New Topic Respond to this Topic
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 20:44:02 Reply

At 8/17/11 08:42 PM, threadwood wrote: along the line of feeling like an outsider, what the hell is all the clock crap?! I know the clock thing has been around for a while but I have absolutely no idea what it's all about.

Shabaaam

It's kind of a joke now, noone really remembers it so it's got all the effects that Easter has.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 20:50:47 Reply

At 8/17/11 08:43 PM, EJR wrote: Thank you Luwano but you should really say good luck to Ryan since it is his contest; I just made the thread ~~~

He originally just wanted it on his news post but then I said, no wait Ryan i'll post it in the art forum for you because you'd get more attention there

regrets regrets regrets

It's awkward that users regret posting an art contest in the art forum, no matter how disliked the theme is, as long as it doesn't break the rules and they are serious about it. :(

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 20:55:11 Reply

At 8/17/11 08:17 PM, Luwano wrote:
And I can't believe the pony contest is such a big topic. If you want to participate, do it, if you think it's a joke leave it. The worst that will come out of it are lucky artists with store credit. The people spamming it are the actual problem, not art forum regs. But everyone should be allowed to express his dislike for memes.

THANK YOU. xD

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 20:58:35 Reply

and i wish i could quote captain ben's but it's too long, xD
he speaks the truth. We're either the friggin' douchey hipsters of newgrounds, or baballing internet meme idiots.
Can't we just be artists? Why does everyone gotta attack eachother, jeez. We're artists. we've spent some portion of our life being open minded and creative. So why can't we just chill the fuck out?

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 21:09:43 Reply

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think any art reg actually spammed the contest. They just pointed out, that they hope there will be some better entries soon.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 21:17:49 Reply

aslplox

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 21:28:39 Reply

At 8/17/11 09:17 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: aslplox

This, this right here guys. This is the reason no one respects this forum, or wants to come here.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 21:34:07 Reply

At 8/17/11 09:28 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
This, this right here guys. This is the reason no one respects this forum, or wants to come here.

seconded. I don't care if you were just joking around. That was unfunny, and made you look like a dick. :3

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:03:19 Reply

I agree

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
CloudObler
CloudObler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:10:13 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:03 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote:
I agree

Stop ruining the art forum tre!!!
It's all your fault that people hate us!

Why can't you be normal?!
Why can't you be respectful?!
Why don't you love me anymore?! ... >:'C

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:18:51 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:10 PM, CloudObler wrote: more unfunny bullshit

Again, glad you guys want to deliberately perpetuate what makes this forum a cesspool. I was hoping my post would kick off a meaningful conversation where we could hopefully discuss ways to try and bring the forum back up to something that people want to be a part of. Instead I just got more of the same bullshit that made me leave the forum in the first place.

I know the actions of just two of the regs don't speak for all of you, but if you want to continue on with this garbage and let the forum become more of a joke than it already is be my guest.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:24:48 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:18 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:

:more really good points

There is no hope. Lets just hold out for deviantart getting a decent fucking forum.
Y'know, I left newgrounds for a few months, and sometimes a reallllly wish I hadn't came back.

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:36:34 Reply

whoever locked my little pony, you're my fucking hero.

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:38:12 Reply

Whoa! Ben, Jeeshwa, don't be so hasty to give up hope. It's not like there isn't any good on this forum at all. Is it?

Personally, I'm excited that CHOW has started up again, I have always had fun with that in the past. And I really hope to find time to do something for J-qb's self-portrait collab. This is the reason I come to the art forum. If I don't know what to draw there is always inspiration aplenty. I wouldn't draw at all if I didn't have this community to share my finished product with.

Let's work together to make this place better for everyone.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:38:12 Reply

Ben, some of us were talking in the stickam chat, and general air of the chat was in agreement with you, and we decided to be more arty hence some bumpage of fun art threads like the evo thread =]

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:38:36 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:18 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: I know the actions of just two of the regs don't speak for all of you, but if you want to continue on with this garbage and let the forum become more of a joke than it already is be my guest.

You know, Ben, there are alternatives to the Art Forum if you're actually expecting a mediated conversation. Conceptart.org comes to mind, and most of the art related threads there are treated with a modicum of respect when it comes to replies.

But even then, they tend to have quite a bit of fun. And that's really what this forum is about, or has at least turned into; having fun while procrastinating on actually doing anything for as long as possible. I don't really want to change that, because f I wanted to really discuss the intricacies of technique and art itself, I'd probably just go to conceptart.org (although that's just a singular example, there are many others).

I do agree that this forum should beget a little more creation, however I don't nearly agree that we should be any more serious - aslplox is a perfectly valid response in my opinion, and will continue to be for quite some time. Let's keep that, in our satchel of wishes, and outside of the newest pony competition (who, let's face it, even a moderator is mocking (although not maliciously)) the art regulars aren't cunts to anyone other then other cunts.

All in all, it's a rather neat setup that just should do a little more, but that right there is me being part of the problem.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:45:27 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:18 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 8/17/11 10:10 PM, CloudObler wrote: more unfunny bullshit
Again, glad you guys want to deliberately perpetuate what makes this forum a cesspool. I was hoping my post would kick off a meaningful conversation where we could hopefully discuss ways to try and bring the forum back up to something that people want to be a part of. Instead I just got more of the same bullshit that made me leave the forum in the first place.

I know the actions of just two of the regs don't speak for all of you, but if you want to continue on with this garbage and let the forum become more of a joke than it already is be my guest.

Honestly, why would you be sad about it? Your a good enough artist to go hang out in some of the better communities. This place use to be pretty productive and had cool collabs especially in the summer but thats kinda dead now bro.

I was able to get away with a shitty "make your own sonic character" thread for 3 pages. Fuck, even Tom Fulp jumped in on the action. Thats kinda saying something on part of the standards of the Art Forum now.
And yeah, no one really posts any art and when they do no one bothers to give any feed back. Its just how this shit works now.

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 22:52:39 Reply

At 8/17/11 10:45 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Honestly, why would you be sad about it? Your a good enough artist to go hang out in some of the better communities. This place use to be pretty productive and had cool collabs especially in the summer but thats kinda dead now bro.

This place used to be my better community. It was full of artists I looked up to, who were easily approachable for critique or collaboration. The point of all this is that I don't want to go to another site. I truly like Newgrounds. Just because it's dead now doesn't mean we can't fix that.

I was able to get away with a shitty "make your own sonic character" thread for 3 pages. Fuck, even Tom Fulp jumped in on the action. Thats kinda saying something on part of the standards of the Art Forum now.

There's nothing wrong with a fun, stupid thread. The OMNOMNOM thread I did awhile back was a blast and just consisted of people drawing mouths on things that already looked like mouths. It was funny and everyone jumped in. To be honest your sonic character thread was something I've wanted to make for awhile now, but never got around to it. Dumb threads are fun, the problem is nowadays sometimes the threads that should be dumb and fun get neglected.

And yeah, no one really posts any art and when they do no one bothers to give any feed back. Its just how this shit works now.

This is absolutely the wrong attitude. "It's broke so why bother fixing it." That's bullshit. This forum used to be awesome, and is more than capable of being that way again.

To Sockembop:

I'm not giving up hope all together. Part of the reason I decided to be more active on the forum again was because it has been getting a little better lately than what it was. I was just trying to point out what I felt was still an issue in hopes of starting discussion.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:01:37 Reply

okay okay okay
ill step up my game with posting art and doing collabs and stuff
lets hope the Creaturing thread will bring some good to the art forum. Im all in for that one.

Also,Big-Jonny can make a Battle Royale II.....just throwing that out there.

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:05:46 Reply

god, a year ago, this forum was the shiiiiiit.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:10:41 Reply

At 8/17/11 11:05 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote: god, a year ago, this forum was the shiiiiiit.

A year ago the forum was in way worse condition than it was now. At least now the regs are done backseat modding and being mean to every new face we see.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
ugblahtheartistic
ugblahtheartistic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:32:50 Reply

look the MIP: FIM art contest wasn't a bad idea because "OH PONIES ARE SO OLD LUL" I mean I'd be all over a ninja turtles fan art thing or transformers. With those, you can stylize! but My little pony? the defining thing in that show IS the art style. If you try to stylize it or make it your own, it'll just look like fan art of any other version of my little pony.

also, bitching that the art forum sucks, doesn't prove anything. It has its ups, it has its downs, if you don't like it, go leave town (s).

I just don't like it because whenever I make a thread or whatever people bitch endlessly, and when I comply, nothing comes out of it. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK

but the lounge is kewl :3

BBS Signature
VividGrim
VividGrim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:35:07 Reply

Regarding the clique thing: the regs do come off as exclusive. I was pretty intimidated when I joined. I still am, and feel a bit lonely since everyone knows everyone and there are in-jokes and unwritten rules I don't understand.

Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:39:39 Reply

At 8/17/11 11:35 PM, VividGrim wrote: Stuff

Aw, I've come to accept you as one of the regs by this point...

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-17 23:40:37 Reply

you do realize the my little pony thing is a meme, right? xD

i'm hear for yah vivid. I'm kind of a regular, but I don't poor my very soul into newgrounds so I guess I'm not cool enough xD

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-18 00:09:15 Reply

not entirely sure why I'm weighing in on this... but hey I guess I got nothing else to do.

I really don't care for the current attitude, (not pointing fingers or anything,) of either take the forum as-is or GTFO. Nah I don't like that at all.
What I do like from the conversation is what Ben is saying. Yeah things aren't as well off as it used to be, but that is no reason not to try and fix it.Even by time I became a regular, I think the hay day of the forum had begun to fade, but it was pretty fun when I joined, so the good times must have been pretty sweet indeed.
Although the forum has remained fun, in the last few months, I have too noticed a slight decline. But I do have hope, We have some nice events on the horizon, the Comic Jam is right around the corner. The self portrate collab is looking pretty spiffy too, and lets not forget that the Note Book collab is coming along. So we at least have some prospects for the future.

Now, as for this seemly somber conversation, I think we should start kicking around a couple ideas to make the forum better rather than lashing out at each other. I'll start by tossing a couple ideas out there and lets see where it goes.
If we would like to bring in some new members, I think the best idea is to start searching out other artist/users on Newgrounds who show an interest in learning about art.. Tell them about the forum and how we try and be helpful and aid them in improving.
The next Idea is for us to try and all be a little more helpful. I know some users come in and think they are the next Da Vinci with a mouse and MsPaint, and probably need a verbal beating in the form of a wall of text, but perhaps we can save the for when they start to really show their ass.

Well that last one makes me sound hypocritical

I still like the idea of getting a sticky at the top of the Art Forum full of helpful links to places like Art101, the critiquing threads, and even the forum and such. Perhaps one of you lovely mods can have the power to add more links to it as they become more common.

No really, who do we have to give a handjob to get something that.

I'm not saying we have to change overnight, or that we cannot have a good time or fun thread from time to time, but lets at least take some time and put forth some effort try to make this a much more respectable place. If not for the populous of Newgrounds then at least for out selves.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-18 00:29:11 Reply

I think one glaring issue is non-interest in artists who aren't either terrible or amazing.
I am to a point where I don't even attempt to bump my art thread anymore, because I'll post about 3-5 new pieces rapid fire and I get no replies. (Even when I state that I am open to advice or critiques. sup wit' dat?)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-18 00:34:49 Reply

Ben, I want to thank you for bringing up such an important discussion.
I know we've had this same one in the past, but it needs to be brought up every now and then once the forum falls back into a horrible slump.
It pains me to see the forum fall into such a degrading state, just as much as it pains me that I haven't posted any art in months. It's as though the art forum is bi-polar, swinging back and forth between a beautiful and happy environment, and a desolate toxic wasteland.,,,,
Give a hoot, don't pollute [the art forum].

ugblahtheartistic
ugblahtheartistic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-18 00:48:19 Reply

At 8/18/11 12:09 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: If we would like to bring in some new members, I think the best idea is to start searching out other artist/users on Newgrounds who show an interest in learning about art.. Tell them about the forum and how we try and be helpful and aid them in improving.

Art forum regulars being nice to newcomers? GASP!!!

JUST THE THOUGHT OF IT TURNS MY CAPS LOCK ON

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-08-18 01:02:36 Reply

I didn't know that the My Little Pony Contest was being argued over. I genuinely thought it's a good idea for a contest and I was considering making an entry.

About the Art Forum Decline Thing
Considering I haven't been quite involved with the forums as much lately, I do seem to see that it's generally turned "lazy and angry" as I describe it. Although I'm not the one to talk since I'm quite lazy and angry myself but it would sure be great if we started having fun again. I don't really even get what's going on anymore, and I feel more of an outsider to the forums compared to the past. I don't know lol.

At 8/17/11 11:35 PM, VividGrim wrote: Regarding the clique thing: the regs do come off as exclusive. I was pretty intimidated when I joined. I still am, and feel a bit lonely since everyone knows everyone and there are in-jokes and unwritten rules I don't understand.

Why didn't you say so? I'm here to help you. All the jokes here usually involve drama and the regs themselves. I'll do my best.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature