CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 10:31:48 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:14 AM, Aigis wrote:
I think generally Shadman is just more interested in a sort of comic book-y dynamicism than anything approaching what a real human looks like. You see that a lot in professional comic artists.

See Escher Girls.

I think there is a huge quality gap between the drawings on that link and the drawings we're comparing them to. 95% of the anatomy is rather accurate with one major flaw per pic. Regardless, I know people don't want to talk about this. So, let this be my last post on the subject. Aigis, you are particularly hard on people to learn the fundamentals. Not that I mind, but...

If we can make excuses for things like "Slutty Frankie", why the hell did we treat Hiryu like total shit? We couldn't make excuses for him, too? I hate to be "that guy" (though I already am), but the Art Forum is like one of the few good art-related things about Newgrounds and if we're treating members so unevenly in regards to their art, then it really does lose its educational value. When it comes down to it, art is about the, well...the art. Not the artist. And if we can entertain style preferences or "laziness" as an excuse for one artist's deficiencies, we should be able to do that for everyone, regardless of who they are. /last post on the subject, I promise

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 10:44:58 Reply

At 7/17/12 10:28 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/17/12 09:25 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/17/12 08:28 AM, M-Maher wrote: that's how wacom gets ya, they make the nibs out of cheapest plastic they can find and expect you to buy more at Ãff'Ãf'Ã'£1 per nib, its a business strategy really.
I don't think I've had to replace a nib since I got my Intuos over a year ago. Maybe once?
I think i recall someone one saying that you can use any sort of plastic to replace the nib, as long as you cut it to the right size and what not. I think trimmer wire was suggested for this.
Trimmer wire as in the plastic wire used in grass string trimmers.

Probably a stupid question on the subject, but can you use metals as a tip? Just find the proper diameter metal wire and peen the end so you don't cut gouges into the tablet. If it does actually work it would be much more durable than any plastic replacement tip.

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 11:21:41 Reply

At 7/17/12 10:44 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Probably a stupid question on the subject, but can you use metals as a tip? Just find the proper diameter metal wire and peen the end so you don't cut gouges into the tablet. If it does actually work it would be much more durable than any plastic replacement tip.

I've never really tried it so I wouldn't know *shrugs*

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 11:34:29 Reply

At 7/17/12 10:44 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Probably a stupid question on the subject, but can you use metals as a tip? Just find the proper diameter metal wire and peen the end so you don't cut gouges into the tablet. If it does actually work it would be much more durable than any plastic replacement tip.

you can basically put anything in there, as long as it fits and stays there its a viable nib, I did this with a cue tip on my old stylus, worked like a charm, obviously i took the cotton off it..

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 11:53:51 Reply

I don't see why not, but yeah definitely round and polish the hell out of that tip. Although even with those measures, it still might work through the surface of your tablet much faster than a normal plastic tip.
And about tip consumption, when my buddy got his tablet a few years back, it came with a lot of spares. 6 or 7 plastic ones, a felt one or two, and some gray ones.

I really don't know the difference between the black ones and the gray ones.

and when I was the first one to switch a tip when I was borrowing it a few weeks ago.

As for my personal cheap ass tablet, I have had it for a couple years, but haven't had to switch the tips yet, even though the one in it is starting to wear down a little.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
fa2mann
fa2mann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 14:02:21 Reply

At 7/17/12 07:25 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/17/12 07:14 AM, fa2mann wrote: A short off topic simple technical somewhat art related question.
Why does the nib of my tablet pen after having it replaced just 2 weeks ago already feel like its similair to drawing with a needle on a chalkboard?

Gets me frustarted..
Because you're pressing too hard?

Yeah i think my two biggest hobbies aren't exactly the perfect combination.
That's settles no more pressure during exercise drawing.

And note i keep my tablet clean, it is actually the only thing in my room you wont find covered in dust.
Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 14:43:45 Reply

You just know its going to be one of "Those" days when your getting ready to do your first save on a new project and your computer suddenly crashes and reboots...

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 15:21:33 Reply

so how bout them eagles

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 16:00:42 Reply

At 7/17/12 08:28 AM, M-Maher wrote: they make the nibs out of cheapest plastic they can find

I haven't had to replace my nib for almost 18 months now. As long as you aren't slamming down on your tablet, you shouldn't have a problem with your nib running out (oh, by the way, that's probably bad for your tablet...).

I have an Intuos4, so it may be different for those of you with Bamboos/Cintiqs/whatever, but I got a fany pen holder which unscrews to reveal the following"
5 Black nibs (like the one that originally comes in the pen)
3 Gray "Hard Felt" nibs (they have a higher friction than a standard nib
1 White & Black "Flex" nib (black with white tip; has a soft, pencil-like feel
1 White "Stroke" nib (provides a soft, brush-like feeling for the pen)
and a ring to take the nibs out of the pen.

Art Forum Lounge

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 16:16:14 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:00 PM, Kashi wrote:
I have an Intuos4, so it may be different for those of you with Bamboos/Cintiqs/whatever, but I got a fany pen holder which unscrews to reveal the following"

Yeah thats the ones my buddy has. Perhaps I can talk him in to letting me play with the other nibs a bit.

My cheap one only has the hard plastic nibs.
I plan on upgrading one day, just gotta get the money

Not my actual tablet and pen, but mine is the same make and model.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 16:33:12 Reply

Woo! Tablet talk! You know the what's and the.... Oh wait. I don't have one. But honestly guys it really amazes me that you go through the team effort just to answer one question. This is really what the art forum should be, a place where people can ask about art related things and get good answers.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 16:47:08 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:33 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Woo! Tablet talk! You know the what's and the.... Oh wait. I don't have one.

You know, these medion ones are not very expensive. Mine only cost me 50 USD.
It lacks some of the nicer features of a wacom, but it isn't much to compensate for.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 16:54:15 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:00 PM, Kashi wrote: Intuos4 pen holder unscrews to reveal the following:

I have the same. I prefer the standard nib, but probably just because it's what I'm used to. I have never replaced the nib in any tablet I have ever owned. Possibly because I usually break the pen prematurely somehow or another.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 17:10:35 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:00 PM, Kashi wrote: I have an Intuos4, so it may be different for those of you with Bamboos/Cintiqs/whatever, but I got a fany pen holder which unscrews to reveal the following"

My Wacom Bamboo Fun also has a pen holder, but when I unscrewed it. alas, there was naught inside.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 17:27:07 Reply

I have an Intuos 3, but I can't remember if the pen I got in the box had replacement nibs or not. I recently had to buy a replacement one, and that one came with like 7 replacement nibs. I've never messed up a nib ever, so 7 seems like a ton to me.

In regards to the other conversation going on, I think you're getting too hung up on the Hiryu/Shad thing. I honestly don't give a shit about attitudes and if either of them are talented or not. I was just using them as an example to bring up why anatomy seems to be leaned on so heavily around here as a basis for why a piece is good or not. It's very rare in a crit (outside of something like figure drawing) that a piece is looked at a successful work because it has proper anatomy. It can be a factor as to why it is good, or not as good as it could be. I really just feel like basic anatomy is just that, pretty basic and easy to learn. Get the basics down and move on to more important things like style, composition, meaning, and narrative.

Just seems like a trend that every time a new user or someone pops up that's drawing something remotely human, they're either obsessed with perfecting anatomy, or the first thing suggested to them is that they should practice anatomy. I want to start telling people fuck anatomy and just go nuts.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 17:45:32 Reply

At 7/17/12 10:31 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Aigis, you are particularly hard on people to learn the fundamentals.

I am?

That'd be kind of hypocritical of me, wouldn't it?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 18:42:39 Reply

At 7/17/12 05:45 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/17/12 10:31 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Aigis, you are particularly hard on people to learn the fundamentals.
I am?

That'd be kind of hypocritical of me, wouldn't it?

nah you're just more straight forward than most and i appreciate that.
With the tablet thing, I've never run out of pen nibs in the last 7 years, each tablet comes with so many nibs and i think I replace mine once per tablet(which has a life cycle of 2-3 years usually). I really dont think wacom wants to make money off their nibs, if you ever lose a wacom pen for an older model though.... oh boy are you gonna have fun tracking down and paying 1/4 the price of a full tablet for it... wacom feels a lot like apple with the way they treat their old models like they never existed

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-17 19:40:36 Reply

so its just me going through these like its no-ones business, oh well they're disposable, there's still plenty of oil left in the sea to make plastic, I should be fine until underage Chinese factory workers learn to unionize.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-18 17:15:19 Reply

At 7/17/12 04:54 PM, Sockembop wrote: I have the same. I prefer the standard nib, but probably just because it's what I'm used to.
At 7/17/12 04:16 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Yeah thats the ones my buddy has. Perhaps I can talk him in to letting me play with the other nibs a bit.

Yeah, I've been playing around with the nibs today, and I gotta say, I really like the black and white flex nib. It draws smooth and feels a lot softer on the tablet. Feels like a dull pencil on paper, almost.

I used the stroke/brush nib too, and it was a really different feel because of the spring on it, but it didn't really interest me. Plus, I don't know if it was my fault, but I couldn't get it to stick in the pen. It didn't slide out, but I could pull it out of the pen with my fingers using minimal effort.

The hard felt nib just gave you a little more friction/grip on the tablet.

I think I'm gonna use either the hard felt or flex nibs from now on, since they seem to be a little easier on the tablet, instead of the normal plastic nibs that can get those hard edges on them if you're not careful.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-19 15:06:34 Reply

sorry I've kinda barged into the art portal again.. I come here like.. once in a blue moon.. talk for a bit.. and then retreat to internet oblivion hehe.. just showcasing some of my stuff atm..

RandomApple
RandomApple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-19 15:49:55 Reply

Well, i'm glad to know I can stuff about anything in my wacom pen. I wouldn't know what to do when the tip eroded away. And by the way, fify-50, you can buy a tablet fairly cheap from ebay and such. Mine only cost 50 dollars and it works like a charm.

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 10:47:12 Reply

At 7/20/12 06:23 AM, BilalZ wrote: this was funny.

That actually gives me an idea for an activity thread. Start off with an image and each post afterwards adds something to it, just need to call dibs on the next post so we don't have five people posting something on the same image. Then, after say 15-20 posts, reset to a new image.

What do you guy's think about that?

The thread would probably be ravaged by dick jokes though.

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 11:22:07 Reply

At 7/20/12 10:47 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: That actually gives me an idea for an activity thread.
What do you guy's think about that?

popcorn?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 11:31:29 Reply

At 7/20/12 11:22 AM, J-qb wrote: popcorn?

Oh man, I remember that. That was, what, a year or two ago?

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 14:24:36 Reply

Between there, yeah.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 14:45:18 Reply

At 7/20/12 02:24 PM, M-Vero wrote: Between there, yeah.

You should make a thread for this idea.

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-20 14:59:07 Reply

Could be fun, it would make for an interesting art portal submission if possible

At 7/20/12 10:47 AM, XWarrior61 wrote:
At 7/20/12 06:23 AM, BilalZ wrote: this was funny.
That actually gives me an idea for an activity thread..

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-21 18:27:59 Reply

here's a wild idea:
If you don't want to help someone if he's not offering payment; just don't help him. There is no need to get all butthurt over someone asking something.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-21 19:27:11 Reply

At 7/21/12 06:27 PM, J-qb wrote: If you don't want to help someone if he's not offering payment; just don't help him. There is no need to get all butthurt over someone asking something.

All I did was offer a reasoning behind Sock's post. I didn't get aggressive or whiny, just provided an explanation.

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-07-21 19:47:48 Reply

something interesting for your general entertainment