Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 716,550 Views
  • 17,813 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Daverom
Daverom
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-29 22:16:51 Reply

A famous writer/producer should probably know basic rules of capitalization.
And in general it just makes the posts seem dumber than they actually are.

It's also more effort than just typing normally.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-29 22:35:03 Reply

At 11/29/13 10:16 PM, Daverom wrote: A famous writer/producer should probably know basic rules of capitalization.
And in general it just makes the posts seem dumber than they actually are.

It's also more effort than just typing normally.

It's a bit of a dumb reason for dismissing an entire person.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-29 23:41:10 Reply

At 11/29/13 04:52 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 11/29/13 10:27 AM, Havegum wrote: So apparently the poster for the new Oldboy movie is stolen.
Here's an open letter from the original artist.
... And here's his response:
The fact that Spike Lee capitalizes the first letter of every word means he loses all credibility.

While that's a fairly snappy sounding analysis, if we're looking at this seriously I'd argue that Lee's credibility is far more damaged by refusing to entertain the notion and siding with the ad agency without looking into it. I don't know the full story, hell it may have been resolved by now and Lee vindicated, but working artists get screwed over by corporate entities all night long, it's almost to be expected.

A terse, dismissive response from Lee comes off as insufferably arrogant, especially considering the tone of the original letter plainly asking for help. I'd say that an open letter in a case like this is called for and isn't intended to damage someone's credibility, but it's necessary to be heard and get some measure of support.

The capitalization thing is just--barf, but it's not relevant and I see certain people do that on the Internet often, it strikes me more of as a newbie/ignorance thing than anything else. No one has likely corrected him in a way that it was able to sink into his head. Typing that way does make you look like a wang, though.

Also; hi.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-30 00:20:30 Reply

At 11/29/13 04:52 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: The fact that Spike Lee capitalizes the first letter of every word means he loses all credibility.

I was making a joke here, although it seems to have taken off.
I was just pointing out something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual issue at hand and making it seem like that was the real issue, even though it clearly isn't.

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-30 06:51:24 Reply

At 11/29/13 11:41 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: a bunch

Who the fuck are you?


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-30 17:03:46 Reply

Letter won't load for me anymore, but I did see it when it was originally up. I also have the gut feeling that information is being left out. Realistically, the artist probably signed something he shouldn't have signed/didn't understand.


Word to your mother

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-11-30 17:33:45 Reply

At 11/30/13 05:03 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Letter won't load for me anymore, but I did see it when it was originally up. I also have the gut feeling that information is being left out. Realistically, the artist probably signed something he shouldn't have signed/didn't understand.

Yeah, it's loading a blank page.
Something fishy is afoot!

Captain
Captain
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-01 17:35:58 Reply

At 11/6/13 09:59 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/5/13 04:21 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 11/5/13 01:47 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Also I'm leaning towards a XMas worm.
Is there enough time for that?
...this made me laugh!

It's been foreseen.


Look at my art!

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-02 11:31:34 Reply

Something I've only recently found out in Photoshop CS6, but didn't know existed, is the Kuler tool.
It can be found under Window > Extensions > Kuler.

It allows you to pick palettes made by other users ... or make your own from scratch using the colour wheel.

Art Forum Lounge


BBS Signature
Nacco
Nacco
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-05 17:22:04 Reply

At 12/2/13 11:31 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Something I've only recently found out in Photoshop CS6, but didn't know existed, is the Kuler tool.
It can be found under Window > Extensions > Kuler.

It allows you to pick palettes made by other users ... or make your own from scratch using the colour wheel.

Damn, to bad I only have CS5 :( I really want to get into using color pallets because I usually have hard time getting my colors pretty and have to cheat a little by adjusting color levels and hue/saturation.

Speaking of fancy software: this 98 year old guy with bad eyesight paints better pictures in MS paint then I ever could in Photoshop. He's pretty awesome.

radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-07 01:40:21 Reply

Hey everyone today is Ornery's birthday so let's embarrass him with declarations of affection and well-wishing type stuff, okay?


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-07 08:00:57 Reply

At 12/7/13 01:40 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Hey everyone today is Ornery's birthday so let's embarrass him with declarations of affection and well-wishing type stuff, okay?

Orn has a birthday?
I thought all the grumpyness in the world just melded together one day and he spawned from that cesspool of misery and contempt.

radiodark
radiodark
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-07 08:52:53 Reply

At 12/7/13 08:00 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 12/7/13 01:40 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Hey everyone today is Ornery's birthday so let's embarrass him with declarations of affection and well-wishing type stuff, okay?
Orn has a birthday?
I thought all the grumpyness in the world just melded together one day and he spawned from that cesspool of misery and contempt.

Today was that day!


Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat
formerly lovingthedark

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-08 18:09:33 Reply

Hello sweethearts. I need some Photoshop advice.

I am currently working (as most probably know) on my master's animation. I'm looking for a way to save/edit/save/... my progress, but every save needs a different number. Save As... takes a lot of time however, and would like this to be automated with the click of a button, probably an action.

Before you suggest batch though, batch only saves a bunch of files at once whilst I need a continuous stream.

I've looked around quite a bit but simply can not find a good solution. If you have an idea on how to do this (a string of actions, a script to download,...), drop a post!


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-08 18:12:55 Reply

At 12/8/13 06:09 PM, test-object wrote: I am currently working (as most probably know) on my master's animation. I'm looking for a way to save/edit/save/... my progress, but every save needs a different number. Save As... takes a lot of time however, and would like this to be automated with the click of a button, probably an action.

Just to be clear, you want something like Shift+Ctrl+S, except it automatically increments the file name?


BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-08 18:17:20 Reply

At 12/8/13 06:12 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 12/8/13 06:09 PM, test-object wrote: I am currently working (as most probably know) on my master's animation. I'm looking for a way to save/edit/save/... my progress, but every save needs a different number. Save As... takes a lot of time however, and would like this to be automated with the click of a button, probably an action.
Just to be clear, you want something like Shift+Ctrl+S, except it automatically increments the file name?

Yeah, but it'd be neat if it could go a step further, so I don't even have to press "Okay" every time.


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-08 21:58:59 Reply

There you go Test, small change. Now it will save as
file1 file2 file3 instead of 001002
http://pastelink.me/dl/bfecb9
For anyone else this is a script to save psd versions, but the first version needs to end with 0 so myfile0.psd before using this
to use it make a new action, then record. The only step is file>scripts>browse>select the script and close the action. Bind it to a key and it will save a new psd each time.

This scripting system is really weird, i wanna figure out a lot more things but if i add a "v"+ instead of saving it as filev1 filev2 it will save filev1 file vv2 file vvv3 etc. will figure it out though

Lucky
Lucky
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-08 22:15:52 Reply

AAAnd I got you a jpeg script BUT it can only save if it saves a psd file since otherwise it will overwrite the old one
So yeah http://pastelink.me/dl/0964d1

#target photoshop;
if (app.documents.length > 0) {
    //psd vars
    var Name = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
var EXT = app.activeDocument.name.toLowerCase().match(/[^\.]+$/).toString();
var newNumber = zeroPad(Number(Name.match(/\d+$/))+1,1);
var newName = Name.replace(/\d+$/,newNumber) + ".";
var v= 'version'
var version=0
var saveFile = new File(app.activeDocument.path +"/" + newName+ EXT);



var thedoc = app.activeDocument;
// getting the name and location;
var docName = thedoc.name;
if (docName.indexOf(".") != -1) {var basename = docName.match(/(.*)\.[^\.]+$/)[1]}
else {var basename = docName};
// getting the location, if unsaved save to desktop;
// create folder if it does not exist;
// jpg options;
var jpegOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
jpegOptions.quality = 12;
jpegOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
jpegOptions.matte = MatteType.NONE;
//save jpg as a copy:
  var saveFile = new File(app.activeDocument.path +"/" + newName+ EXT);
    SavePSD(saveFile)
thedoc.saveAs(saveFile,jpegOptions,true);
};



//psd script

function zeroPad(n, s) { 
   n = n.toString(); 
   while (n.length < s)  n = '0' + n; 
   return n; 
}

function SavePSD(saveFile){ 
psdSaveOptions = new PhotoshopSaveOptions(); 
psdSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true; 
psdSaveOptions.alphaChannels = true;  
activeDocument.saveAs(saveFile, psdSaveOptions, false, Extension.LOWERCASE); 
}

Note: i'm really bad at coding and have never used this language, so this is a mashup of code found on the web

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 00:22:13 Reply

Who has two thumbs and a fiance? This guy.

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 06:18:58 Reply

At 12/8/13 10:15 PM, Lucky wrote: AAAnd I got you a jpeg script BUT it can only save if it saves a psd file since otherwise it will overwrite the old one
So yeah http://pastelink.me/dl/0964d1

We're getting there, now to get rid of the psd file it makes as well.

At 12/9/13 12:22 AM, MajesticBob wrote: Who has two thumbs and a fiance? This guy.

Congratulations on the new thumbs!


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 06:28:58 Reply

At 12/9/13 12:22 AM, MajesticBob wrote: Who has two thumbs and a fiance? This guy.

Congratulations! Wish I had two thumbs.


BBS Signature
PotentApogee
PotentApogee
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 07:10:40 Reply

Whistle points, y'all. The guy has 40 troll art reviews.
http://lonel-sandy.newgrounds.com/reviews/

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 09:27:21 Reply

Solution has been found!

This can save PSDs, PNGs and Delete current PSDs all separately with numbers behind them. This could help more of you as well in saving WIPS and versions of drawing.


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 09:27:42 Reply

At 12/9/13 07:10 AM, PotentApogee wrote: Whistle points, y'all. The guy has 40 troll art reviews.
http://lonel-sandy.newgrounds.com/reviews/

Taken care of. In the future just pm a review mod about it instead. If they need the extra whistles in order to delete the reviews they will ask

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 09:29:26 Reply

At 12/9/13 09:27 AM, ornery wrote: Taken care of.

wooo i'm a gold whistle


BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 59
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 09:34:56 Reply

At 12/9/13 09:29 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: wooo i'm a gold whistle

i tried once...


BBS Signature
PotentApogee
PotentApogee
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 10:16:10 Reply

At 12/9/13 09:27 AM, ornery wrote:
At 12/9/13 07:10 AM, PotentApogee wrote: Whistle points, y'all. The guy has 40 troll art reviews.
http://lonel-sandy.newgrounds.com/reviews/
Taken care of. In the future just pm a review mod about it instead. If they need the extra whistles in order to delete the reviews they will ask

Ah right, thank you. :)

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 11:11:33 Reply

Thank you for the congrats. I have never been so happy. My life is now changed forever. Never thought I'd see the day when I would have two thumbs. I mean not one then a five year plan for the other, like originally planned. But TWO! Package deal.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-09 15:56:45 Reply

At 12/9/13 11:11 AM, MajesticBob wrote: Thank you for the congrats. I have never been so happy. My life is now changed forever. Never thought I'd see the day when I would have two thumbs. I mean not one then a five year plan for the other, like originally planned. But TWO! Package deal.

It's like a finger.... but shorter and grippier!

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-12-10 01:33:46 Reply

At 12/9/13 03:56 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 12/9/13 11:11 AM, MajesticBob wrote:

It's like a finger.... but shorter and grippier!

Doors are no longer a challenge, I tell you what.