ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 15:21:33 Reply

At 11/25/12 03:18 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: stuff

Keep your annoying drama out of the lounge. People are enjoying that thread. If you can't, then please leave.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 15:25:23 Reply

At 11/25/12 03:22 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Relevant, does anyone know when the calendar winners are announced?

I'm sure there will be mention in the calendar thread when/if it happens.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 15:29:54 Reply

Ashamed of what? Thinking dicks/vaginas are funny at your expense? Dude chill, it's funny. I mean it's really your fault to begin with, I mean everyone drew dicks because you told them not to. Then you snapped at two moderators like you always do, and that means everyone was given the ok.

Your thread wasn't very thought provoking and eventually would have faded into obscurity. By the way isn't there a rule stating that every new thread needs starting image?

Anyway back to the reason I'm here. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me where they learned how shade/blend. I was just thinking that maybe if I followed someone's track I could possibly learn something new. I've been practicing with the little time I actually have, and was hoping someone could recall who taught them "style."

I've been googling my own resources, but seem to have a lack of motivation. My mind is bogged down by school work and my creative juices just aren't flowing like they should.

Any help would be appreciated.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 15:46:56 Reply

At 11/25/12 03:29 PM, Absinthe wrote: Anyway back to the reason I'm here. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me where they learned how shade/blend. I was just thinking that maybe if I followed someone's track I could possibly learn something new. I've been practicing with the little time I actually have, and was hoping someone could recall who taught them "style."

Shading tutorials ahoy!
Cel-shading
More blended shading

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 23:42:39 Reply

At 11/25/12 03:46 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 11/25/12 03:29 PM, Absinthe wrote: Anyway back to the reason I'm here. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me where they learned how shade/blend. I was just thinking that maybe if I followed someone's track I could possibly learn something new. I've been practicing with the little time I actually have, and was hoping someone could recall who taught them "style."
Shading tutorials ahoy!
Cel-shading
More blended shading

My question about that as well has to do with the stroke patterns and blending techniques involved. I would like to know how the brush is actually USED in this case, and I would also like to know what brush I should be using in the first place. I get the whole light source, and colors thing, but here are the things I want to know. For the painting I am going to upload (my concern is for the character, not the background), I want to know how I should do the lines for my character, basically, which brushes to use to get THIS kind of quality: http://midna01.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5ltm0n

I would also like to know what brush strokes are used, and also what brush settings I should use. Whenever I learn in Photoshop, I need to know EVERY aspect of the tool I am using to get a desired effect, and I am afraid the blended shading tutorial is useless without that knowledge I require at present. Here is the painting in question.

Art Forum Lounge

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 23:44:31 Reply

At 11/25/12 11:42 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: blah blah blah blah knowledge I require at present. Here is the painting in question.

Keep this stuff in your own thread please.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 23:52:39 Reply

At 11/25/12 11:44 PM, Lucky wrote:
At 11/25/12 11:42 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: blah blah blah blah knowledge I require at present. Here is the painting in question.

I would do that, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...Someone provided tutorials, so I am just asking for more specific information on the subject at hand is all.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 00:31:48 Reply

Well from what I can recall you just set down a base layer, fluctuate opacity and flow until you find your niche. Otherwise you're making art to robotic and anal.

The order from what I've read online and how it can appear in photoshop (All in gray scale,I mean if it can't look good in gray than it's not going to look good in color)

Color layer (Blending mode set to Color)
Highlights and special shit
Level 2 (Darkest darks) shade and refine level 1 with a 20-40% range
Level 1( medium darks) shading with opacityat 60%
Neutral Base
Any background color besides white/black

I just asked the question because I'm seriously down in the creative aspect and want to work myself back up by revisiting the basics.

I feel like a guy who hasn't workout in 2 years needing to get back into things (I've been pretty lax in practice for like 4 months though so I feel like crap)

Thanks again Jonny I read both and found them very informative. I'll try and post "before and after" images of things I want to shade on my personal art thread. I found the boob example to be perfect. It showed that subtly just takes practice, and not to go crazy with levels.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 00:56:27 Reply

At 11/25/12 11:52 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 11/25/12 11:44 PM, Lucky wrote:
I would do that, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...Someone provided tutorials, so I am just asking for more specific information on the subject at hand is all.

I think what Lucky was trying to say is to keep your own artwork in your thread. If you wanted to provide it as the subject of you question or give an example then you should just upload it to the handy NG Dump and link it like you did with the desired line quality that you linked to.

As for what you were asking for, I think you are being a bit to specific and kinda picky. Your best bet is to just hop onto photoshop and play around for a while to figure out what works. When illustrating something the only correct way to do something is what ever makes the image aesthetically pleasing. There isn't a specific way to draw or paint, it just may seem so because of the technical learning curve that comes with digital art. Just do whatever works.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 10:34:07 Reply

Okay, I gotta bring up something that really pissed me off here.
I'm talking about LemonCrush's thread about making him a logo.
I know we see lots and lots of threads pop up looking for handouts, and I'm just as sick of them as the rest of you, but there was no need for things to have escalated to the level that it reached it that thread. And not only that, but he was asking for a basic logo, not a polished character sheet or something. When people come in the forum asking for full character pieces that will probably take at minimum a few hours to do, yeah, sure, then that's a problem, but a simple logo for a youtube channel? I mean, come on people, that's peanuts to do. Kinsei has done it in the past when people have asked for simple things just because it doesn't really take too much time or effort. That's why I decided to do the same, because it wouldn't be a burden on me as well as the fact that I could end the bullshit going on in the thread.
That logo I made? Took me maybe 10 minutes. It wasn't some crazy masterpiece, just a very simple text-and-image logo. I know that handouts are looked down upon, but for something that simple, is it too much to ask?
Overall, I'm very disappointed with the behaviour that occurred in that thread.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 12:03:54 Reply

At 11/26/12 10:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:

Let's see how you like basically being called a whore for making art for money. That's basically what he said. He basically said "Art is not necessary for this economy and anybody who gets paid for making pretty pictures is a whore." I mean, doesn't anyone else find that at least a little insulting, considering I might start doing commissions (mainly to get better at my work and get a little bit of cash)?

As for me doing commissions, I already some deviants who would pay me for my work.

BBS Signature
Nacco
Nacco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 12:27:39 Reply

At 11/26/12 10:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Okay, I gotta bring up something that really pissed me off here.
I'm talking about LemonCrush's thread about making him a logo...

Hmmm. Maybe we just have to agree to not respond to these kind of treads unless we're interested in helping out.
That way if nobody is interested the tread will die out by itself and we avoid these kind of nasty conflicts.
And if someone is interested let them respond without making them feel like a slut.

Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 14:16:46 Reply

I completely agree with jonny here. True, the whoring comment was out of line, but does everyone have a stick in their arse lately? The dude asked for a freebie, but he wasn't going to make any money off of it himself, 't was just a simple logo..thing. You have people that ask for free (or "i'll pay you a part of what I make afterwards") illustrations for stuff that they will actually try to sell, and even they sometimes find a good-natured soul who wants to spend their time on it. I find it quite discouraging and elitair to immediatly start attacking people whenever they ask for a free drawing.

Hey, we all like to get money for our doodles, but a lot of the stuff we draw already is for free and for fun, it doesn't have to get all uptight just because someone makes a request.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 14:36:27 Reply

At 11/26/12 10:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Okay, I gotta bring up something that really pissed me off here.
I'm talking about LemonCrush's thread about making him a logo.

I have REGRETS.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-26 21:36:56 Reply

At 11/26/12 10:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: the correct stuff

I'm glad you posted that, Jonny. I was going to bring that up but now I don't have to.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 00:12:09 Reply

I agree with Jonny, that got a tad out of hand. I also wanted to point out that a lot of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing recently. I'm naturally guessing the art mods are getting rid of them, but I don't recall a moderator editing system ever being put to use in the past. Now, iv'e been away for quite a while and have a pretty shitty memory so I could be wrong of course. Regardless, I must say I found the forums much more interesting when everything you posted was set in stone.

BBS Signature
YanoTheVoiceActor
YanoTheVoiceActor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 00:20:50 Reply

At 11/27/12 12:12 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: I agree with Jonny, that got a tad out of hand. I also wanted to point out that a lot of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing recently. I'm naturally guessing the art mods are getting rid of them, but I don't recall a moderator editing system ever being put to use in the past. Now, iv'e been away for quite a while and have a pretty shitty memory so I could be wrong of course. Regardless, I must say I found the forums much more interesting when everything you posted was set in stone.

Looking for an Artist and maybe an Animator/ Yes I have posted in the animation part of the forum requesting an animator/ I'm just trying my luck here, and if anyone here is willing to work on my short story I'm mainly looking for an anime style artist. pm me if you're interested.

CloudObler
CloudObler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 01:49:21 Reply

At 11/27/12 12:20 AM, YanoTheVoiceActor wrote: Looking for an Artist and maybe an Animator/ Yes I have posted in the animation part of the forum requesting an animator/ I'm just trying my luck here, and if anyone here is willing to work on my short story I'm mainly looking for an anime style artist. pm me if you're interested.

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 06:44:19 Reply

At 11/26/12 12:27 PM, Nacco wrote:
I'm talking about LemonCrush's thread about making him a logo...
Hmmm. Maybe we just have to agree to not respond to these kind of treads unless we're interested in helping out.
That way if nobody is interested the tread will die out by itself and we avoid these kind of nasty conflicts.
And if someone is interested let them respond without making them feel like a slut.

This is the correct approach. If no one wants to take the commission it will die off. If the OP keeps bumping the thread or bitching about how no one is noticing him, you can either offer a realistic reason as to why that might be (no money offered, job isn't interesting enough, etc.) or wait a tiny bit and a mod will deal with it most likely anyway.
Think logically people, come on. You don't go into stores with help wanted signs and tell them that they would need to pay you more or that the job is stupid or chastise them because they should be asking for a different job. You see the signs, think "that's not for me" and walk on.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 07:34:26 Reply

Sadly I was sick most of this weekend, so I sat on the sidelines for this and watched from afar when I could say conscious.
in the end, I really wanted to mention some thing.

At the place I work, we do charge $25 an hour for logo design. But their is a reason for that. These are companies, with a bit more riding on the logo than some YouTube-jocky. With these companies there is a lot more back and forth with design ideas and proofs and what not. So its a bit more work than just churning out something for someone and saying take it or leave it.

And with the comment that the guy didn't feel like art was a blah blah blah, who gives a fuck. The shit was going down well before that comment came up.
I think the comment that Otto made about him just being in the wrong place at the wrong time was just about on the money. It happens from time to time. I understand we all want to comment and get our +1 in but can we at least try and be nice about it?

like I'm one to talk on that one.

So yeah Next time, if its simple enough, just give it a quick shot. If they take it, great problem solved, we move on, if they don't take it, then oh well, you got photoshop open and you got a few minutes of practice.
Of course if they want to make change after change after change, which I'm pretty sure thats what we're all actually afraid of then you can play the take it or leave it asshole card, just not in public.

oh hey, I was remembered for my charity work, sweet.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Celx-Requin
Celx-Requin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 08:20:46 Reply

At 11/26/12 12:03 PM, DragonPunch wrote:
At 11/26/12 10:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Let's see how you like basically being called a whore for making art for money. That's basically what he said. He basically said "Art is not necessary for this economy and anybody who gets paid for making pretty pictures is a whore." I mean, doesn't anyone else find that at least a little insulting, considering I might start doing commissions (mainly to get better at my work and get a little bit of cash)?

As for me doing commissions, I already some deviants who would pay me for my work.

You are a whore if you do art for money, when you do art for the sake of doing it, then it's a significantly purer venture. That said everyone does things for money they don't want to do, so I don't mind being labeled a whore.

It's not insulting because it's true, at the same time art is a skill, and an artist has every right to want to be paid for their services, but the individual in question is an artist, and produces music for the hell of it, so I can empathize with him because he's not a hypocrite.

Lastly I will weep many tears for the fools who have you on commission, I doubt people would take your stuff for free.

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 08:58:33 Reply

Hey poeple, I've been absent here, how've you all been? I've been busy with school and stuff, just popped in here cause this is where poeple provide services for free: would any of you guys be able to translate a flyer for me from japanese? I'm going to Tokyo for two months for study but I only have japanese information about my accomodation...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
OsatoUchiha
OsatoUchiha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 09:27:07 Reply

Yeah I'm new here so I wanted to ask something important, I want to submit a "gif" image file, you know an animated image, but I can't get the full image to be submited, I always have to cut it. Anybody know a solution?

Down below is the gif I made.

Art Forum Lounge

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 09:29:00 Reply

At 11/27/12 08:58 AM, J-qb wrote: Hey poeple, I've been absent here, how've you all been? I've been busy with school and stuff, just popped in here cause this is where poeple provide services for free: would any of you guys be able to translate a flyer for me from japanese? I'm going to Tokyo for two months for study but I only have japanese information about my accomodation...

Let's see what I can do for you......
"1 floor, 2 bedroom apartment, 1 washroom, kitchen, 3 hookers and a smelly old man"

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 09:39:09 Reply

At 11/27/12 08:20 AM, Celx-Requin wrote: It's not insulting because it's true, at the same time art is a skill, and an artist has every right to want to be paid for their services, but the individual in question is an artist, and produces music for the hell of it, so I can empathize with him because he's not a hypocrite.

People keep bringing up the fact that the guy is an artist, and because he's a creator and prepared to give away his stuff that his opinion is somehow correct.

My problem with this is that it's not the same situation. When people offer up their music for free, it's because they've already made it and are willing to distribute it. If they had to create music to a particular specification, it would be a different story.

It's like the difference between buying a house from an estate agent, compared to asking an architect to design one from scratch.

Also being prepared to do everything for free does not make you some kind of artistic saint.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 16:59:51 Reply

I for one have a small primal urge to tell everyone looking for handouts to fuck off. Everytime.
Just because a person draws their own personal stuff and gets nothing for it does not mean that they want to draw YOUR personal stuff for nothing in return. This is a common feeling amongst nonartists, this sense of drawings not being worth anything and a general ignorance of how much time/effort goes into something. They think art just comes out of Artland instantly and whenever they desire it just how they imagined it in their fevered little heads. I can only imagine their thought process like "well they are going to draw anyways, they may as well draw what -I- want and be happy about somebody even asking for them to make anything at all"

all the hate in the world

You are not prepared...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 17:08:54 Reply

oh and (sorry for the double post) just to be clear I don't even need money in exchange for services, something, anything, as a small token of the appreciation of the time invested is better than "exposure" . When I make request threads on 4chan I require the requester to post a reference picture as a small gesture that to get something they need to give me something in return. I genuinely appreciate the time that they've saved me looking for a decent reference and its a small show of respect that make me feel ok drawing princess peach being teabagged by Abraham Lincoln.

You are not prepared...

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 17:27:40 Reply

Im going to put out a scenario that I want you all to think about, it relates to this requests issue and I feel is a nicer alternative to me telling you all that you're all being a bunch of asshats.

A programer comes in the forum and posts a thread. He says he wants to make a game, and he wants an artist to collaborate with. He chose NG because he likes the people and content and its a great place for an indie artist/musician/animator to get started. He picked the art forum for his want-ad because well, he wants an artist, and that is theoretically where artists on this site hang out.

He is offering no money, he isn't going to put up API ads either because he wants users to get straight to the game. He will go 50/50 with any ad revenue that does get generated, but he makes no promises as to the game making any sort of money.

The game idea is pretty original, and it seems like a fun project.

Do you accept his offer and help him out?

Oh and its the year 2004, and the user is this guy

Think about it, long and hard. Granted 99% of requests are stupid, but think about the fluke writer or programer who could be the next big thing that you dont know much about. Could you be killing the next big thing, or sending it elsewhere with your needless hostility? Not everything here needs to be about getting paid, what ever happened to doing something because you wanted to, because of NG user solidarity. I know its a bit insulting for someone to come in and request something that they can and should pay for that will require hours of work and possibly generate cash for them. But is it really necessary to shoot down a 14yo kid who just wants to see a character they thought up of (or shamelessly ripped off of 4 different exsisting chars) brought to life? Think of it like a CHOW, with very specific guidelines. And if you dont like it, then ignore the request, no one is forcing you to do it.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 17:31:48 Reply

At 11/27/12 04:59 PM, Template88 wrote: I for one have a small primal urge to tell everyone looking for handouts to fuck off. Everytime.

Eh, I figure if they're being honest about it, and don't expect much any quality in return, then they can try their luck all they damn well please. It's the ones who feel entitled to your fucking time that piss everyone off.

Even then, they're not doing any harm because the easiest way to approach the situation is to simply not do it. You know that they can't make you draw anything, right? You can easily just play checkers or something and ignore the thread completely.

all the hate in the world

Yeah okay, I'm all for hate. I should make that clear. Fuck everyone. But also use some damn reason.

People have no context for how this shite pisses artists off. They haven't been "dealing" with people asking them to spend hours of their time illustrating someone else's whims. Far as they're concerned, they're not doing anything wrong, in fact they're being quite reasonable. Every time some looks for a freebie and promises some shit like exposure in return, they're not being the slightest bit malevolent.

So motherfuckers like you or anyone else in this forum, getting pissy at someone for doing that, you may as well be yelling at some kid for liking Jar Jar Binks. They don't have the slightest clue as to what they're doing is wrong, and in return all you're doing is souring their experience in dealing with artists completely. This is not some new trend, people have been dealing with artists the same way since forever. It literally takes a fraction of the time, although ten times the tact, to explain that promising exposure, or some form of spec work, is looked down in the artist community immensely and causes no fuss whatsover.

When you let your fatigue in dealing with the same shit override common sense, you're making us all look like assholes, is what I'm saying.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-27 17:54:07 Reply

I agree that not all of them deserve the hostility they get and that some, maybe even most of them dont understand why their offer of exposure is basically the great satan of rewards for working for them... but I don't care. They need to learn fast why that shit is blasted down. If they really want something done getting called out in a thread on newgrounds isn't going to phase them, they'll keep trying and get the work done one way or another at a later time or through better means than begging for it. I would personally consider collaboration with anyone that had something to offer the project and a shared and committed interest in getting it done. Not just DO MY PROJECT FOR ME WHILE I SIT ON MY ASS AND ILL GIVE YOU SWEET CRED. I really don't ask for a lot.

You are not prepared...

BBS Signature