Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-28 23:08:19 Reply

At 1/28/13 10:56 PM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:50 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:09 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Yes you have. It's basically Root Beer. Some say there's a difference (like me) but root beer is just a watered down version of Sarsaparilla. Anyway, the recipe. For public record:

Make a simple syrup mixing 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a sauce pan over low heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved and the water has cooked down to a syrup Mix in 1 table spoon of Sarsaparilla extract. fill a two liter bottle half way with water. Add your Sarsasyrup and about a Teaspoon of dry activated yeast. Mix vigorously. Then add more water filling about 80% of the bottle. Let sit for 48 hours. Refrigerate and enjoy. *Burp* the bottle by opening it after the 48 hours and every 24 hours to relieve the excess gas until the bottle is about half way empty so the bottle does not explode.
good job number 1, your star captain is pleased.
it seems I have some cooking to do this weekend... when I find some sarsaparilla extract...
didn't I read a tutorial on how to make extracts with vodka some where....
yep, I'm already putting the "Beer" back in "Root Beer...."
If you cook fresh ginger in the simple syrup (Basically candying the ginger) then strain the ginger chunks out, and use the ginger syrup instead of making Sarsasyrup you can makeGinger Ale instead. Or add Grenadine to the syrup and make Cherry soda.

h-how... do you know this...
I fucking love ginger ale...
I'm also assuming I can make the drink stronger or weaker depending on the amount of extracts/seasonings i add.
I wonder if I can boil down an orange or something for some orange flavored root beer... or... Gasp!
I can make that Orange Coke....
o.o....
this is either going to be really good... or really, really bad....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 00:09:46 Reply

Thought about getting a brush for some serious inking. I am looking for one that does good outlining and doesn't cost a fortune. Any ideas?

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 00:18:31 Reply

At 1/28/13 11:08 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:56 PM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:50 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:09 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Magic
h-how... do you know this...
I fucking love ginger ale...
I'm also assuming I can make the drink stronger or weaker depending on the amount of extracts/seasonings i add.
I wonder if I can boil down an orange or something for some orange flavored root beer... or... Gasp!
I can make that Orange Coke....
o.o....
this is either going to be really good... or really, really bad....

I know all, see all.

You are right in your assumption. If you make the the ginger ale version, when you mix the syrup with the water add 1/2 a cup Grenadine. Instant 2 liters of Shirley Temple. Just like the Chinese restaurants. For added flavor cook cherries with the ginger. Cola believe it or not is kinda difficult to make. Unless your familiar with making stove top caramel.

to make cola you need:
1/4 of a Tablespoon of Coca Extract
0.75oz of Citric Acid
0.20oz of Caffeine
0.25oz of Vanilla Extract
0.30 oz of Caramel
1/4 cup lime juice
Make your simple syrup as described above, add/cook orange as you would the ginger, leave the peel on (Assuming you want your Orange Coke) Then add the other ingredients to your syrup and mix as described above. These ingredient amounts are super tentative. Since the core cola recipe (which I have never made) is for a much larger batch. Take care using Caffeine. That shit is dangerous.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 01:06:04 Reply

Speaking of Sasparilla Root and stuff; my culinary student-ness kicked in and now I must make a root beer sauce for ice cream. I will tell you how it is!

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 02:08:15 Reply

God damn it you guys can you stop begging for money on every collab request thread, get a job or freelance elsewhere. It's pretty obvious when people aren't providing payment if they don't put it up on the original post.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 06:26:21 Reply

At 1/29/13 02:08 AM, Lucky wrote: God damn it you guys can you stop begging for money on every collab request thread, get a job or freelance elsewhere. It's pretty obvious when people aren't providing payment if they don't put it up on the original post.

on the flip side its pretty stupid when people ask for a large amount of work and then when asked about payment say that the artist doesnt deserve any payment because its all just rubbish/for free/for fun anyways. Escalus gets all poopy when that happens.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 06:33:07 Reply

At 1/29/13 06:26 AM, Template88 wrote:
on the flip side its pretty stupid when people ask for a large amount of work and then when asked about payment say that the artist doesnt deserve any payment because its all just rubbish/for free/for fun anyways.

Yeah, but the OP will come to the conclusion that they're asking for too much without compensation just from the lack of responses- they don't need us telling them they're assholes for being broke. That just makes us look like jerks.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 06:42:08 Reply

from their perspective we probably look like jerks regardless for being too stuck up to do their work for them for free.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 07:24:11 Reply

At 1/29/13 06:42 AM, Template88 wrote: from their perspective we probably look like jerks regardless for being too stuck up to do their work for them for free.

No, usually it's more like the lack of response leads them to wallow in their own self pity and they just go away because nobody cares about them, instead of getting angry when people start throwing a hissy fit.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 07:25:44 Reply

At 1/29/13 02:08 AM, Lucky wrote: God damn it you guys can you stop begging for money on every collab request thread, get a job or freelance elsewhere. It's pretty obvious when people aren't providing payment if they don't put it up on the original post.

Or if you're interested in doing whatever the requester is asking but are not willing to work without money you could make a respectful offer, or negotiate with them privately, rather than make a big deal about shaming people who don't want to pay.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 07:47:46 Reply

You're doing a disservice to the common predicament these threads find themselves and obviously angling your statement in favour of the prospective collaborator (they're not looking for money, do it'd be presumptuous to call them a client). Badly I might add. Don't quit your day job, propaganda wouldn't work out for you.

The people who post in those threads berating the inquiry as asking for a handout aren't doing so because they'd take the job otherwise, they're doing so because they feel like their skills are being taken for granted and not treated with respect. It doesn't help that the inquirers are obviously intimidated by the prospect of working with skilled artists and therefore feel the intense need to justify people working with them for free (attempting to offer essentially meaningless rewards which have never convinced anyone), so at the slightest provocation they launch into these paragraph long spiels trying to paint themselves as the victim that hinder them like all fuck. Pro-tip; there is no victimization, on either side. Stop acting like it.

These intense insecurities play off each other, perpetually exacerbate themselves and the thread goes to shit. Repeat that a hundred times and voila, you've summed up every non-sketchbook thread in the Art Forum. It's practically a drinking game at this point.

You can't see the forest for the trees and neither can anyone else. Congratulations on being fucking stupid, I need a drink. Something bitter.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 07:48:23 Reply

so a buddy brought this to my attention the other day.
Adobe now allows student licensed versions and software to be used professionally after graduation. Best I can gather is they started doing this some time around CS4 or 5

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use

Damn near makes me want to go get enrolled somewhere just to get the cheap ass programs...

Discuss

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 09:41:22 Reply

Adobe's really aware that their programs' status as industry standards is dependent on their products being taught in schools. They signed some sort of deal last year with my art school to give everyone in the school free copies of the Creative Suites (i mean, it's paid for by our ridiculously high tuitions, but still). It's the hook that makes lifetime customers.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 09:56:29 Reply

At 1/29/13 09:41 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Adobe's really aware that their programs' status as industry standards is dependent on their products being taught in schools.

Are they? I mean, I can see how that is for Microsoft, especially since outside of gaming, they aren't particularly better or worse then their competitors that a simple transition period wouldn't overcome, transition that most people don't want to deal with. So their constant school deals and notably static GUI made them a staple in computing.

But compared to the other photo-editing programs, Photoshop is noticeably good. Intuitive and aesthetically interface, easily customized and responsive controls, both of which for a lot more then people give them credit for. Despite my high school relying on Gimp, the moment Photoshop, even the free, stripped down version of 7, became available, everyone switched. And it was so much better.

That doesn't justify the absurd price for a piece of software, but Adobe has more going for it then pre-emptive business tactics.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 13:03:36 Reply

I wasn't gonna post about this because I figure anyone who cares knows what I think about it already, but now it's come up agian and I'm drukn so I'll say i thwere:
I think you're all a bunch of bitches and should have gotten banned the moment you posted in that thread without anything productive to add/say.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 14:16:42 Reply

At 1/29/13 07:47 AM, Lintire wrote:

Pro-tip; there is no victimization, on either side. Stop acting like it.

I'm not, I'm saying these argument threads are fucking stupid

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 14:42:00 Reply

aspiring storyboard artist have a look here

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 15:23:41 Reply

At 1/28/13 02:17 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 1/28/13 02:10 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:47 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:44 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

I know, right? That would be the point!

Because, tits...

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 15:27:17 Reply

At 1/28/13 05:07 PM, Felis wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:44 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: can you pass off any advice for paneling and writing?
Find a book by Scott McCloud called "Making Comics", read it, be enlightened. Or find an online .pdf, who cares.

It's quite a helpful book. By no means should it be your only source of advice (opinions based off of one source tend to be incomplete or flat out wrong), but I would definitely read it if I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

Yes, the Making Comics book is a compilation of a ton of sources already, the bibliography for it is two pages long, bite me.

Hmm...Your offer intrigues me. Is it an entertaining read at least? I like my source material to be entertaining as well, but I guess in my condition, whether reference material is entertaining or not is not applicable. Any advice would be well appreciated.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 16:48:46 Reply

At 1/29/13 02:16 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/29/13 07:47 AM, Lintire wrote:
Pro-tip; there is no victimization, on either side. Stop acting like it.
I'm not, I'm saying these argument threads are fucking stupid

I don't think they're really that stupid.

For some reason people think it's okay to ask artists to provide they skills for free as if they have no real value. If you were a carpenter and every day your shop was visited by people who wanted you to build them a fence but didn't want to pay you to do so you would probably tell them to gtfo.

It's insulting that people devalue a skill that has taken you many hours to develop when they would never treat a lawyer or a chef or a plumber that way. If artistic skill really had no value then it would be fine but if that were the case there wouldn't be so many people coming here to ask for it (for free). I can't blame anyone for being a little angry about it.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 16:59:08 Reply

I just don't see the point in responding to request threads you're not interested in. At all. If you feel insulted by the fact that the guy takes artists for granted, well, that's too bad. Just remember that your actions reflect on the forums as a whole.

I mean for the love of God, do you go around looking for job postings in the newspaper, and then call those jobs to tell them in an abbrassive and haughty tone why you think their job posting sucks and why you're not interested in working for them? Of course not, because it's completely ridiculous.

The lack of replies to their request thread is a strong enough message, and even THEN, just because no one's posted on the actual thread, doesn't mean the OP didn't get any PMs from interested parties.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 17:49:26 Reply

Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature. If all goes well this should solve any of these stupid request threads. Once that thing really gets off and running, we can just start referring requests to it instead of acting like a bunch of asshats. Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 17:59:51 Reply

At 1/29/13 03:23 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

Because, tits...

What.

Is the fact that it's about a lesbian romance some sort of punchline in your comic?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:12:18 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 1/29/13 03:23 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

Because, tits...
What.

Is the fact that it's about a lesbian romance some sort of punchline in your comic?

Nah, not really. I was just teasing. The ultimate point of the comic is to tell the story of a lesbian wild-child (not wild as in tomboy-ish, but rather, someone who likes to fool around...A lot).

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:14:36 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Sounds good.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:47:12 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature.

Wow, that is... really cool...
how come this is the first I've heard of this?

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 19:36:18 Reply

My thing is why isnt there just one big request thread, stickied or not? Or why arent all requests moved to the collaboration forum? I mean it isnt that big of a deal but it might make the forum more arty and less 1 post wonder wants an entire project for free. The only problem to doing that would be making the entire forum like 90% less active. lul.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:20:10 Reply

At 1/29/13 07:36 PM, Template88 wrote: My thing is why isnt there just one big request thread, stickied or not?

been tried, never gets used, sinks to the bottom, gets forgotten by the regs, and the newbs don't know/think to look for it.
sadly, not trying to be mean here, but your line there kind of proves my statement...

Damnit. I didn't want in this discussion .Can we go back to talking about cooking up some more soda, or at least the adobe thing....

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:36:14 Reply

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature. If all goes well this should solve any of these stupid request threads. Once that thing really gets off and running, we can just start referring requests to it instead of acting like a bunch of asshats. Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Yeah, I just found out about it. It seems really cool. It's a really unique and useful feature.

I don't see a way to take your "advertisement" down actively. I suspect it's probably because i haven't made one yet though.

It also might be a nice idea to have a reputation system like ebay does so you can see if people keep bailing on there partners. If there were a way to prevent it from being abused that is.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:53:13 Reply

At 1/29/13 08:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Damnit. I didn't want in this discussion .Can we go back to talking about cooking up some more soda, or at least the adobe thing....

I think making your own soda (or pop as many as many of us Canadians call it) is a totally insane idea. I would have never even considered the possibility on my own but now I really want to try it.

I did a quick google search for a homemade Dr. Pepper recipe and instead stumbled upon a list of the 23 flavors it's made up of. Wow. That is some brew... Tomato? Really?

1. Amaretto
2. Almond
3. Blackberry
4. Black Licorice
5. Carrot
6. Clove
7. Cherry
8. Caramel
9. Cola
10. Ginger
11. Juniper
12. Lemon