New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 11:55 AM Reply

At 9/18/10 07:18 AM, J-qb wrote: Why dont you just look at the views on your art every day/2day/week and make yourself your own graph? Quadruple the work, 1,35 times the fun!

I'm using NG Logs for my stats - they really do all the work, and I've even got a fancy graph, so it's 1,337 times the fun (it gives me a rate of change on b/p between days, the ultimate stat whoring tool) and really about 0.5 times the work. NG is just a better site to get noticed on, I suppose.

At 9/18/10 07:36 AM, Luxembourg wrote: I tried DeviantART. Once I saw that nobody gives any kind of real comments (everybody just fucking loves everybody else's work) and that your work stays on the first page for about 15 seconds, I said "fuck this."

Linty, it may be biased since we're Newgrounders saying this, but I think you're better off here. Stats are just numbers, after all. You'll end up with nothing really solid out of DA. Hell, I don't even think people who get huge on DA end up with anything solid other than a smug feeling because of the sheer number of compliments they receive with no real criticism.

God, I'm just saying what everybody else has said. I still want to join in on keeping Lintire here, though!

Yeah, I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with you there. Stat whoring on NG really does produce viable results - it's not just for bragging rights, the more you vote the better your vote is worth - and the better you get to influence a flash, audio or piece of art. You vote is worth more because you've spent more time voting, and it's that type of stat whoring that works - I enjoy seeing my vote being worth more, and I enjoy rating.

Your reward for people visiting you on dA is that people have visited you on dA. n = n. Whoop de do dah day, humbug-style. It really is a useless thing, and the fact that it's not decent and well-drawn art that gets the pageviews, but commenting a sheer amount of times and placing quantity over quality - it's that sort of thing that really does encourage shovelware.

Besides, I'd never leave you guys - you're all too important, Lux, I wouldn't defect for a graph. It was just where I was going to concentrate my efforts, and that has now pretty much been well and truly decided as NG.

At 9/18/10 11:11 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/18/10 04:04 AM, Havegum wrote: Also thank you jonny, for posting the link!
Congrats on being able to post again.

Congratulations on re-noticing his un-ban before I did, although he actually told everyone on stickam. What's it like, Gumby, I haven't been banned for so long.

As for this next bit, only a few people will actually get this: guys, I've been banned of both Runescape and Adventure Quest Worlds for trolling. I'm now on to Quake Live, but only to play the game, because, well, you can never really troll FPS players because they're so damn used to it.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 12:16 PM Reply

At 9/18/10 11:55 AM, Lintire wrote: As for this next bit, only a few people will actually get this: guys, I've been banned of both Runescape and Adventure Quest Worlds for trolling. I'm now on to Quake Live, but only to play the game, because, well, you can never really troll FPS players because they're so damn used to it.

Oh Runescape. I used to play that game..... then I turned 15.
The only trolling you can do on FPS is mic spam and racism, but then you usually get server kicked.

Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 03:59 PM Reply

Is this the right place to ask about the art portal?

I just submitted an entry, but I can't edit my description. Is there a waiting time for when you can edit or am I doing something wrong?

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 18th, 2010 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 9/18/10 03:59 PM, Izzy-A wrote: Is this the right place to ask about the art portal?

I just submitted an entry, but I can't edit my description. Is there a waiting time for when you can edit or am I doing something wrong?

I have had the same problem; its apparently something they are working on, but dont know how to fix yet.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 19th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

ARRRRRRRRR!
Today be talk like a pirate day.
If ye be posting in the lounge, ye best be talking like a pirate, else ye walk the plank and be sent to Davey Jones locker!

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 19th, 2010 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 9/19/10 02:53 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: ARRRRRRRRR!
Today be talk like a pirate day.
If ye be posting in the lounge, ye best be talking like a pirate, else ye walk the plank and be sent to Davey Jones locker!

Yar! Have any of me fellow mates ever heard the- oh, fuck it. I tried at least. Anyway, cool story bout pacman.
dot dot dot...

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 19th, 2010 @ 05:07 PM Reply

I gots a question mateys!
I been doin' some drawin's on a big notepad, and i don't know how t' properly transfer it here cause me scanners too small and me camera be a phone, which is lame.
Will Kinkos scan a bigger picture (14x17) and be it expensive?
Who has experience with this?

(Happy talk like a pirate day)

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 20th, 2010 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 9/19/10 05:07 PM, Spaghetti14 wrote: I gots a question mateys!
I been doin' some drawin's on a big notepad, and i don't know how t' properly transfer it here cause me scanners too small and me camera be a phone, which is lame.

My best advice is get a better camera.
And then listen to this tutorial when you do.

In other news I came across this guy recently, Barnaby Whitfield, and must say I am sufficiently uncomfortable.
(If you weren't bothered by clowns before, oh you will be)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 20th, 2010 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 9/20/10 11:21 AM, ornery wrote: In other news I came across this guy recently, Barnaby Whitfield, and must say I am sufficiently uncomfortable.

Why was the first thing I thought when I saw the background image "Ronald McDonald died for your sins"?

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 20th, 2010 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 9/20/10 11:49 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Why was the first thing I thought when I saw the background image "Ronald McDonald died for your sins"?

Because he did, Jonny. Because he did.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 20th, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 9/20/10 11:21 AM, ornery wrote: In other news I came across this guy recently, Barnaby Whitfield, and must say I am sufficiently uncomfortable.

Wow, he really did a great job at making everything in that picture incredibly weird - it's funny, because the drapes match the carpet and whatnot. But overall, a very well done and creepy picture that's just sitting there on the front page.

Did he get fries with that?

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Doods!
So liek, I think one of the secrets to getting work as an artist is to just be proactive and email people.
I know i'm not the best artist by any means, but I think I'm decent, and also I enjoy doing it.
So I've been emailing different places and companies when I get the chance, sending them some of my work and seeing if they want me to do anything for them.
So far, I've gotten positive responses from Tigatu - a clothing company based out of Monroe, WA and The Basics, an awesome Australian band (The same one that Zekeyspaceylizard did a music video to in flash for "Like a Brother").

So I might be getting some cool experience in the field with these places soon, which should provide excitement, fun, and hopefully some moolah!

joe9320
joe9320
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 05:44 AM Reply

The rules say that I have to post an image if I'm making a new topic. How do I do that? I might ended up putting links instead! I wanted to put a picture on the topic.

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature
Kuoke
Kuoke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 05:50 AM Reply

At 9/21/10 05:44 AM, joe9320 wrote: The rules say that I have to post an image if I'm making a new topic. How do I do that? I might ended up putting links instead! I wanted to put a picture on the topic.

Right under the text field you use to type up a post, there's an upload thing with a button that says "Browse...", click that.

BBS Signature
MangaFriend
MangaFriend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 09:33 AM Reply

Um, hi again. I've only posted once this stupid picture of mine to here (or-where-was-it-again?).
People in NG, don't really like my art, so I'm trying to get rid of my manga-ish style.

But I still draw in manga-ish style -.- I can't get rid of it!
I want to show you people my new computer art.

This is just a little weird flying creature... I have a good imagination, but my drawing skills aren't so great.

[Is this Art Forum Lounge right place for showing your art? Oh well, I'm still going to post this here this time... but tell me if this isn't the right place for that.]

Art Forum Lounge

If my favourite things would be combined, It would be green apple games, with great art and music. In speaking of wich... going to candy apple land, brb :D
I has art too :3

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 10:15 AM Reply

Quick question - On Photoshop, is it best to shade with the burn tool or just a darker tone of whatever color you are shading? Thanks -

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 9/21/10 10:15 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: Quick question - On Photoshop, is it best to shade with the burn tool or just a darker tone of whatever color you are shading? Thanks -

darker tool; You should try to keep way from any other tools than the brush and the eraser (if youre doing digital painting that is)

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 10:20 AM Reply

At 9/21/10 09:33 AM, MangaFriend wrote: ignorance

We've told you this already multiple times. If you want to show off your art, make yourself a personal art thread, and then you can post whatever you want in it.

Do you understand yet?
BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 10:50 AM Reply

At 9/21/10 10:19 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 9/21/10 10:15 AM, AJtheRipper wrote: Quick question - On Photoshop, is it best to shade with the burn tool or just a darker tone of whatever color you are shading? Thanks -
darker tool; You should try to keep way from any other tools than the brush and the eraser (if youre doing digital painting that is)

Yeah, you might want to expiriment, not just with a darker shade, but also with different hues. For instance you adding blue to your shading often adds a nice dynamic touch to your image and a cooling shadow.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 02:35 AM Reply

Happy madness day everyone.
Anyone tried out Tom and MC's new madness game?

I played it and beat it and got both medals all on my first run through
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At 9/22/10 02:35 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Happy madness day everyone.
Anyone tried out Tom and MC's new madness game?
I played it and beat it and got both medals all on my first run through

i played it when it had no medals or sound :( havent really checked it since, watched hualaloos madness toon though, pretty awesome

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 03:11 AM Reply

They added medals? Oh, son of a bitch! I got to round 50 first go without any medals under my belt - now I'll have to replay the game.

To be honest, it didn't have a display pic either, when i was playing it.
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 03:35 AM Reply

At 9/22/10 02:35 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Anyone tried out Tom and MC's new madness game?

Medal... game?.... wuahhh... take it away... noo NOOOO AGHHAGHHHH!!!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 08:55 AM Reply

The fuck is this?

Okay, guys, so here I am reviewing 'In the final hour..." by Seenya with a review with I think was pretty good (well, yeah, I like my own reviews, so sue me) but the beast of the review system screws up on me. Now, i wrote the review in Microsoft word before submitting it (to get a better view of what I'm writing, it's something I do often), and would that have had something to do with it's screwing up?

I'm just going to ask if anyone else has had an error like that, and could a mod delete the review so i can resubmit it?

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 11:53 AM Reply

So.... both of the flashes I was in that were planned for Madness Day aren't finished and wont be finished.....

I am full of the sadness
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 11:58 AM Reply

At 9/22/10 11:53 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: So.... both of the flashes I was in that were planned for Madness Day aren't finished and wont be finished.....
I am full of the sadness

b-bu-but Dnoack was so close to being finished, what happened

in other news, thanks for the frontpage, i guess you had to fill up the space somehow

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 01:48 PM Reply

<3 Madness!

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 9/22/10 11:58 AM, Ashman wrote:
At 9/22/10 11:53 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: So.... both of the flashes I was in that were planned for Madness Day aren't finished and wont be finished.....
I am full of the sadness
b-bu-but Dnoack was so close to being finished, what happened

in other news, thanks for the frontpage, i guess you had to fill up the space somehow

I'm pretty sure that the frontpage was a matter of course - take the time to do a Madness pic, and get a complimentary frontpage. That doesn't mean that it doesn't feel incredibly awesome, though =D

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 22nd, 2010 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 9/22/10 08:55 AM, Lintire wrote: could a mod delete the review so i can resubmit it?

Try pm-ing a mod next time instead of hoping one stumbles across your post! :P

got that shit on shoes, dammit!
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 23rd, 2010 @ 02:14 AM Reply

I was going to, but my internet screwed up on me before I could so sorry about that D:

Figured out what was wrong - wrong it in Word, so the ", ', and - symbols were different, and NG couldn't handle that. Shame about not being able to resubmit it, but the more you know :3.