bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 10:29:27 Reply

At 2/22/15 07:44 AM, Daverom wrote: What's the deal with newgrounds?

What's the deal with airline food?

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 11:06:18 Reply

At 2/22/15 10:29 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:

Seinfeld jokes come with a 30 year ban for being crimes against humanity.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 11:21:47 Reply

At 2/22/15 11:06 AM, ornery wrote: Seinfeld jokes come with a 30 year ban for being crimes against humanity.

Right, I forgot you hated Seinfeld because of that roommate you had....

TheScarredSide
TheScarredSide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 11:29:52 Reply

At 2/21/15 02:39 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 2/21/15 11:02 AM, HyperFerret123 wrote:
Is the Newgrounds forum art community really bad as most people who left say it is?
I can't say I know what chat you're talking about, so it's hard to speak to the circumstances you're vaguely laying out.

For myself though: I joined in the art community in 2011 because I very much preferred the artistic environment NG offered. I was in art school at the time, and NG was a pleasantly unpretentious alternative, offering opportunities to get honest critiques (rather than the mutual masturbation of dA) and help out younger artists. I really liked the smaller size of the community, to be honest- some of the larger art groups you can browse for days without ever running into the same users twice. Collaborations are popular, definitely something I like. Plus there's a real sense of affection/dialogue between users and staff here that appeals to me.

It's hardly perfect. If you're dead serious about art, to be sure, especially digital art, there are superior alternatives in sites like conceptart.org or cghub (now closed, i think) that would mold you into a better illustrator, but I came here looking for companionship and dick jokes while getting my arts education elsewhere. Oh, the multimedia support also appeals to me- I like being a stone's throw away from animators and musicians and whatnot.

It's true Newgrounds has shrunk a good deal while I've been here, and it's true the holdouts tend to be the ones more invested in the community, but I think the problem is mostly that we're not acquiring new users at the rate we used to to counter the losses. Youtube is a lot to blame for that.

And the people who chose to stay are "masochists" who are compelled to stick to their old ways
I'm not. I don't think my friends here are either. You're welcome to judge for yourself.

I agree, so far Newgrounds has been nothing but welcoming towards me.
The people here are incredibly spportive and I've been getting wonderful and helpful support on my artwork.
Sure, you're gonna have people that are rude anywhere, and there are some that are here.
Pobably, the constant masturbation jokes are the only thing that have ever stuck out to me (no pun intended.) as bad.
My Advice to you is to just judge Newgrounds for yourself.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 14:12:05 Reply

At 2/22/15 11:06 AM, ornery wrote:
At 2/22/15 10:29 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
Seinfeld jokes come with a 30 year ban for being crimes against humanity.

Damn it, hypothetical Jerry.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-22 17:01:12 (edited 2015-02-22 17:02:16) Reply

At 2/21/15 11:02 AM, HyperFerret123 wrote: Is the Newgrounds forum art community really bad as most people who left say it is?
And the people who chose to stay are "masochists" who are compelled to stick to their old ways?

I've had a long think about how to reply to this, because I weren't sure what your motivations were for bringing it up.

My first point is that I think that by now you should have a comfortable idea about what the community is like here, and what you can get out of it.

My second point is that I don't think that user was talking about the art forum, but Newgrounds as a whole. I find that with any large community that targets audiences rather than artists (YouTube, DA, NG) there are a lot of people whose opinion ("this is amazing!" or "this is shit!") is absolutely worthless, and should be ignored. I find the artists who cater for these people even worse.

On smaller communities you are more likely to find likeminded people, but all you're doing is isolating yourself. For instance the "chat member" in your post is only saying something that Jerry wants to hear.

My third point, and this goes with anything, is to maintain links with many communities so that you can get the best out of all of them. Only cut loose when you feel something is cancerous to your attitude or to your work, and never be parts of groups where you think you are the smartest individual, because you will never grow.

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 03:55:14 Reply

At 2/21/15 03:02 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Most of the people who I know from the forum that left, it had nothing to due with personalities and clashes of opinions. It's because people grow up, get busy, move on, just life happens.

For sure, I always wish I spent more time here nowadays, but I have a much busier lifestyle than I used to D:

At 2/22/15 05:01 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: never be parts of groups where you think you are the smartest individual, because you will never grow.

I love the art forum, I've been here since I was pretty young and it taught me how to appreciate feedback, evaluate art better, and not let harsh criticism affect me negatively. It also encouraged me to improve so that I'd be able to show my progress to the artist peeps I respect.

MisterAce
MisterAce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 11:47:28 Reply

I've learned more here than in most art communities.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 18:15:46 (edited 2015-02-23 18:23:27) Reply

I've always wondered this but is there a reason NG insists on storing deleted artwork instead of actually just deleting it? I have about 11 pages of deleted artwork and wonder what purpose it serves.

EDIT: the reason I'm asking is because I have an incredible OCD about this kind of stuff (constantly refresh my desktop, run registry cleaner every time I delete something) and it's been making me itch since 2012.

LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:19:49 Reply

At 2/23/15 06:15 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I've always wondered this but is there a reason NG insists on storing deleted artwork instead of actually just deleting it? I have about 11 pages of deleted artwork and wonder what purpose it serves.

You can't run away from your past Dahlia.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:31:55 Reply

dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:39:03 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:31 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

Best bet is maybe PM one of the staff members and see what's what

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-23 19:39:09 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:31 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: dun dun dunnnnnn. But seriously is it just an error that nobody bothered to fix? Cuz pages 2-11 don't actually exist (just takes me back to the Portal). And I'm starting to wonder why we even have this feature if it's both broken and unnecessary.

I think, and I very well could be wrong here, but I think its so that some hypothetical person doesn't submit art then delete it then reup it to get a better score or something.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
radiodark
radiodark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 03:05:33 Reply

Where are you seeing the rest of the pages? I went to your art page and just saw the one.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 04:49:22 Reply

At 2/23/15 07:39 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: I think, and I very well could be wrong here, but I think its so that some hypothetical person doesn't submit art then delete it then reup it to get a better score or something.

Nah, people are still able to do this. It's lametastic.

Even if this is what it's meant for, people can resize the image and is no longer recognised by the portal system. It's unavoidable, but if someone is obviously abusing it then they would get pruned (but that's never happened to my knowledge).

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-24 15:54:31 Reply

So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.

radiodark
radiodark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 11:29:20 Reply

At 2/24/15 03:54 PM, M-Maher wrote: So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.

In a word, yeah. Youtube is responsible for a lot of it. Tom talked a lot about it in the Magfest panel he linked to in his most recent newspost.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 12:08:26 Reply

At 2/25/15 11:29 AM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 2/24/15 03:54 PM, M-Maher wrote: So like has the site slowed down? because before, a couple years ago this site was pretty active, all my old shit art used to get like a couple thousand views but recently I can barely manage to get 500 are we in a slump right now? it can't be my art or the thumbnails because I've done worse and gotten better numbers for it.
In a word, yeah. Youtube is responsible for a lot of it. Tom talked a lot about it in the Magfest panel he linked to in his most recent newspost.

Would be nice if the art forum have more flash art collabs. I had an idea where you combine side scrolling shooter like gladius with pencil, ms paint, and digital art over paper as cuts out. And if it ever got lot of submissions all of it can be use as the ships, enemies, bosses, background, and even obstacles. Plus with cool features like the crerdits will have highlight names of artist's art you use as ships, cleared as a level, and even destroyed.

Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 17:40:11 Reply

At 2/25/15 12:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq

We had actually tried making an art forum shoot em up years and years ago.....

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 17:48:46 Reply

At 2/25/15 05:40 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 2/25/15 12:08 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Though I wonder how tough it is to program all that ;rq
We had actually tried making an art forum shoot em up years and years ago.....

I recently thought about rebooting that.
Then I realised it would be a complete mess and a project better suited to a few people.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 18:05:39 Reply

At 2/25/15 05:48 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I recently thought about rebooting that.
Then I realised it would be a complete mess and a project better suited to a few people.

Yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen sort of deal....

And considering how hard it's been to run collabs, I don't think a game of that magnitude would work, not in this age
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-25 18:50:09 Reply

At 2/25/15 06:05 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen sort of deal....

Too many cooks, you say?

radiodark
radiodark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 14:06:36 Reply

Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

formerly lovingthedark

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 14:18:58 (edited 2015-02-26 14:19:15) Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo is? Because he's pretty awesome.

Fixed your sentence.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 15:14:18 Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

lol this dismissive response to his review
Jeez, some artists ...

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 16:16:04 Reply

At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo's reviewing has been of late? Because it's pretty awesome.

Makin the rest of us look bad.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 19:07:01 Reply

Daaaw you're makin me blush.

At 2/26/15 02:18 PM, test-object wrote:
At 2/26/15 02:06 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Can we talk about how awesome @JackDCurleo is? Because he's pretty awesome.
Fixed your sentence

We can always do that, but I don't know if there's enough time to cover everything

At 2/26/15 03:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Jeez, some artists ...

I expected it to happen sooner rather than later, I'm a little surprised that it hasn't happened more, but it is a bit annoying that if its "just part of his process" that his process includes posting what looks like a work in progress with a nasty ass watermark to the art portal.

At 2/26/15 04:16 PM, Daverom wrote:
Makin the rest of us look bad.

Well if I'm not gonna do it then who is?
Just kidding, I have had fairly large amount of free time on my hands lately, so I figured why not review more art, that's an area this site really is lacking in after all.
What I'm really hoping for is not only that the artists take my advice to heart and improve, but also that more users who are capable of giving great feedback also hop in and share their input more.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-26 19:40:43 Reply

At 2/26/15 07:07 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: What I'm really hoping for is not only that the artists take my advice to heart and improve, but also that more users who are capable of giving great feedback also hop in and share their input more.

You make me proud Jacko

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2015-02-27 11:36:09 Reply

At 2/26/15 03:14 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Jeez, some artists ...

Actually I don't blame the artist on this one. His only fault was posting a work in progress publicly and offering no ideas as to what he was going for. Jacks points were all great and valid, if this was a final piece. I would generally recommend against both actions going on here. Don't post sketches to public portal, and don't review sketches as final pieces.

Instead if one is going to post a sketch they should do so with a question or statement about what the final piece is intended to look like. And if you are going to review a sketch I would highly highly recommend brushing up on the artists previous work so you can see where their process leads as well as what mistakes they commonly make and if they have already started making that mistake.

Lets assume that the artist has no other work to go off of, and you still want to offer the sketch a review. I would focus more on what your reactions are initially and where you think it might be going based on what you see. Telling someone what needs fixing in a sketch is a waste of time typically because they are hopefully well aware of where the weak points lie in an unfinished work and what will get fixed in the final piece. However telling someone a prediction can either reaffirm the artists intentions and give them a nice little boost since they know they are on the right track, or give them a new idea for a direction they still have room to take but didn't think of. It can even wake them up to some changes they may need to make to get to their goal if its not yet apparent but they felt like it should have been at that point.