New Topic Respond to this Topic
XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Might as well give my two cents here with a number of points being made recently:

Regs being elitists and discouraging to other art posts? I don't feel any sort of diminishment of my stature as an occasional poster in comparison to the sheer volume of posts by the few regs left. To date, I've had about four maybe five regs give comments on the work I do in my personal thread and all were helpful (really didn't expect maficmelody to take one of his comment as far as a drawing showing shapes representations in a space based off of what I originally posted, but like I said it helped.)

Wanting more art out of the regs isn't something practical, in a way. For all we know they could be applying their talents to collabs that are not advertised in the forums as of yet. Another possibility is that they are in a slump as far as coming up with new ideas. Unless they're doing something based on a reference, it's kinda hard for them to pull something out of their ass and call it an inspiration worth drawing.
I see Fifty-50, Aigis, and flowers10 (just to name a few) pop up once in a while, and they blow the s*it I put my mark on off the planet in terms of quality every time. But unless they post their works as they progress to get feedback in the early stages, it's easily a couple weeks of steady work or more to turn out the kind of quality we typically see from any of the regs.

And Kuma (going off your post at 4:22pm EST): Despite the fact that I am responding to this, in my mind this useless dribble of an argument is an example of why some of the more seasoned regs disappeared. Arguing over how people apply themselves and in what capacity rather than post more yourself, doesn't matter if what you post is your own work for critique by others or a critique of someone else that looks to be trying to improve or is showcasing , doesn't help. If you want more than what is offered, lead by example instead of laying the groundwork and expecting people to pick up what you started.

Words are forever just that, they carry no weight if none are willing to act.

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 07:33 PM Reply

At 8/18/11 06:04 PM, XWarrior61 wrote: in my mind this useless dribble of an argument is an example of why some of the more seasoned regs disappeared.

...what?

Arguing over how people apply themselves and in what capacity rather than post more yourself, doesn't matter if what you post is your own work for critique by others or a critique of someone else that looks to be trying to improve or is showcasing , doesn't help.

I keep reading this over and over, but it makes no sense to me.

If you want more than what is offered, lead by example instead of laying the groundwork and expecting people to pick up what you started.

I guess you missed the point.
And some text, apparently.

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 10:26 PM Reply

I think that there should be a topic stickied to the top of the forum with links to all of the Activity threads.
Just saying.

Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 18th, 2011 @ 11:31 PM Reply

We've had the sticky discussion several times now, mods to my knowledge can't sticky topics
hopefully with the redesign, the forums will be getting a much needed updating. many things are starting to show their age.

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 04:37 AM Reply

MADLAB's has got banned from Kongregate, finally.
I noticed he's started uploading Music, which is a lot harder to crack down on, unfortunately ;/

BBS Signature
ugblahtheartistic
ugblahtheartistic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 04:47 AM Reply

wha-is madlab?

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 06:33 AM Reply

One of the craftier art thieves we've come across.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 07:38 AM Reply

At 8/19/11 04:37 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: MADLAB's has got banned from Kongregate, finally.
I noticed he's started uploading Music, which is a lot harder to crack down on, unfortunately ;/

Bring it up in the audio forum. If he's stealing music from Newgrounds, they'll totally snipe him.

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 10:42 AM Reply

At 8/18/11 07:33 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I guess you missed the point.
And some text, apparently.

Ususally the case with me, I'll go back and hide in my hole for a while.

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 19th, 2011 @ 12:35 PM Reply

Some friends of mine from college started a pretty sweet art challange blog. Its sorta like the doubles we have here, but with a twist. As of now what they are doing works so well because they work with a smaller group and in a more direct personal way with each artist, and only 2 at a time.

I bet we could figure out something similar for the forums. Some sort of sketch exchange type thing. If people like this idea I'll think of something and get it started.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 04:55 AM Reply

Every time I see TheZen post I get sad when I realize he's not e-m-b-r-i-o.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 09:42 AM Reply

Quoting from this thread

At 8/20/11 09:26 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: Every time an artist does a job for free, or for a dirt cheap price ($30-$45) they downgrade the value of art as people begin to expect that level from artists. One of the major rules of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) is never do work for free or for below value as this causes companies to devalue artists. People doing that crap is the whole reason we have starving artists, or artists having to have a day job to finance their work.

As sorry as I am for all you lovely (would be) professionals; this is crap. Sure I understand that that is an adopted rule by AIGA, but forcing it on others or blaming them for not doing so is utter Bullshit. If you as a professional artist can't compete with free or cheap amateurs; i.e. companies don't value your art that much higher than an amateurs, that is your problem. You can either try to convince companies of the value of profesional work, or draw the conclusion that your art isn't that economically valuable. Tough luck; there are lots of poeple that can't make a living doing what they like to do.
If artists should have any special stature, that should come from the artists themselves (convincing companies of their worth) or from the government subsidizing artists, not from some kind of arbitrary monopoly.
Again, I'm sorry if (or rather, that) this means we have starving artists, but so be it. Apparently poeple value your work as a bartender/supermarket employee/dog portraitist/whatever more than your work as an artist

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 8/19/11 12:35 PM, ornery wrote: If people like this idea I'll think of something and get it started.

I approve :D

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 12:59 PM Reply

At 8/21/11 09:42 AM, J-qb wrote: Quoting from this thread
Again, I'm sorry if (or rather, that) this means we have starving artists, but so be it. Apparently poeple value your work as a bartender/supermarket employee/dog portraitist/whatever more than your work as an artist

Qb.... I think I just shed a tear for that :')

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
RhysFTW
RhysFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 01:38 PM Reply

hey guys, would anyone be kind enough to review my recently uploaded picture I just done please? Also kensei if you could be kind enough to review my work again?

MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 02:21 PM Reply

Woah!

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?
A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature
MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 02:25 PM Reply

At 8/21/11 01:38 PM, RhysFTW wrote: hey guys, would anyone be kind enough to review my recently uploaded picture I just done please? Also kensei if you could be kind enough to review my work again?

I think you need to request it here.

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 8/21/11 02:26 PM, bilalz wrote: is my art good enough to be stolen?

I would say...no? Are you asking if we think you've stolen the artwork you've uploaded, or just upset that you're work isn't good enough to cause someone to try and steal it yet?

Weird question either way.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
VividGrim
VividGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 02:56 PM Reply

Any art is.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 8/21/11 02:56 PM, VividGrim wrote:
Any art is.

I'd steal my art, and I don't even make any.

MasterMerol
MasterMerol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 21st, 2011 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Use tineye or google images to see if someone has stolen it.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 01:03 PM Reply

Something worth some lols
Famous Guns Replaced with Nintendo Zappers
Bob! you should have another Photo Manipulation of the Week with this being the Theme...

>.>.... or maybe I should.

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:10 PM Reply

so I was thinking of starting an artists for hire thread like the voice acting threads where they advertise their skills we can have the the art forum peeps advertising their strengths and availability.
for example
Name:
Derp Do
Portfolio:
Link Do
Speciality:
Special Derp Do
Availability:
Only payed /free work is fine
Contact
[email protected]

Idk just an idea, this way if people say LOOKING FOR FREE WORKERS we can point them to the thread and they can look for artists here they like who are willing to work for free, or if they wanna pay artists there will be artists there also who specify they do payed commissions. Idk , just an idea. Been done? Better suggestions?

My Artsy Thread
Current top 3 forum artists

Fersteger /Flowers10 / ZaneZansorrow

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 8/22/11 02:10 PM, LuckyDesign wrote: so I was thinking of starting an artists for hire thread

Seems interesting, it really does.
I may second the idea

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 8/22/11 01:03 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Something worth some lols
Famous Guns Replaced with Nintendo Zappers
Bob! you should have another Photo Manipulation of the Week with this being the Theme...
>.>.... or maybe I should.

LOL! Great Idea! Do it. "Cause there's no way in hell I'm making that sample pic. Use the nintendo force young padawan!

threadwood
threadwood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 8/22/11 02:10 PM, LuckyDesign wrote: so I was thinking of starting an artists for hire thread like the voice acting threads where they advertise their skills we can have the the art forum peeps advertising their strengths and availability.
for example
Name:
Derp Do
Portfolio:
Link Do
Speciality:
Special Derp Do
Availability:
Only payed /free work is fine
Contact
[email protected]

Idk just an idea, this way if people say LOOKING FOR FREE WORKERS we can point them to the thread and they can look for artists here they like who are willing to work for free, or if they wanna pay artists there will be artists there also who specify they do payed commissions. Idk , just an idea. Been done? Better suggestions?

it IS a good idea. in fact, I presented a very similar idea a while ago when the forum was filled with annoying commission requests:

could you guys make a "Looking for Work" thread or page? a place where newgrounds artists looking for freelance work/commissions can post their portfolios/examples and contact info? then people looking for artwork can go there, get the contact info, and contact the artists outside of newgrounds. maybe someone could cast judgements as to who should be allowed to display their work on the page, you know, to keep 12 year old anime kids off of it.

no one liked the idea.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 8/22/11 04:00 PM, threadwood wrote:
it IS a good idea. in fact, I presented a very similar idea a while ago when the forum was filled with annoying commission requests:

could you guys make a "Looking for Work" thread or page? a place where newgrounds artists looking for freelance work/commissions can post their portfolios/examples and contact info? then people looking for artwork can go there, get the contact info, and contact the artists outside of newgrounds. maybe someone could cast judgements as to who should be allowed to display their work on the page, you know, to keep 12 year old anime kids off of it.

no one liked the idea.

Your guys ideas are indeed good and I can see where you are coming from. But the unfortunate truth is that these kind of threads never really get used. We redirect people there and nothing happens, additionally the request still pop up since people don't use the search function.

Don't get me wrong, the idea is nice, I just don't think it will work. Not beacuse I am a pessimist, just by experience.

But most important, what do our friendly neighbourhood mods think?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 05:07 PM Reply

I don't have a problem with an Artist Advertisement thread, and it'd be cool to see something set up.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 22nd, 2011 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Actually, I'm pretty sure we actually started an "Artists for Hire" thread a while back, where people posted what types of art they could offer (I remember Ash and Gumby posted in it).
Unfortunately, just like the "Voice Actor for Hire" thread it was mostly overlooked.....