00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Good Captains Art Thread

74,347 Views | 618 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-04 17:59:01

At 1/3/09 10:47 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: WIP IT! WIP IT GOoD!

Bollocks me! I love your stencils. Most unusual and original I've ever seen. Excellent work.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-04 18:05:14

ur art is bitchin. i like ur stensils and i love your board pintings. i might have to give the latter a try some time. wut kind of wood did u use in paper, rock, scissors?

HAHhahahahAhaHaha

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-05 16:04:18

Paper rock scissors one was done on a hunk of cherry wood, and the bigger one of the green guy was done on a door, so i'm assuming some form of lighter wood (i want to say possibly pine but i have no idea)

I completely encourage painting on stuff that's not canvas, if you do it make a thread i'll check it out

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-06 22:05:38

took abe into photoshop and cleaned him up so he can be made into a suitable silkscreen

and by the by i just made an account on CampNorth, I'm really digging it. If anyone out there has a camp north account why don't you drop me some love sometime?

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-06 22:27:04

At 1/6/09 10:05 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: took abe into photoshop and cleaned him up so he can be made into a suitable silkscreen

and by the by i just made an account on CampNorth, I'm really digging it. If anyone out there has a camp north account why don't you drop me some love sometime?

FakePlasticLight :3

hit me up

Old art thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /979013

If you love me, you will look at my clothing as well: http://surrealserendipity.bigcartel .com/

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-13 21:17:03

wham bam thank you ma'am! Big stencil i cut over winter break, finally got a chance o spray it.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-13 21:19:04

dammit why is it sideways? here's it right side up

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-13 21:48:17

At 1/13/09 09:19 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: dammit why is it sideways? here's it right side up

you sir,are awesome

If you love me, you will look at my clothing as well: http://surrealserendipity.bigcartel .com/

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-13 22:21:45

right back at you

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-13 22:27:37

At 1/13/09 10:21 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: right back at you

one thin i cant get down on stenciling is shading :<

i cant do it just yet

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-14 11:41:38

its not that hard, start with your linework layer, once that's done set the stencil down on top of another piece of cardboard (or whatever you're cutting it out on) and tape it in place. Then with a pencil just trace out all the holes of the linework onto the other piece of cardboard. then take the linework off and now you have a copy of it drawn on a new piece of cardboard. Using the lines as reference just draw out where you'll want shading and as long as the first layer didn't shift while tracing it should line up

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-17 12:43:00

here some buttons i made for the CampNorth store

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-17 12:44:53

and here's the second one, if you like them, and if Nathaniel puts them in the store, you should go buy one :)

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-21 22:17:22

guess who finally stopped being lazy and made himself a signature?!?!

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-27 21:56:38

so yeah i'm known to make some pretty boss shirts from time to time

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-28 17:04:55

come on guys no comments or crit? i'm thinking of selling these and i want to know what you think

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-28 21:12:07

At 1/17/09 12:43 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: here some buttons i made for the CampNorth store

Didn't know nathaniel did buttons, gotta check that out when it's up.

At 1/27/09 09:56 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: so yeah i'm known to make some pretty boss shirts from time to time

Now thats a grand jaw! Think he deserves some electric pink jeans; make the shirt less grey.

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-28 21:22:24

yeah theres buttons in the store, he's not gonna sell mine though.

and i wanted his socks to be pink so i made his pants grey so they would stand out, maybe i'll make his pockets pink in the next run

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-29 22:39:10

uhm, just as a heads up bee tee dubs, i'm looking into selling prints and shirts online...so if you want anything, it might be possible to get them for a modest fee in the near future

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-30 20:23:51

Another nifty little shirt design, just an old stencil i put on dyed shirt.

what do you think? Something you might buy?

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-01-31 16:41:37

So I have been looking trough your stuff abit, and I got a question about the painting on shirts, in the first few posts there was the discussion if your paint sticked after washing etc, kinda wondering, how long do your paintings stay "okish" on t-shirts. Like one month or maybe a year ?? Anyways inspired me a little :P so thanks

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-01 01:53:21

Glad i could inspire you, well i haven't run the shirts i just sprayed through the wash yet so i can't tell you how those specifically will hold up yet. But i've made shirts in the past and never have had a problem with them fading to much, atleast never to the point of just being a faded mess. As long as you heat set the paint into the fabric it should have some pretty solid staying power. To heat set the paint, ideally you'd use a heat press which will pretty much guarantee some staying power, but most people don't have access to a heat press so a good alternative is to run it through a dryer before wearing it or washing it, it's not quite as effective as using a heat press but it does the job well enough.

Now depending on what you use to print with i've had different experiences with getting them to last. With screen printing i know there's a fixative type substance you can mix in with the paint that eliminates the need to heat set it, i've never tried it personally but i have a friend who has a moderately successful clothing company and that's what she uses, so i assume that works well. But just trying to heat set a screen printed shirt in the dryer hasn't always worked for me, i've bought/made screen-printed shirts and had them fade to shit in a month despite running them through a dryer.

With spray paint however, i still have shirts i made a year ago that i never heat set, and they have only faded a little, but it only just has a faded aged look, not faded to the point it's impossible to see, the colors just aren't as bold as brand new. So just from experience spray paint has some pretty good staying power on shirts, i've heat set both of the last two shirts, one with a dryer and one with a heat press, so i can get back to you on if they fade quickly or anything.

Hope you're not to dizzy after reading all the mess :) I tend to get carried away, glad i could inspire you! Hope this helps.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-01 03:35:28

Ok thanks for the help, gonna look a bit further. The heat set gave me some nice tips when I entered it on google search.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-01 13:27:38

anything interesting i might not know about? I love learning new techniques and processes!

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-02 04:04:23

I must say, I love your style sir. It's kind of grotesque, but enjoyable. :) I do really enjoy your shirt designs!

Do you sell them at all? I'm I wouldn't be the only one who'd be interested in buying them.

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-02 17:59:08

well, my good sir, i'm in the process of getting enough prints and shirts together and photographed so i feel adequate enough to create account on this free shopping site thingy.

I'll be selling prints and t-shirts, shirts will probably be around $15, prints will range from $5-$50 depending on the size of the print

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-06 19:35:45

Number two in my sci-meez series!

Titled: I'm the pretty one.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-06 19:37:49

Number three!

titled: Hair Twins

Both of these stencils are pretty small just like the other one, all three are about the size of your hand

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-07 13:52:07

just realized i never posted a picture of this print. I did it as a follow up on the anatomically correct stencil, i drew this one myself and used the other stencil as a reference

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2009-02-07 16:30:13

Ben! I'm volunteering at AIR on the north side. I know you know what I'm talking about because I saw a transparency of your honest abe drawing there when i went in to talk to the guys there. I told the guy showing me around I know you from the internet. He seem confused. Come to AIR some night I'm volunteering and we'll bro down!