00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

956,715 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 00:22:54

I'm sad because I only have Photoshop 2.0
I feel so limited to what I should be able to do with all the cool features of newer Photoshop!

And how do you all afford flash when it is 700 DOLLARS?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 00:25:01

At 2/8/08 12:22 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: And how do you all afford flash when it is 700 DOLLARS?

Or new photoshop?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 02:35:07

At 2/8/08 12:19 AM, All-Hallows wrote: Will someone buy me a Cintiq? I will be your art slave for a year

KTHNXBAI <3

buy you a cintiq? you best make some badass art afterwards. I'm barely scraping by with a freakin bamboo (no complaints here even the cheapest one is nookass :D )

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 19:44:23

At 2/8/08 02:47 AM, fetusdoctor wrote:
I feel so limited to what I should be able to do with all the cool features of newer Photoshop!
I would recommend the GIMP.

But if GIMP is free, then why is Photoshop still selling?

And how do you all afford flash when it is 700 DOLLARS?!?
Scrimping and saving.

What is scrimping?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 20:28:11

Photoshop, paintshop, GIMP, blah

But if GIMP is free, then why is Photoshop still selling?
PhotoShop is a lot better than GIMP in most areas.

yeah, i'm really comfortable with the brush customizations that photoshop gives. Script-fu is nice, but i'd miss my "opacity based on pressure" function too much to make a permenant switch.

also, Student discount FTW!
this place gives discounts from K-12-college.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 23:06:09

At 2/6/08 09:56 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: it's a real art story and something you could have looked into before shooting down completely.

no need, I know there's no way a human can recreate a fractal by splashing paint around.
Maybe he found random parts of the paintings that were sort of like little approximations of what could be considered a fractal if you continued it, but that's it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-11 20:31:01

K, I have a question. First off, forgive me all I have is MS paint and a touchpad, saving up for a tablet now. Basically, I've been playing around with side-views of people for a while now, problem is, I'm not 100% sure on where the nose, mouth, and chin should go, here's a little outline of a person I made in paint, could somebody please outline the facial features?

Art Forum Lounge

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-11 21:32:53

EYES and EARS and MOUTH and NOEZ
i'm on a laptop with a touchpad, so i'm not even gonna attempt it.

conceptart always knows what to say.

a good thing to use for reference is your own head. trace the relations with your fingers. i've found that ear starts at the eyebrow, and ends at the base of the nose. dunno about the rest in relation to the face.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-11 21:58:50

At 2/11/08 08:31 PM, Winned wrote: Face

Eye is at 1/2 head, nose and ear start at eye and go down 1/2 face. Mouth lines up half way between the bottom of the nose/ear and the chin. The chin ends (and the earlobe sits) half way across the face horizontally. Also, remember the back of the head protrudes, and the neck starts 1/2 way down.

It's all about the halves.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 03:54:50

At 2/8/08 11:06 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 2/6/08 09:56 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: it's a real art story and something you could have looked into before shooting down completely.
no need, I know there's no way a human can recreate a fractal by splashing paint around.
Maybe he found random parts of the paintings that were sort of like little approximations of what could be considered a fractal if you continued it, but that's it.

Fractals are patterns in chaos though, so wouldn't an increased randomness be more likely to produce a fractals?

Anyway for the record, even though I don't create 'conceptual art' and I think some of the stuff done lately is the most pretentious load of horseshit around, I think some of the classic pieces are absolutely brilliant.

Thinking mostly "This is not a Pipe"

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 03:56:23

At 2/12/08 03:54 AM, Vousielle wrote:
Fractals are patterns in chaos though, so wouldn't an increased randomness be more likely to produce a fractals?

sorry *a fractal.
It's 3:01 AM here gimme a break.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 12:25:13

I guess this is a good place to discuss the question "What is art?"

Too many times have i heard answers like "everythings art" or "Art is in the eye of the beholder" and i'm getting pretty tierd of it, thats just avoiding the subject.

Why do we paint/sculpt/animate or menstruate on paper, whats the meaning of it?

I draw and paint and such because i get some sort of rush trough it, I can't tell why nor how, maybe it has something to do with me wanting to express myself. The result is a tiny piece of my mind. Every piece of 'art' might be a piece of someones mind, and maybe thats whats so intruiging with it. Why else would colors on a canvas or a shaped rock and so on be something you can look at for a while?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 12:38:30

Art is the product and/or process of creative production, which is intended to provoke a strong emotional/aesthetic/intellectual/and visceral response. Art requires two things, intent to produce art, and creative input.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 12:39:31

At 2/12/08 12:38 PM, Vousielle wrote: Art is the product and/or process of creative production, which is intended to provoke a strong emotional/aesthetic/intellectual/and visceral response. Art requires two things, intent to produce art, and creative input.

I dont take all these art classes for nothing, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 13:09:40

At 2/12/08 12:25 PM, LaserKarl wrote: I guess this is a good place to discuss the question "What is art?"
Why do we paint/sculpt/animate or menstruate on paper, whats the meaning of it?

menstruating on paper is in my opinion not art.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 13:33:52

At 2/12/08 01:09 PM, Nacco wrote:

It is, only if the now unborn child's soul get credit for the work.

That's right, I said it.

Nothing screams more emotion more than expelled egg.
Now go get your "Red-Wings" boys.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 13:35:11

At 2/12/08 01:09 PM, Nacco wrote:

It is, only if the now unborn child's soul get credit for the work.

That's right, I said it.

Nothing screams more emotion more than expelled egg.
Now go get your "Red-Wings" boys.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 14:05:39

Why haven't I been in the art forum for so long?

I used to lurk this shit every day

Time to get back into old habits. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 18:08:41

At 2/12/08 12:38 PM, Vousielle wrote: Art is the product and/or process of creative production, which is intended to provoke a strong emotional/aesthetic/intellectual/and visceral response. Art requires two things, intent to produce art, and creative input.

But why? Haha.

Not that i inted to stop or anything, its just that i don't understand what we get out of it.
I've thought this through many times, and i can never come up with an answer that statifies me.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-12 20:59:29

What is Art Discussion

I make art for other people. Nothing is half as exciting, for me at least, as creating something and having other people appreciate it. I think that's why I like NG so much, where else can you get instant feedback on a grand scale?

I also like the process, and thinking about the ending. When I'm done working on a picture, it seem kind of useless to me...

I've never found words to be inadiquate for expression, so the idea of expressing things through art because that's the only way you can put it seems silly to me. How is menstrating on paper any clearer than simply writing "Feminisim," "Un-Sanitary," or "Disgusting" on the wall? Modern art usually ticks me off; sure, they say they're expressing something through art, but the only way it'll make sense is through them explaining it to you. True expression should need no explaination.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-13 18:29:26

I do requests now!

yes that's right. I do requests. BBD pm'd me and since I had nothing to do I at the moment I decided to make him a signature pic. If you guys would like to make a request go for it, but I'll fulfill one that I'm most inclined to do. That being said you could make a request on my art thread, here, or just pm me. it's all gravy. if a request doesn't get fulfilled this means I'm either busy again or I just don't feel like telling you, however I will say so instead of being an asshole and leave you hanging.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 09:13:57

So I was browsing the internet and happened to come across this artist named Anthony Lister. He does a sort of abstract comic book character kinda thing. Anyway I really liked what he was doing, especially his interpretation of batman, so I just thought I'd share... that is what this art forum lounge is for isn't it?

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 10:08:14

At 2/15/08 09:13 AM, enjoyshaun wrote: So I was browsing the internet and happened to come across this artist named Anthony Lister.

Great find!

Ron Mueck is my latest favourite artist. Unbelivable stuff. Many of you have sertainly allready seen this guy. I think what he does is called hyper realism. Big sculptures with incredible detail and feeling. Check it out.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 10:50:56

At 2/15/08 10:08 AM, LaserKarl wrote: Ron Mueck is my latest favourite artist. Unbelivable stuff. Many of you have sertainly allready seen this guy. I think what he does is called hyper realism. Big sculptures with incredible detail and feeling. Check it out.

Oh my god, that's insane! I love it, especially the last peice on that page, the self-portrait. :o

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 11:13:11

At 2/15/08 10:08 AM, LaserKarl wrote:
At 2/15/08 09:13 AM, enjoyshaun wrote: So I was browsing the internet and happened to come across this artist named Anthony Lister.
Great find!

Ron Mueck is my latest favourite artist. Unbelivable stuff. Many of you have sertainly allready seen this guy. I think what he does is called hyper realism. Big sculptures with incredible detail and feeling. Check it out.

my fucking loard.. I thought that was photoshop. damn I hope it becomes a traveling exhibit.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 11:17:14

At 2/15/08 09:13 AM, enjoyshaun wrote: So I was browsing the internet and happened to come across this artist named Anthony Lister. He does a sort of abstract comic book character kinda thing. Anyway I really liked what he was doing, especially his interpretation of batman, so I just thought I'd share... that is what this art forum lounge is for isn't it?

this guy is amazing as well. pure genius in his choices. I wonder if he takes requests? I wanted optimus Prime or robocop :-p

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 11:53:19

Finally i got something on my mind that is worth posting here...

Ive recently bought a new tablet. Not Graphire, not Intuos but Volit02. Yeah whatever, i know its like 2 years old. But i preferred not to spend too much money on something that ive never used in my whole life. The Volito2 is very light and easy to use, even though it isnt wireless.

So far im having a blast with it. If anybody knows, do you think it was worth the purchase? At least ive got myself a tablet after many years. My first ever xP

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 15:07:50

Here is a commissioned reference of a w40K Guardsman's lasrifle I did, I was wondering if I could get some critique?

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 15:28:59

lol
I would give exactly 0 dollars for this. Though for a fee of 20 bucks, I would dispose of it for you. Otherwise, you keep it.
I'm so evil :(

At 2/12/08 03:54 AM, Vousielle wrote:

fractals are not random, they're extremely precise mathematical figures. A fractal is a figure that repeats in a such a way that if you zoom on little parts of it, you will find that whole figure again, and so on until infinity. To generate one completely randomly would be impossibly unlikely, though as I said I'm sure that if you look carefully at his giant-ass collection of paintings, you might find some parts of them that SORT of might be "fractals". But that doesn't mean anything nor should it be praised; it's not his fault.
So to even get close to a fractal, you need to print it from a computer rendering.

Here's what a real fractal looks like:

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-15 15:42:11

At 2/15/08 03:28 PM, poxpower wrote:
fractals are not random, they're extremely precise mathematical figures. A fractal is a figure that repeats in a such a way that if you zoom on little parts of it, you will find that whole figure again, and so on until infinity.

My point exactly, they are the patterns that permeate the the underlying framework of the universe.
What appears to be random actually falls into a pattern.

quantum physics for the win!

BBS Signature