test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:37 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 08:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: Friend requests you say?... sure why not...

Lets be friends

no
>:(

<3

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 01:37 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 12/11/12 08:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: Friend requests you say?... sure why not...

Lets be friends
I'll be your friend! :D

>: I only haz 2 peeps on my friendlist...
I'M RONERY!

Who needs friends? I got Booze and Soul Crushing Depression! All the company I'll ever need!

warror
warror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

ohh ok next time i'llmake a seperate thread im sorry. and you can e my friend :)

what kinda art do you like

TUNI PEACE
Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 06:33 AM, CloudEater wrote: Back when I used to use all 4 of my scouts every day and update my massive list of "user to be scouted" the Unscouted section only had about 80-90 pages I think. And I would go through the whole thing like once every few weeks to see if I missed anything.

Now it has 3,057 pages!! & I cbf, going through all of that.
But I've made a new list of users to be scouted.
I don't plan on catching Qb or Orn though.
Is there anyone else above me?

I have no idea, but with 3000 pages of unscouted people I might jump on that bandwagon haha

Hell I think I'm still scouted by Orn, but he scouted me like the very day the art portal came out

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 06:33 AM, CloudEater wrote: Back when I used to use all 4 of my scouts every day and update my massive list of "user to be scouted" the Unscouted section only had about 80-90 pages I think. And I would go through the whole thing like once every few weeks to see if I missed anything.

Now it has 3,057 pages!! & I cbf, going through all of that.
But I've made a new list of users to be scouted.
I don't plan on catching Qb or Orn though.
Is there anyone else above me?

The main reason for the massive jump in pages is that the sorting went from only users with 4+ pieces to every piece submitted by every user who isnt yet scouted.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 02:53 PM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 12/11/12 01:37 PM, Escalus wrote:

Lets be friends
I'll be your friend! :D

>: I only haz 2 peeps on my friendlist...
I'M RONERY!
Who needs friends? I got Booze and Soul Crushing Depression! All the company I'll ever need!

you know bob, they say misery loves company, so lets be friends and booze together!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
warror
warror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:02 PM Reply

im getting a nice wacom bamoo tablet soon,

but im kinda scared... im a tablet virgin and worried that i would not know how to use it.

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 08:02 PM, warror wrote: im getting a nice wacom bamoo tablet soon,

but im kinda scared... im a tablet virgin and worried that i would not know how to use it.

That's why they invented Practice. Don't worry, I''m sure you'll get the hang of it.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 09:27 PM Reply

I know Bob just said it, but perhaps multiple people telling you it will help, you just gotta practice, man. It takes a while, and you will get frustrated, I can almost guarantee it, but if you keep at it, it'll become quite the invaluable tool. I'm still bad with tablets but that's because I don't practice. If I spent the amount of time I've had my tablet practicing with it, I'd probably be amazing.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 09:27 PM, Spags wrote:

I know Bob just said it, (stuff) Jist: Practice!

Also remember, the tool doesn't improve the artisan. The artisan improves the tool.

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 09:45 PM, MajesticBob wrote:
At 12/11/12 09:27 PM, Spags wrote:

I know Bob just said it, (stuff) Jist: Practice!
Also remember, the tool doesn't improve the artisan. The artisan improves the tool.

There is some merit to that, but there does come a point where having better supplies makes you produce better work. working with a garbage tablet vs. a high end one will yield pretty different results assuming the artist is competent to begin with. Ditto goes with traditional medias.
I can hand a well versed pastel artist some nupastels, and then some unicolor ones and i guarantee whatever he makes with the unicolors will turn out better.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 09:53 PM, ornery wrote: There is some merit to that, but there does come a point where having better supplies makes you produce better work. working with a garbage tablet vs. a high end one will yield pretty different results assuming the artist is competent to begin with. Ditto goes with traditional medias.
I can hand a well versed pastel artist some nupastels, and then some unicolor ones and i guarantee whatever he makes with the unicolors will turn out better.

Oh totally true, But what I meant was don't buy a tablet and think your art will instantly improve. But if you do get one and you practice, you will get results.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 09:53 PM, ornery wrote: I can hand a well versed pastel artist some nupastels, and then some unicolor ones and i guarantee whatever he makes with the unicolors will turn out better.

Nupastels aren't bad, really, just on the hard end of the chalky scale. Their hardness can be valuable, really- you can put in a lot of layers without filling up your tooth. When I learned pastels from someone who really knows them, I was taught to start work in nupastels and save the juicy, soft stuff for the final layer.

Sorry for ignoring the point.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 10:10 PM, lovingthedark wrote: When I learned pastels from someone who really knows them, I was taught to start work in nupastels and save the juicy, soft stuff for the final layer.

Thats because if you give super soft pastels to someone who has no idea how to use them you will get a cloud of muddy mess.

Stark-Heather
Stark-Heather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:29 PM Reply

I got one two weeks ago. I am not used to this kind of things neither, my field is traditional art, but with practice I am getting better. The first days are frustrating as hell, I wanted to smash the thing, lol. It looks easier that it really is.

Growing up, other girls wanted to be princesses..., shit, I wanted to be an outlaw

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I only use one tool for sketching/drawing. A mechanical pencil

But that's pretty shitty I guess, but I really do like the control over lines it gives. I've used a lot of other pencils of course, but there's something about mechanical ones that I just love so damn much.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:18 AM Reply

Okay, so I want to start using drawing software and I am just wondering; what are your opinions on getting things such as photoshop or illustrator? Is it worth buying or should you just pirate it? Also I am aware of many free programs, I already own inkscape. I am just asking this out of curiosity.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:23 AM Reply

Discussing illegal activities - including, but not limited to: ROMs, cracks, warez and hacking.

That said if you're only going to be using whatever for drawing and painting, I suggest painttool sai, its a lot better in terms of line and control than photoshop. it doesnt have all the glits and tinsle but frankly you don't need that 90% of the time.
and it's cheap enough that buying it isn't a choice of piracy, if you can buy a game, you can afford sai

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:27 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 12:23 AM, M-Vero wrote:
Discussing illegal activities - including, but not limited to: ROMs, cracks, warez and hacking.
That said if you're only going to be using whatever for drawing and painting, I suggest painttool sai, its a lot better in terms of line and control than photoshop. it doesnt have all the glits and tinsle but frankly you don't need that 90% of the time.
and it's cheap enough that buying it isn't a choice of piracy, if you can buy a game, you can afford sai

Thanks Vero, sorry about posting the piracy stuff, it was just a question (I totally forgot about the rules). I will definitely try it out. The line control is mainly what I am looking for, I am looking to make some actually nice looking digital stuff because my scanner is not available (hence why I am making the digital switch). I really wish I could put some of my new and improved stuff in my thread, but oh well.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:29 AM Reply

There's also the relatively new fire alpaca which seems solid.
I haven't use it too much, having programs I'm far more used to, but it seems like a more basic version of SAI for free, so you might wanna give that a try until then.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:29 AM Reply

Nintendo is going to be pissed when they find out I downloaded the ROM for SkulJagger....

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:36 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 12:29 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Nintendo is going to be pissed when they find out I downloaded the ROM for SkulJagger....

You need a bit of work on your delivery, but the basics are there.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 12:36 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/12/12 12:29 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Nintendo is going to be pissed when they find out I downloaded the ROM for SkulJagger....
You need a bit of work on your delivery, but the basics are there.

Excuse me sir?

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 12:41 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 12:29 AM, M-Vero wrote: There's also the relatively new fire alpaca which seems solid.
I haven't use it too much, having programs I'm far more used to, but it seems like a more basic version of SAI for free, so you might wanna give that a try until then.

Thanks man, downloading it right now. I still need to invest in a tablet unfortunately.

BBS Signature
MeowolaSS
MeowolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 07:13 AM Reply

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!.. oh wait... its fine!

Meow <3

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 07:30 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 07:13 AM, MeowolaSS wrote: WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!.. oh wait... its fine!

... oh right, yeah, the time. Damn, that totally passed me by.

BBS Signature
warror
warror
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 07:30 AM Reply

glits and tinsle but frankly you don't need that 90% of the time.

omg i loved paint tool sai. it was even easy with a mouse pad to use. yes paint tool sai.

TUNI PEACE

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 07:13 AM, MeowolaSS wrote: WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!.. oh wait... its fine!

Okay, guys. We may have been wrong about 12.12.12, but I swear to god; 21st we will die, okay?

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 09:23 AM Reply

At 12/8/12 12:25 AM, Lintire wrote: So where do y'all prefer to look for some motherfucking inspiration?

Music mostly, depressing/emotive things are the backbone of how I get inspired, seeing art that does what I am trying to do

I mostly listen to folk (The Decemberists and stuff) or other things that are more atmospheric than musical (Liars and stuff)

Also, talking to impassioned artists of all trades is really inspirational

Also, friend requests?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
KisukeFanboy435
KisukeFanboy435
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 10:01 AM Reply

as far as neil gaiman goes i really liked good omes.