Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 30th, 2010 @ 10:21 PM Reply

At 8/30/10 05:58 PM, Mabelma wrote:
I'm trying to add something new to my life. I'm going to be watching at least 2 movies on this "Moveary" Every Saturday. I would be great if you guys could help me fix this list. Could you help me find the mystery movies (I hate mystery movies) and if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Define mystery movies and why do you hate them? Like movies with a surprise ending? Or whodunit, detective stuff?

Lesser Known mystery movies (Detective Style) everyone should see:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Brick
The Brothers Bloom
Chinatown (lesser known for our generation)
RadioLand Murders

I'd add right off the top of my head movies I think you might not have seen:

Fisher King
City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
My Favorite Year
Noises Off
Blade Runner
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (if you haven't seen it)
Pandorum (little scattered, and initially underwhelming, but was surprised how often I thought of it later)
Arthur
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Every Coen Brothers movie ever.
Adaptation
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Pi
The Fountain
Lost Highway (really anything by Lynch, but it's an aquired taste)
Anything of Quentin Tarantino's you haven't seen yet
Anything of Martin Scorsese's you haven't seen yet
Moon
In Bruges
The Godfather movies.
Goodfellas

And I'm starting to reach, and I'm unsure what you've seen so I'll stop
!! Skip Eight Crazy Nights. It's just an enormous piece of shit, and I've sat through some shit. But then again I hated Scary Movie, and all it's spawn. It just seems so lazy. Although if you like that kinda humor see: Airplane! Know your roots.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:03 AM Reply

I've been watching a lot of Korean films lately, they're always really gritty, violent, and awesome

Oldboy (or anything by Chan-Wook Park)
Thirst
The Chaser
A Bittersweet Life

Also I don't remember if it was on your list, but as far as detective movies go I'd definitely recommend Brick. It's a great neo-noir, and one of my favorite movies of all time.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:55 AM Reply

About Books:
I actually have the Hitchhiker's Guide (bought it last summer), and I'll probably read it once I finish the Bourne Trilogy.

About Movies:
I personally own at least 200 movies on DVD, probably another 100 as burned copies, and another 100 at least on my external.
To Ben - Oldboy is part of a "vengeance trilogy". If you haven't seen them, I suggest watching "sympathy for mr vengeance" and "sympathy for lady vengeance".

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 03:35 AM Reply

IIIIIII
(,O '_')-O Yoz!
/ \

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 05:45 AM Reply

About Movies:

Ive mentioned some of these multiple times before; but they werent (all) on your list so here we go again.
Sleuth (adaptation of a play, great acting from Jude Law and Michael Caine)
American History x
Primer
(great low-budget sci-fi psychological thriller drama something)
Thank you for Smoking (Great fun comedy, light entertainment with a very original story without lame jokes)
Everything Is Illuminated(heartwarming comedic drama)
Gone Baby Gone (neo-noir crime drama)
Sin City (part two is in the make, cant wait)
Man on Fire (Action with a great story)

I like to go through lists like this to find good movies

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 09:11 AM Reply

At 8/31/10 12:55 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: To Ben - Oldboy is part of a "vengeance trilogy". If you haven't seen them, I suggest watching "sympathy for mr vengeance" and "sympathy for lady vengeance".

Yes I have, I've seen all of Chan-Wook Parks movies, he's an amazing director :P

Oldboy's just the best out of the trilogy IMO.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 8/30/10 05:58 PM, Mabelma wrote:
I'm trying to add something new to my life. I'm going to be watching at least 2 movies....

Pan's Labyrinth. Seven Pounds. The Begotten. Up. Mary and Max.

Danopus
Danopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 11:45 AM Reply

Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Tales from Earthsea or something similar to that.

I like Studio Ghibli :D

These are just the movies i've seen; aside from Howl's moving castle, which you said you'd already seen.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:20 PM Reply

@Ben - Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you on that. Oldboy is the best of that trilogy.

@Dan - Dude, don't forget Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:45 PM Reply

So many great movies, I must add them all!!!

I have seen many if not all the anime movies mentioned.

Who's looking forward to Castle Crasher releasing today?

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 12:45 PM, Mabelma wrote:
Who's looking forward to Castle Crasher releasing today?

*Raises hand*

I'm looking forward more, however, to buying it tomorrow (no money today =P).

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 12:57 PM Reply

I have the money but haven't got a psn card... Gonna have to buy it later :(

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 02:04 PM Reply

Eh Belma, interview Ornery =P

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 12:45 PM, Mabelma wrote: Who's looking forward to Castle Crasher releasing today?

I don't have a power cord yet to use my tv and my ps3 at the same time, probably going over to a friends house to use his tv so I can buy it tonight.

I'm pretty excited. I don't know too many people with 360's so I haven't gotten to play it yet.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
austinzombie
austinzombie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 02:39 PM Reply

I'm going to go ahead and start up a new conversation just cus
so where is everyone going this year? back to school or something different? I realize some of you may be working people, if so thats cool I suppose.

I myself am pretty fucked because I may not be doing the thing I want to be doing and Im definately not going back to school yet. I guess that means a lot of time to improve my art i dunno

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 02:39 PM, austinzombie wrote: I'm going to go ahead and start up a new conversation just cus
so where is everyone going this year? back to school or something different?

Back to school, but I switched studies. Im now in the Premaster Philosophy programme (and finishing up my Bachelor International Business administration). I have only had a few classes (today was my second day) but I can tell allready that its a much better fit. The classes are about subjects that actually interest me and that make me want to know more about them. Besides that the classes are all a lot smaller (50 students instead of 200) which make the lectures much more interactive. So yeah, Im happy.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 03:47 PM Reply

I thought I offered him that, didn't I? I need to interview Cypress first though.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 04:01 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 03:47 PM, Mabelma wrote: I thought I offered him that, didn't I? I need to interview Cypress first though.

maybe renaenae too? :3
also, im sure the interview with Ornery would be awesome

Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 04:03 PM Reply

Offered...Denied

She didn't want to but that was right after Ben's interview. Things could have change.
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 05:07 PM Reply

@Austinzombie

I am going to school again this year, but I have moved from po-dunk, tiny redneck town Jacksonville, North Carolina, to very large Jacksonville, Florida.

Haha, I moved from Jacksonville to Jacksonville. Trust me, I've heard it before.

As such, I'm also going to a much, much nicer school this year. I'm now attending the Douglas Anderson School of the Arts, which is in the top 10 best public schools in the entire country and has won tons of awards for its arts programs. I'm going in for orchestra (I play violin), which is very nice. I wanted to audition for visual arts as well but I couldn't meet the proper date for that. Shame; I would have rather gone in for visual arts.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 8/31/10 05:07 PM, Luxembourg wrote: @Austinzombie

I am going to school again this year, but I have moved from po-dunk, tiny redneck town Jacksonville, North Carolina, to very large Jacksonville, Florida.
Haha, I moved from Jacksonville to Jacksonville. Trust me, I've heard it before.

congratulations!
i happen to live in florida, but its quite a distance from where you are at (roughly 3 hours). my cousing has a condo in Jacksonville though :P

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 31st, 2010 @ 07:45 PM Reply

So, I was bored in school today so I started my entry for the calender contest, it's okay, though I probably won't win anything. Also, my school is doing a competition to make a homecoming shirt, I started my design and everybody thinks I'm gonna win but it's anyone's game.
I should probably ink the bagillion sketches that I have.

ALSO: In NG news I am restarting Comic Strip of the Week, since it failed last time I made some tweaks to everything in my head and it is gonna be better than ever! (Well the ONE that I made that is)

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 1st, 2010 @ 12:39 AM Reply

At 8/31/10 07:45 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: ALSO: In NG news I am restarting Comic Strip of the Week, since it failed last time I made some tweaks to everything in my head and it is gonna be better than ever! (Well the ONE that I made that is)

Well, if you decide to do it, put some effort into it.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 1st, 2010 @ 07:49 PM Reply

I had an awesome idea to make a flash based comic where if you look at it it all looks completely normal and readable - but if you click each frame it comes to life and plays out the scene as if you were watching the comic come to life as an actual cartoon - and then it refreezes once that pane is done playing. Kind of like a dynamic comic. Waddaya guys think? I mean I'm too busy to do it these days but I still think it;s a great concept...

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
ornery
ornery
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 1st, 2010 @ 10:43 PM Reply

At 9/1/10 07:49 PM, Chronamut wrote: I had an awesome idea to make a flash based comic where if you look at it it all looks completely normal and readable - but if you click each frame it comes to life and plays out the scene as if you were watching the comic come to life as an actual cartoon - and then it refreezes once that pane is done playing. Kind of like a dynamic comic. Waddaya guys think? I mean I'm too busy to do it these days but I still think it;s a great concept...

Ive seen that kind of thing before, there was a whole slew of those types of things around 2003-2006 on NG. they were a little more animation based or art based, but trying to get an equal balance of both could be interesting.
The only thing that makes it a bit redundant in a way is that the point of the comic is a visual progression of static images in cells, having the cells be an animation will either make reading the thing very confusing for those who jump ahead in cells without finishing the animation, or sort of pointless since the point of the comic is to move the story forward with static cells, otherwise it might as well just be an animation. Maybe having the animation of each cell not be completely necessary, but more used as an enhancement or supplement to the static image. So instead of say, having lines to show a guy swinging his sword, the cell shows him doing the swing, and the next one shows the contact. That way for those who don't want to sit through the animation can still progress like a normal comic, while those with more time and get a more fluid experience.

Jarvid
Jarvid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 1st, 2010 @ 11:10 PM Reply

Hi guys, I haven't posted or drawn much in a while. Look at this life drawing I did 2 days ago. Ok thanks.

Art Forum Lounge

This signature is not true

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 1st, 2010 @ 11:34 PM Reply

@Chronamut - Yeah man, that sounds cool. They did that for Watchmen (made the Watchmen motion comic, still have to watch that)

@Jarvid - I thought you were dead (figuratively not literally).

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:06 PM Reply

At 9/1/10 10:43 PM, ornery wrote:
At 9/1/10 07:49 PM, Chronamut wrote: I had an awesome idea to make a flash based comic where if you look at it it all looks completely normal and readable - but if you click each frame it comes to life and plays out the scene as if you were watching the comic come to life as an actual cartoon - and then it refreezes once that pane is done playing. Kind of like a dynamic comic. Waddaya guys think? I mean I'm too busy to do it these days but I still think it;s a great concept...
Ive seen that kind of thing before, there was a whole slew of those types of things around 2003-2006 on NG. they were a little more animation based or art based, but trying to get an equal balance of both could be interesting.
The only thing that makes it a bit redundant in a way is that the point of the comic is a visual progression of static images in cells, having the cells be an animation will either make reading the thing very confusing for those who jump ahead in cells without finishing the animation, or sort of pointless since the point of the comic is to move the story forward with static cells, otherwise it might as well just be an animation. Maybe having the animation of each cell not be completely necessary, but more used as an enhancement or supplement to the static image. So instead of say, having lines to show a guy swinging his sword, the cell shows him doing the swing, and the next one shows the contact. That way for those who don't want to sit through the animation can still progress like a normal comic, while those with more time and get a more fluid experience.

yeah that would be the general idea - if you don't click anything it's just like any other comic - ity's only when you click on it that stuff happens - cuz I knmow there have been times where I look at a pane and IU'm like " I really with that would animate out so I could get the full experience of it"

and yeah itd be time consuming but I dunno - fun concept.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 12:54 AM Reply

this is proof that i am a pokemon trainer......
yes i wore that shit to school
i am the alpha male
hand over all your ladies

Art Forum Lounge

Celestica

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Sep. 3rd, 2010 @ 03:30 AM Reply

Hey, y'all! Thought I'd say hi, I've been out of commission while my computer was playing up.

To top it off, I've lost all the progress on a few pics I was doing and lost the whole thing - these were being done for other people, so.. gargh. How do you guys react to something like that?