00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,850 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:28:14

At 10/31/10 04:47 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 10/31/10 03:54 PM, J-qb wrote:
REPEATEDLY posting in a thread that you KNOW breaks the rules is BREAKING THE RULES!
...is that more clear?

So I was right the whole time about that other thread? But I still broke the rules. Sorry Nae.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:38:25

At 10/31/10 08:22 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Critique in the Art Forum

I suppose I don't critique as often as I should and I don't tend to follow every thread. I do try to critique new posters to the forum and get them started on the right track to the best of my ability and knowledge if they need it. The long time posters I tend to critique much less, I guess I figure regs usually know what they're doing and how to get better.

If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:39:38

Critiquing in the art lounge - well, I suppose I critique in quite a few places. Mostly I'm either critiquing here, or I'm over at ConceptArt.Org giving them a few helpful hints, but either I drop at least 5 critiques a day (ranging from broad ideas to indepth details). I do incredibly, infinitely prefer critiquing in the more relaxed atmosphere of a forum to the review system, mostly because a good deal of my reviews get marked useless for giving soemone a low score (and after you see a certain amount of fantastic art, your idea of what should really get a 10 is put in place).

In short... idk lol.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:39:58

At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote:

If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

Oo, that sounds like I'm being mean to the art forum.
I mean I would have stopped posting MY ART here a while ago.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:42:25

At 10/31/10 08:25 PM, EJR wrote: Regs need love too.

I agree. We need crits too.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:46:35

At 10/31/10 08:39 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.

Do I have to say the same thing to you as I do the noobs that purposely bump their threads without pictures and something along the lines of "Nobody wants to comment?".
Post art for the sake of posting art, and sharing it with others. Just because we don't comment, doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. Hell, if I posted every time I liked something, most of my post history would consist of that.
You'll get critiques, but you're not gonna get them on every single thing you submit. Just have patience and you'll get reviews.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 20:55:17

At 10/31/10 08:46 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:39 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 10/31/10 08:38 PM, Luxembourg wrote: If I didn't want critique and help, I probably would have stopped posting here a while ago.
Do I have to say the same thing to you as I do the noobs that purposely bump their threads without pictures and something along the lines of "Nobody wants to comment?".
Post art for the sake of posting art, and sharing it with others. Just because we don't comment, doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. Hell, if I posted every time I liked something, most of my post history would consist of that.
You'll get critiques, but you're not gonna get them on every single thing you submit. Just have patience and you'll get reviews.

See, the difference there is that when I don't get critique, my art thread sinks away. I'm not begging people for attention and feedback. Feedback's the reason I post my art, but I'm not going to get upset when I don't get it because it's not like I react to every single piece of art I see anyways. I don't post my art solely for the sake of showing people art because I don't want people to enjoy my art, as I don't feel it's good enough to enjoy. I post it because I want to use it to get to a point where people can enjoy it. I want to improve. Some help to that end would be great, and I do get some. Enough to the point where I keep posting, anyways.
The only reason I bring it up now is because it's relevant, not because I'm whining. I don't agree that you shouldn't respond to regs, because some of us are still posting our art for the same reasons we were when we first came here.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:04:54

At 10/31/10 08:55 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Response

Yeah, I hear ya man. Although personally, now, when I post art, I just post it because I wanna post it

that is when I DO art

Also I never said don't critique regs :P
I critique evenly I'd say, between regs and newcomers.

When it comes to YOUR art specifically, I've always wanted to post, but I don't know what to say. You've got a really funky style, but I don't know if there's really any pointers or advice I can give to you.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:08:02

I though getting no comments, but getting ton's of views on your thread is a good thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:11:48

At 10/31/10 09:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
I critique evenly I'd say, between regs and newcomers.
When it comes to YOUR art specifically, I've always wanted to post, but I don't know what to say. You've got a really funky style, but I don't know if there's really any pointers or advice I can give to you.

I agree, newcomers need a lot of love. I remember being new; it feels kind of awkward, since all the regs seem to know eachother already. Despite that, those of us who are already established still need some love, too.
And that's fine about my art. Like I said, it can be tough to know how to react to some art. I think I need to start doing some more realistic stuff, because my stylized stuff doesn't feel like it's helping me get better quick enough. Maybe people can better react to that.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:13:29

At 10/31/10 09:08 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I though getting no comments, but getting ton's of views on your thread is a good thing.

Eh, pageviews don't help you in any way. All they say is that people look, nothing else. They don't even tell you if people like your stuff or not.

Another reason I dislike DeviantART: there's so much focus on pageviews.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:21:18

At 10/31/10 09:11 PM, Luxembourg wrote: And that's fine about my art. Like I said, it can be tough to know how to react to some art. I think I need to start doing some more realistic stuff, because my stylized stuff doesn't feel like it's helping me get better quick enough. Maybe people can better react to that.

strictly naturalistic art is boring as all hell, but it's important to have a good basis in life drawing--if you're looking to improve your art, nothing is better than a good figure drawing session

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:23:49

At 10/31/10 09:21 PM, tmkunt wrote:

strictly naturalistic art is boring as all hell, but it's important to have a good basis in life drawing--if you're looking to improve your art, nothing is better than a good figure drawing session

That's why I've avoided it. It bores me. I can endure that, though, if it helps out.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:28:54

oh no no dude, what I mean is that the art that results is boring, but actually drawing all of the beautiful contours of the human body and playing around with value is always fun :]
(in my mind anyway haha)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:34:05

At 10/31/10 09:28 PM, tmkunt wrote: oh no no dude, what I mean is that the art that results is boring, but actually drawing all of the beautiful contours of the human body and playing around with value is always fun :]
(in my mind anyway haha)

I don't mind the actual drawing part too much, but making myself get into one always feels difficult for me. The reason being that drawing feels weird to me if I'm not using my imagination in some way. Some of my other work I end up disliking for the very reason that I didn't feel like I used any imagination for them (like this one.)
When I'm not using my imagination, I don't feel like I'm making art.
I do think, however, that I could mix the two parts. Making a realistic drawing and then adding some surrealistic touches could do as much to aid improvement as just making a realistic drawing, couldn't it?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-10-31 21:55:38

You know, speaking of things that are boring but absolutely, or at least sort of, necessary...

I don't have instances where I'm drawing and don't like it, so this isn't about drawing.

I'm writing a novel. One who has taken any instruction in how to write essays or fiction knows that an outline is necessary. It gets thoughts together so that the ideas are confirmed and completed so you aren't making up shit on the spot so much.

I will tell you right now, writing a novel, that I hated writing the outline, mostly because I knew I was going to change things. It did, however, get my story together, and I would agree it was necessary.

Oh wait, this is the art lounge.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 13:43:08

Broccoli

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 14:00:51

art block sucks, wanting to draw, knowing i should be drawing, but just not being able to bring myself to make that first mark on the paper, if i could get myself to start something id be able to follow it through to the end, iv got sketches lying around everywhere but no motivation to finish any of them, oh help me someone

critiqueing (spelling?)

i only critique in detail where i feel something really needs to be said, that means not critiqueing as much as i really should, i dont like just focusing on positives or negatives, i like to give balanced reviews, so if i cant do that, i generally dont bother, bad habit but just leaving comments like "this is great" annoy me, theyre not helpful, just an ego boost, sure if you tell em whats good about it, they can focus on that and replicate it, but yeah, if i cant do a good crit i wont bother

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 15:07:12

I've been in the absolutely biggest art funk for like...a week, I can't think of anything, I can't motivate myself to do anything
this sucks

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 15:13:01

when I'm not feeling the urge to draw I usually get drunk or jerk off to get those creative juices flowin

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 15:16:24

At 11/1/10 03:07 PM, M-Vero wrote: I've been in the absolutely biggest art funk for like...a week, I can't think of anything, I can't motivate myself to do anything
this sucks

this
only a month

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 15:38:55

At 11/1/10 03:16 PM, Havegum wrote: this
only a month

since madness day for me, i havent got anything done :( college work is more important and takes up most of my time and energy i guess

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 18:22:12

At 11/1/10 03:38 PM, Ashman wrote: since madness day for me, i havent got anything done :( college work is more important and takes up most of my time and energy i guess

Stop trying to one up each other.

Besides, I've been in artist block since about July or so =P

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 18:48:32

At 11/1/10 06:22 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Besides, I've been in artist block since about July or so =P

I haven't drawn anything properly since summer vacation started.

I don't know why really. I suppose I just didn't take my time during the vacation. I always told myself "I'll draw when I get back to school", but I just didn't.

It could be this, or it could be the fact that I find any threads/collabs/contests appealing to me anymore. Either way I hate it and whenever I have tried to draw since summer vacation, it just doesn't feel the same as it used to. It used to be fun. now it's a chore.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 19:01:38

I HAVEN'T ARTED SINCE BEFORE I WAS BORN. I WIN!

nocaps.

I do suffer from lack of inspiration and motivation for long stretches too, sometimes you can fight it sometimes you can't. Mainly I start a lot of projects but lose steam in the middle and it just winds up an unfinished mess for all eternity that no one ever gets to see (not just visual art, but writing, animation, game maps, etc.), staying motivated and on the ball is the hardest part for me.

I don't have a cure for it, unfortunately, but I do feel you guys.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 20:02:05

Recently, I've had the ideas and materials. But I just lack the motivation and drive to actually go out and draw. Probably being forced to draw x in art class makes me lose motivation...

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 21:23:12

I'm actually more or less out of an art funk at this time - while my finished, digitally done art isn't looking too good, I've done a crazy amount of sketches and that's a pretty damn cool way of keeping the art coming. Course, I do have a tendency to lose pictures so I more or less just staple them together.

Course, actually having something put in front of me and being told to draw this (As of at the moment, doing the concept art for a steampunk game. Fun at times, most times no). But I get through it, one way or another.

Biggest funk I had was for... ooh... about 8 months about a year ago? I don't know, but basically couldn't really be half-arsed to draw anything. Gradually got myself back into drawing in a casual manner, and here I am today, bad but doing good.

Best way for me to get out of a funk is to, I think I've said this before, sketch crazily with reckless abandon and work my way up.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 22:37:43

I seem to have missed school today. I wish I hadn't slept for so long.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 22:52:22

On the subject of not creating art:

I haven't been able to get a lot of the projects I'd like to have done or finished because of school. Spending 4 hours a day working on art projects for school doesn't leave me with much will to work on or start up projects for myself.

TL/DR: Don't become an art student

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-01 23:39:02

At 11/1/10 11:19 PM, EJR wrote:
At 11/1/10 10:52 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: TL/DR: Don't become an art student
Unblock me.

I thought we discussed this, come to me IRL and I'll unblock you + give you a cake.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature