bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 11/10/10 07:10 PM, Occluded wrote: Hey guys. I helped make this. You should check it out and spread the love.

Woah man, funky. I could definitely give that a look when it comes out.

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 11/10/10 07:51 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Woah man, funky. I could definitely give that a look when it comes out.

Thanks. I'm psyched. We've been working on it for almost a year.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 11/10/10 06:25 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: *cough*
*wheeze*

Well, it's flu season... has anyone else come down with a case of the "I feel like shit's?"

I got vaccinated so I wouldn't have to go through this, but here we are. =\

I regularly get sick - it's a real bummer, but I get everything from the flu to hay fever throughout the year. My immune system sucks, real bad.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

I need a background for this bastard!!! But I seem to fail every time I try. I'm going for an apocalyptic scene like what Jonny suggested but I can't seem to get it. Help me? Any helpful tutorials?

I'm posting it here cause' my thread is usually ignored... :P

Art Forum Lounge

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 09:59 PM Reply

At 11/10/10 09:55 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I need a background for this bastard!!! But I seem to fail every time I try. I'm going for an apocalyptic scene like what Jonny suggested but I can't seem to get it. Help me? Any helpful tutorials?
I'm posting it here cause' my thread is usually ignored... :P

Well, going off the size of the central figure, any real expansive background would be a good idea - an apocalyptic wasteland, or ruined castle, or hellish underworld - really, anything in the same mood as that guy and a whole lot larger then he is.

As for tutorials, No real idea - I used to know a couple but I've pretty much forgotten about them.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 05:00 AM Reply

At 11/10/10 06:25 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Well, it's flu season... has anyone else come down with a case of the "I feel like shit's?"

I get sick maybe once every three years, and when I do its usually the "feel kinda bad but not bad enough to skip work/school" variety...

At 11/10/10 06:41 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Maybe your immune system is just weak. Remember, a vaccine contains a null version of the virus, so your body can create antibodies to fight it. It's still something foreign to the body so your immune system still needs to defend itself.

Don`t they also use dead virus? so that your body sees it as foreign but you wont get sick from it (maybe a bit of a fever but that isnt actually a symptom of the virus)

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 05:00 AM, J-qb wrote: Don`t they also use dead virus? so that your body sees it as foreign but you wont get sick from it (maybe a bit of a fever but that isnt actually a symptom of the virus)

Yeah, that's why I said null, because the virus can't actually affect your body. Your immune system still has to deal with it, and if it sucks, it busts out the fever, and that's what usually makes people feel shitty.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:02 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 07:49 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yeah, that's why I said null, because the virus can't actually affect your body. Your immune system still has to deal with it, and if it sucks, it busts out the fever, and that's what usually makes people feel shitty.

Yeah youre right misread your post,
Still that wouldnt give him the flu right?

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:19 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 08:02 AM, J-qb wrote: Yeah youre right misread your post,
Still that wouldnt give him the flu right?

No, he wouldn't be having the flu, symptom wise then.
If he does, that could mean that he was infected with the flu before getting the shot.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 10:45 AM Reply

So i got this giant tub of cookie dough, and I haven't made a single cookie yet, I've just been eating all of it raw.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 11/10/10 07:10 PM, Occluded wrote: Hey guys. I helped make this. You should check it out and spread the love.

[ In Limbo ]

looks pretty cool man! I hope it has some sort of alien/fantasy element to it tho - and not just be another cop show..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 10:45 AM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: So i got this giant tub of cookie dough, and I haven't made a single cookie yet, I've just been eating all of it raw.

OBJECTION!!! MAKE A GIANT COOKIE!!!

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 10:48 AM, Chronamut wrote: looks pretty cool man! I hope it has some sort of alien/fantasy element to it tho - and not just be another cop show..

Thanks. Yeah we were shooting for kind of a horror/mystery vibe.

I'm having problems embedding the video in my news post. Where the hell would I find a FAQ or board for that. Tried doing a search and already looked through the standard FAQs. My friend uploaded it maybe he put some restrictions in that conflict.

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

One would think that going on a field trip to an art museum would inspire some sort of artistic/creative feelings.

NOPE.

Because it is required to "analyze" paintings by listing off what common themes are in a painting, and being rushed through the museum itself, and seeing a solid black canvas being displayed as "art", I keep drawing blanks. I literally sit down to draw something, and I end up blank.

I'm serious about the black canvas. It wasn't a built up surface, there were no brush strokes, just a spray painted canvas. It was untitled, too.

I mean, come on. This shit doesn't even fly on the internet, how could it in the real world?

You know what rating this would get if it were submitted to the art portal?

BOLLOCKS.

Art Forum Lounge

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 07:48 PM, Felis wrote: One would think that going on a field trip to an art museum would inspire some sort of artistic/creative feelings.

It's called modern art, and it's fucking stupid.
If you ever have the chance, check out the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) in New York,
It's full of stuff like that, and it's fucking stupid.

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 08:05 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
It's called modern art, and it's fucking stupid.
If you ever have the chance, check out the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) in New York,
It's full of stuff like that, and it's fucking stupid.

I don't mean this to sound like an attack, if it does, I apologize.

Is that a blanket statement against Modern Art? I am far from an expert or scholar of artistic movements but Minamalism =/= Modern Art.

I love MoMA, not everything they display lights my fire, but I am much more inspired by Modern through contemporary art than I ever was with what came before. The period of Modern Art forward just makes my mind explode with imagination and creativity; ANYTHING is possible now. If it wasn't for the groundbreaking work done by modernists, opening up art to include so much more than what we previously thought of as art I hate to think where we would be artwise.

I

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:47 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 08:43 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Is that a blanket statement against Modern Art? I am far from an expert or scholar of artistic movements but Minamalism =/= Modern Art.

Possibly, but that's because when I hear modern art I think of shit like 3 mirrors forming a corner with seashells in the corner, or a plain blue square, or a block of wood with a styrofoam cup nailed to it. In that sense, I think it's stupid and doesn't deserve to be even remotely as highly regarded as they are.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

Okay, so I just went to the MoMA website. Not impressed. Its not that I don't like modern art its just that I find a lot of it just to be splatters all over a canvas. There is this one statue on there that is just two right angles, and another one that appears to be plastic and bedsheets, I'm just not impressed with it.
Its cool when it is just like an explosion of color but when it is stuff like a crap glob of clay or a canvas spray painted black, it's just not art.
Modern architecture though, that is a different story, it is amazing and the things that can be possible with theses structures is just unbelievable.
I think this is in Japan. And here is a convention center in Tokyo.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

I'm gonna stick up for Modern Art here a little.

1) Duchamp and his ilk what most people consider "bullshit" art. IE Hanging toilets, and blank canvases, and even indicating empty space as art.

Yes on some level it is complete bullshit. I'm personally unmoved by this particular vein of art it and think it spawns a lot of lazy thinking. But I would defend to the death the idea it forwards. No one can say what is or isn't art. What has or hasn't got value. These guys are the punk rock of the art world. Maybe that's not right. They are the first industrial musicians of the art world. They are Throbbing Gristle. Without their expansion of the conception of art other artists wouldn't be freed to play around in ways you or I might consider more legitimate. Without their noise we wouldn't have Nine Inch Nails, Aphex Twin, or Massive Attack. If you'll go with that comparison. And even if you can't find the value in what they produced, they deserve your gratitude for expanding the vocabulary with which you express yourself.

Also, dismissing anything is bad for your brain. When you look at art that is by it's nature unintelligible you are forced to think in new ways. Opening yourself up to the possibility that the valueless has value keeps you from stagnating. If you as an artist want to be able to show the world a new idea. You have to be open to them first. If that means you look foolish or pretentious then so be it. Better to look foolish than to actually be a close minded idiot. If that means you start understanding something that used to disgust you and your peers. Good. Then you won't ever be afraid of looking.

2) Robert Motherwell, Mark Rothko, Fancis Bacon, Picasso, Louise Borgeous, etc. I love these guys. If you dismiss them as a group or as individuals you might miss out on something you really love. Something that excites you. All because you've closed your mind.

3) Non-representational art is fucking hard. If you don't think so give it a try. Try to find a new way to make an image that doesn't rely on your interpretation of something real or imagined. It's pure composition, and the shit's hard to do well. I personally suck at it.

CHALLENGE

Find a non-representational artist you enjoy. Or try your hand at finding a new way to make art in a non-representational way. You might get a new appreciation for it.

END RANT ... probably
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 09:31 PM Reply

I actually don't mind Modern Art - people expressing creativity in the most unusual ways that they can think of, but no, it doesn't belong on the Art Portal. All the same, it really is an enjoyable experience to stroll about in the air-conditioning observing different art forms, and I wouldn't mind that (although I wouldn't expect to be inspired by it - creativity and respect =/= inspiration and admiration).

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 10:24 PM Reply

Completely off topic here, but there is a new Jonny face. It's the polar opposite of Aweso Jonny.
I call it "Creepy Jonny"

Art Forum Lounge

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 11/11/10 10:24 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Completely off topic here, but there is a new Jonny face. It's the polar opposite of Aweso Jonny.
I call it "Creepy Jonny"

Speaking of Art and creepy segues, The return of PMotW!!
Yes it's a day early. And yes it's a shameless plug.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 11th, 2010 @ 11:24 PM Reply

Since we keep bouncing off topic. Am I the only on who lol'd really, really hard at the return of this stupidity?
Its probably just me though considering my last run in with him

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 04:46 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 08:53 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: Okay, so I just went to the MoMA website. Not impressed. Its not that I don't like modern art its just that I find a lot of it just to be splatters all over a canvas. There is this one statue on there that is just two right angles, and another one that appears to be plastic and bedsheets, I'm just not impressed with it. Its cool when it is just like an explosion of color but when it is stuff like a crap glob of clay or a canvas spray painted black, it's just not art.

A; you are to lazy to actually take the effort to appreciate art for anything deeper than simple esthetics
B: who are you to decide what is or isnt art.
(I am on the lines of BMK and Occluded; I think you are underappreciating any piece of art if you just look at the esthetic aspect, even traditional stuff)

Modern architecture though, that is a different story, it is amazing and the things that can be possible with theses structures is just unbelievable.
I think this is in Japan. And here is a convention center in Tokyo.

Dont particularly like those two, but I love practically everything by Rem Koolhaas and Daniel Libeskind

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 05:34 AM Reply

At 11/11/10 11:24 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Since we keep bouncing off topic. Am I the only on who lol'd really, really hard at the return of this stupidity?

I don't remember the first appearance of that but that guys an idiot. "My sonic hentai character has completely perfect proportions cos I measured them using a HUMAN anatomy reference!"

some ppl just don't get it
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 06:06 AM Reply

Trolling in DA forums is awesome!

SO KAWAII DESU!!! LOLOLOLOLOOLOL

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 11/12/10 06:06 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Trolling in DA forums is awesome!
SO KAWAII DESU!!! LOLOLOLOLOOLOL

I dunno. At first I would have said that dA is the place where you shunbt all your idiotic artists, but I've spent some time there (mainly avoiding every bandwagon of generic there (anime and the like)) and I have to say there are a fair few artists who just come up with the most beautiful stuff and pose the most intelligent and fun to exercise arguments.

But yeah, most are stupid.

As for the Evil Jonny pic, NEGA-JONNY.

creepy
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 07:01 AM Reply

Yeah, DA has a lot of talent too. I don't hate it to the extent I become a troll. But I do hate the majority of dumb people there.

Hey, they're the ones who asked for a cute face. I drew them one.

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 07:41 AM Reply

rtil's Lighthouse Girl Film Contest Shiz

At 11/12/10 07:01 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Yeah, DA has a lot of talent too. But I do hate the majority of dumb people there.

There is heaps of talent at dA but the amount of crap out weighs the talent. On this one photo I said "the light doesn't work at all" and he raged and said I was jealous of his artistic abilities and for some reason the fact that no one else said the light was bad made my comment/opinion null. I lol'd.

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 08:03 AM Reply

Modern art.

All I got to say about it are angry swear words of the worst kind. Fuck you, Modern art. Fuckiddy fuck fucker sonofabitch twathole arschloch. You suck. You are lame. You are a twat of the worst kind.
Calling yourself "modern" and thus taking away the opportunity for future generations to use the word is arrogance and bastardness beyond comprehension. For that, I hate you, "Modern" art.

As for other aspects, I feel quite meh. Some might like it, but I look at it with apathy and move on.

On a side note - goddamnit Mabelma, don't spam others with your blog. You've posted the link enough for everyone to see and the lack of interest should have been clear already.

BBS Signature