00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

961,490 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 19:14:11

I had an idea about what else to do recently and I'm not sure whether to carry on with it or just try something else. This idea I had was to try an art style similar to a scanner darkly where they look realistic, but still look like something out of pages from a comic book. everything is will be free-hand, but I'll have a photo next to my work area to reference off of. Pic related. I also would like some critiquing on some of my works by better artists so I have an idea of what to improve upon.

tl;dr? I just wanna know about a scanner darkly-style art idea I had and would like some feedback on art I have on my thread.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 19:15:06

At 1/29/08 06:39 PM, Bolo wrote: You guys have heard of Francisco Goya, right?
By the time he painted this, I think Goya was suffering some kind of mental breakdown.
What do you think?

havent known who he was, but i recognize the piece.

suitable as an illustration to "modest proposal" and Zeus's origin story, right?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 19:21:23

At 1/29/08 06:39 PM, Bolo wrote: I recently saw his master work Saturn at the Prado museum in Madrid, and it's mildly frightening to behold in person.

Yea it's mildly frightening to behold as an image on the web, so I imagine it would be pretty creepy in person.

Salvador Dali's "Soft Construction with Boiled Beans" was one of the creepier things I remember seeing in my art class last semester.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 20:01:47

i know its pretty basic but what do you think?

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 20:02:25

At 1/29/08 08:01 PM, Revolation wrote: i know its pretty basic but what do you think?

Too small, I can barely see it! Looks good though.

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 20:04:27

At 1/29/08 08:02 PM, raveninskyprime wrote:
At 1/29/08 08:01 PM, Revolation wrote: i know its pretty basic but what do you think?
Too small, I can barely see it! Looks good though.

Sorry heres a bigger version.

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 22:07:19

At 1/29/08 03:17 PM, ChillyCheese wrote:
At 1/29/08 03:12 PM, Darkaxl wrote:
Personaly it's a bad idea , but hey-ho whatever Bmk want's Bmk gets.
I dont think its a bad idea, it's a good place for people to discuss techniques, or the people who need to ask something art related but have nothing to show can post.

I think it's a great idea!

I had an idea for an art forum project (back in Dec, but with the holidays, I just couldn't get it organized). Would anyone be interested in an Art Forum Calender? It would be run like a contest... with 12 winners (one for each month). The winners getting a free (printed) calender, and anyone else could buy one. We could do a June start month (hey, it's newgrounds, everything is a little 'off') ...or is that a lame idea that no one would take part in??! Feedback appreciated!

BMK is God! (well, co-god... or whatever)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 23:02:22

At 1/29/08 10:07 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
I had an idea for an art forum project (back in Dec, but with the holidays, I just couldn't get it organized). Would anyone be interested in an Art Forum Calender? It would be run like a contest... with 12 winners (one for each month). The winners getting a free (printed) calender, and anyone else could buy one. We could do a June start month (hey, it's newgrounds, everything is a little 'off') ...or is that a lame idea that no one would take part in??! Feedback appreciated!

I think that is a marvelous idea, personally, I'd love a Newgrounds artist's calendar on my wall, I might even try out for one of the gloomier months. It would be so awesome to see some of the creative shit that people can do when they have their heart into it.

BMK is God! (well, co-god... or whatever)

Flattery, my dear, will get you everywhere.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-29 23:10:08

At 1/29/08 07:15 PM, kernalphage wrote: suitable as an illustration to "modest proposal" and Zeus's origin story, right?

Yes I do believe this is an illustration of Zeus's origin. I did some research, and apparently, Goya painted that picture directly on the wall of his home in 1819, and it had to be later transferred to canvas.

Peter Paul Rubens painted a more classically-styled version of the same idea two hundred years earlier. I believe that Goya was inspired by Rubens's work, but what I like about Goya's piece is that it's not as concerned with proportions and beauty, as it is about raw emotion. The derangement of Saturn, while clearly visible in both pictures, is more darkly expressed in Goya's rendering than Rubens's more classical approach, below.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 00:18:04

At 1/29/08 11:02 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:

that sounds pretty good. I'm down for that. I hope enough talent contributes because this is something I'd actually like to see.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 03:44:29

At 1/29/08 07:14 PM, P-51 wrote: I had an idea about what else to do recently and I'm not sure whether to carry on with it or just try something else. This idea I had was to try an art style similar to a scanner darkly where they look realistic, but still look like something out of pages from a comic book. everything is will be free-hand, but I'll have a photo next to my work area to reference off of. Pic related. I also would like some critiquing on some of my works by better artists so I have an idea of what to improve upon.

tl;dr? I just wanna know about a scanner darkly-style art idea I had and would like some feedback on art I have on my thread.

You know I just finished watching that movie, cool concept but lacking as a film.

That style would be awesome but you should take cell shading or rendering more respectively if you were to do a comic, there were alot of scenes where the colours blended into the background and it lacked depth.

The best parts I thought were where they used minimal colour and created such a realistic atmosphere.

Anyway I really like this thread, I appreciate the fact we can talk about these things rather then have something related come up in a thread only to be destroyed by mspaint threads that push all the most interesting stuff away.

It would be nice to see some really good discussion here and interesting points made that could actually help people and perhaps inspire them to create.

P.S The art calender idea sounds great, I already have ideas flowing. I think a loose, all-out approach would be good, but there would have to be a theme of some kind to blend it all into one overall piece.

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 17:45:43

Gasp! The art forum lounge is about to get 2nd paged!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 17:50:57

I had an idea for an art forum project (back in Dec, but with the holidays, I just couldn't get it organized). Would anyone be interested in an Art Forum Calender?

Phenomenal idea! I think that would make for some killer entries. I can only imagine what October would bring. Would we get extra cool points for including NG characters? It would be cool to see all of our favorite critters in different settings!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 17:52:16

No that will never happen.

GOGOGO

madgodzilla@hotmail.co.uk Feel free to add me.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 17:53:39

this is the second page moron,
awesome taste in art everyone
i would like to ask one thing it has nothing to do with this i think, nor with the flash forum on some level,
but it might be the only kind of movie i can make so can someone explain to me how to do this
pencil-animation-with-idk-what
pls explain :(

my user page, visit, leave a comment, help out

I don't paint, if you want a sketch or a graphic black & white drawing call me ;) Check my DeviantArt site :)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 17:58:46

At 1/30/08 05:53 PM, Gromuluss wrote: this is the second page moron,
awesome taste in art everyone
i would like to ask one thing it has nothing to do with this i think, nor with the flash forum on some level,
but it might be the only kind of movie i can make so can someone explain to me how to do this
pencil-animation-with-idk-what
pls explain :(

I meant 2nd page on the forum.....

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 18:14:07

As good as the intentions of this topic are, I doubt this place will make it to page 4 before the spamming or small kids start RPG'ing in it. *paintz u a picture XD*

or crap like this:

"hey guys look at dis thing i painted

art_that_I_stole.jpg"

The BBS lacks the ability to have a lounge thread and not ruin it entirely. I mean look at Clubs and Crews. What a trainwreck.

Oh well.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 18:24:41

At 1/30/08 06:14 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: As good as the intentions of this topic are, I doubt this place will make it to page 4 before the spamming or small kids start RPG'ing in it. *paintz u a picture XD*

or crap like this:

art_that_I_stole.jpg"

The BBS lacks the ability to have a lounge thread and not ruin it entirely. I mean look at Clubs and Crews. What a trainwreck.

Oh well.

HHmmm... Youve made an interesting point. But we will have to see what happends.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 19:41:15

At 1/30/08 06:14 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: As good as the intentions of this topic are, I doubt this place will make it to page 4 before the spamming or small kids start RPG'ing in it. *paintz u a picture XD*

or crap like this:

art_that_I_stole.jpg"

Oh well.

But won't posting in such a high traffic (hopefully) thread mean the banhammer can be brought much faster?

As far as I can tell, this will shape up nicely.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 19:45:08

I'm still rather confused on what this topic is about. Just chill and hang?

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 19:57:30

At 1/30/08 07:45 PM, McJesus wrote: I'm still rather confused on what this topic is about. Just chill and hang?

Yeah, now lurkers like myself have a thread to post in.

Speaking of which, what does everyone think about well-intentioned lurkers. I tend to contribute to the Pokemon Fusions thread, but what about people who like to criticize art but have no talent?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 20:16:06

At 1/30/08 07:45 PM, McJesus wrote: I'm still rather confused on what this topic is about. Just chill and hang?

Chill, hang, share, build a sense of community in the forum. I'm still optimistic about it. =]

At 1/30/08 07:57 PM, AMP-d wrote:
Speaking of which, what does everyone think about well-intentioned lurkers. I tend to contribute to the Pokemon Fusions thread, but what about people who like to criticize art but have no talent?

My feelings are thus; You don't have to make a film to have an opinion on one, you don't have to be a chef to know when the food you're eating sucks, you don't have to be an artist to be an art critic. If you have suggestions for an artist to take note of, share them.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 21:58:34

My feelings are thus; You don't have to make a film to have an opinion on one, you don't have to be a chef to know when the food you're eating sucks, you don't have to be an artist to be an art critic. If you have suggestions for an artist to take note of, share them.

i love those kind of people (used to hate em lol), they're the ones who always seem to point of the nitty gritty so to speak. they'll tell you what they don't like or what looks bad , and never go into more technical terms like, anatomy or shading. They also seem to help me best with creativity. I get better idea's from them.

With that said, i'd still like another artists perspective along with a non-artists perspective. Can u blame me?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-30 23:00:54

im sort of agreeing with zekey...as much as id like an artistic hangout...i doubt itll happen...i mean so far all ive seen (well, its still artists, and their art) but a lil more gruesome...now im just saying that i woulda held off on that stuff until this thread was identified as not spammy...because quite frankly if the first peices are all going to be of morbidity, it doesnt start too good...

but, it could just be coincidence, some curious person wanting others opinion on a peice of art he may have stumbled upon this early in the thread...all i know is its hard to tell, and from past experiences...this may not end up too well...

i was more hoping a place for full on criticism, technique, learning background, resources to share with other newgrounders (but im not sure) so ill wait and see which way this train turns, and if it wrecks ill have some peace in knowing that the only post by me, is thisn...

good idea...lets see it attempt to survive though...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 00:02:38

At 1/30/08 06:24 PM, Revolation wrote:

or crap like this:

art_that_I_stole.jpg"

Oh well.

and this is why we can't have nice things. it doesn't help that some 13 year olds tend to be fond of drawing penises. what ever happened to being obsessed with drawing tits?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 01:24:20

At 1/30/08 06:14 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: The BBS lacks the ability to have a lounge thread and not ruin it entirely. I mean look at Clubs and Crews. What a trainwreck.

Oh well.

I dunno about that. I'm over in Politics pretty regularly, and they keep their lounge thread about as clean as a bar of soap doused in a massive vat of Lysol.

Spammers are deleted, or ignored, and seldom venture into Politics, anyways. Regulars just chat about anything, not even, necessarily, Politics, per se.

I think this idea could work if a few people come together and care enough to make it so.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 07:33:39

I dunno honestly what to discuss about at this moment here at this "Art Forum Lounge". But i had to drop by, so yeah. Happy holidays?

might think of something one day

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 09:29:54

So, how about that weather, eh?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 13:55:30

anyone remember me? anyway, I'm working on a game and need ideas for a background to make, I'm currently doing a sci-fi / future one, and need ideas to add in...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2008-01-31 17:40:32

Look, you clowns, if you want an "artisti hangout" then make it happen yourselves instead of complaining.
What is it you want? Think about that and do it.

Personally, I want this:

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature