Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 11th, 2010 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 10/11/10 11:32 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 10/11/10 10:28 PM, Ryajin-Geki wrote: Can I get some opinions on this at the moment?
This is exactly what the lounge ISN'T for... make a thread :P

At 10/11/10 11:07 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Have you guys ever gotten into a niche where you just can't draw?
Been there ...for like two years now. lol :'(

I'm sorry D: Thought threads like that weren't appreciated! God making some many mistakes!

Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 12:02 AM Reply

ive always had really bad blotches of drawers block, but recently i have found the ability to go balls to the wall with a drawing and fight off the drawers block.
and if i cant draw, i write
if i cant write, i brainstorm
if i cant brainstorm, i playdrums
and if i cant play drums....well then i just masturbate

Celestica

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 10/11/10 11:07 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Have you guys ever gotten into a niche where you just can't draw? Im kinda stuck in one right now. I try to draw something, and it just won't come out. I'll try to draw a portrait, or a still life, or anything, for that matter. Its incredibly frustrating and upsetting. How do you get out of this?

I've been stuck in that rut for the past few months.....

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 10/12/10 12:05 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:

Could make a Ninjastar part two :D or how to make an origami sword of some kind!

Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 10/12/10 12:08 AM, Ryajin-Geki wrote:
At 10/12/10 12:05 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Could make a Ninjastar part two :D or how to make an origami sword of some kind!

NONONONONO!
MUTHA FUCKIN ORAGAMI ARMOR! >:D

Celestica

BBS Signature
Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 12:13 AM Reply

You win

LauriJ
LauriJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 02:22 AM Reply

It seems that you are not that interested in my Draw This competition. I guess that I should change the rules so that mass votings will take place in Saturdays instead. How does that sound? You can start submitting art for the contest by the way with the first theme being something NG related. And remember to put in the logo in your submissions.

Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 10/12/10 02:22 AM, Alisbet wrote: It seems that you are not that interested in my Draw This competition. I guess that I should change the rules so that mass votings will take place in Saturdays instead. How does that sound? You can start submitting art for the contest by the way with the first theme being something NG related. And remember to put in the logo in your submissions.

lolwut?

Celestica

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 06:47 AM Reply

At 10/11/10 11:07 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Have you guys ever gotten into a niche where you just can't draw? Im kinda stuck in one right now. I try to draw something, and it just won't come out. I'll try to draw a portrait, or a still life, or anything, for that matter. Its incredibly frustrating and upsetting. How do you get out of this?

Never for more than one day. I might sit and try and draw something and draw blanks, but it's been a very very long time since the last time I've had a drawing block of more than a few days.
It's way more likely for me to not draw because I can't find the time to do it.

Most artists have drawing blocks, though, and personally, I think the best way to move past a lack of creativity is to calm down. When I can't come up with an idea, I usually start freaking out, because I usually have too many ideas, so not having any at all is frightening to me. If you get frustrated with the inability, calm down, and just force yourself to make something, like Lintire said. If you can just start making art again (it doesn't necessarily have to be great), you can get your groove back.
I think music helps, too, as does extensive searching for great art to act as inspiration.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 10/12/10 02:22 AM, Alisbet wrote: It seems that you are not that interested in my Draw This competition.

That's because:
1) We already have a few weekly competitions, such as CHOW and SOTW
2) This image you posted looked like shit
3) You have no street cred

Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 11:04 AM Reply

I have also been going through a mental block for the past few days. It sucks. What I tend to do some times when I have mental blocks is just doodle whatever comes to mind. Or I just do something else until I feel I can draw again.

CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 11:13 AM Reply

My thoughts on Solving Art Blocks
When you are stuck in an art block you must try something new or inspire yourself. Looking at another artists work that I admire often inspires me to try doing something in a similar way to how they have. Sometimes even just looking through my sketchbooks and seeing things I've done in the past, how I used do things and how I've improved/changed helps.

Danopus
Danopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 01:24 PM Reply

Who wants to chill out on iScribble?

I do.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature
Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 03:26 PM Reply

Is my art work really that bad? I just got unscouted again. I thought the volcano was pretty awesome. And my drawing of my cellphone is good, by what art teachers tell me. Those were the only two things I submitted before I got notified that I was unscouted.

Now I am depressed. I mean sure I am gonna keep practicing till I keep getting better. But damn what a wall to climb.

Art Forum Lounge

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 03:26 PM, Ryajin-Geki wrote: Is my art work really that bad? I just got unscouted again. I thought the volcano was pretty awesome. And my drawing of my cellphone is good, by what art teachers tell me. Those were the only two things I submitted before I got notified that I was unscouted.

Now I am depressed. I mean sure I am gonna keep practicing till I keep getting better. But damn what a wall to climb.

theres a lot worse scouted or has been scouted so i dont see whats so bad about you, if he is "that bad" a mod can pm me about it, cuz im just gunna keep scouting him cuz i feel hes good enough

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 03:26 PM, Ryajin-Geki wrote: Is my art work really that bad? I just got unscouted again. I thought the volcano was pretty awesome. And my drawing of my cellphone is good, by what art teachers tell me. Those were the only two things I submitted before I got notified that I was unscouted.

Its not bad at all, everyone gets pruned at one time or another. Its dissapointing, im sure, but really not that big of a deal. You shouldn't get too discouraged over this, try to look at it as something to improve yourself with. Thats what i do; if im not scouted yet, i obciously need to improve.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

So, I saw this and one or two others featuring those characters in the art portal, and out of curiosity, looked up "Panty and Stocking".
Much to my surprise, it's a new anime by Gainax, the first since Gurren Lagann. Considering I've seen some people in this forum mention (fondly, at that) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Fooly Cooly, I thought I'd share that information. Considering how much anime art we see float by in this forum, an anime that's actually really original is something worth mention, in my opinion.

That said, I watched the first episode, and while the beginning was iffy, it grew on me by the end of the second half of the first episode. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever watched.

I kinda wanna know if anybody else has checked this out, and if so, what are their opinions?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Nope, haven't seen it yet. But if its anything like fooly cooly or gurren lagaan, im already on the bandwagon.

look at my pictures

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 07:38 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Nope, haven't seen it yet. But if its anything like fooly cooly or gurren lagaan, im already on the bandwagon.

It's way more reminiscent of Fooly Cooly than Gurren Lagann, in that it's COMPLETELY APESHIT INSANE. Like, twice as crazy and dirty as Fooly Cooly was, if that's even possible.
The Gainax art style is still pretty evident, but they've cranked it all the way to looking extremely cartoony, which actually makes for a pretty solid art style. The animation is pretty good, too. Not perfect all the time, but it has some moments that make you go "wow, that's crazy fluid."

It's definitely not for everyone, but I figure some people in this forum are kind of crazy, so they might like it.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 09:43 PM Reply

I've never really watched any "crazy" animes, the most random I've ever seen is Claymore, and that was because there were no subtitles and I had no idea what was going on. However, I've heard of a few (with more cohesive names) like, for example, XL.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 10/12/10 09:43 PM, Lintire wrote: I've never really watched any "crazy" animes, the most random I've ever seen is Claymore, and that was because there were no subtitles and I had no idea what was going on. However, I've heard of a few (with more cohesive names) like, for example, XL.

If you haven't, don't watch Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It'll probably be too much for you, since you won't really understand the angle it's coming from.
I'd suggest you start with Fooly Cooly. It's great, it's only six episodes long, and it's crazy. In a good way, of course.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 12th, 2010 @ 10:11 PM Reply

I'm completely alright with crazy, I just like to know what everyone is actually saying. However, I'll go ahead and check out those animes - always in the mood for another one and my attention span never really last longer then a season or two anyway, so six episodes is perfect.

AwesomeSaurus
AwesomeSaurus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 12:48 AM Reply

Happy B-day jonny!!

just because you don't like vanilla doesn't mean you destroy the cake!

Art Forum Lounge

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 12:56 AM Reply

Happy Birthday Jonny!!

I didn't draw anything for you, but you're getting my 5,000 post! Which is WAY more special!! lol ;P
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 01:01 AM Reply

Aww shucks guys, I feel so loved.
Highway even made me a birthday thread in general.

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 10/13/10 01:01 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Aww shucks guys, I feel so loved.
Highway even made me a birthday thread in general.

Happy Birfday you sexy bith!

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:33 AM Reply

At 10/13/10 12:56 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Happy Birthday Jonny!!

I didn't draw anything for you, but you're getting my 5,000 post! Which is WAY more special!! lol ;P

Forget about a 5,000th post, you're getting my 8,639th post, Jonny! Happy birthday!

...and an animated draing in the other thread! =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM Reply

First off, happy birthday jonny!
Related to that, photoshop had crashed on me once more, and that reminded me why i hate the software so much. So, i want to try out corel's software. Ive heard good things about it, and i would download a trial, but i've already used it about a month ago, for what reason, i can't remember. Anyway, I would just like to know a bit about it; does it crash often, how does it handle the things photoshop can? Ie, blending colors, color selection, simplicity, etc.
Thanks ;)

look at my pictures

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:55 PM Reply

its not the software, its that your computer cant handle it, photoshop never crashes for me, so its your computer, and corel wouldnt work much better, as that programs just as big, if not bigger with all the stuff its got in it

Nae
Nae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Oct. 13th, 2010 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 10/13/10 06:45 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: corel's software

...just seeing the name made me throw up a little in my mouth.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature