Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 598,050 Views
  • 17,705 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-30 12:42:32 Reply

I reckon it's about time to start considering Christmas collab ideas.

The one we've come up with in TinyChat is to do something like a giant winter "quilt" containing scenes, and that in order for it to be a game the player has to spot objects provided in a checklist. Unlocking stuff in the checklist opens up new pictures and new things to find.

It would work like the worm, except there's no loop and the player can scroll vertically as well as horizontally. The sides will meet with stitch borders, so having discontinuous sides shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? Any ideas on how to develop this or got a better idea? Ideally we should be aiming for something that'd be cool for the audience to play.


BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-30 15:13:28 Reply

At 10/30/14 02:01 PM, WahyaRanger wrote: Maybe, if you're organizing it, you PM each person participating, telling them what object needs to be hidden in their image.

I think it's mostly letting people do their own thing, but with an aim to add items (and a few red herrings) to their pic.

Few ideas we had in the chat so far was to have lot of Lemons and Illuminati symbols.


BBS Signature
LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-30 15:34:04 Reply

At 10/30/14 03:13 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 10/30/14 02:01 PM, WahyaRanger wrote: Maybe, if you're organizing it, you PM each person participating, telling them what object needs to be hidden in their image.
I think it's mostly letting people do their own thing, but with an aim to add items (and a few red herrings) to their pic.

Few ideas we had in the chat so far was to have lot of Lemons and Illuminati symbols.

The truth is in the details, Sir Turkey. Educated yourself... unless you already are!!!!!!

Art Forum Lounge

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-02 07:28:32 Reply

At 10/30/14 03:34 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: The truth is in the details, Sir Turkey. Educated yourself... unless you already are!!!!!!

*gulp*

==============================

I think the concept I have for the collab seems pretty sold now, but I was wondering if you guys had any feelings to it (pic size is poor, idea is pretty shit, etc)

- The collab is about an Illuminati Christmas!
- Each contributer has to make 1+ Christmas card (guideline is 550x400 pixels either way, but no more than 600 pixels). Other than that the content of the card is up to you, however ...
- ... each card will contain illuminati references (because Christmas is an illuminati scheme, of course). These could be put in by the artist, or somebody else could put them in. But they have to be subtle! The player has to find the references to win medals / unlock new pics.
- The collab can scroll up and down, but unlike the worm there is no need for connections, so deadlines are more relaxed.
- We'll put lots of pyramids and stuff in, and I think I have a pretty natty "Where's Baphomet" idea that could work.

Thoughts? I hope to get this started later tonight or tomorrow.


BBS Signature
LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-02 11:20:51 Reply

At 11/2/14 07:28 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Thoughts? I hope to get this started later tonight or tomorrow.

I actually think that's a good idea. once it's confirmed I would get started right away.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-03 03:09:49 Reply

Illuminati... Christmas..? Wat? xD


| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 | Failing artist T^T |

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-03 04:52:20 Reply

Just start the thread already :D


BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-03 16:20:51 Reply

Hello art forum. I am on meds that work now, and switching my major to art. I am planning on becoming a professional artist now :O

LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 00:53:16 Reply

Are there any Art forum users who host study groups?

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 08:16:00 (edited 2014-11-16 08:16:12) Reply

At 11/16/14 12:53 AM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: Are there any Art forum users who host study groups?

This. ^
That would be awesome actually.
If there is, I would probably take drawing more seriously.

...I'm slowly losing motivation drawing again. :c


| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 | Failing artist T^T |

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 12:44:20 Reply

At 11/16/14 12:53 AM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: Are there any Art forum users who host study groups?

I'm not in one now, but I would definitely join if one were started, or maybe if someone came across one!

Maybe a thread here would suffice, with a structure among the lines of "post one 1h study, and try to give feedback to another every day" or something - maybe with monthly themes?

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 14:02:52 Reply

At 11/16/14 12:53 AM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: Are there any Art forum users who host study groups?

What would that constitute?

11/3/14 04:20 PM, PMMurphy wrote:

Hello art forum. I am on meds that work now, and switching my major to art. I am planning on becoming a professional artist now :O

Awesome!


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 15:05:11 Reply

So guys, I was just thinking about how drawing human hands is pretty much my favorite thing to do because by the time i get them to look like a claw or a talon (close enough, right?) It's in an entirely different pose than i intended so all I have to do is erase and re-draw the rest of the image to end up with a painting of an owl flipping me the bird. It's fucking great!


BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 16:25:27 Reply

erase and re-draw the rest of the image to end up with a painting of an owl flipping me the bird. It's fucking great!

I love this post

LurkinMcClerkin
LurkinMcClerkin
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-16 20:40:08 Reply

At 11/16/14 02:02 PM, lovingthedark wrote: What would that constitute?

I was thinking just a group getting together maybe once or twice a week, and just drawing together. Maybe something like a google hangout or we can just use the tinychat. And people who cannot make the hangouts just do what Havegum said and just post their daily studies to a forum thread we'd start for it. The Art Weeklies thread used to give something like that but I was hoping for something where people get to be a bit more social when they study because we all know how boring that can be.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-17 01:51:56 Reply

At 11/16/14 08:40 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: stuff

Sounds great to me.


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

LuisEC
LuisEC
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 21:20:57 Reply

I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.
Also..there's no way to post multiple images huh?

Anyway, I'm trying to get a little more involved in the community here, everyone's been pretty supportive of the stuff I make so it's been pretty great.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 21:54:10 Reply

At 11/18/14 09:20 PM, LuisEC wrote: I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.
Also..there's no way to post multiple images huh?

Anyway, I'm trying to get a little more involved in the community here, everyone's been pretty supportive of the stuff I make so it's been pretty great.

Quite a few artists from this forum used to hangout on tinychat (as well as omegle before it closed) and maybe still do(?). Also a few skype and google hangouts. Many of those people don't seem to be around much, if at all.


BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:28:16 Reply

At 11/18/14 09:54 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 11/18/14 09:20 PM, LuisEC wrote: I think it'd be cool to have an NG artists google hangout.
Also..there's no way to post multiple images huh?

Anyway, I'm trying to get a little more involved in the community here, everyone's been pretty supportive of the stuff I make so it's been pretty great.
Quite a few artists from this forum used to hangout on tinychat (as well as omegle before it closed) and maybe still do(?). Also a few skype and google hangouts. Many of those people don't seem to be around much, if at all.

A few of us still come and go on Tinychatfrom time to time, although the room definitely has times when its completely empty.

Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:30:41 Reply

Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-18 22:37:05 Reply

At 11/18/14 10:30 PM, Cherubas wrote: Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?

You canfind the thread you're probably talking about here.

Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 03:02:19 Reply

At 11/18/14 10:37 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 11/18/14 10:30 PM, Cherubas wrote: Long ago, back in the before times, there were threads where people were offering to draw other people's OCs just for fun. Did that die?
You canfind the thread you're probably talking about here.

That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 07:19:44 Reply

At 11/19/14 03:02 AM, Cherubas wrote: That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.

Start er up again. If you post it they will come.


BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 10:37:43 Reply

At 11/19/14 07:19 AM, Sockembop wrote:
At 11/19/14 03:02 AM, Cherubas wrote: That would be the one. Doesn't look like it's been active any time recently. Bummer.
Start er up again. If you post it they will come.

The thread doesn't really need activity to mean people are there. It was used more when we would set up skype calls, or stickam rooms as those were temporary. With Tinychat being a constant, it rarely get's bumped as a thread.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 12:07:14 Reply

Having a dilemma.

Before, I was dead set on taking programming as my course when I get to college.
Also the reason there isn't any good uni/college for fine arts.

UNTIL TODAY!
I found a government uni with cheap(er than usual) tuition.

And now, I now have a reason to think about what I actually want to take.
Help? :c


| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 | Failing artist T^T |

BBS Signature
Cairos
Cairos
  • Member since: Nov. 25, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 23
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 13:06:55 Reply

At 11/19/14 12:07 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Having a dilemma.

Before, I was dead set on taking programming as my course when I get to college.
Also the reason there isn't any good uni/college for fine arts.

UNTIL TODAY!
I found a government uni with cheap(er than usual) tuition.

And now, I now have a reason to think about what I actually want to take.
Help? :c

Figure out what comes more naturally to you. Whatever it is can always be learned on the side.
Money unfortunately will always be a deal breaker, but never let it decide your value as a person.
Try not to make any impulse decisions. Continue to discuss this with family, friends and colleagues.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 13:30:39 (edited 2014-11-19 13:31:15) Reply

At 11/19/14 01:06 PM, Cairos wrote: Figure out what comes more naturally to you. Whatever it is can always be learned on the side.
Money unfortunately will always be a deal breaker, but never let it decide your value as a person.
Try not to make any impulse decisions. Continue to discuss this with family, friends and colleagues.

By naturally, then definitely something more on drawing.
The reason I wanted to program for a while because games.
But, though I still do find that video games are teh best art form, I rather enjoy them than make one to be honest.

Like I said, I just recently found an actual good and cheap college for fine arts.
So now, I have options.

Been talking to every people that I can.
And, despite the usual topic of money or the future of getting a job, they tend to say if this is something I won't regret.
And, both sides is something I wouldn't regret.
I think, it's a matter of what I enjoy the most now..

Oh and education here is pretty cheap.
Like the cheapest (PUP) is just $6 per sem but the college I'm going (TUP) to is like $200 per sem, which is still cheaper than the normal $500-$1000.


| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 | Failing artist T^T |

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 14:40:32 Reply

At 11/19/14 01:30 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Been talking to every people that I can.
And, despite the usual topic of money or the future of getting a job, they tend to say if this is something I won't regret.
And, both sides is something I wouldn't regret.
I think, it's a matter of what I enjoy the most now..

I'm currently faced with a similar choice I will have to decide upon during the next few years. I have mainly two concerns with the idea of trying to make a living off of illustration:

The first is economical - "Will there be jobs available for me?" which is an extension of the question "Will I be good enough to make it?". The expression "starving artist" is common, and I really don't want to be incapable of sustaining myself financially.

The second worry I have is "Will a professional career drain the enjoyment out of illustration?". I've heard a few stories of people who went on to chase their creative hobbies only to find their once loved hobby turn into a chore. I suppose there are ways around this and many artists don't end up feeling like that at all - however the thought of having to work some job perceived as a constant struggle is a cause for concern in my opinion.

--

My consensus as for now is that my alternative career path will have more secure jobs, and more jobs overall. I think illustration is something I can have as a hobby my entire life and that I'm better off chasing more realistic dreams.


BBS Signature
Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 21:47:32 Reply

At 11/19/14 10:37 AM, bigjonny13 wrote: The thread doesn't really need activity to mean people are there. It was used more when we would set up skype calls, or stickam rooms as those were temporary. With Tinychat being a constant, it rarely get's bumped as a thread.

What is Tinychat? If the conversation has moved elsewhere I'd love to be a part of it. :)

123mine123
123mine123
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-11-19 22:52:26 Reply

At 11/19/14 02:40 PM, Havegum wrote: I'm currently faced with a similar choice I will have to decide upon during the next few years. I have mainly two concerns with the idea of trying to make a living off of illustration:
The first is economical - "Will there be jobs available for me?" which is an extension of the question "Will I be good enough to make it?". The expression "starving artist" is common, and I really don't want to be incapable of sustaining myself financially.

I researched that and the art industry here is quite big.
People finding stuff for graphic design and mostly advertising.
But hey, even programming, people tend to can't find jobs here. :c

The second worry I have is "Will a professional career drain the enjoyment out of illustration?". I've heard a few stories of people who went on to chase their creative hobbies only to find their once loved hobby turn into a chore. I suppose there are ways around this and many artists don't end up feeling like that at all - however the thought of having to work some job perceived as a constant struggle is a cause for concern in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm aware of this and I'm kinda fine it.
When I think about, almost every study/job tends to be a chore in the future.

--
My consensus as for now is that my alternative career path will have more secure jobs, and more jobs overall. I think illustration is something I can have as a hobby my entire life and that I'm better off chasing more realistic dreams.

:0
What is your alternative career path?

-------

I'm really researching and talking all the people I could get, and I think I'm going to take Bachelor of Fine Arts Majoring in Advertising.
I'll try to think about it more..

At 11/19/14 09:47 PM, Cherubas wrote: What is Tinychat? If the conversation has moved elsewhere I'd love to be a part of it. :)

Here ya go!
Have fun! c:


| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 | Failing artist T^T |

BBS Signature