New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 08:36 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media

Godwin is over in the corner.

Crying.

Do you see that? You did that. You made him cry.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:24 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 03:19 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/3/13 12:20 PM, Template88 wrote: it is my opinion that fundamentals should always come before stylization, and stylization before fundamentals is the great satan of media
it is my opinion that you're full of shit fed to you by every art school teacher you've ever had
in my opinion of course

>implying ive had art school teachers

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:28 AM Reply

Guys calm down. I've seen over a few threads that we aren't nice to Template. We should all love each other!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

fifty, while i appreciate the gesture, lucky has no reason to be nice to me, and ive insulted about 99% of the artists on this site here in my off comments towards the forum in general many, many times. I deserve whatever i get.

Also carrion you use fundamentals in your work, as does test object. I have nothing against stylization, my own work is heavily stylized. I am against stylization with no structure (or fundamentals, when it isn't done on purpose) or as an excuse for bad art. I see nothing wrong with that portrait of jackson.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:38 AM Reply

Well you've got to admit though, the portrait of Michael Jackson does look quite horrid. I think I don't know why but I want it for my house.

Wait maybe that's the reason artists like these sell things.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 09:38 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Well you've got to admit though, the portrait of Michael Jackson does look quite horrid. I think I don't know why but I want it for my house.
Wait maybe that's the reason artists like these sell things.

i like the odd use of color and the thick meaty brush strokes, and of course the semi-horrifying look of his face.

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 09:41 AM, Template88 wrote: i like the odd use of color and the thick meaty brush strokes, and of course the semi-horrifying look of his face.

Yes. It's as if that it will come out of it's frame and try to rape you. Quite a unique feeling.

BBS Signature
M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/4/13 09:49 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
At 1/4/13 09:41 AM, Template88 wrote: i like the odd use of color and the thick meaty brush strokes, and of course the semi-horrifying look of his face.
Yes. It's as if that it will come out of it's frame and try to rape you. Quite a unique feeling.

feels like half of my sexual fantasies.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Hey! Adobe is offering Photoshop and CS2 for absolutely free right now! Offer's so popular though the site is down for the count right now, so give it some time.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 12:51 AM Reply

At 1/7/13 01:34 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Hey! Adobe is offering Photoshop and CS2 for absolutely free right now! Offer's so popular though the site is down for the count right now, so give it some time.

It...It's so... beautiful... *Tears*

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 1/7/13 01:34 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Hey! Adobe is offering Photoshop and CS2 for absolutely free right now! Offer's so popular though the site is down for the count right now, so give it some time.

Sorry, turns out the news about CS2 licenses got misinterpreted.

cheers luis

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 10:50 PM Reply

I found this cool video explaining Andrew Loomis's approach to drawing the head. You should check it out if that's a thing you want to learn about.

How to Draw the Head from Any Angle

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Nickerrous
Nickerrous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 9th, 2013 @ 09:29 AM Reply

Heres a picture of something

Art Forum Lounge

I need a graphics tablet!

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

Jeeez I had to grave dig this topic it was 4 days old :o

I didn't want to make a new post haha. Anyways, I was just curious. What would an honest price an artist would ask for on an album art piece? I've already asked somebody but I've just never done this before. I won't be making any money for it, it's just purely for entertainment purposes only. The image would be pretty graphic there might be a lot going on so it might not be something somebody can finish in an hour or two.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:10 PM Reply

something wrong with the portal? i think its been two days since i've seen anything new put up

Thoughts in chaos...

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 06:00 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 11:10 PM, Template88 wrote: something wrong with the portal? i think its been two days since i've seen anything new put up

yeah sorry, all the epic boob pictures broke the portal

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 06:58 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:13 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: Jeeez I had to grave dig this topic it was 4 days old :o

I didn't want to make a new post haha. Anyways, I was just curious. What would an honest price an artist would ask for on an album art piece? I've already asked somebody but I've just never done this before. I won't be making any money for it, it's just purely for entertainment purposes only. The image would be pretty graphic there might be a lot going on so it might not be something somebody can finish in an hour or two.

Eh... depends, but I'd start at $30, as a minimum. If the artist is super good or the image is crazy complicated that's kind of an insulting fee though.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 02:43 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 10:50 PM, Aigis wrote: I found this cool video explaining Andrew Loomis's approach to drawing the head. You should check it out if that's a thing you want to learn about.

How to Draw the Head from Any Angle

I have two of Andrew Loomis' books now. They are well worth the money. So far I have Creative Illustration and Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and both are insanely useful

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 1/16/13 12:32 PM, BilalZ wrote: i'll see you there or i won't.

Please come back to us.

In other news, Jonny is a working man now, with a big boy job.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 1/16/13 04:25 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/16/13 12:32 PM, BilalZ wrote: i'll see you there or i won't.
Please come back to us.

In other news, Jonny is a working man now, with a big boy job.

Woo go jonny. Guess we couldn't slack forever after all... damn..

whats that? the sound of my child hood dreams being crushed?.... yup...

So who you working for and what you doing?

5 bucks says its either being just awesome all day, or a professional Canadian ninja....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 1/16/13 06:40 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Woo go jonny. Guess we couldn't slack forever after all... damn..

Yeah, it was fun but it doesn't pay the bills....

5 bucks says its either being just awesome all day, or a professional Canadian ninja....

While both of those are my full time jobs, I don't get paid for those either..... except in street cred, which is the most important kind of cred.
But anyways I've got a job as a sales rep. I go to stores and make sure product is on the shelves. Yay!

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 11:56 PM Reply

At 1/16/13 10:27 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/16/13 06:40 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Woo go jonny. Guess we couldn't slack forever after all... damn..
Yeah, it was fun but it doesn't pay the bills....
While both of those are my full time jobs, I don't get paid for those either..... except in street cred, which is the most important kind of cred.
But anyways I've got a job as a sales rep. I go to stores and make sure product is on the shelves. Yay!

break some knee caps if those walmart bastards don't stock your wares, gotcha. Sounds fun... well the knee capping anyway.
Well congrats man. Really awesome

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Iv'e grown an affinity for the art classified under the label of Outsider Art.

There is a lot of really great material to go through. The raw nature of the art proves to be an amazing source of inspiration to fuel expressive technique. Look into it!

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 12:39 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Iv'e grown an affinity for the art classified under the label of Outsider Art.

You mean the art created by the talentless idiots who literally had to make a classification for art so bad that they claimed they meant it to be bad when in reality none of them had the skills to create anything worthwhile?

"yeah it sucks, but its supposed to, thats the whole point. We are taking the conventions that make everything good in art and since we lack the necessary ability to meet those conventions we are gonna make our own club where bad is good."

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 12:44 AM, ornery wrote:
At 1/17/13 12:39 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Iv'e grown an affinity for the art classified under the label of Outsider Art.
Rawr.

So, Hipster art?

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 01:57 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 12:44 AM, ornery wrote:
"yeah it sucks, but its supposed to, thats the whole point. We are taking the conventions that make everything good in art and since we lack the necessary ability to meet those conventions we are gonna make our own club where bad is good."

Holy shit, that's a Grade A in bullshitting right there! I can't help but be impressed.

There's a million motherfuckers scribbling to their hearts content and not giving a shit about the quality, so they're pissing in the wind. Still I'm sure that's exactly the kind of "art movement" that would earn them top scores at their local community college.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 02:08 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 12:44 AM, ornery wrote: You mean the art created by the talentless idiots who literally had to make a classification for art so bad that they claimed they meant it to be bad when in reality none of them had the skills to create anything worthwhile?

The label was invented to describe art made by literal crazy people. Nothing to do with any sort of club people place themselves in.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 05:17 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 02:08 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 1/17/13 12:44 AM, ornery wrote: Shits out malfacts clouding the general opinion regarding the subject at hand.

Calling the mentally ill talentless idiots is a bit much. Ey tho, clubs and stuff.

But seriously, I even added a link to the Wikipedia page where it clearly states that this is art created by asylum inmates and children. Yeah I'm already assuming you are going to retort with some shit about how the definition taught to you amidst getting you useless art degree was broader and along the lines of "hurdur poser art".

I don't mind you trying to correct me but Jesus Christ do you have to me so ornery about it?
:seewatididthere?

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 05:17 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Blablabla

I'm with Carrion on this one. The point of Outsider Art is that it's made by people who are completely loose of a 'normal' single-minded society. You don't need to find everything gorgeous (This is one for example I'm not particularly fond of, even though the composition is quite neat.), but you simply can't lock yourself in thinking in a giant box. "People who can't draw" is not the same as "Outsider Art". There's talent and beautiful drawings everywhere as well as ugly things.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 07:55 AM Reply

Outsider art.

Siding with Orn on this.
Yeah, outsider art was originally used to classify art by the mentally ill and all that, but it has, well be adopted by others who are more or less perfectly mentally capable. These people have diluted the definition to pretty much mean "Anything I can slap together and label as 'ART' is art"

Yes, All beautiful things aren't art, and all art is not beautiful things. (I think thats a quote from someone,) but you gotta draw the line somewhere. It doesn't just stop at just drawing. What about that "Canned Artist's Shit" or that woman who sat on the steps of an art museum and drew really terrible portraits of folks (no really, they were like 5 year kid old drawing) She was mentally healthy, but she called it art and is listed in outsider art sections.

Again, I agree with Orn. Outsider art have become a lable for people to cop out from actually trying to learn skills to make decent art. They go for shock value or just plain stupidity now rather than actually trying. Here is another example of performance "Outsider Art" that just kind of shows the crap that i'm talking about.

I admit, the mind of the mentally ill would be a fascinating place to see, it really would. and when they sometimes do have the ability to place that mind on to paper or canvas or sculpture, it is usually interesting and intriguing. But most of the time outsider art is just hacks who are simply lazy.

BBS Signature