Be a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

  • 568,371 Views
  • 17,511 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 19:16:25 Reply

so, uhh, whats up guys :P

Fatchaos
Fatchaos
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 20:10:20 Reply

At 1/22/09 07:16 PM, x-factor11 wrote: so, uhh, whats up guys :P

Nice weather, isn't it?
The hell it is.

I wish people were a bit more open & active here in the art forums, since commenting has not yet been proved to cause anything fatal. Oh, and anybody have a clue when the NG Skecthbooktour '09 is starting, because I saw the '08 edition, and was all fired up. I gotta take a part in this year's effort!


Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.
My art thread, starting from pg 18
See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature
Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 21:35:31 Reply

At 1/22/09 08:10 PM, Fatchaos wrote:
At 1/22/09 07:16 PM, x-factor11 wrote: so, uhh, whats up guys :P
Nice weather, isn't it?
The hell it is.

I wish people were a bit more open & active here in the art forums, since commenting has not yet been proved to cause anything fatal. Oh, and anybody have a clue when the NG Skecthbooktour '09 is starting, because I saw the '08 edition, and was all fired up. I gotta take a part in this year's effort!

probably cus a lot of flash animators have no interest in artistic appreciation. just funny dialogue, humor, and sprites...

also, the flash forum is just flooded with help topics and questions, not much pertaining to their animation critique.


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 22:17:53 Reply

At 1/22/09 08:10 PM, Fatchaos wrote:
At 1/22/09 07:16 PM, x-factor11 wrote: so, uhh, whats up guys :P
Nice weather, isn't it?
The hell it is.

I wish people were a bit more open & active here in the art forums, since commenting has not yet been proved to cause anything fatal.

Yeah. There's ZERO sense of community here in the Art Forum... it's pretty sad. I guess I'm just use to the Flash Forum Lounge... people know each other, or get to know each other by just talking about whatever. But this thread has never taken off. Maybe it's s full of random passer-by's that spam their ms-paint crap and don't stick around, and/or art snobs that are too busy (or think they're too good) for casual conversation. I dunno.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 23:01:27 Reply

On a completely unrelated note:

http://99designs.com/

It's a website where you can enter 'contests' (designing logos, site layouts, etc) and win money. If anyone has ever won, or wins anything there, I'd love to hear about it!! :D

tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-22 23:28:32 Reply

topic of conversation for the creation of more art forum comradery:

is anyone currently aiming for an art-related degree in college? anyone enrolled in a private art college? I ask because with my senior year of high school coming up, I'm totally worried that I won't be good enough to get accepted by the time I graduate.

portfolios like these set the bar pretty high. :-/

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-23 16:02:24 Reply

At 1/22/09 11:28 PM, tmkunt wrote: is anyone currently aiming for an art-related degree in college? anyone enrolled in a private art college?

I go to a normal university (university of maryland: baltimore county // umbc). I'm here for visual arts: animation/interactive media. I haven't taken any art classes cus there's a lot of gen eds being a university...i applied and got into the program with a lot of original paintings and drawings.

portfolios like these set the bar pretty high. :-/

It really depends what you're going for. that portfolio is good. however, to me it's so boring and a lot of it is dull colors. yeah, they can make pseudo-photorealistic artwork, but a lot of it has to do with where you wanna go with your art degree.

for example, i applied as animation, and all my drawings and paintings are detailed fantasy-related, vibrant, orgasmic pieces. Not dullcolored pictures of people. I also submitted a couple flash movies.

content really does have a large influence besides photo-realistic drawing ability. do you have a portfolio to show us?


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-23 16:21:51 Reply

At 1/23/09 04:02 PM, Starogre wrote: content really does have a large influence besides photo-realistic drawing ability. do you have a portfolio to show us?

nah. like I said, I've still got another year to build one up, I'm just sort of freaking out a little early.
I was hoping to try and get into a private school (specificallly, CCAD) but the hefty tuition cost is making me sweat.

Fatchaos
Fatchaos
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-23 17:48:21 Reply

nah. like I said, I've still got another year to build one up, I'm just sort of freaking out a little early.
I was hoping to try and get into a private school (specificallly, CCAD) but the hefty tuition cost is making me sweat.

Don't sweat it too much, stress usually makes you a bad artist. Private schools tend to be a little expensive, but like in so many other things in life: Quality costs.

Btw, learning art ounds quite reasonable, all I ever have learned has come from my own hands... not the best way to learn. I rarely even practice at all. Guess that's one reason I stick with my current style so much.


Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.
My art thread, starting from pg 18
See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature
AutoTank
AutoTank
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-23 18:20:44 Reply

:) Hi everyone, I'm like... a new guy here :O. How are you all doing?

Fatchaos
Fatchaos
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-23 20:31:55 Reply

At 1/23/09 06:20 PM, AutoTank wrote:
) Hi everyone, I'm like... a new guy here :O. How are you all doing?

Quite well, welcome aboard. Obey the rules & you will be fine. Mostly...
The community here is a rather strange one...


Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.
My art thread, starting from pg 18
See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature
AutoTank
AutoTank
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 06:39:17 Reply

At 1/23/09 08:31 PM, Fatchaos wrote: Quite well, welcome aboard. Obey the rules & you will be fine. Mostly...

heh, I hope so ^_^.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 10:49:58 Reply

At 1/23/09 05:48 PM, Fatchaos wrote: Quality costs.

Btw, learning art ounds quite reasonable, all I ever have learned has come from my own hands... not the best way to learn.

Actually, it's a great way to learn. Although there are assignments in school where they force you to go outside your boundaries and try different styles and loosen up, i haven't really learned ANYTHING from my art teachers. The only things they have done are giving out assignments that require different styles and mediums. Technically this could be achieved on my own, but as of now, I've learned more by just looking on the internet and trying to imitate styles of amazing artists. Concept art websites help a lot with this.


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Member since: Apr. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 12:45:39 Reply

At 1/22/09 11:28 PM, tmkunt wrote: topic of conversation for the creation of more art forum comradery:

is anyone currently aiming for an art-related degree in college? anyone enrolled in a private art college? I ask because with my senior year of high school coming up, I'm totally worried that I won't be good enough to get accepted by the time I graduate.

portfolios like these set the bar pretty high. :-/

I'm at a private art school and portfolios really aren't that big of a deal. They aren't as big as people make them out to be, but I guess that depends on what school. I know the ones I applied for don't really care if you have a portfolio, since they know some people never really had art classes in high school, so they don't have that much work. Portfolios are mainly to get scholarships for SCAD at least.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. There are a lot of people that goto art school that have no art skill at all, they goto school for that.

AutoTank
AutoTank
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 13:26:07 Reply

At 1/24/09 10:49 AM, Starogre wrote: Actually, it's a great way to learn. Although there are assignments in school where they force you to go outside your boundaries and try different styles and loosen up, i haven't really learned ANYTHING from my art teachers. The only things they have done are giving out assignments that require different styles and mediums. Technically this could be achieved on my own, but as of now, I've learned more by just looking on the internet and trying to imitate styles of amazing artists. Concept art websites help a lot with this.

I have to agree with you starogre. I have never really learned much from art lessons. I've learned much more just through this site in a couple of months than I learnt during art lessons to be honest. I'm not saying that studying about art doesn't teach you anything. Learning about anatomy can be a huge help.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 13:45:34 Reply

At 1/24/09 01:26 PM, AutoTank wrote:
I have to agree with you starogre. I have never really learned much from art lessons. I've learned much more just through this site in a couple of months than I learnt during art lessons to be honest. I'm not saying that studying about art doesn't teach you anything. Learning about anatomy can be a huge help.

Yeah. Newgrounds has been a huge influence and a great teacher. It's a great and easy way for masses of people to share their art and styles with each other. The more good animation you watch, the more stylistic you can become in your art after you practice of course. You just have to pick out the little details and how artists achieved what they did in their pieces.


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
AutoTank
AutoTank
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 14:07:17 Reply

At 1/24/09 01:45 PM, Starogre wrote: Yeah. Newgrounds has been a huge influence and a great teacher. It's a great and easy way for masses of people to share their art and styles with each other. The more good animation you watch, the more stylistic you can become in your art after you practice of course. You just have to pick out the little details and how artists achieved what they did in their pieces.

Yep :). I started getting really into art on the artix entertainment forums(I'm sure you've seen banners here for there games, adventure quest, dragonfable etc.). The art of some of there later games are pretty awesome, so my art is influencedn a lot by them. Then you have people like Adam Phillips on this site who I've been influenced by a lot.

FrostedMonkeyFlakes
FrostedMonkeyFlakes
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 14:36:04 Reply

I looked into art school briefly when I was younger... University of Art Academy of San Fransisco to be exact. I laughed in the deans face when he told us how much tuition was. I've pretty much given up on my art being anything more than a hobby anyway. As far as portfolios go, unless you are trying for a scholarship they don't matter all that much outside of actually pursuing a career. As long as you are handing them the checks they're happy.

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 15:08:37 Reply

At 1/24/09 12:45 PM, nathanielmilburn wrote: Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. There are a lot of people that goto art school that have no art skill at all, they goto school for that.

point taken, thou its nice to have a portfolio to show off :P

McJesus
McJesus
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 20:50:01 Reply

At 1/22/09 10:17 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Yeah. There's ZERO sense of community here in the Art Forum...

I like to think the Metropolis Disaster collab has a certain sense of togetherness.. :)

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 21:13:50 Reply

a girl i know goes to an art school and she says they are completely insane and none of the people are normal. all the traditional, fine artists are probably crazy according to her experiences there. animation students on the other hand, at my normal university, are more nerdy than insane or emo or whatever. i'm wondering what an actual ANIMATION school would be like. probably a lot of newgrounds type people...who knows now i'm just ranting


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-24 23:10:18 Reply

there better be insane people at a art college..
it just wouldn't be the same..

Captain
Captain
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 16:06:11 Reply

I'd like to slap Renaenaynaynenay on the wrists for saying that the art forum isn't a community, granted i don't think everyone's as chummy as they could be. But i know that in the maybe year, year an a half i've been posting here i've made some friends who i regularly critique and talk to, i don't think we can say that the art forum is a full-fledged community, but i think it's a little more than just random passerby's :-P


Look at my art!

BBS Signature
AutoTank
AutoTank
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 16:11:01 Reply

At 1/25/09 04:06 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: I'd like to slap Renaenaynaynenay on the wrists for saying that the art forum isn't a community, granted i don't think everyone's as chummy as they could be. But i know that in the maybe year, year an a half i've been posting here i've made some friends who i regularly critique and talk to, i don't think we can say that the art forum is a full-fledged community, but i think it's a little more than just random passerby's :-P

The art forum doesn't really seem like that much of a community to me to be honest. I would more be on Renae's side on this one. Although I haven't been posting here too long so I wouldn't know ^_^.

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Member since: Apr. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 18:46:15 Reply

At 1/24/09 09:13 PM, Starogre wrote: a girl i know goes to an art school and she says they are completely insane and none of the people are normal. all the traditional, fine artists are probably crazy according to her experiences there. animation students on the other hand, at my normal university, are more nerdy than insane or emo or whatever. i'm wondering what an actual ANIMATION school would be like. probably a lot of newgrounds type people...who knows now i'm just ranting

I was surprised to see like no one using newgrounds when I came to art school. I figured at least some animation students that even used flash would know about it. Most animation students are a bit nerdy at mine.

magaly
magaly
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 18:58:48 Reply

At 1/22/09 11:28 PM, tmkunt wrote: topic of conversation for the creation of more art forum comradery:

is anyone currently aiming for an art-related degree in college? anyone enrolled in a private art college? I ask because with my senior year of high school coming up, I'm totally worried that I won't be good enough to get accepted by the time I graduate.

portfolios like these set the bar pretty high. :-/

in hs i got accepted to all the private schools i applied to [risd, mica, pratt, svu, yale, saic], getting accepted is easy, they make it out to be a lot more difficult than it really is. the hard part is getting scholarships from any of those schools. as long as you have a decent portfolio showcasing your skills in natural media and a good SAT score/good grades you'll be fine. if you have bad grades, a low score and a bad portfolio then you're out of luck.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Member since: May. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 19:52:24 Reply

At 1/25/09 06:46 PM, nathanielmilburn wrote: I was surprised to see like no one using newgrounds when I came to art school. I figured at least some animation students that even used flash would know about it. Most animation students are a bit nerdy at mine.

yeah, actually when i think about it, all the old newgrounders i've known for the past 5 years that are sweet artists and animators, there's not really THAT many to guarantee at least 3 of them at every school, art schools and universities included.

i wish there were, because so many people START this stuff when they get to school. i wanna be able to talk about similar interests and be on the same level as people. i can't compare myself to anyone but the internet. cus so many artists haven't even touched photoshop or flash in their life...


the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
kernalphage
kernalphage
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 20:10:39 Reply

At 1/25/09 07:52 PM, Starogre wrote: cus so many artists haven't even touched photoshop or flash in their life...

Yeah, it makes the class i'm taking now unbearable.
Graphic Design is filled with kids who thought it'd be an easy A class... and me thinking i'd actually learn something.
Illustrator was okay enough, because I was learning to work cross platform (not used to macs). But Photoshop right now is... BORING.

This is the LASSO TOOL.You can LASO something, then go EDIT, CUT, then EDIT, PASTE. it will be on a new LAYER.

I'm bringing in my tablet and doodling for the rest of the semester.

tmkunt
tmkunt
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 20:49:10 Reply

my tablet's surface is getting really scratched up from gratuitous usage. I find myself wishing that I had asked tom for one last year. :[

that's not going to have an effect on performance, is it?

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-01-25 21:55:54 Reply

At 1/25/09 08:49 PM, tmkunt wrote: my tablet's surface is getting really scratched up from gratuitous usage. I find myself wishing that I had asked tom for one last year. :[

that's not going to have an effect on performance, is it?

I seriously doubt that it would... unless you have some really deep gouges that can trip up your stylus you should be fine.


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature