New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:30 AM Reply

At 2/2/12 02:05 AM, ornery wrote: This upset me.

Agreed, well objectively. It's a terrible attempt to market the books to a younger generation, and the worst part is that it'll probably work.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:35 AM Reply

i fully agree people should grow some balls / grow the hell up and stop been a big wuss...

creepy storys to tell in the dark?... you want some creepy artwork to go with it... not some half arsed generic rubbish.. the original ones look far better IMO.

so what if it scares the children... THAT'S THE POINT...

il leave it at that before i start ranting about how the world is slowly becoming shitter by making "everything for everyone"... yet near naked women are allowed on front covers... and slightly scary covers have to be toned down... WTF

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:58 AM Reply

Buzzfeed wont load for me :C

I'll check it out later then
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:27 AM Reply

Okay, yeah, it loaded.
And yeah, it's totally been pussied out.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:50 PM Reply

I used to love getting the shit scared out of me, and I still do when I can actually find something that can scare me.
But I guess people today want everything to be "Safe and Secure" for their "Precious, innocent little children."

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:19 PM Reply

Now that is upsetting, I remember my grandmother reading that to me and the siblings when we were young before she passed away. She would show us the picture like before she read one of the stories.. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night because of them. Looking at the new ones kids probably be scared until they see the pictures "WTF is this? That's not scary at all"

Good times though miss them days.( I sound old)

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:20 PM Reply

brb gonna send in my portfolio
I have finally found my space.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:55 PM Reply

That's exactly the kind of thing that I was taking about earlier, people are so afraid of letting their children experience anything other than the most obscenely bland aspects of the arts that it's killing culture. Kids need to be exposed to things that frighten them and things that provoke their curiosity and interest in the world. I really hate it when things are censored or changed in order to appease the parents and NOT in the interest of the actual kids. Glame.

10k +1

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:21 PM Reply

In addition to what has been said so far, it feels to me like parents get used to push away the responsibility to companies and the legislature, instead of deciding for themselves what they want their children to hear and see.

I mean if you think the illustrations are to creepy for your kids, that's ok. But there is no need to ruin it for everyone else, just don't show it to your kids.

BBS Signature
monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

So that's stupid. I don't know. As a kid growing up, there were very few types of art I was exposed to. I personally can only remember cartoons and Renaissance... stuff. Just very technical, realistic pieces of art that we were told set the standard for what real art was supposed to be. These books and that artwork really were the first things I saw that sort of opened the doors to what art could be, and they were the first to really instill any type of emotion in me. As a kid that stuff was pretty shocking, but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

I haven't actually read any of the stories in a long time, and if you told me one of them now, I'd be like... whatever. But the old art work really stuck with me, and even though I can't really remember ANYTHING about these books (or this book, I don't know), one look at the old art totally brings me back. Looking at the new pictures, I imagine the whole book will eventually become completely irrelevant.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

This upset me.

Why are people suddenly all nostalgic for late 80's early 90's style television cartoons? It seems that people like HappyHarry have a hard-on for this crap (I have a hard-on for alliteration) as well as some animation students and AdultSwim. Man, I wouldn't want to live through that era of television programming for all the rice in ricelandia.

Discuss.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:03 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 05:45 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: This upset me.

Why are people suddenly all nostalgic for late 80's early 90's style television cartoons? It seems that people like HappyHarry have a hard-on for this crap (I have a hard-on for alliteration) as well as some animation students and AdultSwim. Man, I wouldn't want to live through that era of television programming for all the rice in ricelandia.

Discuss.

do you mean like thundercats/jem/swatcats sort of stuff?

I wasn't a big fan of any of that either, but 70's cartoons, ughh

IM LOOKING AT YOU SCOOBY DOO

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 05:45 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Discuss.

ffffffffffff

Alright, I don't see a damn problem with people recreating 80's and 90's cartoons. I didn't watch anything other then BMX shows as a kid and even I like these kinds of purposely corny, cheesy, and unapologetic cartoons.

As long as there's people making them, and people watching them, then there's certainly room for them (even if they are recreating nostalgia for nostalgia's sake).

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 05:45 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Discuss.

Personally, I've always had a fond nostalgia factor for the cartoons I grew up on, which is why over the past few years I rewatched entire series such as ReBoot, Beast Wars, Batman TAS, etc.
However, I find all of these new 90s style cartoons just try too hard to be from the 90s and that's what effectively makes them fail. You can't force a style, because a lot of the style that came from those cartoons is the fact that they were produced in that time and it worked with the era. Trying to emulate that just seems to fall flat and doesn't work for me.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:09 PM Reply

As for the goosebumps thingy:
there's a reason for the expression l'art pour l'art. If you want to make money with your art you have to do some concessions. Publishers are corporations and have the duty to make profit. So yeah... they don't really care for artistic integrity or whatever, they shouldn't, they should care about making money.
If you don't agree with that, blame the system, not the individual actors.

At 2/2/12 05:45 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: This upset me.
Why are people suddenly all nostalgic for late 80's early 90's style television cartoons?

The poeple that are now starting to make cartoons grew up with 80's and early 90's cartoons. Not that hard to understand.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 07:09 PM, J-qb wrote:
The poeple that are now starting to make cartoons grew up with 80's and early 90's cartoons. Not that hard to understand.

O RLY?
I grew up on them and as I implied, I hated that time period of poorly conceived, poorly executed, mass produced, soulless, overtly-commercialized, colorful vomit. And the music... oh dear lord.

Create your own style, don't recycle stuff that was horseshit when it was fresh. People are wasting their talents reliving the past. Move the fuck on.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 07:51 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Create your own style, don't recycle stuff that was horseshit when it was fresh. People are wasting their talents reliving the past. Move the fuck on.

Who shit in your morning coffee?
Besides, yeah, there was a lot of cut and paste crap on television back then, but same could be said for what's on television now. And there were still good things that came out in that time frame, such as Animaniacs and Batman TAS.
Don't lump the diamonds in with the shit.

monsterparty
monsterparty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 2/2/12 07:51 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: O RLY?
I grew up on them and as I implied, I hated that time period of poorly conceived, poorly executed, mass produced, soulless, overtly-commercialized, colorful vomit. And the music... oh dear lord.

Create your own style, don't recycle stuff that was horseshit when it was fresh. People are wasting their talents reliving the past. Move the fuck on.

I grew up pretty television-less, so I wasn't introduced to a lot of late 80's early 90's shows until I was in high school. I suppose a lot of it wasn't great, but like Jonny said, there were some really good things too. And when you're looking at them with fresh eyes, all of it can be pretty neat.

A lot of cartoons that are on today aren't any better at all. You can't really look at shows like Almost Naked Animals or something about Gumball and ... ffff fish tank? A lot of shows that kids watch now are really just... not good as far as animation, conceptualization, and characterization. Not only are they just as soulless as before, but they're also extremely annoying. I think any show that's meant to never end will inevitably end up this way. Now that I have the freedom to watch TV as I choose, I honestly just prefer not to. I'd rather pop in a dvd and watch an old episode of something or other.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:51 AM Reply

On the video itself, maybe that isn't even their preference in animation, it was their bachelors assignment, maybe to make a parody of old action cartoons wasthe assignment.

Condemning an entire decade of animation to nothing but shit is incredibly pretentious. I don't think when people think about how great the 80s and 90s were they aren't picturing the snorks and fucking extreme dinosaurs or god forbid, sonic. The good stuff, like dexter, powerpuff girls, batman, you know stuff that had effort and work behind it and not just mindless action or toy whoring.

And are you honestly saying the current animation era is any better than what we had as kids? Of what little we actually have of it. Flipping through cartoon network, nickalodean, a good chunk is 3d, another is embarrassingly flash work(I'm looking at you Johnny test) that makes the front page look like a shining beacon of hope, and then there's the fucking reality shows.

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:37 AM Reply

At 2/3/12 04:51 AM, M-Vero wrote: I don't think when people think about how great the 80s and 90s were they aren't picturing [...] god forbid, sonic.

Don't be dense, Sonic games (and mainly the platformers) were really well-designed stuff back then.

Dunno what you guys are making a fuss about. It's a tongue in cheek parody of that era and a funny one at that. It's not like they want to keep using this style for the rest of their lives. They're not stupid, they know it's not relevant to modern day.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:44 AM Reply

At 2/3/12 05:37 AM, test-object wrote: Don't be dense

I didn't think it was necessary to specify that I meant the cartoons and not the games
most specifically this one, as it's the most hilarious bad of the 3 I'm aware of.

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:54 AM Reply

aight.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:36 AM Reply

and then there were 4 sonic cartoons
and 1 was good

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:24 AM Reply

Yeah, even though Sonic Underground wasn't a great show, I really dug the intro.
One of the prime examples of how the 90s was the generation of guitar riffing intros.

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

I never liked the 1980 saturday morning style cartoons. I watched a bit of captain planet and such, but I loved more of the 1990 to 2004 cartoons. I stopped watching cartoons after 2004, I think the new stuff is too A.D.D.

From how I see it, the 80's and 90's had less restrictions on cartoons and they had more freedom to do what they wanted, experimental wise. Now a days networks "think" they know what they want and if it doesn't fit along those guide lines they won't pick it up. Although now a days cartoons can get away with more on the dialogue side, offending people and such, but people don't like to take risks anymore.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:34 PM Reply

Bugs Bunny or gtfo

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:59 PM Reply

I enjoy some 80's and 90's cartoons. even some of the bad ones.

Some of the jokes are still funny

Urkel as sonic the hedgehog anyone?

Some of them are landmark in the industry like Reboot

Others really made some the art an icon for the entire series, Like Batman TAS and Batman Beyond did for Bruce Timm's style.

Most, if not all of us, have grown up with these cartoons. So it makes sense for some to emulate them, or at least parody them.

Besides, when you got a couple friends setting around making observations about the series with more adult eyes. It can be a pretty funny night.

Btw Speaking of re watching. I came across the entire series of Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one) for like 10 bucks. So I bought it. And me and my friends are watching it... So yeah....

I have issues with newer cartoons, but I'll save that for another day.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 2/3/12 12:34 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: Bugs Bunny or gtfo

Too bad Bugs Bunny is from decades earlier than the 90s, so your argument is invalid.

At 2/3/12 12:59 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Btw Speaking of re watching. I came across the entire series of Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one) for like 10 bucks. So I bought it. And me and my friends are watching it... So yeah....

Too bad it only ran one season and ended on such a cliffhanger :C
ReBoot did that too :'C

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 2/3/12 01:25 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/3/12 12:59 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Btw Speaking of re watching. I came across the entire series of Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one) for like 10 bucks. So I bought it. And me and my friends are watching it... So yeah....
Too bad it only ran one season and ended on such a cliffhanger :C
ReBoot did that too :'C

Nah it got two seasons, still ends with a cliffhanger though.

Btw ever watch the Nostalgia Critic's Review over Sonic the hedgehog?

Effort, honest to god effort!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Feb. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 2/3/12 01:33 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Nah it got two seasons, still ends with a cliffhanger though.

Oh, I thought it was one season. Either way, the ending pissed me off.

Btw ever watch the Nostalgia Critic's Review over Sonic the hedgehog?
Effort, honest to god effort!

Yes, yes I did.