00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MoxKatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

956,777 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 20:31:06

At 3/3/10 08:17 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I think it's an offense worthy of a ban. No questions asked; if you know it's stolen, their account should be shut down.

well even though you specifically said art, I'm sure you meant flash and audio as well, correct?

Either way, so far we have a call for one of the strictest punishments that a website can preform.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 20:36:49

At 3/3/10 08:31 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 3/3/10 08:17 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I think it's an offense worthy of a ban. No questions asked; if you know it's stolen, their account should be shut down.
well even though you specifically said art, I'm sure you meant flash and audio as well, correct?

Either way, so far we have a call for one of the strictest punishments that a website can preform.

Well, I was mostly thinking of art. Audio and flash as well, but flash isn't quite as easy to steal as art is. Same applies, though.
This is a site for submitting personal (and sometimes collaborative) creations. Lying about that just isn't right.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 20:41:28

At 3/3/10 08:36 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 3/3/10 08:31 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Either way, so far we have a call for one of the strictest punishments that a website can preform.
Well, I was mostly thinking of art. Audio and flash as well, but flash isn't quite as easy to steal as art is. Same applies, though.

I thought so, But I want to bring this discussion up about all forms of art.

Do you think is if foolish of Mills to claim that the preset loop was his even though he also states all he did was change the name and add one explosion sound effect?
Should his punish be lighter or more severe?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:14:57

At 3/3/10 08:41 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Should his punish be lighter or more severe?

Is this his first time doing this sort of thing?

If so, the punishment should be light. He might not know his internet common law.

However, repeat offences of similar nature ought to be zero tolerance.

At least theft around here isn't a fucking stupid as DeviantArt.

Look at this fucking retard. He and whoever faved this ought to be shot.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:19:53

At 3/3/10 09:14 PM, Felis wrote: Look at this fucking retard. He and whoever faved this ought to be shot.

Lolol, i left a comment to it also.

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:24:58

Did I miss something? What's up with all this Aweso nonsense? Too cool to finish your words now, kids these days.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:26:48

At 3/3/10 09:24 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Did I miss something? What's up with all this Aweso nonsense? Too cool to finish your words now, kids these days.

No, it was something on skype or stickam, twas lols

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:31:59

The more you look into this guy, the more amazing he becomes.

Art Forum Lounge

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:32:40

At 3/3/10 09:31 PM, Felis wrote: The more you look into this guy, the more amazing he becomes.

Im about to lol more and more and more

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:46:12

Art/Audio/Flash Theft

Theft is a major problem on any site where users submit content, as despicable as it is it's something that many, many users think they can get away with. I think that almost everyone sees something from time to time that they wish they had made, I guess people with weaker wills give into temptation then and claim it as their own. Thieves around here do get caught, they do get punished, sometimes with account deletion. In a perfect world it wouldn't happen, but this is Newgrounds.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:47:39

At 3/3/10 09:31 PM, Felis wrote: The more you look into this guy, the more amazing he becomes.

That made me fucking laugh so hard. This guy is either blind or ignorant, or both.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:48:21

At 3/3/10 09:46 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: In a perfect world it wouldn't happen, but this is Newgrounds.

Ooah!
It's totally a perfect world here, but we're the ones keeping the dumbasses out of the perfect world. You know, like ethnic cleansing.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:48:35

At 3/3/10 09:47 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote:
That made me fucking laugh so hard. This guy is either blind or ignorant, or both.

No, I would imagine hes smarter than bill gates

no shit lolol

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:54:05

At 3/3/10 09:46 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Art/Audio/Flash Theft

But... what is being done to prevent, and what is done to the users that violate those rules other than a slap on the wrist?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:55:18

At 3/3/10 09:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
But... what is being done to prevent, and what is done to the users that violate those rules other than a slap on the wrist?

Chop off the wrist, I'd say.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 21:57:04

At 3/3/10 09:48 PM, Snowman wrote:
At 3/3/10 09:47 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote:
At 3/3/10 09:31 PM, Felis wrote:

No, I would imagine hes smarter than bill gates

no shit lolol

Touche.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 22:05:44

Just commented on that pic.
Did anybody else notice that he spelled wolf wrong?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 22:17:39

At 3/3/10 09:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:

As far as prevention goes, I don't know what can be done other than what is being done, having mods who try to sniff out stolen things and listen when the users tell them that something is amiss. When reports of theft come in we check them out.

For punishments, the worst that can be done, as far as I know (in cases of theft), is account deletion, which does happen, not so much for art but definitely for Flash. Bans for the art portal is something that happens for repeated offenders, and, as you know, deletion of uploads and being removed from the scouting tree.

I am interested in what users suggest be done as far as prevention and punishment. If something sounds like a good idea we can pass it on and see if something can be changed. =]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 22:46:11

At 3/3/10 10:17 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
I am interested in what users suggest be done as far as prevention and punishment. If something sounds like a good idea we can pass it on and see if something can be changed. =]

I will be one of the first to admit that pretty much anything we suggest will not be a 100% complete against art theft.
so suggestions, no matter how good they sound will be always flawes in the most we can do is Perm IP Ban. But Some users just don't care.

any one else got input

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 22:53:25

Being the terrible person that I am, all I can think of is to shun the person so completely that their soul is crushed and they cry themself to sleep and/or an emo-related suicide.
Don't think of it as cruelty... Think of it as stress relief for forum regs. You could make it into a hobby or a sport. Timed competitions, that sort of thing.

my mind is an aweso place to be

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-03 23:08:38

I wouldn't say trivial so much as bizarre. Trivial just doesn't fit. Besides, everyone gets that urge to soul-crush when thinking about stolen art.

well, I and several others I know, so I'm going to generalize and just make it "everyone"

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 06:06:13

At 3/3/10 10:17 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I am interested in what users suggest be done as far as prevention and punishment. If something sounds like a good idea we can pass it on and see if something can be changed. =]

I dont think a whole lot can be done about theft on the dark web (dark web=content created by the masses). The whole Idea is the low entry barrier.
You could look at youtubes example; They allow poeple to send them material they own the rights to, and then allow them to choose what they want to do in case someone uploads their stuff. Basically, every new submission is scanned to see if it matches any of the submitted copyright material.
This would mean that youd need an amazingly large library of art, audio and video which doesnt seem plausible.
Another option would be to tineye art automatically, but then you can only look at the number of hits which isnt always a good indicator; It might have been uploaded by the rightfull owner, even though he uploaded it elsewhere before; It might be a referenced drawing (does tineye pick these up?).
If you look at the audio portal, every first submission is reviewed to see if it is indeed legit; that might be able in the art portal, but it has been proven to be no guarantee.

Frankly I think the only real thing we can do is what we do right now.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 11:59:16

So I changed my sig. I didn't cave, I just support J-qb :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 13:43:40

ok its kinda scary how everyone has aweso sigs

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 14:31:50

At 3/4/10 01:43 PM, ashman112 wrote: ok its kinda scary how everyone has aweso sigs

Scary? Possibly.
Funny? Quite. Especially when it's pointing out a fail by Gumby :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 14:34:12

Nah, I find it rather hilarious.
It's just plain aweso!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 14:43:24

ok i need to make myself a crappy one

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 14:52:59

At 3/4/10 02:43 PM, ashman112 wrote: ok i need to make myself a crappy one

Just get Snowman to make one for you.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 15:03:15

At 3/4/10 02:52 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/4/10 02:43 PM, ashman112 wrote: ok i need to make myself a crappy one
Just get Snowman to make one for you.

he did but it wasnt really to my liking

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-03-04 16:48:57

well.....
damn....... I have to go to a alumni mixer tonight... o.0....
lots of people.......
......>.>.....
damn it.
social situations :(......

BBS Signature