New Topic Respond to this Topic
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 8/28/10 03:04 PM, ornery wrote: Chuck Close was on the Colbert Reporta week or so ago.

Interesting interview for once.

That was both interesting, and kinda funny.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 04:41 PM Reply

hey, quick question, does anyone have a link to the "art collaboration thread?" the one where people post lineart, and other people can color it and junk. Cus I can't find it, being that the keywords are "art" "collaboration" and "thread" lol
please and thank you.

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 04:42 PM Reply

BRUSHES!

Time for some aimless pondering about art supplies

So, I just spent a better part of the evening sorting out my digital brushes. Pleased with the results, I fiogured I might take a look at how many brushes I have in total. The number sent a chill down my spine - 63. Fuuuuuuck, that's alot. And i haven't even gotten around to renaming and reorganizing them all.
It's somewhat disturbing to think that I have hoarded together too many brushes.

It's still not as much as I had just deleted - 121

This doesn't apply only to digital brushes - I have been hoarding physical art supplies too (and digital software <_<). 21 brushes, 16 pencils (not counting my drawerfull of coloured ones!), 4 drawing blocks for a total of 130 pages and 4 watercolour sets for a total of 66 colours. In addition I also have 6 feathers and 16 floppies (!) and a pack of clay.
I'm not saying this to boast, I'm saying this because I look at all that stuff and I feel....sad? betrayed? I have no definition for this feeling. It's just this disappointment that I've been too lazy to actually go ahead and burn through all that stuff. I wanna draw, but I don't find the willpower to. What madness is this?
Also, I've never been an impulsive buyer, but when it comes to art supplies (even the stranger ones) I've always been all "GIMME GIMME GIMME!" which is disturbing. Never liked losing self-control.

Where I'm getting with this? I dunno, hence the "aimless pondering".

TL;DR for the lazy bastards - Anybody else feel like their art supplies are burying them?

and yes, I am painting on floppies. Await a thread soon

BBS Signature
Viridis
Viridis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 28th, 2010 @ 08:38 PM Reply

I did a few Munny stickers, would it be against the rules to post them in the Art Portal because the lineart isn't my own?
Just curious.

PSN: Cloud-1409

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 12:26 AM Reply

At 8/28/10 04:41 PM, jeeshwa123 wrote: hey, quick question, does anyone have a link to the "art collaboration thread?" the one where people post lineart, and other people can color it and junk. Cus I can't find it, being that the keywords are "art" "collaboration" and "thread" lol
please and thank you.

Art Collaboration Thread

Hooray for keeping history for months
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 8/28/10 12:10 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Did you scout another art thief?

No, I just seem to scout pretty much an exclusive retinue of mediocre artists <.<
Seriously.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 01:57 AM Reply

At 8/29/10 12:57 AM, Lintire wrote: No, I just seem to scout pretty much an exclusive retinue of mediocre artists <.<
Seriously.

Mreh, I've seen worse.

Much worse.....
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 02:20 AM Reply

At 8/29/10 01:57 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/29/10 12:57 AM, Lintire wrote: No, I just seem to scout pretty much an exclusive retinue of mediocre artists <.<
Seriously.
Mreh, I've seen worse.
Much worse.....

Well, I'll take hope in that - nonetheless, will be much more careful with who or what I scout in the future.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 02:20 AM, Lintire wrote: No, I just seem to scout pretty much an exclusive retinue of mediocre artists <.<
Well, I'll take hope in that - nonetheless, will be much more careful with who or what I scout in the future.

im the same, i cant scout for shit. and all the good artists are (obviously) already scouted. so after being yelled at, errrr firmly talked to once or twice, i just gave up on scouting. sorry terrible artists, no more scouting for you :(

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Hey, guys, some money that I don't know what to do with recently came into my possession. I still haven't decided what to do with it, but I was thinking I might put some of it towards a nice pen set for inking things; I've always just used a Sharpie pen, and I think I may want to step up a little from there. I've heard that the right tools can make a big difference, and I've recently seen that since I stepped up from mechanical pencils to real, intended-for-drawing graphic pencils.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what would be good to get, and where?

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 03:20 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Does anybody have any suggestions as to what would be good to get, and where?

i personally use PrismaColors, but there are lots of other brands like Sakura, Micron, Mars, ect. research a bit to find the ones you might like.
as for where, i personally recommend a Michael's if you have one near you, but i doubt you do. Staples, office max, ect have a small section where they sell them (near notepads, markers, ect.) but your local craft store is probably the best bet :)

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 03:37 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 03:33 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 8/29/10 03:20 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Does anybody have any suggestions as to what would be good to get, and where?
i personally use PrismaColors, but there are lots of other brands like Sakura, Micron, Mars, ect. research a bit to find the ones you might like.
as for where, i personally recommend a Michael's if you have one near you, but i doubt you do. Staples, office max, ect have a small section where they sell them (near notepads, markers, ect.) but your local craft store is probably the best bet :)

There's actually a Michaels that I pass on the way home from school, so I may stop in there at some point (though I kind of hate it in there.) Prismacolor, however, doesn't do inking pens from what I see on their site. I already have some nice pencils; I'm looking for pens. I may just be mssing something, though.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
verycoolguy
verycoolguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 04:23 PM Reply

Can someone find the link for the art contest about death by dicks? I believe it was either the first or the second art contest in the forum.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 03:37 PM, Luxembourg wrote: There's actually a Michaels that I pass on the way home from school, so I may stop in there at some point (though I kind of hate it in there.) Prismacolor, however, doesn't do inking pens from what I see on their site. I already have some nice pencils; I'm looking for pens. I may just be mssing something, though.

yeah, check michaels, they should have prismacolors (at least i got them, inking set, 15 bucks for 5 pens) but once you are there look around, theres much to be discovered :D

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 04:37 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 8/29/10 03:37 PM, Luxembourg wrote: There's actually a Michaels that I pass on the way home from school, so I may stop in there at some point (though I kind of hate it in there.) Prismacolor, however, doesn't do inking pens from what I see on their site. I already have some nice pencils; I'm looking for pens. I may just be mssing something, though.
stupidity

my bad, yes you are right, they dont sell inking pens. they actually use very fine tip markers, that come in .01, .05, .08, 1, and 5 (in my set). they are inking markers though, and i still highly recommend them :P sorry for the confusion
also, more info.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 05:15 PM Reply

Thanks, Kashi. I'll look into those markers.
Anybody else have any suggestions before I throw my money into this? Granted, that's a lot less than I expected them to cost, but still, more options are better than few.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 05:15 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Thanks, Kashi. I'll look into those markers.
Anybody else have any suggestions before I throw my money into this? Granted, that's a lot less than I expected them to cost, but still, more options are better than few.

Unless you're planning to buy a set of water colours/canvas paints or whatever and experiment with those, I have to say that just replenishing your set of pens would have to be your best bet.

Mind you, personally I'd blow the lot on candy/video games/AIDS/crystal meth/slave children and whatnot.

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 06:21 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 8/29/10 05:15 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Thanks, Kashi. I'll look into those markers.
Unless you're planning to buy a set of water colours/canvas paints or whatever and experiment with those, I have to say that just replenishing your set of pens would have to be your best bet.

Mind you, personally I'd blow the lot on candy/video games/AIDS/crystal meth/slave children and whatnot.

Video games are tempting, really. There are a lot of DS games I want to get because I haven't been paying enough attention to the system in the past... well, since the thing first came out, and a lot of seemingly great games have gone right under my nose, and I also thought about saving it for future releases (I really want to be one of the first to experience LittleBIGPlanet 2; that's my most anticipated title by far.) but nothing really great comes out for several months and I would feel weird holding onto it that long. I figure I'd best spend some of it (though it doesn't seem like I have to spend a whole lot) on something practical.
I'll still end up blowing the other $90 or so on videogames and slave children, sad though that may be.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 07:24 PM Reply

If it is inking pens that you are looking for get yourself a Staedler marsmatic 700 with a .50 tip.
It is what I use for inking and I must say, it is a great inking pen. It has a certain mechanism which prevents the ink you put in it from drying out. When it comes to ink to buy for it I would reccomend just regular Higgin's black ink or Higgin's rapdiograph ink.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 07:24 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote:
If it is inking pens that you are looking for get yourself a Staedler marsmatic 700 with a .50 tip.
It is what I use for inking and I must say, it is a great inking pen. It has a certain mechanism which prevents the ink you put in it from drying out. When it comes to ink to buy for it I would reccomend just regular Higgin's black ink or Higgin's rapdiograph ink.

From what I can find on the internet, a set of 4 costs $70, and a set of 7 costs $130 dollars. While I'm willing to spend a good chunk on pens, it seems a bit steep.
I don't get free-to-spend money often, and I have some reservations about spending all of the money I've got at the moment on pens.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 07:37 PM, Luxembourg wrote: From what I can find on the internet, a set of 4 costs $70, and a set of 7 costs $130 dollars.

HOLY FUCK. talk about expensive. and i was commenting on how 5 prismacolors cost me 20 bucks >.>
as good as they may be, i wouldnt want to invest that much money into art pens... especially on 4 or 7

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 08:01 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
At 8/29/10 07:37 PM, Luxembourg wrote: From what I can find on the internet, a set of 4 costs $70, and a set of 7 costs $130 dollars.
HOLY FUCK. talk about expensive. and i was commenting on how 5 prismacolors cost me 20 bucks >.>
as good as they may be, i wouldnt want to invest that much money into art pens... especially on 4 or 7

Yeah, it looks like I'll be going with the Prismacolors.
In other news, Kashi has almost caught up to me in post count, yet I've been here longer. Huh. I must not post often enough.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 08:04 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 8/29/10 08:01 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
Yeah, it looks like I'll be going with the Prismacolors.
In other news, Kashi has almost caught up to me in post count, yet I've been here longer. Huh. I must not post often enough.

FFF No I haven't. I didn't realize her old thread was from last year. She just became more regular more recently.
Disregard that.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 08:06 PM, Luxembourg wrote: In other news, Kashi has almost caught up to me in post count, yet I've been here longer. Huh. I must not post often enough.

no, i think i post too much. i need to stop lurking. school willl help that though

FFF No I haven't. I didn't realize her old thread was from last year. She just became more regular more recently.

yeah, i made my account in 07, but didnt make the thread till.... june 09. i left for like 8 months for getting flamed, and came back around march this year. so, from march to now is where i probably got... 700+ of my posts :P

gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:50 PM Reply

Ok, I've got a problem. So I have a wireless router so i can play games online on my PS3 but the problem is is that I go to test the connection and the signal strength for some reason is at 17%. This problem just occurred tonight and I don't know what to to strengthen my signal, any ideas?
Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with bad weather, but if so then that would explain a lot.

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 08:54 PM Reply

From what I can find on the internet, a set of 4 costs $70, and a set of 7 costs $130 dollars. While I'm willing to spend a good chunk on pens, it seems a bit steep.
I don't get free-to-spend money often, and I have some reservations about spending all of the money I've got at the moment on pens.

Yeah, they are pretty pricey, thus the fact why I only have one, but it is a good investment because you can refill them with run of the mill ink and they have this special thing inside of it that makes the ink dry out.
Though Prisma color is pretty good, I've never used their markers before, I'll probably check them out.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 06:30 PM, Luxembourg wrote: Video games are tempting, really. There are a lot of DS games I want to get because I haven't been paying enough attention to the system in the past... well, since the thing first came out, and a lot of seemingly great games have gone right under my nose, and I also thought about saving it for future releases (I really want to be one of the first to experience LittleBIGPlanet 2; that's my most anticipated title by far.) but nothing really great comes out for several months and I would feel weird holding onto it that long. I figure I'd best spend some of it (though it doesn't seem like I have to spend a whole lot) on something practical.
I'll still end up blowing the other $90 or so on videogames and slave children, sad though that may be.

Well, videogames are an honourable pursuit, one that embodies freedom, happiness, and good will. Blowing $90 on them is really kinda of small fry - I'd expect to pay a hundred for a new game, but searching through bargain bins I can get myself 15 - 20 dollar games, as I'm sure you can too.

So yeah, why not spend a bit of the money on replenishing any art stash you may have and spend the rest on some leisure items?

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 09:02 PM, Lintire wrote:

Well, videogames are an honourable pursuit, one that embodies freedom, happiness, and good will. Blowing $90 on them is really kinda of small fry - I'd expect to pay a hundred for a new game, but searching through bargain bins I can get myself 15 - 20 dollar games, as I'm sure you can too.

So yeah, why not spend a bit of the money on replenishing any art stash you may have and spend the rest on some leisure items?

What games cost $100? New games start at $60, and I really don't expect to get any new ones. Lots of old ones I skipped over.
Like I said, there are some DS games I want, and DS games aren't expensive, especially when used.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Aug. 29th, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 8/29/10 09:09 PM, Luxembourg wrote: What games cost $100? New games start at $60, and I really don't expect to get any new ones. Lots of old ones I skipped over.

^ most games where i live are about $60 (for the new console games) and most DS games are anywhere from $30-50. however, slowely but surely the proces are creeping up to $65, then $70. sucks. and this is why art is a wonderful endeavor! cheaper and still really fun!

overdramatic much? lol soz