New Topic Respond to this Topic
LuisEC
LuisEC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 21:20:57 Reply

I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.
Also..there's no way to post multiple images huh?

Anyway, I'm trying to get a little more involved in the community here, everyone's been pretty supportive of the stuff I make so it's been pretty great.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 21:54:10 Reply

At 11/18/14 09:20 PM, LuisEC wrote: I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a little more involved in the community here, everyone's been pretty supportive of the stuff I make so it's been pretty great.

Quite a few artists from this forum used to hangout on tinychat (as well as omegle before it closed) and maybe still do(?). Also a few skype and google hangouts. Many of those people don't seem to be around much, if at all.

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:28:16 Reply

At 11/18/14 09:54 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 11/18/14 09:20 PM, LuisEC wrote: I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.

Quite a few artists from this forum used to hangout on tinychat (as well as omegle before it closed) and maybe still do(?). Also a few skype and google hangouts. Many of those people don't seem to be around much, if at all.

A few of us still come and go on Tinychatfrom time to time, although the room definitely has times when its completely empty.

Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:30:41 Reply

Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:37:05 Reply

At 11/18/14 10:30 PM, Cherubas wrote: Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?

You canfind the thread you're probably talking about here.

Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 03:02:19 Reply

At 11/18/14 10:37 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 11/18/14 10:30 PM, Cherubas wrote: Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?
You canfind the thread you're probably talking about here.

That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 07:19:44 Reply

At 11/19/14 03:02 AM, Cherubas wrote: That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.

Start er up again. If you post it they will come.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 10:37:43 Reply

At 11/19/14 07:19 AM, Sockembop wrote:
At 11/19/14 03:02 AM, Cherubas wrote: That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.
Start er up again. If you post it they will come.

The thread doesn't really need activity to mean people are there. It was used more when we would set up skype calls, or stickam rooms as those were temporary. With Tinychat being a constant, it rarely get's bumped as a thread.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 12:07:14 Reply

Having a dilemma.

Before, I was dead set on taking programming as my course when I get to college.
Also the reason there isn't any good uni/college for fine arts.

UNTIL TODAY!
I found a government uni with cheap(er than usual) tuition.

And now, I now have a reason to think about what I actually want to take.
Help? :c

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 13:06:55 Reply

At 11/19/14 12:07 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Having a dilemma.

Before, I was dead set on taking programming as my course when I get to college.
Also the reason there isn't any good uni/college for fine arts.

UNTIL TODAY!
I found a government uni with cheap(er than usual) tuition.

And now, I now have a reason to think about what I actually want to take.
Help? :c

Figure out what comes more naturally to you. Whatever it is can always be learned on the side.
Money unfortunately will always be a deal breaker, but never let it decide your value as a person.
Try not to make any impulse decisions. Continue to discuss this with family, friends and colleagues.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 13:30:39 (edited 2014-11-19 13:31:15) Reply

At 11/19/14 01:06 PM, Cairos wrote: Figure out what comes more naturally to you. Whatever it is can always be learned on the side.
Money unfortunately will always be a deal breaker, but never let it decide your value as a person.
Try not to make any impulse decisions. Continue to discuss this with family, friends and colleagues.

By naturally, then definitely something more on drawing.
The reason I wanted to program for a while because games.
But, though I still do find that video games are teh best art form, I rather enjoy them than make one to be honest.

Like I said, I just recently found an actual good and cheap college for fine arts.
So now, I have options.

Been talking to every people that I can.
And, despite the usual topic of money or the future of getting a job, they tend to say if this is something I won't regret.
And, both sides is something I wouldn't regret.
I think, it's a matter of what I enjoy the most now..

Oh and education here is pretty cheap.
Like the cheapest (PUP) is just $6 per sem but the college I'm going (TUP) to is like $200 per sem, which is still cheaper than the normal $500-$1000.

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 14:40:32 Reply

At 11/19/14 01:30 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Been talking to every people that I can.
And, despite the usual topic of money or the future of getting a job, they tend to say if this is something I won't regret.
And, both sides is something I wouldn't regret.
I think, it's a matter of what I enjoy the most now..

I'm currently faced with a similar choice I will have to decide upon during the next few years. I have mainly two concerns with the idea of trying to make a living off of illustration:

The first is economical - "Will there be jobs available for me?" which is an extension of the question "Will I be good enough to make it?". The expression "starving artist" is common, and I really don't want to be incapable of sustaining myself financially.

The second worry I have is "Will a professional career drain the enjoyment out of illustration?". I've heard a few stories of people who went on to chase their creative hobbies only to find their once loved hobby turn into a chore. I suppose there are ways around this and many artists don't end up feeling like that at all - however the thought of having to work some job perceived as a constant struggle is a cause for concern in my opinion.

--

My consensus as for now is that my alternative career path will have more secure jobs, and more jobs overall. I think illustration is something I can have as a hobby my entire life and that I'm better off chasing more realistic dreams.

BBS Signature
Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 21:47:32 Reply

At 11/19/14 10:37 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: The thread doesn't really need activity to mean people are there. It was used more when we would set up skype calls, or stickam rooms as those were temporary. With Tinychat being a constant, it rarely get's bumped as a thread.

What is Tinychat? If the conversation has moved elsewhere I'd love to be a part of it. :)

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 22:52:26 Reply

At 11/19/14 02:40 PM, Havegum wrote: I'm currently faced with a similar choice I will have to decide upon during the next few years. I have mainly two concerns with the idea of trying to make a living off of illustration:
The first is economical - "Will there be jobs available for me?" which is an extension of the question "Will I be good enough to make it?". The expression "starving artist" is common, and I really don't want to be incapable of sustaining myself financially.

I researched that and the art industry here is quite big.
People finding stuff for graphic design and mostly advertising.
But hey, even programming, people tend to can't find jobs here. :c

The second worry I have is "Will a professional career drain the enjoyment out of illustration?". I've heard a few stories of people who went on to chase their creative hobbies only to find their once loved hobby turn into a chore. I suppose there are ways around this and many artists don't end up feeling like that at all - however the thought of having to work some job perceived as a constant struggle is a cause for concern in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm aware of this and I'm kinda fine it.
When I think about, almost every study/job tends to be a chore in the future.

--
My consensus as for now is that my alternative career path will have more secure jobs, and more jobs overall. I think illustration is something I can have as a hobby my entire life and that I'm better off chasing more realistic dreams.

:0
What is your alternative career path?

-------

I'm really researching and talking all the people I could get, and I think I'm going to take Bachelor of Fine Arts Majoring in Advertising.
I'll try to think about it more..

At 11/19/14 09:47 PM, Cherubas wrote: What is Tinychat? If the conversation has moved elsewhere I'd love to be a part of it. :)

Here ya go!
Have fun! c:

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 23:17:23 Reply

Oh yeah forgot to mention.

Say hi to your new art mods.
Cairos, Jazza, and lovingthedark

Go to them with art portal problems now as well.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 23:49:26 Reply

Congrats @Cairos @Jazza and @lovingthedark

JamSession
JamSession
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 23:57:17 Reply

I miss you guys :D

How's it gooooiiing?

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-20 06:07:57 Reply

At 11/19/14 10:52 PM, 123mine123 wrote:
What is your alternative career path?

Some branch of graphic design - The likely internship is a boost in that direction and I consider it a much safer route (even thought competition is still high!)

At 11/19/14 11:57 PM, JamSession wrote: I miss you guys :D

How's it gooooiiing?

You don't have to miss us! Just come by more often ;)
Maybe Sockembop's study group can be a good excuse to hang around more?

BBS Signature
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-20 10:38:38 Reply

At 11/19/14 11:17 PM, ornery wrote: Cairos, Jazza, and lovingthedark

WHOA! Congrats @Cairos, @Jazza and @lovingthedark!

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-20 11:51:14 Reply

At 11/19/14 11:57 PM, JamSession wrote: I miss you guys :D

How's it gooooiiing?

Can't complain. I'm super busy and never have time for anything, but somehow I've still been happy lately. Also I'm drawing more than I have been in the past few years.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-20 21:38:17 (edited 2014-11-20 21:40:41) Reply

Yo I updated that Perspective tutorial with images at long last, check it.

Also hi Jam! I've missed you too.

Oh and tinychat tends to be most reliably active in the morning EST.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

LuisEC
LuisEC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-21 02:48:20 Reply

Cool tutorial lovingthedark! and congrats on those that made moderator!

I guess for teaching purposes its hard to avoid the warping from having the vanishing points so close together, but hopefully people will pick up on the techniques.

Does anyone know any tablet alternatives to Wacom?

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-21 03:10:36 (edited 2014-11-21 03:12:10) Reply

Hey everyone! I found a great website designed to let up to ten long-distance friends watch movies and tv together- it's called Rabb.it and I think we could use it well for things like that study group people have been talking about (or we could just watch movies together but whatever).

There's no real log-in like google would demand and it'd be enough to share a link whenever we start a room in the
Activities Thread. I'd keep the tinychat around and just use this for organized meetups since this needs a host and has a cap.

Rabbit.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-21 03:18:13 Reply

At 11/19/14 11:17 PM, ornery wrote: Oh yeah forgot to mention.

Go to them with art portal problems now as well.

Congrats, y'all.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-21 03:52:02 Reply

At 11/20/14 09:38 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Yo I updated that Perspective tutorial with images at long last, check it.

Since the boxes are so clenched the perpective distortion is really big on some of the examples! Maybe there should be included a paragraph about the relation between the four vanishing points on the horizontal plane, and how closer vanishing points leads to much higher distortion!

Aditionally I think the techniques of finding center in perspective, and duplicating planes in perspective are very useful and important to include. Stuff like plotting curves, multiple vanishing points, and fish-eye lens distortion are also interesting things to cover. There are tons of primers to 1,- 2,- and 3-point perspective, but very few make an attempt to go more in-depth on some of the quirkier behaviours of these techniques.

Also, whoops! Guess I gotta update my emberassingly old tutorial since that's being linked from there as well!

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-21 05:35:28 (edited 2014-11-21 05:40:29) Reply

At 11/21/14 03:52 AM, Havegum wrote: Stuff!

Hey, if you want to write it I'm happy to add it. I did more or less the bare minimum needed to get the points across so I could move on to other tutorials. I'm sure we could do better.

Also, whoops! Guess I gotta update my embarassingly old tutorial since that's being linked from there as well!

woot woot

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-30 10:21:53 Reply

C&H put this out just the other day.

Art Forum Lounge

exobnkr
exobnkr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-30 11:14:18 Reply

At 11/30/14 10:21 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: C&H put this out just the other day.

ah, ah. How many times some people told me the same : work for me, for free, and you will have a lot of exposure. Always associations, clubs, firms. But at the end, you are as poor as at the beginning.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-30 11:41:55 Reply

At 11/30/14 10:21 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: C&H put this out just the other day.

The flabby arse is less of a joke than the request. Bloody hell, the line doesn't work on the wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn and it's still always used. Without fail. It has spread in society through the ranks of people trying to find another way to ask for free shit, a memetic strain of hepatitis.

You'll get to hell and at the un-pearly gates they'll be asking if you're willing to help their arse-poking projects in exchange for exposure, I guaran-fucking-tee it.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-12-08 05:48:12 Reply

In other news, A guy punched a hole through an £8 million Monet painting.

Thoughts?

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature