• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-06 22:13:40 Reply

At 1/6/12 09:58 PM, Nae wrote:
At 1/6/12 09:17 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: Moar Jonnys.. This amuses me :D
Don't worry guise... jonny's got this!

Haha.. Oh man. Where would the world be without Jonny!

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-07 00:29:29 Reply

At 1/6/12 10:13 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: Haha.. Oh man. Where would the world be without Jonny!

5 centuries behind in amusement.

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-07 10:13:26 Reply

I swear to god, we should make a collection of 2 sharks wrestling drawings.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-11 22:04:17 Reply

woo throwing star up grade bitches!
+1 star to me >:D

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 03:56:10 Reply

At 1/11/12 10:04 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: woo throwing star up grade bitches!
+1 star to me >:D

talking of leveling up... if we level up due to changes in level adjustments... and i miss level 49 somehow.... i will not be a happy bunny... but yay for you kinsei01 :D

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 11:49:37 Reply

At 1/12/12 03:56 AM, LegolaSS wrote: talking of leveling up... if we level up due to changes in level adjustments... and i miss level 49 somehow.... i will not be a happy bunny... but yay for you kinsei01 :D

What, like they increase the level cap and everyone gets bumped?
Nah, I don't think that will happen. Level cap increases, but our exp wont.

Pimp has reached the cap like 3 times.
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 13:12:53 Reply

At 1/12/12 11:49 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Pimp has reached the cap like 3 times.

Twice. Once for level 30, now for level 60.

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 13:27:12 Reply

I've seen the redesign... there will be 240 levels. Once it launches, your new level will be double what it is now (that's how they did it last time, didn't they? I forget!) ...so, yeah, I'll be a level 2... jonny will be 86'd, and pimp will be 120.

almost all of that is a lie!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 23:19:23 Reply

At 1/12/12 01:27 PM, Nae wrote:
almost all of that is a lie!

ALMOST?!
Oh, you..

In other art-related news, I have to make a sculpture out of some wooden 2x4s or something for art class, and was planning on using a wood burning kit (the kind with a hot metal stick, not an open flame). Have any of you used wood burning kits before? Is it easy/difficult/rewarding/etc?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-12 23:59:22 Reply

At 1/12/12 11:19 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: In other art-related news, I have to make a sculpture out of some wooden 2x4s or something for art class, and was planning on using a wood burning kit (the kind with a hot metal stick, not an open flame). Have any of you used wood burning kits before? Is it easy/difficult/rewarding/etc?

I have had some wood burning experience, but nothing extensive. I personally found it a bit difficult to really master because I had to hold the tool so far up on the handle. This was also a long time ago before I had any real art experience, so it might be easier than I remember.
Be careful though, They aren't kidding when they say those things are hot.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-13 00:38:33 Reply

I have a little experience in wood burning, except I was using a soldering iron so I don't know if there are any major differences. They're both hot sticks of metal.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-14 05:38:41 Reply

RESPECT

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-14 19:49:33 Reply

Can someone give me some convincing proof that this image is a Trace-Bitmapped/Filtered version of this photo?

The best match I have found so far is Color Threshold 35, Minimum Area 40 with Flash's Trace Bitmap.

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-14 20:12:01 Reply

At 1/14/12 07:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Can someone give me some convincing proof that this image is a Trace-Bitmapped/Filtered version of this photo?

The best match I have found so far is Color Threshold 35, Minimum Area 40 with Flash's Trace Bitmap.

I think you're getting distracted by the technical and missing the obvious.

Art Forum Lounge

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-14 20:21:58 Reply

I would like to talk to you about this kinda thing sometime.

I believe he's using illustrator's live trace. Not flash. Which allows for a lot more fiddling. Improbable that you'd find the exact setting. But if you want proof that it was arbitrary thoughtless filter rape. Notice the tumor on Tom's head off his left (our right) eye. That's cause the computer grabbed the head of the guy behind Tom.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 06:45:32 Reply

At 1/14/12 08:12 PM, Occluded wrote: I think you're getting distracted by the technical and missing the obvious.

Yes, it's clearly a trace. I want to make sure it's a computer generated one, rather than one performed painstakingly by the painter.

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 11:28:54 Reply

At 1/15/12 06:45 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/14/12 08:12 PM, Occluded wrote: I think you're getting distracted by the technical and missing the obvious.
Yes, it's clearly a trace. I want to make sure it's a computer generated one, rather than one performed painstakingly by the painter.

It matters?

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 11:31:44 Reply

At 1/15/12 11:28 AM, Occluded wrote:
At 1/15/12 06:45 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

It matters?

Yes.

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 11:53:45 Reply

... Love to discuss that with you more later, but for now.

The reason you can tell it's a traced bit map is the same reason you can tell the original is a photo. If you have to sit there and really ask yourself if it's traced by a computer... I could repeat what I said earlier about the guys head behind Tom. But even without that. No one draws that way. Just like no one renders ultra realism with photographic perfection. They can get close But a photo is self evident. As is this. I'm sorry if that comes off as condescending, or whatever. I don't know how else to say it. Are you going to weigh each instance of this based on whether or not you can exactly duplicate it?

How bout taking it down and tell the author if he want's it back up to email you the original file. Open it up and see if the shapes overlap. Or if they match edge to edge. If they match edge to edge computer trace.

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 12:15:49 Reply

At 1/14/12 07:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Can someone give me some convincing proof that this image is a Trace-Bitmapped/Filtered version of this photo?

Something on it caught my eye, after a 400x zoom on my browser I spotted these little gaps in a couple areas where the background is visable. From what little experience I have in digital art, filters seem to be out of the question. I don't know anything about bitmaps, so I don't know if the gaps disprove that as well.

Art Forum Lounge

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 12:16:41 Reply

At 1/15/12 11:53 AM, Occluded wrote: ... Love to discuss that with you more later,

No, the only discussion I'm going to have over this is with orn, since it would take 5 minutes and we'd come to a conclusion.

You're adamant it's traced, whilst another user has suggested that it could be made by hand.
I'd rather handle this carefully before making a confident decision, since I'd rather a) not alienate anybody, b) NOT be a moderator who chops without thinking, and c) have a sound argument when we DO take action. Leaving it up there is not creating a cancerous growth on the art portal.

Are you going to weigh each instance of this based on whether or not you can exactly duplicate it?

No, not exactly. But if the process is so simple, then it should be no problem creating similar results.
So far I'm inclined to agree with you since there's the face bump off the eye socket. I would also like to see some suggestion that the shapes in the pic were created by the computer program.

How bout taking it down and tell the author if he want's it back up to email you the original file. Open it up and see if the shapes overlap. Or if they match edge to edge. If they match edge to edge computer trace.

Don't see what that's going to prove - you've already overlaid the photo over the submission.
Lego asked for the photo for this painting, and I'm guessing nothing arose from that.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 12:23:50 Reply

Even without original images, I would be inclined to think both of those images are traces due to the quality of the rest of his work.

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 13:23:16 Reply

At 1/15/12 12:16 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Don't see what that's going to prove - you've already overlaid the photo over the submission.
Lego asked for the photo for this painting, and I'm guessing nothing arose from that.

Not the the trace lining up with the photo. When you trace bitmap in flash or illustrator it creates shapes. Shapes that line up edge to edge. When you zoom in you get what X pointed out earlier. Shapes touching. Since mathematical perfection is limited by the programs decimal point limit you get shapes that overlap ever so slightly or gap over so slightly. People layer up. Computers do the bare minimum.

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 13:32:34 Reply

At 1/15/12 12:16 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Are you going to weigh each instance of this based on whether or not you can exactly duplicate it?
No, not exactly. But if the process is so simple, then it should be no problem creating similar results.

There are a lot of settings to get variation out of.

Art Forum Lounge

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 15:20:08 Reply

Well, here's something interesting.
Forgive the lad, for he is French, but he reports that, having difficulties finding illustrations for fantasy books, Wikipedia is more than willing to display fan art on the book's page. An interesting opportunity...

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 15:48:21 Reply

I don't really see why it matters whether or not it's traced by a computer process.

It's an outright trace of a photo that doesn't belong to him. Does that not make it artistic theft?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 17:31:50 Reply

At 1/15/12 03:48 PM, Aigis wrote: I don't really see why it matters whether or not it's traced by a computer process.

It's an outright trace of a photo that doesn't belong to him. Does that not make it artistic theft?

NO AIGIS THIS IS ALL NECESSARY.

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 18:19:03 Reply

Ok, this is my view on the topic...

First of all... the guy cant draw... i don't care if i am offensive because i'm an art snob and i know what i like... and bitmap tracing is right up there in the category titled "shit you don't do"...

if you look at other art by the same guy you can CLEARLY see that he is not able to apply lines in the same fashion as the traced pictures, i tried to acquire the original picture for the first one but he did not deliver... that was a week ago... he had a chance back then to clear it all up... defending a losing battle is just going to make things worse...

Now, as XWarrior61 pointed out... there are areas where the lines are so sharp that the color doesn't go all the way to the end... flood fill you say? nope, it is the work of a computer, doing art in flash for a couple of years teaches you how computers do things art wise... there are a few more points on the same picture where the background image is showing through... if this was painstakingly done by hand over the course of 3 hours or what ever he said, there is no way you would cock up that many times...

HOWEVER

i have the same thing goes with the other picture... i believe he had touched up the image afterwards if he did bitmap trace, the glasses and eyes are too clean, and the logo on the shirt has been put on afterwards, and the logos on the neck band are removed. i have been messing around in flashmx's bitmap trace but i cant seem to get the right balance/contrast to make the lines the same, its something i haven't really used before other to break pictures down and play with them in flash, now im 100% that has been bitmap traced or something somehow and then followed up with some touch up work to improve the picture?....

however these are my thoughts...

Picture

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-01-15 20:19:54 Reply

Flash trace, 30 treshhold 24 min curve area
Close enough?