00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

956,773 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 13:36:33

At 6/5/10 12:57 PM, Sockembop wrote: This guy is mad at me for locking his thread...

Wow, that guy way over-reacted.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 13:37:00

At 6/5/10 01:34 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 6/5/10 01:06 PM, angryglacier wrote: I think Nae wants to get yelled at.
Yeah, nothing completes my day more than some pm's filled with rage and ignorance! Love it! :D

It's like coffee for the soul.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 13:53:19

So this lounge. Is it real? Or symbolic?

Art blog: xpisigma.tumblr.com

Deviantart: xpisigma.deviantart.com

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 14:25:09

At 6/5/10 01:55 PM, angryglacier wrote:
At 6/5/10 01:53 PM, XPISigma wrote: So this lounge. Is it real? Or symbolic?
No maaaan it's deep.

Whoaaaa this thread is amazing.

Art blog: xpisigma.tumblr.com

Deviantart: xpisigma.deviantart.com

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 16:37:54

At 6/5/10 02:25 PM, XPISigma wrote: Whoaaaa this thread is amazing.

Duuude, have your mind like...
expanded.

(link leads to awesome tutorials).

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:14:01

At 6/5/10 12:57 PM, Sockembop wrote: This guy is mad at me for locking his thread...

I've actually gotten numerous PMs in the past about people complaining to me for locking their thread.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:23:36

At 6/5/10 05:14 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've actually gotten numerous PMs in the past about people complaining to me for locking their thread.

muahahahahahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:35:04

At 6/5/10 01:07 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I told you. I mean come on the cover art was a red flag, you even mentioned it! Well that shit storm is behind you now. As long as you NEVER watch the movie "The Mangler 2" your golden. I...I never saw it myself. I was... uh ... Playing video games. Video games I say!

yep I should have seen it coming. But even so I still needed to watch it, even if I knew it was going to be bad. I Kind of try to watch all zombie movies. But hey at least it is not the worst zombie movie I have seen.

Cough* Resident Evil: Extinction. House of the Dead 1 and 2 Cough*

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 17:37:50

At 6/5/10 05:35 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: yep I should have seen it coming. But even so I still needed to watch it, even if I knew it was going to be bad. I Kind of try to watch all zombie movies. But hey at least it is not the worst zombie movie I have seen.
Cough* Resident Evil: Extinction. House of the Dead 1 and 2 Cough*

cough* resident evil movie thats in the making *cough

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 18:01:09

At 6/5/10 05:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/5/10 05:14 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I've actually gotten numerous PMs in the past about people complaining to me for locking their thread.
muahahahahahaha

I guess some users are so stupid thst they don't even know that users that are real mods. Yay! Everybody can be a mod! That's so awesome.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 18:17:29

At 6/5/10 06:09 PM, angryglacier wrote:
At 6/5/10 06:01 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Everybody can be a mod! That's so awesome.
Keep talking and I'll ban you fifty-50

Oh crap, the police are on to me! You'll never ban me alive copper! >:D

LOL?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 20:07:55

At 6/5/10 05:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
muahahahahahaha

Wait, what?
DAMN YOU TOAS!!!!!!!!!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 20:17:09

Sorry bout the double post, but.....
Has anybody noticed lately that all the art tree links are broken?
Every time you attempt to view someone's scouts it takes you to this. If you want to view their scouts, you have to replace "1" with their username.....

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-05 20:18:35

At 6/5/10 08:17 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Sorry bout the double post, but.....
Has anybody noticed lately that all the art tree links are broken?
Every time you attempt to view someone's scouts it takes you to this. If you want to view their scouts, you have to replace "1" with their username.....

yeah that was brought up a while ago, by luxembourg i think, toas said the admins are messing about with the system or something and that itll be fixed soon

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 04:48:52

wow.... I am fucking drunk... >.>... just ask nae she heard me...

anyway... whats going on guys? Anything good?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 05:11:08

At 6/6/10 04:48 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: wow.... I am fucking drunk... >.>... just ask nae she heard me...

Taken on a new project, namely fixing up the Writing Forum, which is a complete wreck.
We need a set of rules of guidelines over there so that we can have a workable environment where creative juices can flow.

Jjjjjuuuuuuiiiccccces.

Such a dirty word.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 05:23:53

At 6/6/10 04:48 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: wow.... I am fucking drunk... >.>... just ask nae she heard me...

+50 points for being able to type while drunk. Or sitting borderline between 20/20 and mildly fuzzy?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 05:32:59

At 6/6/10 05:11 AM, RNNR wrote:
Taken on a new project, namely fixing up the Writing Forum, which is a complete wreck.

You'll have to explain to me how the Writing forum is more of a wreck than the Art forum is.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 05:50:42

At 6/6/10 05:23 AM, Lintire wrote:

+50 points for being able to type while drunk. Or sitting borderline between 20/20 and mildly fuzzy?

no.... I'm drunk.... not shit faced.... bit drunk as hell... bout another glass or so and I'll enter the realm of shit faced....

I have wiped out over a half of a bottle of scotch by my self tonight.,.... Good bye to my kidneys and liver, they were good while I knew them...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:01:55

At 6/6/10 05:32 AM, Re2deemer wrote:
At 6/6/10 05:11 AM, RNNR wrote:
You'll have to explain to me how the Writing forum is more of a wreck than the Art forum is.

Well just from browsing through it quickly, there are 3 pages of threads, and 1 lock
That 1 lock was a scam thread.

Either all those threads are great and only a few major or minor flaws or there's no guidelines for moderation or minimum requirement for thread quality.

my moneys on the latter, but it's a lot harder to moderate writing than it is art, and a lot more work

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:14:48

question to the mod.
this is mostly trolling.
As we all know, some threads are specifically aimed for trolling, right? So My main question is how do we define trolling around here and should we report the thread via PM to a mod if we suspected trolling?

If a user is being an ass for no given reason, isn't that grounds for banning? Not even if they are intentionally trying to be funny? What if extreme responses arise completely unprovoked. Should we consider that an act of trolling?

Lastly, not really asking for any sort of favoritism, but should regulars be held to not only a higher standard, but as well considered more trustworthy than those who are not regulars?

I would really like some answers, but I guess you could brush this off as some ramblings of a drunk man.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:20:52

At 6/6/10 05:11 AM, RNNR wrote: Taken on a new project, namely fixing up the Writing Forum, which is a complete wreck.
We need a set of rules of guidelines over there so that we can have a workable environment where creative juices can flow.

I was reading through the lounge post, and it does seem that it's very easy there for the guys to get their knackers in a twist.

For the most part, I agree with what Ass-Crumb said, and either ignore posts that piss you off, or ask a mod to clean it up. Some of the guys in there are horribly petty. There's a few in there who have aspirations of modship, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:24:23

At 6/6/10 06:20 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/6/10 05:11 AM, RNNR wrote: Taken on a new project, namely fixing up the Writing Forum, which is a complete wreck.
I was reading through the lounge post, and it does seem that it's very easy there for the guys to get their knackers in a twist.

For the most part, I agree with what Ass-Crumb said, and either ignore posts that piss you off, or ask a mod to clean it up. Some of the guys in there are horribly petty. There's a few in there who have aspirations of modship, too.

funny thing is, this gives me a piece of mind over my own little question as well, but in all truth, sometimes we all get called out and it it very, very hard to be mature about it and even ignore some things.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:38:03

Took a peek in the lounge to see what toas was talking about
My god I'd go mad in those threads, I'm all for well thought out posts but you could write a story from some of those.
I can understand the forums basis is writing but not every response has to be an essay

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:44:52

At 6/6/10 06:14 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: As we all know, some threads are specifically aimed for trolling, right?

Yes.

So My main question is how do we define trolling around here

People who make the effort to piss you off.

and should we report the thread via PM to a mod if we suspected trolling?

Yes. I'd prefer AIM, tbh, since we're more likely to respond rapidly.

If a user is being an ass for no given reason, isn't that grounds for banning? Not even if they are intentionally trying to be funny?

Subject to opinion.
If they're trying to be funny, I ... wouldn't?
If they're trying to be funny ... but they're not funny, has no cause, and just being a dick, I'll ban them.

and a villian muahahaha
What if extreme responses arise completely unprovoked. Should we consider that an act of trolling?

Hum, I think I know what you're talking about.
No, it's just that some people can't take crit. They should be left alone, so that they can wallow in the shit they created, since they can't be helped, and are unwilling to change.

Lastly, not really asking for any sort of favoritism, but should regulars be held to not only a higher standard, but as well considered more trustworthy than those who are not regulars?

Whilst this doesn't mean that whatever side of the argument you or your fellow reg takes is the right one, you are more trustworthy than a visitor.

Case in point, you guys are more likely to be allowed to run a collab, even if you don't have the requirements. Of course it's favoritism, but that tends to be built on familiarity. Both with the user, and how the forum works.

Case studies:
Nantes
Not a troll, but got a ban. Simply because he was attempting to have an argument ... without an argument. When people are volatile and unreasonable like this, and a horrible disruption to the flow of a thread, they should get a ban. For other users, and his own.

physcopath
Not a troll, can't take criticism.
I admire the response you took to this kinsei, and would be the best way to handle this situation.

"You have just proven that you cannot take a critique properly ... I'm sorry I have taken my time to try and help critique your art. If it has offended you, then I apologize for that as well. ... Thank you for your time, and have a great day. I have no further reason to post in this thread."

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:51:54

physcopath
I admire the response you took to this kinsei, and would be the best way to handle this situation.

"You have just proven that you cannot take a critique properly ... I'm sorry I have taken my time to try and help critique your art. If it has offended you, then I apologize for that as well. ... Thank you for your time, and have a great day. I have no further reason to post in this thread."

I take it counter-ranting is bad, then?
Still, this has helped define what Art-forum trolling really is. I can now safely live in the knowledge that if some crazy asylum person tries to assault society in general with a tablet, I'll be able to tell that from 'normal' people assualting society in general with a tablet. Fun times.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 06:55:16

At 6/6/10 06:44 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: physcopath

ToaS, I have to thank you for this, I have been kind of screwing up lately, both on the Forum and in life and my confidence has been quite shaken. Its obvious all all over the place and I can tell. I guess this is why I have gone in to trying to help Bob so much. I guess I thought if I could have helped someone else I could have felt better about myself. So thank you ToaS, I know what you just said isn't much, but saying I handled that well meant a lot to me. it was something I needed.
I'll continue to try and be a better regular in the future,

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 07:05:19

Honestly, when the times comes for it, kinsei's one of the best we have around here for critiques. Other people have valid points and helpful advice as well when it comes to helping the occasional guy out, but no one things them out to the level kinsei does.

On other people who help people out, telling people to find a tutorial on something is great, but without linking one or suggesting an artist who does good ones its just about as good as giving someone a map with no landmarks on it.

There are A LOT of tutorials, some better than others, and some by people who frankly should not be giving advice to anyone. Fishing through these can be tedious, I know, I've done my share of it.
When I come across one that's particularly helpful to me, I bookmark it and share that with other people who are looking for something along the lines of it.

It just kind of urks me that people seem so eager to help, but don't feel like putting in the effort to give some proper help.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 07:38:47

At 6/6/10 07:05 AM, M-Vero wrote: It just kind of urks me that people seem so eager to help, but don't feel like putting in the effort to give some proper help.

This pretty much describes why I don't critique nearly as much as I could. Most of the stuff submitted isn't really looking for a real honest critique. What they want is just some pointless comments praising them and stroking their ego, instead of listening to what is being told to them. Although in their defense the majority of people who do give critiques aren't much better. They either don't take the full effort to figure out what will be useful to the person and what is just flapping their lips. A successful critique requires willing participation from both sides of the criticism. The artist needs to be willing to listen to and aknowledge what people are saying, and the critiquer needs to know their own limitations.
What I really wish would happen is for artists to stop putting up 100% finished work that they did for shits and giggles and asking for an in depth analysis of something that doesn't even warrant a critique. And for critiquers to stop feeling like they know everything. It pisses me off when an artist gets overly defensive or posts absolute rubbish, but its even more annoying when people start talking out of their asses and give miserably poor, or completely incorrect advice.
I suppose the biggest reason why I dont critique nearly as much as I could or should is because most of the stuff is so far from being anywhere near good that it would take nothing short of 4 full posts to even begin to tell the person what they did wrong or how they can improve. And I would rather say nothing than short change someone.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-06-06 07:56:14

At 6/6/10 07:38 AM, ornery wrote: This pretty much describes why I don't critique nearly as much as I could. Most of the stuff submitted isn't really looking for a real honest critique. What they want is just some pointless comments praising them and stroking their ego, instead of listening to what is being told to them. Although in their defense the majority of people who do give critiques aren't much better. They either don't take the full effort to figure out what will be useful to the person and what is just flapping their lips. A successful critique requires willing participation from both sides of the criticism. The artist needs to be willing to listen to and aknowledge what people are saying, and the critiquer needs to know their own limitations.
What I really wish would happen is for artists to stop putting up 100% finished work that they did for shits and giggles and asking for an in depth analysis of something that doesn't even warrant a critique. And for critiquers to stop feeling like they know everything. It pisses me off when an artist gets overly defensive or posts absolute rubbish, but its even more annoying when people start talking out of their asses and give miserably poor, or completely incorrect advice.
I suppose the biggest reason why I dont critique nearly as much as I could or should is because most of the stuff is so far from being anywhere near good that it would take nothing short of 4 full posts to even begin to tell the person what they did wrong or how they can improve. And I would rather say nothing than short change someone.

Well, guilty on all accounts - I tend to just point out an error or two, add some comment on what they could improve but no indication as to show them HOW, basically labeling me as the average douche-bag criticizer. Well, I do like to fool myself into thinking that I hand out good reviews and critiques using the review functions, I'm still undeniably a degenerate when it comes to the Art forum itself. Kind of eye-opening - while I still won't bother with running over the whole thing, not having the time to write 4 full odd posts, I'll still try and add more length, meaning, and general helpfulness to those who bravely expose themselves on this forum.
Kind of like being a douche-bag, though. Saved writing anything more than two lines on anyone's thread. Being a genuinely helpful stepping stone to any artists would be much more rewarding for both members of the party - it's decided, no more intentional douchebaggery on my part.
Starting tomorrow.