00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,907 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 07:48:23

so a buddy brought this to my attention the other day.
Adobe now allows student licensed versions and software to be used professionally after graduation. Best I can gather is they started doing this some time around CS4 or 5

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use

Damn near makes me want to go get enrolled somewhere just to get the cheap ass programs...

Discuss

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 09:41:22

Adobe's really aware that their programs' status as industry standards is dependent on their products being taught in schools. They signed some sort of deal last year with my art school to give everyone in the school free copies of the Creative Suites (i mean, it's paid for by our ridiculously high tuitions, but still). It's the hook that makes lifetime customers.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 09:56:29

At 1/29/13 09:41 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Adobe's really aware that their programs' status as industry standards is dependent on their products being taught in schools.

Are they? I mean, I can see how that is for Microsoft, especially since outside of gaming, they aren't particularly better or worse then their competitors that a simple transition period wouldn't overcome, transition that most people don't want to deal with. So their constant school deals and notably static GUI made them a staple in computing.

But compared to the other photo-editing programs, Photoshop is noticeably good. Intuitive and aesthetically interface, easily customized and responsive controls, both of which for a lot more then people give them credit for. Despite my high school relying on Gimp, the moment Photoshop, even the free, stripped down version of 7, became available, everyone switched. And it was so much better.

That doesn't justify the absurd price for a piece of software, but Adobe has more going for it then pre-emptive business tactics.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 13:03:36

I wasn't gonna post about this because I figure anyone who cares knows what I think about it already, but now it's come up agian and I'm drukn so I'll say i thwere:
I think you're all a bunch of bitches and should have gotten banned the moment you posted in that thread without anything productive to add/say.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 14:16:42

At 1/29/13 07:47 AM, Lintire wrote:

Pro-tip; there is no victimization, on either side. Stop acting like it.

I'm not, I'm saying these argument threads are fucking stupid

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 14:42:00

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 15:23:41

At 1/28/13 02:17 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 1/28/13 02:10 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:47 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:44 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

I know, right? That would be the point!

Because, tits...

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 15:27:17

At 1/28/13 05:07 PM, Felis wrote:
At 1/28/13 01:44 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: can you pass off any advice for paneling and writing?
Find a book by Scott McCloud called "Making Comics", read it, be enlightened. Or find an online .pdf, who cares.

It's quite a helpful book. By no means should it be your only source of advice (opinions based off of one source tend to be incomplete or flat out wrong), but I would definitely read it if I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

Yes, the Making Comics book is a compilation of a ton of sources already, the bibliography for it is two pages long, bite me.

Hmm...Your offer intrigues me. Is it an entertaining read at least? I like my source material to be entertaining as well, but I guess in my condition, whether reference material is entertaining or not is not applicable. Any advice would be well appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 16:48:46

At 1/29/13 02:16 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/29/13 07:47 AM, Lintire wrote:
Pro-tip; there is no victimization, on either side. Stop acting like it.
I'm not, I'm saying these argument threads are fucking stupid

I don't think they're really that stupid.

For some reason people think it's okay to ask artists to provide they skills for free as if they have no real value. If you were a carpenter and every day your shop was visited by people who wanted you to build them a fence but didn't want to pay you to do so you would probably tell them to gtfo.

It's insulting that people devalue a skill that has taken you many hours to develop when they would never treat a lawyer or a chef or a plumber that way. If artistic skill really had no value then it would be fine but if that were the case there wouldn't be so many people coming here to ask for it (for free). I can't blame anyone for being a little angry about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 16:59:08

I just don't see the point in responding to request threads you're not interested in. At all. If you feel insulted by the fact that the guy takes artists for granted, well, that's too bad. Just remember that your actions reflect on the forums as a whole.

I mean for the love of God, do you go around looking for job postings in the newspaper, and then call those jobs to tell them in an abbrassive and haughty tone why you think their job posting sucks and why you're not interested in working for them? Of course not, because it's completely ridiculous.

The lack of replies to their request thread is a strong enough message, and even THEN, just because no one's posted on the actual thread, doesn't mean the OP didn't get any PMs from interested parties.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 17:49:26

Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature. If all goes well this should solve any of these stupid request threads. Once that thing really gets off and running, we can just start referring requests to it instead of acting like a bunch of asshats. Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 17:59:51

At 1/29/13 03:23 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

Because, tits...

What.

Is the fact that it's about a lesbian romance some sort of punchline in your comic?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:12:18

At 1/29/13 05:59 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 1/29/13 03:23 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
lesbian-romance comedy
Sounds awkward.

Because, tits...
What.

Is the fact that it's about a lesbian romance some sort of punchline in your comic?

Nah, not really. I was just teasing. The ultimate point of the comic is to tell the story of a lesbian wild-child (not wild as in tomboy-ish, but rather, someone who likes to fool around...A lot).

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:14:36

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Sounds good.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 18:47:12

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature.

Wow, that is... really cool...
how come this is the first I've heard of this?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 19:36:18

My thing is why isnt there just one big request thread, stickied or not? Or why arent all requests moved to the collaboration forum? I mean it isnt that big of a deal but it might make the forum more arty and less 1 post wonder wants an entire project for free. The only problem to doing that would be making the entire forum like 90% less active. lul.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:20:10

At 1/29/13 07:36 PM, Template88 wrote: My thing is why isnt there just one big request thread, stickied or not?

been tried, never gets used, sinks to the bottom, gets forgotten by the regs, and the newbs don't know/think to look for it.
sadly, not trying to be mean here, but your line there kind of proves my statement...

Damnit. I didn't want in this discussion .Can we go back to talking about cooking up some more soda, or at least the adobe thing....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:36:14

At 1/29/13 05:49 PM, ornery wrote: Am I the only one who loves the new Collabinator feature. If all goes well this should solve any of these stupid request threads. Once that thing really gets off and running, we can just start referring requests to it instead of acting like a bunch of asshats. Hell eventually it might become popular enough that people just stop submitting stupid requests all together because they know to go there first.

Yeah, I just found out about it. It seems really cool. It's a really unique and useful feature.

I don't see a way to take your "advertisement" down actively. I suspect it's probably because i haven't made one yet though.

It also might be a nice idea to have a reputation system like ebay does so you can see if people keep bailing on there partners. If there were a way to prevent it from being abused that is.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 20:53:13

At 1/29/13 08:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Damnit. I didn't want in this discussion .Can we go back to talking about cooking up some more soda, or at least the adobe thing....

I think making your own soda (or pop as many as many of us Canadians call it) is a totally insane idea. I would have never even considered the possibility on my own but now I really want to try it.

I did a quick google search for a homemade Dr. Pepper recipe and instead stumbled upon a list of the 23 flavors it's made up of. Wow. That is some brew... Tomato? Really?

1. Amaretto
2. Almond
3. Blackberry
4. Black Licorice
5. Carrot
6. Clove
7. Cherry
8. Caramel
9. Cola
10. Ginger
11. Juniper
12. Lemon
13. Molasses
14. Nutmeg
15. Orange
16. Prune
17. Plum
18. Pepper
19. Root Beer
20. Rum
21. Raspberry
22. Tomato
23. Vanilla

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 21:11:58

At 1/29/13 08:53 PM, Sockembop wrote: I think making your own soda (or pop as many as many of us Canadians call it) is a totally insane idea. I would have never even considered the possibility on my own but now I really want to try it.

Take any liquid (drinkable of course) and add dry ice.... poof carbonation, sorta.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 21:22:42

Onto better subjects.

This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 22:21:26

I'm going to start forcing myself to draw more. I'm going to try drawing at least one new pose a day.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 22:26:44

At 1/29/13 10:21 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: I'm going to start forcing myself to draw more. I'm going to try drawing at least one new pose a day.

MemememememememememeememememememeMEMEMEmemememMEEMEMEme.

meep

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 22:37:27

At 1/29/13 10:26 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 1/29/13 10:21 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: I'm going to start forcing myself to draw more. I'm going to try drawing at least one new pose a day.
MemememememememememeememememememeMEMEMEmemememMEEMEMEme.

meep

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

meep.

Yus, I have decided to do this, or at least try to.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 22:44:26

At 1/29/13 09:29 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: Onto better subjects.

This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.

5.3.... I need to work on that...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-29 22:47:34

At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: Onto better subjects.

A little known fact about Orn: This colour matching challenge game is actually his second favorite game of all time.

His absolute favorite is the one where you put wooden pegs of various shapes into the appropriately shaped hole.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 00:04:27

At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.

Yeah, when it starts getting faster, it starts getting much harder.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 00:21:40

At 1/30/13 12:04 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/29/13 09:22 PM, ornery wrote: This thing is fucking awesome, and hurts my brain. Damn time limit. Would be easy as hell to get all perfects if you weren't so rushed.
Yeah, when it starts getting faster, it starts getting much harder.

Definitely. The triadics were the worst. I got 7.2

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 01:36:15

At 1/29/13 08:53 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
"Stuff."

So Dr. Pepper is canned Suicide? (That's what you'd call it if you went up to a soda fountain and mixed all the flavors. A suicide. Showing my age. Ugh.)

*I saw the fucking word "Prune" in that list. PRUNE!</ins>*

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-30 03:56:13

bow to your master... I slipped in the complimentary category because having two balls at the same time freaked me out...

Art Forum Lounge

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature