New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:25 PM Reply

or how about we just post what we made this friday whether it is re-opened or not.
i say fuck the thread...we dont really need it anyways

Celestica

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:29 PM Reply

But it's hard to get a lot of people in and coordinate them. It's already hard with a thread....

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

its simple
make a picture of something that goes with the theme of "a black cat" and use that thumbnail.
nothing special
just use the theme
and you will still be alive if nae doesn't hunt you down (maybe)

Celestica

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Fuck this, I'm starting my on RAID THE PORTAL SUNDAYS!

EVERYONE TAKE THIS THUMBNAIL AND RAPE THE ART PORTAL.

LET'S GO TEAM!!111

Art Forum Lounge

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 06:40 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: LET'S GO TEAM!!111

Just kidding don't be retarded.

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:44 PM Reply

Alright, it's open once again. Feel free to discuss the flood in the flood thread.

Move along, nothing to see here.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
TehSlapHappy
TehSlapHappy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM Reply

So I dipped my penis in a bucket of paint right...

SHIT WRONG WINDOW.

continues conversation with Ben.

Sig by BlooHippoe.

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 07:42 PM Reply

You guys remember the discussion we had about performance art such as Interior Semiotics not long ago (it was the girl who smeared food on herself and masturbated in front of her art school audience)?

Yeah... check this shit out (NSFW).

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 08:27 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 07:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: You guys remember the discussion we had about performance art such as Interior Semiotics not long ago (it was the girl who smeared food on herself and masturbated in front of her art school audience)?

That's just, really fucked up.
That's not even art it just...not art.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 07:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: You guys remember the discussion we had about performance art such as Interior Semiotics not long ago (it was the girl who smeared food on herself and masturbated in front of her art school audience)?

What the hell?
There's a fairly noticeable line between insanity and art. This is the prior. She's just trying to shock people and make them uncomfortable; hell, she even said so several times in the video.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 08:35 PM, Luxembourg wrote:

What the hell?
There's a fairly noticeable line between insanity and art. This is the prior. She's just trying to shock people and make them uncomfortable; hell, she even said so several times in the video.

I hate "art" like this. I mean getting plowed in front of twenty people isn't art, neither is shoving spaghettios into yourself.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 09:00 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
I hate "art" like this. I mean getting plowed in front of twenty people isn't art, neither is shoving spaghettios into yourself.

The modern concept art is so subjective that people run off with it in a bunch of really peculiar and often ridiculous directions. Don't worry about it too much, these people are deluded and so are the people who think of it as a high form of art. The general conception of art amongst the art community is still mostly the same.

People are crazy, and when something is open to interpretation (art is very much so), people are going to be crazy with their interpretations. It's inevitable.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 09:32 PM Reply

There is a fine line between art and debauchery.

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

See I'm actually OK with that type of performance art. Its not even that shocking honestly (to me at least). She has a purpose and a goal, there is actual work thrown into it and its a performance. Is it art? In the same way that a play is art I would say yes. Its just a crazier more improvised weird play of sorts.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:29 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 07:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Yeah... check this shit out (NSFW).

Dear god.....
And people wonder why society is going to hell.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:32 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 10:27 PM, ornery wrote: See I'm actually OK with that type of performance art. Its not even that shocking honestly (to me at least). She has a purpose and a goal, there is actual work thrown into it and its a performance. Is it art? In the same way that a play is art I would say yes. Its just a crazier more improvised weird play of sorts.

oh wow. i thought you were going to rant again.
this proves that nothing can be worse than a girl shoving black spaghettios up her vag.

i really hope nothing is.
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 10:27 PM, ornery wrote: See I'm actually OK with that type of performance art. Its not even that shocking honestly (to me at least). She has a purpose and a goal, there is actual work thrown into it and its a performance. Is it art? In the same way that a play is art I would say yes. Its just a crazier more improvised weird play of sorts.

Your opinion on the matter does make sense, and I actually thought about it some after I posted; she is trying to express something here, (even if it is completely ridiculous and even if it is something not many really want to see expressed), she does inspire (usually ugly) emotion, and she does put effort into it, so it could very well be considered art.

That said, it's still certainly insanity. Not my cup of tea.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 10:33 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
Your opinion on the matter does make sense, and I actually thought about it some after I posted; she is trying to express something here, (even if it is completely ridiculous and even if it is something not many really want to see expressed), she does inspire (usually ugly) emotion, and she does put effort into it, so it could very well be considered art.

That said, it's still certainly insanity. Not my cup of tea.

Considered art? yes, but this is what makes the arts look bad to me; when people try to validate bullshit like this by saying "well, its art". It changes how people look at artists, from talented painters and writers to edgy people trying to be "new" and "different". It just annoys me, that this can be considered (technically) art.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Here are my issues (copy-pasted from what i wrote in stickam)

"she's a headstrong, arrogant bitch
who wants to incite controversy
and wants to make people feel uncomfortable
yet when people have an issue with it, she gets all defensive and rebukes them
cursing like a foul mouthed whore
no not realy that shocking in perspective
but her attitude just pisses me off"

Seriously though, she's like when a new artist comes into the forum and talks about how their god's artistic gift to man and then whenever someone offers criticism, they get all pissy and rant about how the critic is a fucking moron and doesn't know anything.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 11:09 PM Reply

"Now that I know that people are so easily shocked...." this line alone is the proof that she's lying. Nah she did not know that running around naked and molesting the crowd is shocking them. Ooooh these ignorant people who are shocked by that.

She enjoys the attention, that's about it. Most times modern art is fucked up anyway, everybody wants to be more original than those before him, instead of refining anything that has been done before. It's all just rushed.

That's called art unfortunately.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 11:38 PM Reply

Well, if her motivation is to inspire emotion of any kind, then call it art, by the same logic could I eat children in public and call it art? I'm pretty sure that these "artists" are just grabbing a shock factor, trying to gain acceptance and whatnot in the art community.

It's a pretty piss-poor example of art, but I'm going to go ahead and call it art anyway. They're trying to get through to the audience, if only in a half-baked manner. Not the sort of thing I'd recommend, though.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 04:57 AM Reply

At 9/26/10 11:09 PM, Luwano wrote: Most times modern art is fucked up anyway, everybody wants to be more original than those before him, instead of refining anything that has been done before. It's all just rushed.

Whoa there man.... thats a bit extreme dont ya think?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:25 AM Reply

At 9/26/10 07:42 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:

I dont rly like performance art, i dont even get why they call it art. Like, this one dude burned a flag and called it art, and burning national symbols is a felony so he got thrown in jail...

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 06:34 AM Reply

painting is tame; performance art can not only be beautiful, thought-provoking, etc. but it's also fantastic for generating attention--I shouldn't have to bring up examples of how provocative it can be

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 07:37 AM Reply

All I know is is that that probably isn't the preferred way to use spaghettio's.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:13 PM Reply

The Silver Scorpion - a disabled, muslim superhero.
Finally, some much needed original characters in our comic books.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:20 PM Reply

At 9/27/10 04:57 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 9/26/10 11:09 PM, Luwano wrote: Most times modern art is fucked up anyway, everybody wants to be more original than those before him, instead of refining anything that has been done before. It's all just rushed.
Whoa there man.... thats a bit extreme dont ya think?

Well maybe it's a bit extreme, but trust me many modern "directors" don't even have a plan. I witnessed them making up "meanings" afterwards more than once. Then they pretend it was all done on purpose. That's fooling the audience for me. Same goes for shocking to cover that the there is no or just a lame flat subject. *rant ends*

BBS Signature
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 9/27/10 05:13 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The Silver Scorpion - a disabled, muslim superhero.

Interesting, y'know I never thought much about the faith of super heroes before, I kind of thought they were purposefully secular (so as not to alienate readers who might not hold that particular faith). I wonder how the Silver Scorpion, having his religion in the forefront (apparently), will play out.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 9/27/10 05:22 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 9/27/10 05:13 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The Silver Scorpion - a disabled, muslim superhero.
Interesting, y'know I never thought much about the faith of super heroes before, I kind of thought they were purposefully secular (so as not to alienate readers who might not hold that particular faith). I wonder how the Silver Scorpion, having his religion in the forefront (apparently), will play out.

I can't see it doing too well in the States; there's some general dislike towards Islam here, and if the comic is very religious (it didn't really cover how big a part of this that is) people especially won't like it because it'll feel far-removed from their own beliefs and because many things that wear religion on their sleeves (no matter what religion) just end up being bad anyways. If it's only a part of the character, not the heart of the comic, it could work out.
It's not really meant solely for the states, though. It's being printed in Arabic in other countries as well.

I have to admit that it's a damned interesting idea for a superhero. Way to step out of the box, and way out of it at that.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 05:57 PM Reply

Muslim superhero has been done before and done better
The whole Muslim thing seems like it's slapped on, for the sake of being the first crippled Muslim superhero.
Honestly, I think he looks incredibly silly. That much chrome makes him look like an 80's hero reject stuck in an equally gaudy box. Seriously, imagine him flying around in that thing.
Go ahead, its hilarious.