stop contributing? Or more like weekly updates of stories and/or artworks?

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 11:37:35 Reply

At 12/28/09 11:12 AM, havegum wrote: Is is going to be like non-stop contributing? Or more like weekly updates of stories and/or artworks?

That's something that needs thinking.

Putting the responsibility at every individual contributor would allow a great deal of flexibility and result in quicker, albeit smaller updates 'round the clock.
It's not as 'safe' though and people have a tendency to disappear off the radar.

Though I'll ask specifically for people to PM their work to me to be put in the newspost, as I won't be able to keep up with the thread.
So I could do a weekly, or quicker update showcasing newly submitted work along with stuff that hasn't been taken yet

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 13:32:34 Reply

At 12/28/09 11:37 AM, RNNR wrote: So I could do a weekly, or quicker update showcasing newly submitted work along with stuff that hasn't been taken yet

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea.

I say weekly, you could make a news post for each week/month, with updates every third day or so.
Is there any awesome name for this awesome concept yet?

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 15:32:58 Reply

At 12/28/09 10:57 AM, RNNR wrote: story idea thingy :P

What about the guidelines for the writers. you had plenty deling with the deadlines, but I was wondering about a word limit,
3000 Works is a pretty tight budget, but it would be a fine cap off on the words...

you said try and keep the stories short.

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 15:39:43 Reply

At 12/28/09 01:32 PM, havegum wrote: Yeah, that would probably be a good idea.

I say weekly, you could make a news post for each week/month, with updates every third day or so.
Is there any awesome name for this awesome concept yet?

Well, n.... o.

I was thinking 'The WArt Mash-Up', you know... with Writer and Artist fused to make a truly dashing... name.
Yeah, I don't pride myself in my naming ability.

Suggestions?

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 15:46:51 Reply

At 12/28/09 03:32 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: What about the guidelines for the writers. you had plenty deling with the deadlines, but I was wondering about a word limit,
3000 Works is a pretty tight budget, but it would be a fine cap off on the words...

I'd say that's a pretty good idea. Shorter tales come along quicker than huge, lumbering 250000 word manuscripts.

3000 words would be... ~10 pages in Word using Times New Roman sized at 12.
10 pages is a lot, I could pull such a number in two weeks, with emphasis on 'could'.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 16:07:31 Reply

At 12/28/09 03:46 PM, RNNR wrote:
At 12/28/09 03:32 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: What about the guidelines for the writers. you had plenty deling with the deadlines, but I was wondering about a word limit,
I'd say that's a pretty good idea. Shorter tales come along quicker than huge, lumbering 250000 word manuscripts.

3000 words would be... ~10 pages in Word using Times New Roman sized at 12.
10 pages is a lot, I could pull such a number in two weeks, with emphasis on 'could'.

your right 10 pages is a lot.
Perhaps half of that, 1500 words. I guess we could reserve bigger word sets to more proven artist and writers.
Also I need to get some more incite on artist end. Do we draw Just 1 or a few pictures from the story, or do we treat it like a comic script and draw comics, or is that going to be from team to team to decide?

BBS Signature
RNNR
RNNR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-12-28 16:20:37 Reply

At 12/28/09 04:07 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: your right 10 pages is a lot.
Perhaps half of that, 1500 words. I guess we could reserve bigger word sets to more proven artist and writers.

Seems I overestimated, if I add another 15 words to this particular page I'm typing I'm about 2/3 in.
So the number would be more around 6-7 pages, with a word count of roughly 400 per page.
I think it could act as a nice upper limit, 7 pages in Times New Roman @ 12.

Also I need to get some more incite on artist end. Do we draw Just 1 or a few pictures from the story, or do we treat it like a comic script and draw comics, or is that going to be from team to team to decide?

I'd strongly recommend not going overboard with that, talking from experience, as doing a comic would mean making a storyboard and several pictures per page, but I can hardly stop anyone from doing so.

Execution will be free, as long as it's realistic and doable.

BBS Signature