ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 04:47 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 03:54 PM, J-qb wrote:
REPEATEDLY posting in a thread that you KNOW breaks the rules is BREAKING THE RULES!

...is that more clear?

I kinda remember that in a previous discussion on this topic it was stated that if we could answer someones question we should do that rather than just redirect them to the rules (and/or appropriate thread). Likewise I remember some mods expressing that they thought it would be okay if regulars redirected poeple to the rules as long as they hadnt already been mentioned.

Yeah, posting with an answer, directing to the rules and POLITELY pointing out the OP's 'error' is fine... for ONE person. We don't need 12 replies saying the same thing. Then a mod can come along and lock it without having to bump it. But there's a difference between backseat modding and legitimately trying to help. If you're not sure if what you're about to post crosses that line... then play it safe and don't post.

Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

well just asking a question off topic from whatever you guys are talking about....
Am i the only one here sad to notice how neglected some artists are of critiqe in the art bbbs?
I just find a bit rediculous that there will be a artist deserving some advice on his/her work when there are ten people logged in and they get nothing.
all that really happens on the art forum now is all of us sitting on stickam completely ignoring the forum.
dont get me wrong there are people who often give advice often but there are some users who will be here all day and will only give critiqe to their favorite artists or their little internet ass buddies thread.
i dont post all that often but i actually only need my thread to store my shit so i dont mind lack of attention.....

anyways, happy halloween guys =]

Art Forum Lounge

Celestica

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 07:53 PM Reply

just noticed all the spelling errors i made....shit

Celestica

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 07:48 PM, Zombie-Eskimo wrote: Am i the only one here sad to notice how neglected some artists are of critiqe in the art bbbs?

Oh, we've discussed this many a time.
Personally, I only post if
a) I'm really blown away by their artwork
b) They have obvious flaws which I'm trying to help them with

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:09 PM Reply

this has been brought up so many times but oh well, most of the regs do critique, not in the proper sense but critiques none the less, nothing you can really do about it apart from give good critiques yourself and hope people follow the example

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:13 PM Reply

I agree, Zombie. It really sucks to not get any kind of reaction to your art, and we neglect too many artists despite this. I try to be helpful, but sometimes it's hard to know how exactly to react to some people's art. I think the worst part is that some people really want critique and tips to get better, but don't get those things, while people who don't really make an effort and anti-critique trolls get attention for doing/being those things. Our priorities seem backwards, to me.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Critique in the Art Forum

I suppose I don't critique as often as I should and I don't tend to follow every thread. I do try to critique new posters to the forum and get them started on the right track to the best of my ability and knowledge if they need it. The long time posters I tend to critique much less, I guess I figure regs usually know what they're doing and how to get better.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:22 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: The long time posters I tend to critique much less, I guess I figure regs usually know what they're doing and how to get better.

Regs need love too.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 04:47 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 10/31/10 03:54 PM, J-qb wrote:
REPEATEDLY posting in a thread that you KNOW breaks the rules is BREAKING THE RULES!
...is that more clear?

So I was right the whole time about that other thread? But I still broke the rules. Sorry Nae.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:22 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Critique in the Art Forum

I suppose I don't critique as often as I should and I don't tend to follow every thread. I do try to critique new posters to the forum and get them started on the right track to the best of my ability and knowledge if they need it. The long time posters I tend to critique much less, I guess I figure regs usually know what they're doing and how to get better.

If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:39 PM Reply

Critiquing in the art lounge - well, I suppose I critique in quite a few places. Mostly I'm either critiquing here, or I'm over at ConceptArt.Org giving them a few helpful hints, but either I drop at least 5 critiques a day (ranging from broad ideas to indepth details). I do incredibly, infinitely prefer critiquing in the more relaxed atmosphere of a forum to the review system, mostly because a good deal of my reviews get marked useless for giving soemone a low score (and after you see a certain amount of fantastic art, your idea of what should really get a 10 is put in place).

In short... idk lol.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:39 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote:

If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

Oo, that sounds like I'm being mean to the art forum.
I mean I would have stopped posting MY ART here a while ago.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:25 PM, EJR wrote: Regs need love too.

I agree. We need crits too.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:39 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

Do I have to say the same thing to you as I do the noobs that purposely bump their threads without pictures and something along the lines of "Nobody wants to comment?".
Post art for the sake of posting art, and sharing it with others. Just because we don't comment, doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. Hell, if I posted every time I liked something, most of my post history would consist of that.
You'll get critiques, but you're not gonna get them on every single thing you submit. Just have patience and you'll get reviews.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 08:55 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:46 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:39 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.
Do I have to say the same thing to you as I do the noobs that purposely bump their threads without pictures and something along the lines of "Nobody wants to comment?".
Post art for the sake of posting art, and sharing it with others. Just because we don't comment, doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. Hell, if I posted every time I liked something, most of my post history would consist of that.
You'll get critiques, but you're not gonna get them on every single thing you submit. Just have patience and you'll get reviews.

See, the difference there is that when I don't get critique, my art thread sinks away. I'm not begging people for attention and feedback. Feedback's the reason I post my art, but I'm not going to get upset when I don't get it because it's not like I react to every single piece of art I see anyways. I don't post my art solely for the sake of showing people art because I don't want people to enjoy my art, as I don't feel it's good enough to enjoy. I post it because I want to use it to get to a point where people can enjoy it. I want to improve. Some help to that end would be great, and I do get some. Enough to the point where I keep posting, anyways.
The only reason I bring it up now is because it's relevant, not because I'm whining. I don't agree that you shouldn't respond to regs, because some of us are still posting our art for the same reasons we were when we first came here.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 08:55 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Response

Yeah, I hear ya man. Although personally, now, when I post art, I just post it because I wanna post it

that is when I DO art

Also I never said don't critique regs :P
I critique evenly I'd say, between regs and newcomers.

When it comes to YOUR art specifically, I've always wanted to post, but I don't know what to say. You've got a really funky style, but I don't know if there's really any pointers or advice I can give to you.
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:08 PM Reply

I though getting no comments, but getting ton's of views on your thread is a good thing.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
I critique evenly I'd say, between regs and newcomers.
When it comes to YOUR art specifically, I've always wanted to post, but I don't know what to say. You've got a really funky style, but I don't know if there's really any pointers or advice I can give to you.

I agree, newcomers need a lot of love. I remember being new; it feels kind of awkward, since all the regs seem to know eachother already. Despite that, those of us who are already established still need some love, too.
And that's fine about my art. Like I said, it can be tough to know how to react to some art. I think I need to start doing some more realistic stuff, because my stylized stuff doesn't feel like it's helping me get better quick enough. Maybe people can better react to that.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:08 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I though getting no comments, but getting ton's of views on your thread is a good thing.

Eh, pageviews don't help you in any way. All they say is that people look, nothing else. They don't even tell you if people like your stuff or not.

Another reason I dislike DeviantART: there's so much focus on pageviews.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:11 PM, Luxembourg wrote: And that's fine about my art. Like I said, it can be tough to know how to react to some art. I think I need to start doing some more realistic stuff, because my stylized stuff doesn't feel like it's helping me get better quick enough. Maybe people can better react to that.

strictly naturalistic art is boring as all hell, but it's important to have a good basis in life drawing--if you're looking to improve your art, nothing is better than a good figure drawing session

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:21 PM, tmkunt wrote:

strictly naturalistic art is boring as all hell, but it's important to have a good basis in life drawing--if you're looking to improve your art, nothing is better than a good figure drawing session

That's why I've avoided it. It bores me. I can endure that, though, if it helps out.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:28 PM Reply

oh no no dude, what I mean is that the art that results is boring, but actually drawing all of the beautiful contours of the human body and playing around with value is always fun :]
(in my mind anyway haha)

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 10/31/10 09:28 PM, tmkunt wrote: oh no no dude, what I mean is that the art that results is boring, but actually drawing all of the beautiful contours of the human body and playing around with value is always fun :]
(in my mind anyway haha)

I don't mind the actual drawing part too much, but making myself get into one always feels difficult for me. The reason being that drawing feels weird to me if I'm not using my imagination in some way. Some of my other work I end up disliking for the very reason that I didn't feel like I used any imagination for them (like this one.)
When I'm not using my imagination, I don't feel like I'm making art.
I do think, however, that I could mix the two parts. Making a realistic drawing and then adding some surrealistic touches could do as much to aid improvement as just making a realistic drawing, couldn't it?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 31st, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

You know, speaking of things that are boring but absolutely, or at least sort of, necessary...

I don't have instances where I'm drawing and don't like it, so this isn't about drawing.

I'm writing a novel. One who has taken any instruction in how to write essays or fiction knows that an outline is necessary. It gets thoughts together so that the ideas are confirmed and completed so you aren't making up shit on the spot so much.

I will tell you right now, writing a novel, that I hated writing the outline, mostly because I knew I was going to change things. It did, however, get my story together, and I would agree it was necessary.

Oh wait, this is the art lounge.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 01:43 PM Reply

Broccoli

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 02:00 PM Reply

art block sucks, wanting to draw, knowing i should be drawing, but just not being able to bring myself to make that first mark on the paper, if i could get myself to start something id be able to follow it through to the end, iv got sketches lying around everywhere but no motivation to finish any of them, oh help me someone

critiqueing (spelling?)

i only critique in detail where i feel something really needs to be said, that means not critiqueing as much as i really should, i dont like just focusing on positives or negatives, i like to give balanced reviews, so if i cant do that, i generally dont bother, bad habit but just leaving comments like "this is great" annoy me, theyre not helpful, just an ego boost, sure if you tell em whats good about it, they can focus on that and replicate it, but yeah, if i cant do a good crit i wont bother

Daverom
Daverom
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 03:07 PM Reply

I've been in the absolutely biggest art funk for like...a week, I can't think of anything, I can't motivate myself to do anything
this sucks

tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 03:13 PM Reply

when I'm not feeling the urge to draw I usually get drunk or jerk off to get those creative juices flowin

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 11/1/10 03:07 PM, M-Vero wrote: I've been in the absolutely biggest art funk for like...a week, I can't think of anything, I can't motivate myself to do anything
this sucks

this
only a month

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Nov. 1st, 2010 @ 03:38 PM Reply

At 11/1/10 03:16 PM, Havegum wrote: this
only a month

since madness day for me, i havent got anything done :( college work is more important and takes up most of my time and energy i guess