New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

So, I saw this and one or two others featuring those characters in the art portal, and out of curiosity, looked up "Panty and Stocking".
Much to my surprise, it's a new anime by Gainax, the first since Gurren Lagann. Considering I've seen some people in this forum mention (fondly, at that) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Fooly Cooly, I thought I'd share that information. Considering how much anime art we see float by in this forum, an anime that's actually really original is something worth mention, in my opinion.

That said, I watched the first episode, and while the beginning was iffy, it grew on me by the end of the second half of the first episode. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever watched.

I kinda wanna know if anybody else has checked this out, and if so, what are their opinions?

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Nope, haven't seen it yet. But if its anything like fooly cooly or gurren lagaan, im already on the bandwagon.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 07:38 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Nope, haven't seen it yet. But if its anything like fooly cooly or gurren lagaan, im already on the bandwagon.

It's way more reminiscent of Fooly Cooly than Gurren Lagann, in that it's COMPLETELY APESHIT INSANE. Like, twice as crazy and dirty as Fooly Cooly was, if that's even possible.
The Gainax art style is still pretty evident, but they've cranked it all the way to looking extremely cartoony, which actually makes for a pretty solid art style. The animation is pretty good, too. Not perfect all the time, but it has some moments that make you go "wow, that's crazy fluid."

It's definitely not for everyone, but I figure some people in this forum are kind of crazy, so they might like it.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 09:43 PM Reply

I've never really watched any "crazy" animes, the most random I've ever seen is Claymore, and that was because there were no subtitles and I had no idea what was going on. However, I've heard of a few (with more cohesive names) like, for example, XL.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 09:43 PM, Lintire wrote: I've never really watched any "crazy" animes, the most random I've ever seen is Claymore, and that was because there were no subtitles and I had no idea what was going on. However, I've heard of a few (with more cohesive names) like, for example, XL.

If you haven't, don't watch Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It'll probably be too much for you, since you won't really understand the angle it's coming from.
I'd suggest you start with Fooly Cooly. It's great, it's only six episodes long, and it's crazy. In a good way, of course.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 10:11 PM Reply

I'm completely alright with crazy, I just like to know what everyone is actually saying. However, I'll go ahead and check out those animes - always in the mood for another one and my attention span never really last longer then a season or two anyway, so six episodes is perfect.

AwesomeSaurus
AwesomeSaurus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 12:48 AM Reply

Happy B-day jonny!!

just because you don't like vanilla doesn't mean you destroy the cake!

Art Forum Lounge

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Happy Birthday Jonny!!

I didn't draw anything for you, but you're getting my 5,000 post! Which is WAY more special!! lol ;P
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 01:01 AM Reply

Aww shucks guys, I feel so loved.
Highway even made me a birthday thread in general.

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 10/13/10 01:01 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Aww shucks guys, I feel so loved.
Highway even made me a birthday thread in general.

Happy Birfday you sexy bith!

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:33 AM Reply

At 10/13/10 12:56 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Happy Birthday Jonny!!

I didn't draw anything for you, but you're getting my 5,000 post! Which is WAY more special!! lol ;P

Forget about a 5,000th post, you're getting my 8,639th post, Jonny! Happy birthday!

...and an animated draing in the other thread! =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM Reply

First off, happy birthday jonny!
Related to that, photoshop had crashed on me once more, and that reminded me why i hate the software so much. So, i want to try out corel's software. Ive heard good things about it, and i would download a trial, but i've already used it about a month ago, for what reason, i can't remember. Anyway, I would just like to know a bit about it; does it crash often, how does it handle the things photoshop can? Ie, blending colors, color selection, simplicity, etc.
Thanks ;)

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:55 PM Reply

its not the software, its that your computer cant handle it, photoshop never crashes for me, so its your computer, and corel wouldnt work much better, as that programs just as big, if not bigger with all the stuff its got in it

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 10/13/10 06:45 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: corel's software

...just seeing the name made me throw up a little in my mouth.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 10/13/10 06:58 PM, Nae wrote:
At 10/13/10 06:45 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: corel's software
...just seeing the name made me throw up a little in my mouth.

You should elaborate as to why you hate it. Seriously, just saying "I think it sucks" isn't answering his question.
I work just about exclusively in Corel Painter, and, personally, I like it FAR more than Photoshop.
I think it's waaaaay more user-friendly, and it's much easier to navigate a work of art in the program. The various types of brushes and the fact that they imitate real paint adds a certain special aspect to working in the program, and you can get some interesting effects, textures, and color behaviors out of it. Figuring out which brushes work for what and which are difficult to properly use can be a bit difficult, and a lot of the technical abilities are more limited than photoshop's. That is especially evident in the lack of image editing capabilities. Corel doesn't compare to Photoshop in that aspect; there are no filters, no custom effects, or anything of that sort.

So it comes down to preference and artistic goals. User friendly, paint-imitating software that doesn't do a whole lot in the way of technical capabilities but offers a different manner of drawing, or a difficult to use but capable-of-nearly-anything image editing/drawing program.

Bear in mind, this is a bit biased. I've been pretty outspoken before about how much I despise photoshop. Corel painter works great for me, though, and I don't intend to switch away from it any time soon.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 08:05 PM Reply

I feel like an ass now, because there's one important thing I forgot to mention: I'm working in Corel Painter Essentials, which is a simpler version of Corel Painter. I intend to switch to the full version soon, but bear that in mind with my argument. There are a lot of features that I don't have and the setup is slightly different (though I don't entirely know how), so I'm not giving the entire synopsis of the program because I don't have the entire program.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 14th, 2010 @ 07:45 AM Reply

Nevertheless, it's simply a matter of taste in the program. What program you use will affect the quality of your image, that's dependent on your skill with the program. Photoshop can do anything that any other program can do, seriously, it's as good for painting as it is for altering, and for someone like me who's been using it for nigh on years (seriously, my art program chain was a straight shot from MS Paint to Photoshop) the thought of parting with it is unbearable, and I'm sure that there are many other artists like that.

You can't really say that one program is better then another, you can simply say that you're better at using one program then another. And that's coming from someone who's a die-hard PS enthusiast who spent years laughing at Gimp (and I still am, I suppose). Corel Painting is not suited to altering images, it is suited to painting. So if you want to take the time to learn the program, then by all means go ahead, I'm sure you'll produce a few great pictures. Just don't go using it for anything other then that, because it's not designed for that. I won't begrudge anyone their choice in program, or their choice to roam around testing new ones.

But learn it quickly. It took ages for me to unlearn enough stuff from PS CS2 to be able to use PS Essentials, dammit.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 12:05 PM Reply

So guys. My friend wanted me to call him last week about some sort of painting thing he wants me to do. Like some sort of mural at some place. I still have not called him because I forgot, but I'll do it later. How do I paint?

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 10/16/10 12:05 PM, EJR wrote: So guys. My friend wanted me to call him last week about some sort of painting thing he wants me to do. Like some sort of mural at some place. I still have not called him because I forgot, but I'll do it later. How do I paint?

I don't know why, but I felt the urge to make this after reading that.

Art Forum Lounge

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 03:39 PM Reply

At 10/16/10 12:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I don't know why, but I felt the urge to make this after reading that.

That was extremely unhelpful.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 10/16/10 03:39 PM, EJR wrote: That was extremely unhelpful.

Actually, it was extremely helpful! You need paint and a brush... and spider man for those high, hard to reach places.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 03:57 PM Reply

At 10/16/10 12:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
I don't know why, but I felt the urge to make this after reading that.

For some reason I laughed.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 16th, 2010 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Well, yeah, Jonny's pic really does point out a lot in the ancient ways of the painting. Although I don't really know how this will really translate into murals, I can link you into a few sites. Such as the basics or or a few tips and tricks but mostly I'm going to have to recommend this site right here.

BizarroJoe
BizarroJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 06:50 AM Reply

Hey blokes.
Have you seen the User of the Day today?
Don't you think we should, like, sing her a song or something like that?

Just saying.

Art Forum Lounge

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 06:54 AM Reply

At 10/17/10 06:50 AM, BizarroJoe wrote: Hey blokes.
Have you seen the User of the Day today?
Don't you think we should, like, sing her a song or something like that?
Just saying.

I saw that being announced in General like 4 hours ago. I should really be ashamed of myself for not bringing it over here or anything. I guess that singing a song isn't such a bad idea, if anyone would actually sing it. There should be like, an official song for people who matter and net UotD.

I'm lost for ideas

Happy UotD, Ranaenae.

oninja
oninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 06:59 AM Reply

Hello too all you newgrounds artists. my name is Matt Oninski. i am a student enrolled in the gaming art and animation program and Madison Media Institute. for one of our classes we were asked to interview an artist. so i came to these forums today hoping to have those questions answered. Note: i will only take serious answers, comedy fine with me, but please work it into your actual answers.

1. What school(s) did you attend? where? what was your major at first? did it change? why did it change?

2. Have you applied other places before you got involved in the newgrounds community? what were those places?

3. What is some of your work? if you want to leave a link please so i can see some of your fantastic work please do.(IT IS YOUR WORK I WILL NEVER RELEASE IT UNDER MY NAME NOR WILL I EVER DO ANYTHING WITH IT EXCEPT WATCH IT.) also please no adult content.

4. Is newgrounds your primary source of money?, if you make any money at all. do you make money from other sources for your independent work? or are you happy with just posting your work for no cost?

5. Is it just you doing your work or do you have a team? what do your team members do to help you?

6. What programs do you use for your work? ex. maya, photoshop/after effect, and of course art. if you would like to email me some of your art that would be nice, but again not necessary.

7. How much time do you put in your work daily? is it more like a job or just a side project?

Last Question.

8. What do you suggest to your fellow artists who are working hard on their own projects? or going through school?

if you want to email me the questions my email is [email protected]. or just PM me

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 08:37 AM Reply

At 10/13/10 12:56 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Happy Birthday Jonny!!

Sometimes I feel the same way.

Art Forum Lounge

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Congrats on the User of the day Renaenae! What does that award even do? Tell me please.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 09:53 AM Reply

At 10/17/10 09:16 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Congrats on the User of the day Renaenae! What does that award even do? Tell me please.

I believe the user is randomly selected (?????).

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 10/17/10 06:50 AM, BizarroJoe wrote: Don't you think we should, like, sing her a song or something like that?

Hey hey hey
Check out the user of the day
Hey hey hey
It's ReNaeNae

Yeah.... that's all I got.