New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 06:55 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 01:59 AM, M-Vero wrote: Sure is a bunch of stalkers in here.

Yeah, I find it a bit odd how everyone here is like "hey, Wesmeadow left and went to dA! Let's follow him and harass him there!"

He's an asshole, sure, but I feel like we should just leave him be. His opinions won't become any better than they are, and it really only makes our forum look bad for us to post rants and insults on his dA page, funny though it may be.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 07:11 AM Reply

New topic. I'm planning to go to a college with a course of Fine-arts since I'm almost done with highschool. Do you think it's practical to choose art that has no sure path rather than picking a course that can get you surely employed? I'm taking exams somewhere in June or July this year.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 07:27 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:11 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I'm almost done with highschool.

dude wut

Anyway, as for the practicality of choosing something just to guarantee employement, I guess that it all depends on whether or not you're confident in your ability to gain employment regardless of the course - how well you know the creative arts industry, whether you have the drive, etc.

If you're completely unsure, then you will probably be much better off taking the course. If you know what you're doing, to an extent, and could probably get a little help anyway, then choosing a course that'll help you ever more improve your arts, or diving straight into the industry would be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck either way.

BizarroJoe
BizarroJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 07:50 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:11 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: New topic. I'm planning to go to a college with a course of Fine-arts since I'm almost done with highschool. Do you think it's practical to choose art that has no sure path rather than picking a course that can get you surely employed? I'm taking exams somewhere in June or July this year.

I'd love to give you some advice, but the only safe way to know whether it'd be good or not to take on that course would be using a crystal ball.
Last week, a friend of my father (which happens to be a painter, and he runs an art academy.) told me about the matter of me not having the chance to take a major on Fine Arts that "In Fine Arts you won't learn anything".
To that statement (not new to me, by the way), my common sense replied to myself: "Yeah, but I'd have had the chance of working with disciplines, materials and techniques that I'm unable to try out in my current situation".
My current "Digital Art Career" started at a web design course for unemployed people. (I also learnt to handle a computer there...) Learning the basics to CorelDRAW started it all for me (And I knew about Newgrounds during that course, too!)
This is my experience... It's the only relevant piece of information I can share with you right now. Useful of not, you decide that...

... Aaand on an unrelated side, whoa, 1000 blams have been hard to get...

Art Forum Lounge

TuRdz
TuRdz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 09:26 AM Reply

... Aaand on an unrelated side, whoa, 1000 blams have been hard to get...

Good job mate! Must've taken quite a while. I wish I had that many blams!

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 10:44 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:50 AM, BizarroJoe wrote: ... Aaand on an unrelated side, whoa, 1000 blams have been hard to get...

i have more saves because im not an evil bastard

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:50 AM, BizarroJoe wrote: ... Aaand on an unrelated side, whoa, 1000 blams have been hard to get...

Took you long enough :P

On a semi-related note, I level up in 2 days.
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:11 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: New topic. I'm planning to go to a college with a course of Fine-arts since I'm almost done with highschool.

I was actually going to school for art, and worked as a graphic designer and realized somethings: As a graphic designer you can only really design things for offices (business cards, flyers, letterheads and stuff) things for new business' or general promotion (ads, logos,) and... well banners, movie posters and such. The market is REALLY saturated (why I got laid off) because of the accessibility of the tools for pre-print and even the how-to's. I never went to college to study graphic design but from the little I learned in Highschool I was working with people who had 5 to 40 years of experience and I was not far behind from what was expected of these veterans.

Now in terms of art, college can and will teach you some pretty useful things like technique and history, (not that western America has any real good art schools we only have like two), but towards the end, depending on what you're trying to be what really matters is your portfolio and I'd say like graphic design art in general is a saturated market. I mean look at the word "artist" a hundred or more years ago it meant someone who mastered an art as a profession and these people could sculpt, paint and what have you. Now, "artist" means "I torrented photoshop and sai and have a tablet".

I don't think I answered anything, just ranted.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 12:24 PM Reply

I almost have my diploma!!! Ill post pics once i get it because i know you guys wont believe me lol.

Also, Ive been playing lots of Magic the Gathering cus a new set came out and i got caught up in it.

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 12:29 PM Reply

400th page btw

winning

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 12:34 PM Reply

At 5/11/11 12:24 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: I almost have my diploma!!! Ill post pics once i get it because i know you guys wont believe me lol.

Yeah, I know I wont ;D

Also, Ive been playing lots of Magic the Gathering cus a new set came out and i got caught up in it.

I haven't played MTG in years, since probably grade 9 or 10, which was about 5 or 6 years ago. I remember when I looked back into the cards in grade 12, the new cards had just become so ridiculously overpowered that I was like "Wow, what a bunch of shit."

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 05:56 PM Reply

I too have been looking at lots of art-y colleges and think I wanna get into a more advertisy/web design art thing, cause like Knocturne said, how many thousands of graphic designers are out there as competition? I wanted to be that kinda, but I'm moving towards a more digital thing. And I'm still in high school, but I think that's what I wanna do :)

XWarrior61
XWarrior61
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 06:28 PM Reply

My advice, being a college student myself:
Pick up one or two minors in something like business (U.S. history major myself, contemplating completing a marine science minor). The extra classes won't be fun, but most employers like to see a wider education than just the classes from your declared major.
Also, once you're in college for art, keep a portfolio of all of your work.

*note* picture below belongs to a very good friend of mine who is going to school for digital art (posted here with his permission)

Art Forum Lounge

Just testing things out l popcorn
XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature
Kumakun4
Kumakun4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 5/11/11 05:56 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I too have been looking at lots of art-y colleges and think I wanna get into a more advertisy/web design art thing, cause like Knocturne said, how many thousands of graphic designers are out there as competition? I wanted to be that kinda, but I'm moving towards a more digital thing. And I'm still in high school, but I think that's what I wanna do :)

I'm 25 and I'm only starting to figure out what I might want to do. I started in 2D animation, went to computer technology, then programming... never finished any of it :D
And I don't think I'm worse for wear.
So you've got plenty of time to figure it out.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 08:37 PM Reply

At 5/11/11 07:54 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I'm 25 and I'm only starting to figure out what I might want to do. I started in 2D animation, went to computer technology, then programming... never finished any of it :D
And I don't think I'm worse for wear.
So you've got plenty of time to figure it out.

I want to go to college to become a biotechnical engineer.
But I also want to take a major/minor in art. Or animation.
I really don't know; there are several different career paths for me to choose some that I'm interested in, but I guess I have a lot of time to decide.

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2011 @ 09:10 PM Reply

i did a year of graphic design at college and am currently doing a year of I.T and computing with another year if i pass this one, excellent setup for webdesign after im done if im lucky

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 05:35 PM Reply

Found this user on dA.... suprisingly you can also find some good stuff there.

The reason I stumbled across her, was this pic.

Also, I already regret posting in wesmeadow's thread. It should just die. :(

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 5/12/11 05:35 PM, Luwano wrote: Found this user on dA.... suprisingly you can also find some good stuff there.

Lol, animals on bikes.

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 06:44 PM Reply

I dropped my already busted tablet pen again and re-busted it.

Piss.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 5/12/11 05:35 PM, Luwano wrote: Found this user on dA.... suprisingly you can also find some good stuff there.

The reason I stumbled across her, was this pic.

Shark On A Bicycle

This is awesome beyond words...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 08:44 PM Reply

No pointless image spamming for the 400th page?!??! ...how disappointing.

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 5/12/11 08:44 PM, CloudEater wrote: No pointless image spamming for the 400th page?!??! ...how disappointing.

Pointless?

Art Forum Lounge

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
TheDragonBoy
TheDragonBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 5/12/11 08:46 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 5/12/11 08:44 PM, CloudEater wrote: No pointless image spamming for the 400th page?!??! ...how disappointing.
Pointless?

Well done.

-warwicks on the prowl, aww fuck man I know i'm dead-

go to my ill named thread here.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 09:38 PM Reply

College major discussion? Interesting.

You know how there are kids who want to major in fine art and their parents refuse to allow them because there are no jobs in it? My situation is the opposite.
My father wants very badly for me to do art for my living, and while I'd enjoy that, I don't want to go down that road because it's incredibly risky and lacks any security whatsoever. I don't want something that I'm guaranteed to always make X amount in, but I don't want to starve either.

Especially weird considering my dad is a doctor and so you'd expect him to want his children to do something with security, like he's doing.

However, I am considering something at least somewhat similar, like others here have mentioned, in Design. My older brother is a professional graphic designer and he enjoys his work, and he's been influencing my thoughts towards that. It's still a pretty precarious career option, but there seems to be much more work available in design then in fine art.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 12th, 2011 @ 10:00 PM Reply

I dunno, my old highschool film teacher is pushing me to pursue music despite saying how hard and how much of a gamble it is, but then it turned out it was one of his many dreams as a youth and he just values following what you love over doing what gets you dinner every night.

What kind of design does your brother do Lux?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 13th, 2011 @ 12:26 AM Reply

Level up!

Just wanted to point that out here.
Also, I've never had the chance to take an art class :C
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 13th, 2011 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 5/12/11 09:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: College major discussion? Interesting.

You know how there are kids who want to major in fine art and their parents refuse to allow them because there are no jobs in it? My situation is the opposite.

Yeah, my parents are pretty supportive of my endeavors in the art field.

My father wants very badly for me to do art for my living, and while I'd enjoy that, I don't want to go down that road because it's incredibly risky and lacks any security whatsoever. I don't want something that I'm guaranteed to always make X amount in, but I don't want to starve either.

I'm kind of concerned about that too.. I'm really interested in the art/design field, but am incredibly scared of ending up a poor/failed man due to competition/lack of interest from clients.

However, I am considering something at least somewhat similar, like others here have mentioned, in Design.

That's what I want to do as well! I think being a designer/advertiser/more business/marketing oriented artist would be cool.

My older brother is a professional graphic designer and he enjoys his work, and he's been influencing my thoughts towards that. It's still a pretty precarious career option, but there seems to be much more work available in design then in fine art.

Yeah, I am not really planning on any "fine art" type of job because that is just relying solely on artistic talent and how many people buy your paintings. Hey, you could end up like squidward.

Art Forum Lounge

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 13th, 2011 @ 01:07 AM Reply

"Bold and brash?"
More like, "Belongs in the Trash!"
Braha wahaha hahahahahahaha

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 13th, 2011 @ 01:10 AM Reply

Talking about jobs eh?

As most of you could guess, i dont really care for being financially stable. Theres lots of odd jobs and being a traveling hobo is pretty fun anyways. Now those aren't my plans but im able to accept any life style as long as im not living with a relative. I had to have my entire family talk me into finishing school and moving in with my grandparents rather than being a vagabond.

I guess my plan is to be independent and experiential with music, art, computers etc and absorb as much as i can on my own until i go to a art school. Like ive said before i dont want to get a degree and do one thing i want to explore every medium and aspect of art. My ultimate goal is to someday make a video game about vexons successful enough to get me the money to invest into my other dream "projects"

BBS Signature
Danopus
Danopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 13th, 2011 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 5/13/11 12:26 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Level up!
Just wanted to point that out here.
Also, I've never had the chance to take an art class :C

I did, but I didn't take up the offer. Our art teachers don't give two shits about anything other than abstract triangle stuff; which really isn't my thing.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature