Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 10/4/10 03:59 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 10/3/10 05:20 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: So, for those of you who have bought a Mystery Box, what amazing wonders waited for you inside?
There's a thread in general about it, more people might post what they go if you're interested.

Thats some pretty awesome shit! Not bad for $10 :D

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 01:34 PM Reply

I have a question.
How can i make an animated gif, i make an animated gif that works fine but when i upload it here it doesn't work, why??

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 01:34 PM, Peglay wrote: I have a question.
How can i make an animated gif, i make an animated gif that works fine but when i upload it here it doesn't work, why??

you cant have transparency.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 06:38 PM Reply

3hourDoublePostFTW!

So, Im going to Berlin for a few days in a week or so, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any musea/sights in the Berlin Area?

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 06:55 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 02:54 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 10/7/10 01:34 PM, Peglay wrote: I have a question.
you cant have transparency.

You can, although with an animated gif it won't work properly (Those bloody dots keep appearing, but it does retain effects of transparency) - more likely the problem you have is either that you haven't saved it properly (ie, in Photoshop Saving for Web and Devices instead of simply saving), or you've buggered up the animation itself. What program are you using to try and make your animated gifs?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 07:00 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 06:38 PM, J-qb wrote: So, Im going to Berlin for a few days in a week or so, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any musea/sights in the Berlin Area?

Take me with you!!!

Das Klo Bar!! Ranked 8th of IBT's 13 of the Weirdest Bars in the World! Ahh! Good times!!! :D

There's also the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. Equally surreal, but in a sad and somber way. So go here first... then hit the Klo!

ooh hoho! I made a funny! ...klo means toilet :P
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 11:55 PM Reply

I just got home 30 minutes ago and my package from NG has arrived. I'm planning on opening it tomorrow on stickam.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 05:23 AM Reply

Andy Warhol

I've always been vaguely aware of Andy Warhol and his impact on art. I new the basics; Campbell Soup, Butcher Knivesand Marilyn Monroe. But I didn't really know anything beyond that. I thought he was ok, but incredibly over-rated. Things change.

Over the past month, i've found myself growing to appreciate his work more and more. I like the style of Warhol's work, but more importantly, I "love" the subject matter.

This print for instance, is basically a blow up of a dollar bill. Art critics of the time attacked the work, claiming it to be crass, clumsy and consumerist. I don't think it was any of those things. I think it was a dollar bill. People projected their own connotations and understandings onto it and it was that which disgusted them. I think this was entirely deliberate by Warhol. By presenting Americans with their own culture out-with it's proper context, they felt entirely free to attack it. Americans were berating the life and blood of their value systems obliviously. Keep in mind the time frame of Warhol's work: the tail end of McCarthyism - overtly sensationalist capitalism fuelled by fear of communism and you have quit an achievement.

I think Warhol's experimentation with other medium is generally less documented but equally noteworthy. Warhol has made some of the most infamous "art cinema" to date. He also made a considerable quantity, between 1963 and 1968, he made more than 60 films

A lot of these films are just seemingly absurd. One film for instance, depicted the facial expressions of a man receiving a blow job; that was it. The film was somewhat obviously called blowjob. Another of his films, Sleep, showed poet John Giorno sleeping for six hours. Empire was eight hours of footage of the Empire State Building in New York City at dusk. Another film, Eat, consists of a man eating a mushroom for 45 minutes.

However, he also made some remarkable inivations within cinema. His most popular and critically successful film was Chelsea Girls The film was highly innovative in that it consisted of two 16 mm-films being projected simultaneously, with two different stories being shown in tandem. From the projection booth, the sound would be raised for one film to elucidate that "story" while it was lowered for the other.

I was talking with the legendary (and incredibly friendly) sound engineering expert Norman Schwarts about Warhol a few days ago. Initially he dismissed Warhol's work as trivial and frivolous. A fair judgment perhaps. However, when I told Schwarts about the techniques that Warhol used and the craftsmanship that went into his work he became slightly less dismissive. By the end of the conversation he even seemed willing to acknowledge that perhaps Warhol had made some valuable contributions to the film industry.

I'm going to travel to Abu Dhabi this weekend to see some of Warhol's work currently being exhibited in a gallery.

Questions
1] What are your thoughts on Andy Warhol?
2] What effect (if any) do you think he has had within the art world?
3] Do you think there was any value in his subject matter?
4] To what extent do you think Warhol continues to influence society today? (think Lady GaGa and David Bowie)

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 08:15 AM Reply

At 10/8/10 05:23 AM, WaterShake wrote: ..However, when I told Schwarts about the techniques that Warhol used and the craftsmanship that went into his work he became slightly less dismissive. By the end of the conversation he even seemed willing to acknowledge that perhaps Warhol had made some valuable contributions to the film industry.

This particular section strikes me as weird because you appear to value Warholl`s work for what it represents or for the reactions it provokes (and what it shows by doing so), but then you try to convince someone of the worth of his contributions by stressing the craftmanship and technique. That seems to me a dead contradiction.

This print for instance, is basically a blow up of a dollar bill. Art critics of the time attacked the work, claiming it to be crass, clumsy and consumerist. I don't think it was any of those things.

I think you misapprehend Warhol when you say the piece wasnt consumerist. While he might very well have aimed to get exactly the reactions you describe, I also think you should acknowledge Warhol`s embrace of consumerism (or perhaps hedonism); requoting from that wiki you linked: "Everything's plastic, but I love plastic". What I think you are doing is projecting your own thoughts/apprehensions of american society (in the 60s) not unlike "those silly oblivious americans".

Personally, while I value his influence on modern art and design, I dont particularly enjoy his work. I see the worth of Warholl not so much in his single pieces, but more in the turn in the art world he was a part of (and very possibly caused), Warhol was a representation of the 60s spirit that disregarded the old "rules", and the fact that he worked with various media and had a central role in his community made him the perfect man to embody that spirit in the art world. The image we have today of modern art stems quite sharply from Warhol`s work. And indeed the circle of artists he gathered around him in the factory have ensured that his influence has spread to a great many artists, and is and will be of importance today and tomorrow.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 10/8/10 08:15 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 10/8/10 05:23 AM, WaterShake wrote: ..However, when I told Schwarts about the techniques that Warhol used and the craftsmanship that went into his work he became slightly less dismissive. By the end of the conversation he even seemed willing to acknowledge that perhaps Warhol had made some valuable contributions to the film industry.
This particular section strikes me as weird because you appear to value Warholl`s work for what it represents or for the reactions it provokes (and what it shows by doing so), but then you try to convince someone of the worth of his contributions by stressing the craftmanship and technique. That seems to me a dead contradiction.

I don't think it's a contradiction at all. The values would have to be conflicting for it to be a contradiction, they're not. I appreciate Warhol's work both for the technique and it's subject matter. Although I do find the subject matter more interesting.

However, in the conversation I had with Schwarts, we were talking solely about Warhol's film career. I'd already expressed my thoughts on the subject matter of Warhol's films and the value that I think they held, but Schwarts rejected any of this, claiming that they were superficial. Thus, I decided to approach the conversation from a different angle, and talked about Warhol's technique.

Furthermore, I find the techniques he used in film more interesting than those he used in print.

This print for instance, is basically a blow up of a dollar bill. Art critics of the time attacked the work, claiming it to be crass, clumsy and consumerist. I don't think it was any of those things.
I think you misapprehend Warhol when you say the piece wasnt consumerist.

While he might very well have aimed to get exactly the reactions you describe, I also think you should acknowledge Warhol`s embrace of consumerism (or perhaps hedonism); requoting from that wiki you linked: "Everything's plastic, but I love plastic".
I think Warhol was more fixated with fame than fortune. He depicted famous objects we see in everyday life. I agree that Warhol's work and statements do seem to advocate consumerism on a basic level. But a dollar bill is a dollar bill is dollar bill.

Another interesting quote from Warhol's wiki:

"What's great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you know that the President drinks Coca-Cola, Liz Taylor drinks Coca-Cola, and just think, you can drink Coca-Cola, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the cokes are the same and all the cokes are good. Liz Taylor knows it, the President knows it, the bum knows it, and you know it"

I also think it's worht bearing in mind that Warhol was well known for "playing dumb" with media; in any conversation about Warhol. When questioned about his work he would say "it is what it is" or "yeah ok". I sometimes think that perhaps Warhol was more of a persona an actual person. After his death, immense and immersive accounts of his work were found within his personal journals. People were understandably confused, "why would he hide this from us?"

What I think you are doing is projecting your own thoughts/apprehensions of american society (in the 60s) not unlike "those silly oblivious americans".

I think it's relatively irrefutable that modern American culture is founded upon capitalism. The same is true for most developed nations now. Once money assumes power, it's hard to usurp. Americans are not unique in this respect, I don't think them "silly" or "oblivious". I talked about Americans because his work was most famous within America and I used the word "oblivious" because I think it adequately describes his critics of the time. Read into "Americans" as you will, I don't think the word has a negative value.

Personally, while I value his influence on modern art and design, I dont particularly enjoy his work. I see the worth of Warholl not so much in his single pieces, but more in the turn in the art world he was a part of (and very possibly caused), Warhol was a representation of the 60s spirit that disregarded the old "rules", and the fact that he worked with various media and had a central role in his community made him the perfect man to embody that spirit in the art world. The image we have today of modern art stems quite sharply from Warhol`s work. And indeed the circle of artists he gathered around him in the factory have ensured that his influence has spread to a great many artists, and is and will be of importance today and tomorrow.

I agree with this in-toto. I think the culture of Warhol was equally if not more so influential than his actual work. If Warhol's work were to be produced today, in the current art world. I don't think the impact would have been nearly as dramatic or controversial.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 02:33 PM Reply

My mystery box is the Taiwan package.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 09:48 PM Reply

Hey guys! May I ask what you are discussing? I'm too lazy reading through your long posts.

BTW, I got a Front Page! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 10/8/10 09:48 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Hey guys! May I ask what you are discussing? I'm too lazy reading through your long posts.
BTW, I got a Front Page! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

congrats! it looks awesome!
also yeah, @ above people: tl;dr.

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 10/8/10 09:55 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: congrats! it looks awesome!

Thanks Kashi! Is the forum always so serious these days?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Vousielle
Vousielle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 10:57 PM Reply

At 10/8/10 02:33 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: My mystery box is the Taiwan package.

I gots yer Taiwan package right here buddy! *clutches crotch, pelvic thrusts*

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 10/8/10 09:58 PM, Fifty-50 wrote:
At 10/8/10 09:55 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: congrats! it looks awesome!
Thanks Kashi! Is the forum always so serious these days?

What's wrong about seriousness exactly, It wouldn't be as sincere say if you were not keeping a straight face.

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 11:23 PM Reply

HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME.
I want a camera for art projects and hanging out with people and stuff.
I kind of want an SLR, but they're very expensive, and I'm just in school with no job at the moment, so 1000 to 7000 dollars is kind of out of my range.
I was looking at this one:

Here is the camera.

Is this a generally good choice for the cost? Anyone else have this/something like it?

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 9th, 2010 @ 12:36 AM Reply

At 10/8/10 10:57 PM, Vousielle wrote:
At 10/8/10 02:33 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: My mystery box is the Taiwan package.
I gots yer Taiwan package right here buddy! *clutches crotch, pelvic thrusts*

Hold it for me mate.
My birthday is coming up soon ;)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 11:55 AM Reply

Wow, the lounge has been stale for over 2 days....

Also,
HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING!!!!

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 12:26 PM Reply

level +1, stat whore impulses are kicking in

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 01:47 PM Reply

How do you remove people's review from artworks? If you look at my page art and view the comments I got on my "Mickey vs Me" fanart. You'll see unhelpful, very negative reviews. I know they can be removed since, mine have from others art and flashes.

I truly believe these guys just spammed my art with 0s till I was unscouted. Now I know my artwork is definitely not the greatest, but I think it's unfair that people can do that. Or is there a way to block these people so they can't review and 0 spam me off the boards again if I get rescouted.

I didn't know where to post this.

TheDCFoxCrew
TheDCFoxCrew
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

is anyone good at drawing some pretty cool stick figures?? if so hit me up

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 02:11 PM, TheDCFoxCrew wrote: is anyone good at drawing some pretty cool stick figures?? if so hit me up

you have a thread, no need to spam it everywhere, if you must post everywhere, try here

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:01 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 11:55 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Wow, the lounge has been stale for over 2 days....

Also,
HAPPY CANADIAN THANKSGIVING!!!!

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Johnny! How would I celebrate this day if I was canadian? Tell me...

Also Ash, can you draw me a stick figure, pleez? Or can you explain to me? Are the legs attached to the head or the other way around? :P

At 10/11/10 01:47 PM, Ryajin-Geki wrote: How do you remove people's review from artworks?

You can't remove them yourself. If they are abusive you can flag them and if enough users flag them, they may get removed. You can not stop them from reviewing further submissions though.

BBS Signature
LauriJ
LauriJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:14 PM Reply

I have a great art contest in mind. It is called Draw This Newgrounds and all that you have to do is to draw something according to a specific theme that changes weekly. Every Saturday, I will review the submitted drawings and the one that impresses me the most is the winner and when Sunday rolls around, you can suggest me ideas for the next weeks theme. All that you need to remember is to put in the Draw This logo in the bottom, followed by the date of creation in Month-Day-Year format and your user name.

When creating the thumbnail of your drawing, remember to crop the image so that it shows the Draw This logo in the thumbnail. Here is an image of what the logo looks like. Because it is a rough sketch, it might look different to what you see here in the actual submissions.

Art Forum Lounge

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 01:47 PM, Ryajin-Geki wrote: I didn't know where to post this.

That's because we don't encourage people to post this stuff in the forums. You should pm a review mod (listed in the help/faq section, ornery is your best bet). But since we're here... right now I can't delete them... need more people to flag 'em.

Not sure about your scouting situation. If it happened recently, it was probably because the person that scouted you or someone above them got cut. If it happened a while ago... it's been too long to look it up. Sorry :P

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

Maybe a bit more effort in the logo champ?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 03:14 PM, Alisbet wrote: I have a great art contest in mind.

That's brilliant! Wish I'd thought of it!

Good luck!

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:25 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 03:14 PM, Alisbet wrote: When creating the thumbnail of your drawing, remember to crop the image so that it shows the Draw This logo in the thumbnail. Here is an image of what the logo looks like. Because it is a rough sketch, it might look different to what you see here in the actual submissions.

1. what does that even say
2. also, been done

and we have the weekly contests, chows cow etc, which are voted on by the community, having one person choosing a winner may be a bit biased

LauriJ
LauriJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 03:25 PM, Ashman wrote:
At 10/11/10 03:14 PM, Alisbet wrote: When creating the thumbnail of your drawing, remember to crop the image so that it shows the Draw This logo in the thumbnail. Here is an image of what the logo looks like. Because it is a rough sketch, it might look different to what you see here in the actual submissions.
1. what does that even say
2. also, been done

and we have the weekly contests, chows cow etc, which are voted on by the community, having one person choosing a winner may be a bit biased

This is a little different than that Flood the Portal Fridays stuff. Also, I suppose I can make it so that the winner of the previous week gets the honour of choosing the next winner as well as the next theme. How does that sound?