00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

956,796 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 17:53:04

Just checkin' in. I'm not dead, just lurking.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:10:24

As I've mentioned before, I'm slightly retarded when it comes to many of the actual digital aspects of digital art. I'm starting to really want to learn how to touch up on my pieces, though, and add a little bit of extra flare to them.
One thing I've always wanted to learn how to do is give entire pieces a kind of soft texture, like the one present in this piece. How exactly does one go about doing such a thing?

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:20:25

At 4/3/11 07:10 PM, Luxembourg wrote: As I've mentioned before, I'm slightly retarded when it comes to many of the actual digital aspects of digital art. I'm starting to really want to learn how to touch up on my pieces, though, and add a little bit of extra flare to them.
One thing I've always wanted to learn how to do is give entire pieces a kind of soft texture, like the one present in this piece. How exactly does one go about doing such a thing?

overlay or multiply, and making the overlay/multiply very transparent so its not too prominent, grayscaling the texture helps aswell so it doesnt add any unwanted colour to the piece, i use that technique quite a bit, adds that little something to a boring piece

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:31:20

At 4/3/11 07:20 PM, Ashman wrote:

overlay or multiply, and making the overlay/multiply very transparent so its not too prominent, grayscaling the texture helps aswell so it doesnt add any unwanted colour to the piece, i use that technique quite a bit, adds that little something to a boring piece

How do I make the texture, though?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:35:39

At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Luxembourg wrote: How do I make the texture, though?

just get one you like from somewhere, google images, cgtextures, deviantart, iv got a folder with hundreds of em, open that in your drawing, and do what i said with multiply and whatever

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:42:03

At 4/3/11 07:35 PM, Ashman wrote:
At 4/3/11 07:31 PM, Luxembourg wrote: How do I make the texture, though?
just get one you like from somewhere, google images, cgtextures, deviantart, iv got a folder with hundreds of em, open that in your drawing, and do what i said with multiply and whatever

Oh, that's a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Thanks, Ash!

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 19:59:28

Hey there, my first time posting in the Art Forums Lounge so excuse if here it is not the place for it but what you guys think about this art of mine?

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:05:13

At 4/3/11 07:59 PM, Spysociety wrote: Hey there, my first time posting in the Art Forums Lounge so excuse if here it is not the place for it but what you guys think about this art of mine?

meh, it's a little dull. The pixelated lighting isn't helping.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:07:59

Well in my opnion the lightning sounded much more realistic pixelated then vectors, because generally the Flash vectors in .jpg looks a bit unreal or fake. Having it pixelated gave it much more atmosphere in my opnion.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:09:33

Regarding this thread...
Me and a few other users left in the stickam room were talking, and have decided that it's not really fair that this got locked, and that our community was kind of a dick about the whole thing.

The art forum is for posting, learning, and improving. Granted, this guy is not good, he still deserves to be able to post his art in the forum like everyone else. Everyone has been shitty at some point, and so to ridicule/embarrass/lock him up, that's not really right. If we were all ridiculed like that when we were first starting out (I know I wasn't very welcome when I first joined the art forum), then lots of talent will be hindered and cut off.

If we really don't like his art that much, just let him keep posting it in the thread, and don't check on it. There's no need for him to not be able to continue to try, or else he'll stay that bad.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it, but it just doesn't seem very nice.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:11:02

At 4/3/11 08:07 PM, Spysociety wrote:
Well in my opnion the lightning sounded much more realistic pixelated then vectors, because generally the Flash vectors in .jpg looks a bit unreal or fake. Having it pixelated gave it much more atmosphere in my opnion.

no it doesnt, it looks pixelated and bad and more fake than if youd used vectors, also the clouds are pixelated....and bad, and most of the picture has bad jpg artifacts

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:18:30

At 4/3/11 08:07 PM, Spysociety wrote:

The issue is that the lightning is a different style than the building, and the moon is different again. You don't want to combine multiple different art styles in the same piece because it just weakens it (unless you really know what you're doing).

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 20:19:25

At 4/3/11 08:09 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Regarding this thread...

Ghetti, if the guy was actually trying, I'd agree with ya.
But he's not. In fact, he's a thief, and we all know how "excited" I get over those.
So yeah sorry, the guy ruined his chances with me before he even got started.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 22:57:10

At 4/3/11 08:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: But he's not. In fact, he's a thief, and we all know how "excited" I get over those.

Should have known.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 23:26:57

At 4/3/11 08:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
But he's not. In fact, he's a thief, and we all know how "excited" I get over those.

Report that shit to Wade, and he'll take it down.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 23:29:26

At 4/3/11 11:26 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 4/3/11 08:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Report that shit to Wade, and he'll take it down.

I have actually had very little luck with that in the past.
I've e-mailed him, and Pm'd him on stolen submissions, but no luck. So I have kind of given up on that method, and go the more petty route and down vote it daily...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 23:44:07

At 4/3/11 11:29 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I have actually had very little luck with that in the past.
I've e-mailed him, and Pm'd him on stolen submissions, but no luck. So I have kind of given up on that method, and go the more petty route and down vote it daily...

Well, every time I've found a stolen flash, and it passed judgment, I've just pm'd wade, and it gets taken down.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-03 23:51:29

At 4/3/11 11:44 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, every time I've found a stolen flash, and it passed judgment, I've just pm'd wade, and it gets taken down.

Guess I'm just unlucky

Which really isn't much of a stretch now is it?...

Perhaps Wade just finds me annoying and probably thinks "WTF this asshole is PMing me AGAIN!?! Good fucking lord, what now, Another stolen flash?!? You know, I'll just delete this and pretend I never saw it...."

>.>..... I haven't been in the best of moods lately.... obviously....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 03:16:01

on another note... why is jonny avoiding me... he wont anwser my phone calls, dosent reply to my pm's and every time me and renaenae are in a stickcam room alone he freaks out and leaves...

what is he up to :O

also...

dont worky cantsay... iv been trying to pm tom and wade things for years... and only managed to get one reply from tom... *sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 04:05:15

I totally agree with you spagg. Although I think its okay that the thread got locked, but thats because of the way it turned into a showcase of how stupid and fucked up (part of) the art community is rather than a showcase of the guys art.
If you don't like his art, just ignore it. If you cant think of a positive way to phrase your criticism, dont post it. I find it saddening that the same people that got upset over kr8to are now following in his footsteps.
At kinsei: I know that having no faith in the system and playing your own judge is as much a part of your culture as bwing dumb, xenophobe and drunk is, but seriously; its not your job and even if it was, this is not the way to handle it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 06:47:25

At 4/4/11 04:05 AM, J-qb wrote: I totally agree with you spagg. Although I think its okay that the thread got locked, but thats because of the way it turned into a showcase of how stupid and fucked up (part of) the art community is rather than a showcase of the guys art.

... yeah and no. Whilst I admit people can be dickish at times (myself included) it was locked because it was terrible, and I don't want to give people the impression that all art threads in the forum are full of fail. Hell, this art thread starts off with "Saw a few and thought why not. I do suck, I'd like to mention. But not as hard as some people I've seen. "

Sadly, people are more interested in looking at a train wreck than the unveiling of a pioneering railway system.

Regarding criticism, no comment is better than insulting guys, sure. Sometimes something is so poor that suggesting anything is a total waste of time, and it's best to let it die early.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 07:48:18

we're all terrible people

especially you kinsei

and we should make an effort to welcome new users, regardless of artistic ability

especially you kinsei

if people want to showcase their art why should they be treated differently because of their quality, or the arts content, we're an art community to try and help and improve peoples art, not flame bad, and mindlessly praise good, i see mindless praise more than flaming and trolling, and it annoys me more

tl;dr i hate mindless praise with no criticism more than flaming

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 07:57:59

At 4/4/11 07:48 AM, Ashman wrote: tl;dr

lol, how much do you have to write before you think people give up reading it?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 07:59:47

At 4/4/11 07:57 AM, PigeonOnAStick wrote:
At 4/4/11 07:48 AM, Ashman wrote: tl;dr
lol, how much do you have to write before you think people give up reading it?

its me, i just assume people skip my posts if they know what im like

also i wasnt serious, i just wanted you guys to feel guilty

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:01:44

At 4/4/11 07:59 AM, Ashman wrote: its me -

oh god i'm bored

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:06:22

At kinsei: I might have gone a bit overboard there, sorry for that.

So... Is any of you guys/galls tech savvy enough to help me find a good desktop pc? I have absolutely no idea what system specs I need. I`ll mostly be using it for Flash and Photoshop; Adobe lists some pretty minimal system requirements for those, but you`d get in trouble when you have bigger projects/large canvas. So if anyone could like give a balanced system specs or tell me what to improve to get better results that would be very much appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:07:31

At 4/4/11 08:01 AM, PigeonOnAStick wrote:
At 4/4/11 07:59 AM, Ashman wrote: its me -
oh god i'm bored

well get on aim then so we can discuss our game!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:46:21

I don't know much about the inner workings of the magic computer box but I do know that memory is very important for stuff like photoshop. I recently upgraded from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM and the difference when using photoshop is very noticeable.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:51:06

At 4/4/11 08:46 AM, The-Worsley-Bear wrote: I don't know much about the inner workings of the magic computer box but I do know that memory is very important for stuff like photoshop. I recently upgraded from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM and the difference when using photoshop is very noticeable.

I was reading up on RAM usage, and here's something I found out. I have 4GB of RAM, but my computer only uses 3.5GB of RAM, as it is a 32-bit operating system. If i had a 64-bit operating system, it could utilize all 4GB of RAM, but I don't really know how much of a difference between the two.
My roommate has a 64-bit OS so he can use all 4GB of RAM, but my lappy can eat his.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-04 08:57:29

At 4/4/11 08:46 AM, The-Worsley-Bear wrote: I don't know much about the inner workings of the magic computer box but I do know that memory is very important for stuff like photoshop. I recently upgraded from 2GB RAM to 4GB RAM and the difference when using photoshop is very noticeable.

Yeah my laptop has 2 x 2GB (dual core) ram but I also once heard that certain programs will only use one core or something like that? To top it of there is also the clockrate to consider...

BBS Signature