New Topic Respond to this Topic
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

lets just go to the side for a bit for a pointless expression of words...

so yeah, ive been doing this digital method of drawing now on Photoshop for a year and I recently just started doing doodles again on paper, nothing too new or interesting...

initial feeling is that I'm more dexterous, more delicate and above all else more accurate with my lines, my shading is also more smove than what it was before and the feeling of 1-1 drawing is nicer but above all else the ability of rotating the page is a missed factor, I truly do love that ability, its something they outright missed in digital drawing, and it feels so organic and looks much better in comparison.

It's a better drawing experience and educates you more, but digital art is easier and in the long run cheaper.

so yeah that's pretty much what I wanted to say

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 06:42 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 1/26/13 06:40 PM, M-Maher wrote: smove
The moment I noticed that my attention span went right out of the window.

fuck, I blame the communists for my poor literary skills.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 08:00 PM Reply

Rotating the canvas is something they've added in the latest photoshops and any reputable art program made in the past few years also usually has it. So cs5+, sai, and i believe manga studio had it as well, of programs I've used.

it's kind of up to the person what method of drawing is better for learning to draw, yes traditional is the time tested way, but everyone learns differently, and as long as you're drawing you're learning etc etc etc.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

Fun Fact: If you use epoxy spray on glass to seal in the paint but also have an area that is etched, it will fill in the etch effectively erasing your design. Luckily two things: 1) if you catch it in time paint thinner can remove it restoring the etch (though you may have to go over it with tool or paste to make sure the image is fully restored) 2) I found a neat way to "erase" mistakes I might make while etching.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 1/24/13 10:01 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Speaking as a girl, amazing drawings definitely raise my opinion of a fellow, but if I didn't find him otherwise intelligent/attractive/sensible/good natured that wouldn't be enough to get him laid.

I'm so sensible I look both ways before crossing the street, ladies.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 11:20 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 06:40 PM, M-Maher wrote: It's a better drawing experience and educates you more, but digital art is easier and in the long run cheaper.

Traditional art isn't necessarily expensive. You can draw on anything with almost anything, and a sketchbook and some writing utensils is a much cheaper initial investment than a tablet and a laptop is. Plus you're left with hard copies immediately, so you don't have to further invest in a printer, paper and ink for an equivalent product.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 11:20 PM, lovingthedark wrote:

Assuming you already have a laptop it's possible to get a cheap tablet (I think Nae's mentioned a few). And if printing isn't crucial, you don't need to invest in that either. Now, buying a small set of pencils and some okay paper is still probably cheaper, but being set for drawing digitally isn't that much of a leap.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Most of you most likely already heard from my facebook page but i'm going to be selling prints of my pixel art pretty soon. I have a few ideas as to what kind of canvas paper I want to use but I thought i'd run it by you folks first. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the whole printing process, this being the first time iv'e ever done this. So if anyone here has a more extensive opinion as to what I should use feel free to chime in.

What i'm looking into now is Epson's bullshit and this dog shit.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 04:56 AM Reply

I like the high quality matte papers, myself- the canvas will have extra texture that isn't necessary for printing, though I've used it for digital paintings that looked a lot like oil paintings. Glossy papers tend to be shiny and gross. Is there a printing place near you you can look at? I think they'd probably have samples. The velvet is probably nice but I've never printed on it.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 06:33 AM Reply

I'd personally stay away from anything with texture when it comes to pixelart.. unless you have really big pixels.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 06:33 AM, J-qb wrote: I'd personally stay away from anything with texture when it comes to pixelart.. unless you have really big pixels.

Now why in the absolute fuck would you say that?

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 07:53 AM Reply

At 1/26/13 11:06 PM, Aigis wrote: I'm so sensible I look both ways before crossing the street, ladies.

Hot damn.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 07:49 AM, Lintire wrote:
At 1/27/13 06:33 AM, J-qb wrote: I'd personally stay away from anything with texture when it comes to pixelart.. unless you have really big pixels.
Now why in the absolute fuck would you say that?

I don't see how it relates? I meant textures on the paper you are printing it on. Let's be honest, that is a good drawing, but the fact that it was pixelled makes it really impressive; having paper or canvas with a lot of texture will interfere with the cleanness of the pixels and probably make it look messy. That image might work on anything because it doesn't necessarily rely on the fact that it's pixelart. A lot of pixelart though, including carrion's, derives a lot of it's charm from the pixelyness... We all know that that thing is nowhere near carrion's style

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 08:41 AM Reply

so how about them arts fellas

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 08:04 AM, J-qb wrote: A lot of pixelart though, including carrion's, derives a lot of it's charm from the pixelyness... We all know that that thing is nowhere near carrion's style

I'd have to concur with Qbles point here. A textured paper would most likely result in a distortion of the layout of the pixels and could end up making the image appear wonky.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:31 AM Reply

At 1/26/13 10:50 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Fun Fact: If you use epoxy spray on glass to seal in the paint but also have an area that is etched, it will fill in the etch effectively erasing your design. Luckily two things: 1) if you catch it in time paint thinner can remove it restoring the etch (though you may have to go over it with tool or paste to make sure the image is fully restored) 2) I found a neat way to "erase" mistakes I might make while etching.

huh... good to know. I'll keep this im mind if I ever wright a third tutorial.

At 1/27/13 04:56 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I like the high quality matte papers, myself- the canvas will have extra texture that isn't necessary for printing, though I've used it for digital paintings that looked a lot like oil paintings.

Glossy papers tend to be shiny and gross.
I... don't like glossy... matte is the way for me.. as you mentioned gloss is kind of gross. For some reason I think it feels really weird when I touch it....probably just me though...

Is there a printing place near you you can look at? I think they'd probably have samples.

This is a good idea. Even if they don't have scraps or "Samples" Just ask if you can buy a few sheets different stock from them so you can take them home and really study their texture, look and aging capabilities.

The velvet is probably nice but I've never printed on it.

Ooh I love printing on some nice velum and good thick card stock... ahh drool. :3

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:28 PM Reply

Sure is great to not be banned (for once)! Anyways, I look forward to once again getting along with everyone. I really hope I don't screw up this time.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 11:31 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Ooh I love printing on some nice velum and good thick card stock... ahh drool. :3

Velum?
What's that?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 02:28 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: Sure is great to not be banned (for once)! Anyways, I look forward to once again getting along with everyone. I really hope I don't screw up this time.

Copy & paste from rules

Complaining or boasting about any ban, including comments in signature text.

First rule about bans: you don't talk about your bans.
Second rule about bans: don't talk about your fucking bans!

Now moving on. If you can just fucking shut up about the damn past. Have that damn thread you just made deleted, then create a new one with a proper title. all while moving on from the fucking stupid shit that has happened, then maybe, just maybe, things can work out this time.

Sound good?
Great.
now on to talking about ponies..

wait... wrong forum...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:41 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 02:38 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 1/27/13 02:28 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
Now moving on. If you can just fucking shut up about the damn past. Have that damn thread you just made deleted, then create a new one with a proper title. all while moving on from the fucking stupid shit that has happened, then maybe, just maybe, things can work out this time.

Sound good?
Great.
now on to talking about ponies..
wait... wrong forum...

Sorry about that; I just don't want to get banned by TOAS again. It really sucked having to wait an extra two weeks. Oh, and thanks for the warning; this is the last time I talk about the ban.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 1/27/13 02:33 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/27/13 11:31 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Ooh I love printing on some nice velum and good thick card stock... ahh drool. :3
Velum?
What's that?

oops looks like I mist and "L" Vellum
anyway... wiki for simplicity.
speaking of, I picked up a couple packs of vellum stationary on clearance the other day... :3 now what to do with it

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:40 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:30 AM, Escalus wrote: You know what you kiddies need?

SASSPARILLA!

I make my own.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:42 AM, Escalus wrote:
At 1/28/13 10:40 AM, MajesticBob wrote:

SASSPARILLA!
I make my own.
Gurrrrrrrrl you'll never be as sassy as me.

*Snaps fingers, generic black girl head bobbin'*

Um... No really, I make my own. Do you want the recipe? It's fairly simple.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 10:59 AM Reply

SASSPARILLA!

Not sure if tiny chair.... or oversized bottle and straw

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:05 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 10:59 AM, LegolaSS wrote:

SASSPARILLA!
Not sure if tiny chair.... or oversized bottle and straw

It's the sass. Sass adds to the size. It's so sassy it doesn't need proportions.

Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 11:51 AM Reply

You know, I just read that Fatelogic's thread on needing a BG artist and I still don't get why some of you post on job threads you're not interested in doing, just for the sake of pointing out that you're not interested in doing it and why you're not going to do it.

It's like showing up for a job interview and telling the interviewer off because you don't give a rat's ass about the posting he's made.

To me, it makes no sense. AND, it starts unecessary flame wars. That thread was a train wreck. It could have all been avoided if those who commented without being interested just let the thread die, or let TOAS deal with it if he bumped it too much.

Now, the Art Forum once again comes off as being populated with haughty assholes who throw a shitfit at the very mention of money for art.

I mean, if you're not interested, and you think the payment is not up to your standards, why bother posting if you know it's going to end up turning into an argument?

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 11:51 AM, Kumakun4 wrote: stuff

Amen.

Also, I'd love the recipe, Bob.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:45 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 11:51 AM, Kumakun4 wrote: You know, I just read that Fatelogic's thread on needing a BG artist and I still don't get why some of you post on job threads you're not interested in doing, just for the sake of pointing out that you're not interested in doing it and why you're not going to do it.

It's like showing up for a job interview and telling the interviewer off because you don't give a rat's ass about the posting he's made.

To me, it makes no sense. AND, it starts unecessary flame wars. That thread was a train wreck. It could have all been avoided if those who commented without being interested just let the thread die, or let TOAS deal with it if he bumped it too much.

Mm, two things:
- Up to this point that was what happened. The thread could have ended there. It's when the discussion becomes opened up to other stuff that it kicks off.
- I don't think this is a forum wide problem. On one hand you have Escalus, who presents an argument to a person like a sledgehammer unto an egg, and then you have the requester, who'll react aggressively when somebody has a negative opinion of their work. It creates a horrible reaction. Otherwise I think other people made their point fine.

As a rule though, I think that thread could have done without the caps and calling the guy lazy.

Money-grabbing-wise ... not so much, everybody is out for themselves, including the guy requesting the background. At the end of the day the only person who is going to win-or-lose is the requester, depending on the terms of the request and its ability to interest other artists who'd be willing to do work for free.

Anybody who disagrees with me will get a punch in the gut.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:36 PM, Escalus wrote: So here I am, irritated that this guy asks me to make something for him, only to waste my damn time and resources, not just that, but boasts about the "so-called better bakers in NY bakeries", and THEN tells me that he could've done it all himself and that my cake wasn't worth his money in the first place.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Bear in mind that nobody has actually poured out any effort to make him background, yet.

If I could make an analogy, it'd be a guy off the street asking for a birthday cake.
You point to cakes you've previously made, and say they'd cost $40.
The guy wants that cake, but he hasn't got $40 to spend on it, so he goes to find other bakers who are willing to give him a free cake.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 12:58 PM Reply

At 1/28/13 12:36 PM, Escalus wrote: stuff

So you're angry at fatelogic for wanting someone good? or feeling that quality work deserves higher pay?
He's trying to find someone to work on something that he will likely not get paid for- it makes sense that he can't afford to pay an artist unless the artist is so amazing that the work will likely catapult the game quality into something lucrative.

It's rude to tell someone their cake is shitty, sure, but that's not what he was doing. And in any case, why do you care if you're not baking for him?

BBS Signature