00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

punk563 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

953,458 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 04:01:32

10, 10, 10, 8, 10, 8
illegal text

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 05:27:34

I don't understand?

Is it supposed to go to 12?

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 05:31:02

At 1/30/13 05:27 AM, Havegum wrote: I don't understand?
Is it supposed to go to 12?

You should just switch from art to professional gamer since you always beat us on everything
You and your board game online magical cheating lol

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 05:51:54

ALLof you need to watch this recent post by Stephen Silver
It's VERY relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXYoD7wfOs

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 07:26:58

At 1/30/13 05:51 AM, Lucky wrote: ALLof you need to watch this recent post by Stephen Silver
It's VERY relevant

It's funny how it's titled "protect your art career" when it's really about protecting other poeple's art career. I don't have an art career, I don't want to have an art career. I do think very highly of anyone making a career out of art.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 07:37:25

i got 8.9, but i did the colour blind version, when it was asking for green/yellows and blue/purples i just couldn't even get close without it

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 08:52:06

5.8...I really suck at colors...

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 09:51:07

i just redid it and took screen shots of the colours i had issues with, also on one try i managed to get 11 on saturation?

now i just want to see if other people have problems with the colours i do or if its just me... i'm glad i have other colours to compare against otherwise i would get it wrong every time... its normally the one i am trying to match up and that one "disappears" and the other two are blatantly not matching. apart from that the other colours i seem to be ok with...

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 10:03:48

At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: Onto better subjects.

This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.

Good practise!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 10:19:19

I have no problem seeing those colors legolass.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 16:29:32

At 1/30/13 09:51 AM, LegolaSS wrote: now i just want to see if other people have problems with the colours i do or if its just me...

I can see the difference in those colours just fine, so it may be you suffer a small bit of red-green colourblindness.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 18:09:54

At 1/30/13 07:26 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 1/30/13 05:51 AM, Lucky wrote: ALLof you need to watch this recent post by Stephen Silver
It's VERY relevant
It's funny how it's titled "protect your art career" when it's really about protecting other poeple's art career. I don't have an art career, I don't want to have an art career. I do think very highly of anyone making a career out of art.

Lame typo... I meant to say I do NOT think very highly of ...etc. The fact that your art is influenced by you wanting to make money is regrettable. Sugesting that my art, or the way i go about it, should change is just insulting.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 23:30:43

At 1/30/13 06:09 PM, J-qb wrote:
It's VERY relevant
Lame typo... I meant to say I do NOT think very highly of ...etc. The fact that your art is influenced by you wanting to make money is regrettable. Sugesting that my art, or the way i go about it, should change is just insulting.

That is a very strange point. Some people want to earn enough from their art as to want to pay their rent with it and make more art. I dont see how thats a lot to ask, and its definitely achievable. All I wanted to do with that video is to show artists they should have pride in their work and maybe inspire some entrepreneurs. I cant believe you cant turn this into bad thing. But fuck it i guess I'm the weirdo of the group, fucking forget it

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 23:51:52

At 1/30/13 06:09 PM, J-qb wrote:
It's VERY relevant

Are we counting 'using art to make money' as the same as 'wanting our art to make money'?
I mean, I am very happy with my current job. I design logos and decals for my companies clients. basic graphic artist I admit that the art I do isn't exactly the same ART things that grace the pages of my sketch book, but I still get to add a lot of my personal flair and style to it.
I just kind of want to know your stand on this. I don't want to lose any respect you have for me (if you had any for me to begin with) just because I use my art and skills to make money and I like doing so....

So is their really a difference? or am I bad just because I want to make money with my art...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 00:19:20

It's VERY relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXYoD7wfOs

Typical artist who doesn't understand the concept of human capitol. I don't care if it took you 40 years to shit on a canvas, and neither does anyone else. People are offering what they deem is a sufficient transaction for your skills and if you feel it's a shitty deal, deny it. You don't have to justify it further, you never did.

The "40 years plus 10 minutes" ideal has always been full of shit. We've always discriminated by current ability, not the amount of time invested, and that's not going to change if you just shut your eyes tight and wish very hard. I would offer a professional child who grasped art the moment he did a pen fuckloads more then an amateur adult who's spent his whole life drawing and can only produce scribbles.

You're not entitled to anyone's money and they're not entitled to your time. He's right about the concept of exposure being terrible but anyone who falls for that shtick deserves exactly what's coming to them. Nobody can force you to work for them.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 00:23:20

At 1/31/13 12:19 AM, Lintire wrote:

There is so much full of shit in that statement I can not begin to dissect
fuckin what

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 00:35:27

At 1/31/13 12:23 AM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/31/13 12:19 AM, Lintire wrote:
There is so much full of shit in that statement I can not begin to dissect
fuckin what

If you can't articulate your own rebuttal then why did you even bother. That's not even grammatically accurate, so you might want to take a moment to calm down before you reply. Let's have a debate here, I'm open to the concept that I'm wrong.

People offering their work for free are your competition. This is business, and unless you can offer a service better then what they can offer for free and have people willing to pay for it, then you've been outclassed, not unfairly deprived of your daily bread and butter.

Their motivations for offering their work for free aren't your concern, but for all intents and purposes they are your business rivals and should be treated as such.

Corporations and individuals asking for use of your previously manufactured consumer goods aren't crossing some imaginary line, they're offering a lopsided deal, and short of shoving a gun in your face they can't force you to take it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 00:40:03

Don't worry lucky, I'm pretty sure I'm the odd one out rather than you. Anyways, I'll elaborate:
First of all, when I say I don't think very highly of poeple turning art into a career, I mean I don't think very highly of the practice of turning art into a career, that doesn't mean I lose all my respect for these poeple. There are lots of things that a lot of poeple, myself included, do that I don't think very highly of - and it isn't even a euphemism; just means I have some weak objections to it, not that I despise it.
I can totally see why you'd want to make a career out of art, but I respect it more if poeple did art because of the art rather than to make money. Call me an idealist if you will, but I do. This isn't some attempt to flatter myself either; I don't consider myself an artist in the strictest sense anyway. Again, I completely understand that you'd like to make money making art, but I have a problem with poeple thinking they OUGHT TO be able to make money with their art. I guess that is what Lintire, in his ever so sympathetic wordings, was talking about. When you claim you ought to be able to make money with your art you are subversing art under money, which is what is happening to everything everywhere and it's ruining our society.
Still if it's only your art you are treating this way, that's fine with me, I'll just stop calling it art. However, when you start preaching that everyone should do so is to claim that art is essentially subversed to money - which, to me, is insulting.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 15:08:17

My uncles art: a contrast to mine.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 15:22:15

At 1/31/13 03:08 PM, M-Maher wrote: My uncles art: a contrast to mine.

Looks cool dude. I like the whole celtic feel to it, he has got talent.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 15:24:26

At 1/29/13 09:29 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: Onto better subjects.

This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.

I got a 9.2 first go :D
Hard to use though, I'll try again later

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 16:46:40

At 1/31/13 12:40 AM, J-qb wrote:

Again, I completely understand that you'd like to make money making art, but I have a problem with poeple thinking they OUGHT TO be able to make money with their art.

I don't think anyone is thinking you OUGHT TO be able to make money with their art. But if you aren't capable of doing it yourself and want someone to make art for you, you OUGHT TO expect to pay for it.

I guess that is what Lintire, in his ever so sympathetic wordings, was talking about. When you claim you ought to be able to make money with your art you are subversing art under money, which is what is happening to everything everywhere and it's ruining our society.
Still if it's only your art you are treating this way, that's fine with me, I'll just stop calling it art. However, when you start preaching that everyone should do so is to claim that art is essentially subversed to money - which, to me, is insulting.

I find your way of thinking insulting. You are claiming that it is more worthy of respect to do art when you are not doing it for money. So essentially, from your point of view, good art should cost $0 to minus infinity and anything worth more than $0 is bad art. You are saying that the dollar cost of viewing or owning art determines its credibility rather than the artistic merit determining its credibility. I think it's the other way around. The credibility should be determined by the creativity, emotivity, technique, etc. and if the art is to be sold dollar value should come from the piece's credibility and merits. Therefore art > money. You have it backwards my friend.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 18:59:15

Um..
I already feel bad for this in general, but am I the only one that actually makes better art and tries to experiment more when given an assignment or asked for a commision? For instance, I have made some of my best pieces for newgrounds contests, and I have tried techniques that I previously avoided while drawing for a paying customer. I seem to get a lot of inspiration and drive from the idea of competition and a clear direction in which to work, and I find it kind of sad that people would lose respect for others who work their best work in similar conditions and like to get paid for it.

Also, I don't get the problem with people that think they ought to be able to make money with their art. I studied it for Darwin's sake, my mother put a ton of money in my education, but since mine involves drawing instead of calculus, I should be serving the higher power of art instead of expecting people to acknowledge my skills and pay me like they would any other supplier of services?
I plan to make money with my art, I like getting paid for what I find fun to do, I like working for people by making stuff for them all the while improving myself and taking myself to points I never thought I would reach on my own. And I don't think anyone should think less of anyone for making their job out of what they love.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 21:55:12

At 1/31/13 06:59 PM, Morthagg wrote: Um..
I already feel bad for this in general, but am I the only one that actually makes better art and tries to experiment more when given an assignment or asked for a commision? For instance, I have made some of my best pieces for newgrounds contests, and I have tried techniques that I previously avoided while drawing for a paying customer. I seem to get a lot of inspiration and drive from the idea of competition and a clear direction in which to work, and I find it kind of sad that people would lose respect for others who work their best work in similar conditions and like to get paid for it.
Also, I don't get the problem with people that think they ought to be able to make money with their art. I studied it for Darwin's sake, my mother put a ton of money in my education, but since mine involves drawing instead of calculus, I should be serving the higher power of art instead of expecting people to acknowledge my skills and pay me like they would any other supplier of services?
I plan to make money with my art, I like getting paid for what I find fun to do, I like working for people by making stuff for them all the while improving myself and taking myself to points I never thought I would reach on my own. And I don't think anyone should think less of anyone for making their job out of what they love.

Let me get this straight: I don't think less of anyone for wanting to make money with their art, just like I don't think less of someone for not being a war-hero; I'd respect him more if he was a war-hero, but I don't hold it against him.
Second: I think we're talking about different forms of "ought to". There's ought to in a practical sense (as in should) and ought to in a moral sense. I think poeple should be able to make money with art, I don't however think poeple are entitled to be able to in a way that it imposes a demand on other poeple.

At 1/31/13 04:46 PM, Sockembop wrote: I don't think anyone is thinking you OUGHT TO be able to make money with their art. But if you aren't capable of doing it yourself and want someone to make art for you, you OUGHT TO expect to pay for it.

Did you watch that video lucky linked? it wasn't directed at poeple posting requests.

I find your way of thinking insulting. You are claiming that it is more worthy of respect to do art when you are not doing it for money. So essentially, from your point of view, good art should cost $0 to minus infinity and anything worth more than $0 is bad art. You are saying that the dollar cost of viewing or owning art determines its credibility rather than the artistic merit determining its credibility. I think it's the other way around. The credibility should be determined by the creativity, emotivity, technique, etc. and if the art is to be sold dollar value should come from the piece's credibility and merits. Therefore art > money. You have it backwards my friend.

I never claimed art should be free, I think you shouldn't want to put a price tag on art. Exactly because the value of art can't be expressed in money. When you say you ought to be able to make a living with art you are thereby giving your art a price tag of "minimum x dollars" where x is the amount of money you need to get around. This is where the value of art is expressed in money.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 22:13:42

At 1/31/13 06:59 PM, Morthagg wrote: Um..
I already feel bad for this in general, but am I the only one that actually makes better art and tries to experiment more when given an assignment or asked for a commision?

Yep.
You're the only one who has ever tried to improve.

Leonardo Da Vinci famously mooned people who ever dared try to commision his art, and I think most of us like to try and emulate that by dancing on a cam naked for 40 seconds and posting the recorded videos in activity threads. In fact these days I don't even do requests, I just fart on my tablet and let them have a whiff.

It's a good life.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-31 22:16:28

At 1/31/13 12:40 AM, J-qb wrote: I can totally see why you'd want to make a career out of art, but I respect it more if poeple did art because of the art rather than to make money.

I respect people who try to make a career doing what they love.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-02-01 00:08:28

I think what JQB is trying to say is that he personally thinks that making money because you love to draw is much better than drawing because you love to make money.
I believe he's also trying to say that just because your philosophy is the latter, does not give you the right to impose that philosophy on everyone else trying to make a career with their talent.

From what I understand, he's also saying that, if you make an price offer to someone making an art request and that someone else shows up and offers something for free, and the one who made the request chooses him over you, then you did not get your "job" stolen. You were simply beaten by someone who made a better offer than you did. Which means the one who made the request is either a cheapskate or you're too high class. Or you're overvaluing your talent.

I just hope this clarifies things, as I don't disagree at all with JQB.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-02-01 01:11:27

I'd imagine not many artists draw for long enough to be successful with the only motivation being to make money. especially when there are much better and easier ways to make money.
Becoming an artist to make money sounds like going to a desert to swim

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-02-01 01:29:33

At 2/1/13 12:08 AM, Kumakun4 wrote: I think what JQB is trying to say is that he personally thinks that making money because you love to draw is much better than drawing because you love to make money.
I believe he's also trying to say that just because your philosophy is the latter, does not give you the right to impose that philosophy on everyone else trying to make a career with their talent.

From what I understand, he's also saying that, if you make an price offer to someone making an art request and that someone else shows up and offers something for free, and the one who made the request chooses him over you, then you did not get your "job" stolen. You were simply beaten by someone who made a better offer than you did. Which means the one who made the request is either a cheapskate or you're too high class. Or you're overvaluing your talent.

I just hope this clarifies things, as I don't disagree at all with JQB.

But this is all just wrong. You can't look at a painting and determine how much the artist charged for it, if anything at all. You either like it or you don't. The reason for the painting doesn't matter. Doing art for free doesn't make your art better, doesn't make you a better artist, and doesn't make you more deserving of respect.

There is nothing wrong with doing art for free. Doing art for free is great. What is not so great is when people have the expectation that just because someone likes to do art that they are willing to devote their time to someone else's project with no compensation just because.

Saying that you have more respect for someone who does art because they enjoy it than someone who made a career out of it is just some hardcore art snobbery bs. If you really cared about art you would just it based on the art itself not the motivation behind it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-02-01 01:44:11

At 2/1/13 01:11 AM, M-Vero wrote: Becoming an artist to make money sounds like going to a desert to swim

As in you wake up in the middle of nowhere with a dry mouth, sore muscles and itching in places you don't even want to acknowledge?

Sounds about right.