New Topic Respond to this Topic
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 05:40:32 Reply

DarkShadow8181 has started an ms paint adventure style web comic thing and it's looking pretty cool. [LINK]

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 06:46:06 Reply

At 11/7/10 10:57 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Sherlock / Modern Translations of Classics
I think it works, but I am a lifelong fan of Sherlock Holmes and may be biased.

... I thought it would be the other way round?
I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, but to me it's something quintessentially Victorian, and shouldn't be put into modern times.

Benedict Cumberbatch is great as Sherlock, but Martin Freeman is playing a "Martin Freeman character" rather than Dr. Watson. I've only seen the first two episodes, which always start off great, but the plots suddenly lose control and slide into stupid at the finale.

I always have this problem with mock Sherlock Holme's writing where they give him a super-power of observation, and some of the stuff he's deduced are totally unbelievable. I remember at the start of the third one where he's going on about what the's worked out from these trainers he's found ... and I spent the next morning thinking how stupid some of his points were.

... but for all I can fault it for, the series is good entertainment for Sundays, and is much, much better than that awful piece of gob-shite that is the Guy Ritchie movie.

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 17:22:24 Reply

DOOOD, how you guys doing :o

I haven't posted in here in a while, but uhh, yeah, art school I think is close to killing my interest for art. Nothing like a sack-o-C's in a drawing 1 class to demoralize someone away from anything artistic. But from the looks of it they appear to be a school with a very formal way of teaching art, but that may be my teachers, and that I am a freshman learning foundation stuff. But then again at the time I was looking for colleges, I was thinking that graphic design was a form of digital art, but I think they see graphic design in a more classical sense, or that it is more in the formal art spectrum than I thought. Ah well, graphic design doesn't look right for me anywho, might try something like animation next year or something.

Need to make sum moar computer art too, I don't think iv made anything since this summer.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 18:04:54 Reply

At 11/8/10 05:22 PM, x-factor11 wrote: DOOOD, how you guys doing :o

I haven't posted in here in a while, but uhh, yeah, art school I think is close to killing my interest for art. Nothing like a sack-o-C's in a drawing 1 class to demoralize someone away from anything artistic. But from the looks of it they appear to be a school with a very formal way of teaching art, but that may be my teachers, and that I am a freshman learning foundation stuff. But then again at the time I was looking for colleges, I was thinking that graphic design was a form of digital art, but I think they see graphic design in a more classical sense, or that it is more in the formal art spectrum than I thought. Ah well, graphic design doesn't look right for me anywho, might try something like animation next year or something.

Too bad it isnt really working for you, although itll probably get better. A lot of studies have this deconstruct-reconstruct approach where you have to start at the absolute basics before getting to the good stuff... Graphic design is a very weird artform at the moment I think... the thing is, if a company wants an artistic graphic designer, theyll just hire an artist rather than a graphic designer (at least thats the idea Im getting) which keeps graphic design at a non-artistic level...

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 19:03:48 Reply

At 11/8/10 06:04 PM, J-qb wrote: Too bad it isnt really working for you, although itll probably get better. A lot of studies have this deconstruct-reconstruct approach where you have to start at the absolute basics before getting to the good stuff... Graphic design is a very weird artform at the moment I think... the thing is, if a company wants an artistic graphic designer, theyll just hire an artist rather than a graphic designer (at least thats the idea Im getting) which keeps graphic design at a non-artistic level...

from what iv seen it sort of looks like a demented form of modern art and architecture, where it's based around good composition and measuring over anything else. But I think I was looking for more of the storytelling part of art, which fits animation more I think. But graphic design sort of looked like it had animation as part of it, but thats motion graphic design.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 19:28:16 Reply

At 11/8/10 07:03 PM, x-factor11 wrote:

from what iv seen it sort of looks like a demented form of modern art and architecture, where it's based around good composition and measuring over anything else. But I think I was looking for more of the storytelling part of art, which fits animation more I think. But graphic design sort of looked like it had animation as part of it, but thats motion graphic design.

My older brother is a graphic designer, and it seems to me that your idea of what "graphic design" is was notably off the mark.
It's not about artistic expression, it's about making things look good. Graphic designers do things like design websites, and plan layouts; hence "design" and not "art". Companies use graphic designers for the very reason to make things look good, not for expressive purposes.
ie: Newgrounds; the layout and color schemes, along with the fonts and textures that make up the site, are all forms of graphic design. Making all that information fit on the front page in an ergonomic, yet aesthetically pleasing manner is graphic design. There isn't much artistry that goes into it, but really good design still takes skill, of course.

I think you may want to do some research and reconsider what you want to major in, since you seem to have been taken by a misunderstanding. Good luck man, and I hope you regain your focus in art.

God, I need to stop using walls of text.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 19:41:59 Reply

At 11/8/10 07:28 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
My older brother is a graphic designer, and it seems to me that your idea of what "graphic design" is was notably off the mark.
It's not about artistic expression, it's about making things look good. Graphic designers do things like design websites, and plan layouts; hence "design" and not "art". Companies use graphic designers for the very reason to make things look good, not for expressive purposes.
ie: Newgrounds; the layout and color schemes, along with the fonts and textures that make up the site, are all forms of graphic design. Making all that information fit on the front page in an ergonomic, yet aesthetically pleasing manner is graphic design. There isn't much artistry that goes into it, but really good design still takes skill, of course.

I think you may want to do some research and reconsider what you want to major in, since you seem to have been taken by a misunderstanding. Good luck man, and I hope you regain your focus in art.

that's the plan for now, but I probably should of caught on that a while ago. Ah well, there is probably a major around that is both computer and artistically bound, or at least requires creativity, so I might check out like interactive media or even some kind of programming or something. But I think I have a better idea of what I want to do.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 20:01:25 Reply

At 11/8/10 05:22 PM, x-factor11 wrote: DOOOD, how you guys doing :o

Need to make sum moar computer art too, I don't think iv made anything since this summer.

Posts like these that make me glad that I never really did Art - even as a freshman, was totally getting a bunch of Cs (not due to the art itself, but it's still a buzzkill). Sorry that it's not really working out for yah, and I wish the best of luck to you, but you shouldn't really let it get down on your artistic motivation - learned a king time ago that they mark you on relevance to topic, not quality of art/writing/whatevs.

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 20:19:38 Reply

that's the plan for now, but I probably should of caught on that a while ago. Ah well, there is probably a major around that is both computer and artistically bound, or at least requires creativity, so I might check out like interactive media or even some kind of programming or something. But I think I have a better idea of what I want to do.

May I recommend Game Art, it includes mediums such as character art an environmental art, it is what I am currently looking at doing. You may also want to check out about conceptual art for things such as movies/games.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-08 20:32:49 Reply

At 11/8/10 08:19 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: May I recommend Game Art, it includes mediums such as character art an environmental art, it is what I am currently looking at doing. You may also want to check out about conceptual art for things such as movies/games.

sounds good, might look into that, gotta look around to see what other stuff their is though.

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 08:56:37 Reply

Anyone fancy drawing the internet?

Can you draw the internet?

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 11:08:40 Reply

At 11/9/10 08:56 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Anyone fancy drawing the internet?

seems like a lot of work :P

I mean, we ARE talking the ENTIRE internet here.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 13:22:05 Reply

At 11/9/10 11:08 AM, Chronamut wrote:

I dont think you are required to take a photorealistic approach
I really like the gist of this; reminds me of the creaturing art project in the collaboration forum.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 13:24:55 Reply

At 11/9/10 11:08 AM, Chronamut wrote:

seems like a lot of work :P

Pfft, it's just a series of tubes, no problem.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 20:11:13 Reply

For those of you who know me. I hate my job. It sucks, and the hours are horrendous. I just got offered a job at Apple Retail. Huge pay cut, but great benefits. And key here: I won't loathe every soul destroying second of it. Just letting you all know I should be able to start actually participating here again. Yay job I don't hate with every fiber of my being!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 20:52:23 Reply

At 11/9/10 08:11 PM, Occluded wrote: For those of you who know me. I hate my job. It sucks, and the hours are horrendous. I just got offered a job at Apple Retail. Huge pay cut, but great benefits. And key here: I won't loathe every soul destroying second of it. Just letting you all know I should be able to start actually participating here again. Yay job I don't hate with every fiber of my being!

Hooray man, congrats. Honestly, even if the pay is worse, I think it's better to do a job you like than one you don't. Cause hating your life just isn't worth the extra money.

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-09 21:38:43 Reply

Had an airsoft war last weekend. First time, did pretty well.

I found out how undisciplined people can be, even when death isn't involved. Sure, an airsoft BB hurts, but as long as you're spraying them out at whoever's shooting you, it's worth it.

So me and a couple of people are holed up in a mock building; three stories, made up of stacked transportation containers. They ascend sort of like steps, except the only entrance is a set of stairs on the outside that goes to the second floor.

So we set up a great defense. I take the wooden covers off of the windows to use as cover, my friend opens a door behind some stairs and positions himself to shoot in between the stairs as the enemy comes in.

Then some dipshit on our team who was supposed to be with somebody else chickened out on his partner and pretty much just bitched at us.

I patrol around, continually reminding my way to tensed partner that he's covering the only way in, and they'll have to open the loud as fuck steel door to get in.

Once, I go outside, and see the enemy team stacked up on the stairs. I have a pissy ass single shot shotgun with an improvised magazine (Really fast shot velocity, though), so I take a shot and go back.

Of course, right when they're right where we can get them, Dipshit McPussy convinced my nervous partner to come up to the third floor, abandoning the perfect position he had. Other guys burst through the door, and we hole up on the third floor until we surrender. Fuck.

Of course, in another game, I kidnapped a person and used them as a human shield, since I didn't have a machine gun like half the people out there. Dipshit happens to be the guy behind the guy I nabbed, so when he's telling me to let him go, I pump my shotgun and give him a BB in the belly, and then ran my ass off. It felt so good.

So yeah.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 00:10:47 Reply

Happy birthday LegolaSS

Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 00:12:36 Reply

HEPPY BIRSDAY LEGOLAss!

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 00:36:13 Reply

Happy B-Day Lego!

Leggo my Eggo! >.>
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 02:35:30 Reply

hBday LegolaSS!

At 11/9/10 09:38 PM, Felis wrote: Had an airsoft war last weekend. First time, did pretty well.
It felt so good.
So yeah.

lol sounds like fun.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 04:04:57 Reply

Happy B-day Legolass!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
BizarroJoe
BizarroJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 05:41:12 Reply

At 11/10/10 12:10 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Happy birthday LegolaSS

What the?! I didn't have the slightiest...!
Knowing that Lego is a sucker for hot anime babes, I've decided to get him a dakimakura (They're trendy nowadays.). BUT...
... GODDAMMIT, THIS IS NOT THE MODEL I REQUESTED.
... This is what happens for rushing in the last minute... Sorry, Lego...

Happy birthday!

Art Forum Lounge

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 06:33:13 Reply

Happy Birthday, Legolass.

At 11/10/10 05:41 AM, BizarroJoe wrote:
... GODDAMMIT, THIS IS NOT THE MODEL I REQUESTED.

Just when I thought there were lines that weren't possible to cross.

Wait, these are adult toys we're talking about. The line's I think are there never existed in the first place.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 07:54:39 Reply

Happy birthday, Lego!

At 11/10/10 05:41 AM, BizarroJoe wrote: ... This is what happens for rushing in the last minute... Sorry, Lego...

I don't think that anyone is going to complain about it too loudly, anyway. And I don't even know what it is.

At 11/9/10 09:38 PM, Felis wrote: Had an airsoft war last weekend. First time, did pretty well.

Airsoft is banned in Australia. Hell knows why (well, there are excuses, but they suck).

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 08:02:59 Reply

Have a great B-Day Lego!

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 08:39:48 Reply

At 11/10/10 07:54 AM, Lintire wrote:
Airsoft is banned in Australia. Hell knows why (well, there are excuses, but they suck).

That's possibly why I didn't know what it is, but I managed to work out what it was based on the story.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 09:55:55 Reply

Hoppy Balls day Luggerlass

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 10:19:28 Reply

Happy Birthday, Lego!

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-10 10:24:03 Reply

Congrats on the age level up Lego....

I think I have been playing too much RPG's lately.... o.o'....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature