00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

marbleheadzzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

953,474 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-03 20:22:52

:Motivational?:
i- Scribble
if you hang around the intermediate/advanced boards, there are some really nice people. just ask if ya want to start a collab with someone!

(this is... assuming you want to work computer art skillz)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-03 20:35:21

Motivational?

i- Scribble
if you hang around the intermediate/advanced boards, there are some really nice people. just ask if ya want to start a collab with someone!

(this is... assuming you want to work computer art skillz)

okay I created one as HahaB or RedRobot
It's called newgrounds dot awesome or something

If anyone can spare it, I would really appreciate $0.60 on paypal PM me perhaps?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 14:02:23

..::tablet PC's::..

Does anyone know anything about tablet PC's? I'm looking to get a new laptop and getting a tablet PC with Wacom Penabled technology seems like the smart thing to do. At the advice of a friend I'm looking at Lenovo right now, they don't seem to offer the same level of processing as other tablet PC's (HP, Toshiba) but the Lenovo has discreet graphics which, I'm told, is very important. If an of you has used one, how accurate was the stylus for drawing?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 18:17:24

At 2/5/08 02:02 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Does anyone know anything about tablet PC's? I'm looking to get a new laptop and getting a tablet PC with Wacom Penabled technology seems like the smart thing to do. At the advice of a friend I'm looking at Lenovo right now, they don't seem to offer the same level of processing as other tablet PC's (HP, Toshiba) but the Lenovo has discreet graphics which, I'm told, is very important. If an of you has used one, how accurate was the stylus for drawing?

Awesome Tablet PCs

Honestly, some teachers at my school have the Thinkpad tablets, which seem to work as well for school stuff, so I'm sure graphics programs could run fine (our computers come with a shitload of CS3 stuff).

As for drawing, from the limited experience I've had with the Thinkpad tablets I can say that it improved my handwriting.

God, a tablet would be so convenient. Or a scanner.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 18:46:49

At 2/5/08 02:02 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: ..::tablet PC's::..

Does anyone know anything about tablet PC's?

I love mine.
Best investment I ever made.
Toshiba M200 which is very old, but it suits me fine.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 18:54:54

Super-duper Tablet PC

Kraig, have you checked out the 2710p?

It's quality shit man, good price too.
2GB DDR2 memory, which can be upgraded easily.
It has a decent hdd, 100gigs of space. Not too shabby.
The processor isn't the best, but if you're only using it for art, it wouldn't be a problem.
Wacom Penabled, ofcourse.
The screen is small, 12.1-inch widescreen, but I guess that's pretty good for a tablet PC? Not sure. Anyways check it out. I was looking at it for myself but I can'tcome up with the money any time soon.

Somebody feel bad for me and make me a sig.

If not fuck you.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 19:13:31

More Tablet-y Goodness

I think I forgot to mention the best part of the Thinkpad tablets - they fold.

Yes. They swivel and fold from regular laptop to tablet.

Picture related.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 19:18:18

the ultimate solution ( yet ) is a fast ( still cheaper ) laptop + a small tablet... You'll end up paying half of what you would normally do for an as fast tablet PC.

If you really want to buy a tablet PC.. I suggest waiting just a few more months til' dell have released theirs... or wait til' asus / mac release their new ( yet in the works )

those will, and take my word for it.. Kickass!

If you feel the urge to get one RIGHT NOW.. get one from gateway.. but try them out first so you know if you can stand the grainyness...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 19:19:04

Tablet Laptops::
bah... if only apple got their act together and made a tablet mac instead of this "air" junk.

i should start saving either way. :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 21:11:07

..::tablet PC's::..

Wow, that was a hell of a response, thanks for the suggestions. I'm still undecided but am emboldened by the positive comments.

..::abstract art::..

Jackson Pollock was incredible. His paintings create complex mathematical fractals that other artists have failed to do. He really labored over his paintings and wasn't just splashing paint as it appears.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-05 21:58:57

At 2/5/08 09:11 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: ..::abstract art::..

Jackson Pollock was incredible. His paintings create complex mathematical fractals that other artists have failed to do. He really labored over his paintings and wasn't just splashing paint as it appears.

It's sad that some people think that "modern" (which is a really broad term) art is easy. If you go to MOMA or the National Gallery in DC, you'll see some amazing stuff that most people would never think to do. Besides, people who say that don't understand the color theory and stuff that goes into modern art in order to make is asthetically pleasing.

Picture is from DC. My classmates didn't get how this was art.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 01:12:14

At 2/5/08 09:11 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
..::abstract art::..

whatchootalking about.
There's no fractals in his drip droops.
I spent two years in a modern art program in college, with all the shebang: visit to New York museum, visit to tons of galleries, art history classes, abstract painting, photography, drawing, scuplture, video etc. and I can assert without the shadow of a doubt that "modern" art, i.e. 20th century stuff is absolutely nothing special no matter how many hippies have written complex idiot books about it.
Books which I have read and was bored shitless during.

The only thing the 20th century brought to the art world is an elevated sense of bullshitting that is only surpassed by shamans and lawyers.

That being said, there was a dude who made a "sculpture" with balls he stole from various stores. Awesome. Some were huge, like 2 feet in diameter.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 06:43:24

At 2/6/08 12:49 AM, fetusdoctor wrote: Flesh tones

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to shade fleshtones. I seem to get them too orange or too gray every time. Finding a base flesh tone is easy, it's the shading I have trouble with.

http://www.furiae.com/gallery/tutorials/
skintones.jpg

Her other tutorials are pretty good as well.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 06:55:33

heres an art dudes hope you like it and ya l know big teeths

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 10:46:31

At 2/6/08 06:55 AM, q13qew wrote: heres an art dudes hope you like it and ya l know big teeths

jesus, you really whoring out that pic, arent ya. how about an update to that pic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 14:39:57

That's not what I heard... My art teacher always said he just splashed on canvas in a way that represented his emotions... While drunk. Yes, he was often incredibly drunk while art-making.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 14:58:36

At 2/6/08 02:39 PM, MiddleFingerRings wrote:
That's not what I heard... My art teacher always said he just splashed on canvas in a way that represented his emotions... While drunk. Yes, he was often incredibly drunk while art-making.

Who isn't drunk when making art? Is there another way to do art?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 15:58:26

Sounds about right. One famous Pollock has some ashes from the cigarette he was smoking on the canvas, and another (possibly the same) has a cockroach trapped in the paint. So no, not laboring over the paintings, but there was work involved.

*hijack* Mondrian is probably a good example of modern art that took effort, knowledge of principles, and open-mindedness. He is now our prime example.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 17:37:32

I visited Pollock's old house on an art trip many years ago, and I remember them saying something like that, just in a much more euphemistic way. I have learned to appreciate art more and more as I take more art history classes, but still can't get into his style, its just too crazy.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 21:56:03

At 2/6/08 01:12 AM, poxpower wrote:
whatchootalking about.

It's a theory, it/'s been pretty widely known for several years now. There is, I now find, quite a bit controversy surrounding it, not the least of which the fact that fractals were not yet discovered for a couple decades after Pollock. I had read about it some years ago when it was widely published in several magazines. Anyway the physicist who came up with the theory is named Richard Taylor, it's a real art story and something you could have looked into before shooting down completely.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 22:09:12

At 2/6/08 09:56 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 2/6/08 01:12 AM, poxpower wrote:
whatchootalking about.
Stuffs about fractals...

Generally, fractals tend to appear when you least suspect them, so the fact that random drip drops produce them isn't a suprise. I certainly don't think Pollock went around painting fractals into his art.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-06 23:27:55

A possible concept art thread?

I plan to make flash sometime this year and would like to know if I could keep concept art in a seperate thread from my gallery so that it would be easier to see and keep track of input from other art regulars. Before I even go and do this and get one locked and make myself look like a jackass I figured I'd come here and ask. Do you think it's a good idea to have the seperate thread? And if not would you care to justify why?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 16:14:37

At 2/6/08 11:27 PM, P-51 wrote: A possible concept art thread?

I plan to make flash sometime this year and would like to know if I could keep concept art in a seperate thread from my gallery so that it would be easier to see and keep track of input from other art regulars. Before I even go and do this and get one locked and make myself look like a jackass I figured I'd come here and ask. Do you think it's a good idea to have the seperate thread? And if not would you care to justify why?

I think if the thread is about one thing, related to itself it would make sense to keep separate.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 16:26:17

This thread is cool! I love to see everyone's art, read every good discussion and learn more about arts. But I'm not good at English so I don't know what to discuss now. Sorry.

Guess I'll just read this thread in the shadow. Thank you Mr. BlackmargetKraig for making this.

My signature. I draw it myself.

I havn't submit any flash though. Now I'm making one. Looks like it might take some time.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 22:23:00

At 2/7/08 04:14 PM, AMP-d wrote:
At 2/6/08 11:27 PM, P-51 wrote:

I think if the thread is about one thing, related to itself it would make sense to keep separate.

you mean like a thread only relating to one of my series or what? because I was thinking of making a seperate thread with all the series universes altogether so it won't be too messy and I could have it laid out like this lounge thread (i.e. have a top title in bold to reference which series I'm talking about)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 22:57:50

At 2/7/08 10:23 PM, P-51 wrote: you mean like a thread only relating to one of my series or what? because I was thinking of making a seperate thread with all the series universes altogether so it won't be too messy and I could have it laid out like this lounge thread (i.e. have a top title in bold to reference which series I'm talking about)

Only related to one series at a time.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 23:04:56

Paint Shop Pro

You guys had a conversation about Paint Shop Pro versus Photoshop, but nobody actually answered my question. D=

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 23:11:58

Paint Shop Pro

You guys had a conversation about Paint Shop Pro versus Photoshop, but nobody actually answered my question. D=

I find them both too similar to even be one better than the other. From what I've seen they both have the same tools, same concept. Maybe just a different layout but in the end it all works the same to me. I recommend either, but then I again I don't use either of the software's wide range of tools.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-07 23:15:20

At 2/7/08 11:11 PM, narf109 wrote: Paint Shop Pro

I find them both too similar to even be one better than the other. From what I've seen they both have the same tools, same concept. Maybe just a different layout but in the end it all works the same to me. I recommend either, but then I again I don't use either of the software's wide range of tools.

And sorry yes its under the layer palette, layer blend mode, default should be normal, but u can switch to all that stuff.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-02-08 00:19:19

Will someone buy me a Cintiq? I will be your art slave for a year

KTHNXBAI <3

too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die

BBS Signature