00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Good Captains Art Thread

74,227 Views | 618 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-08 20:58:45

Post some stuff here I've done that I don't want to put in the portal.

Here's a quick drawing I just did for my fundamentals class, turned out not too bad.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-08 21:03:02

And here's a skateboard I painted with my friend Matt Gondek. He's a great illustrator, he's been giving me a lot of insight on what it's like doing freelance and working with bands.

(spoiler alert: it sucks lol)

My sharks the one on bottom.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-21 11:04:45

Neew desktop background, just doodlin.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-26 19:50:58

Final sketch for my next printmaking process, going to drypoint it on plexiglass.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-28 22:42:11

Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-28 22:50:29

At 9/28/10 10:42 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.

These letters are better; though im hoping you will crosshatch the fish as well?

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-28 23:02:56

At 9/28/10 10:50 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/28/10 10:42 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.
These letters are better; though im hoping you will crosshatch the fish as well?

lol he's not really a fish or anything, just lumpy. I kind of wanted to do some crosshatching to add depth between him and the banner, but it just gets confusing and doesn't look particularly good. For now I'm not going to crosshatch him so he still stands out, but may add some on the bottom if i can get it to look good.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-09-28 23:11:45

At 9/28/10 11:02 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 9/28/10 10:50 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
lol he's not really a fish or anything, just lumpy. I kind of wanted to do some crosshatching to add depth between him and the banner, but it just gets confusing and doesn't look particularly good. For now I'm not going to crosshatch him so he still stands out, but may add some on the bottom if i can get it to look good.

My bad, I just say lumps and eyes looking in different directions. Thats what a fish looks like to me. I understand, though, sometimes simplicity is better than overdoing something. Great work, man.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-10-18 22:08:28

Drawing for fundamentals class. Not too crazy about it but not too bad for 2 hours of work.

Got all my drypoint's printed, should have a scan of one sometime this week.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-08 20:49:08

Looks much better in person, and unfortunately still don't have a real camera. Camera phone will have to suffice for now.

18" x 21" Charcoal drawing, took about 6 hours to do.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-08 21:00:00

Again, sorry about the shitty pic. Unfortunately a lot of the subtler tones are lost with the quality.

Intaglio print, acid etching on a copper plate.

About 3" x 4" and probably like 8-9 hours of work.

This is 1 print in an edition of 10.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-08 21:05:23

At 11/8/10 09:00 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: About 3" x 4"

Correction, this is a complete lie. Plate was more like 6" x 8"

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-09 11:37:36

Man you are improveing leaps and bounds right now. Must feel great :)

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-09 21:02:13

Nice work I really liked that shirt design, 'not long now' it said, something like that. It reminded me a bit of Aardvark's style. He is one of my fave artists.

Love the school work.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-10 00:41:19

At 11/9/10 11:37 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: Man you are improveing leaps and bounds right now. Must feel great :)

Yeah I've been pretty happy with the past few projects, it's been fun.

I have to combine 2 techniques for my final project in printmaking, so I'm going to do acid-etching and mono print. Problem is the coop store wants 9 bucks for a measly 4x6 copper plate, which is far too much for my liking. Went to the local junkyard and got an 18x7 copper plate for 6 bucks. Score!

Was crazy dirty though, so I cleaned it up and polished it! Here's a before and after pic.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-10 16:23:44

At 11/10/10 12:41 AM, Captain-Ben wrote:
Was crazy dirty though, so I cleaned it up and polished it! Here's a before and after pic.

Oh I like where this is going - it sure sounds interesting..

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 14:32:21

WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 21:14:16

At 11/16/10 02:32 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.

Wow, that's actually pretty damn detailed. i didn't even know that you could achieve anything other then a completely smudged mess with charcoal, so yeah, that's a bit of a surprise for meh.

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 21:29:47

At 11/16/10 09:14 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 11/16/10 02:32 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.
Wow, that's actually pretty damn detailed. i didn't even know that you could achieve anything other then a completely smudged mess with charcoal, so yeah, that's a bit of a surprise for meh.

There's a decent amount of smudging in the fabric because i'm using conte crayon, so it's pretty much unavoidable, but in the face, horns, and most places that's just charcoal there's no smudging.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 21:31:39

At 11/16/10 09:29 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: There's a decent amount of smudging in the fabric because i'm using conte crayon, so it's pretty much unavoidable

Wanted to clarify, the only smudging that was really done was to smooth out the conte crayon. It tends to pick up the texture of the paper and the board it's on, so I smudge to get it to be smooth instead of textured. For the most part all of the shading is done without smudging.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 23:15:15

I LOVE drawings on colored paper like that!!! Awesome!! Looks a little bit like Yoda! lol

Excellent work it is! Finish you must!

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-16 23:24:59

Crayons and charcoal? Man, those materials are very hard to work with. I'm stunned to see something like that from those.

Your awesome.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-17 00:58:09

At 11/16/10 11:24 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Crayons and charcoal? Man, those materials are very hard to work with.

I'm actually beginning to prefer charcoal to pencil, it's way faster to work with and you get much better darks. The only trick is to learn how to get more subtle shading with it. I'm also not using just plain crayons. I'm using conte crayon. It's not the same as a wax crayon, similar in properties, but much easier to use.

Here's another wip, got the bull body done, all that's left is the landscape.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-17 23:56:30

Here's a (mostly) final version of the drawing. I ended up making the tail much whiter to make it stand out. I'll submit a nicer pic taken with a real camera in the portal later.

So this is 99% finished. Took about 9-10 hours.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-11-18 07:17:48

At 11/17/10 11:56 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Here's a (mostly) final version of the drawing. I ended up making the tail much whiter to make it stand out. I'll submit a nicer pic taken with a real camera in the portal later.

So this is 99% finished. Took about 9-10 hours.

It looks awesome; I was gonna comment on the stubbyness of the legs but it looks kinda cool actually; only thing I can critique other than that (from this pic) is that the head seems a bit seperated from the body.... its a bit sharper/more detailed.... doesnt seem to be one thing if you catch my drift.
Great work though, cant wait for the finished one

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-12-05 22:22:15

Sneak peak WIP on my current print project.

Sorry for the shittiness of the photo, the copper is very shiny and it's hard enough to take a decent pic with my phones' camera

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2010-12-07 15:14:13

Another WIP of a drawing I'm working on. Not that far along still, but figured I'd share.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2011-01-09 16:19:23

Finished painting, just need to build a frame for it.

Done with acrylic, spray paint, india ink, and a lot of varnish. Turned out pretty well.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2011-01-09 16:21:36

detail shot

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to The Good Captains Art Thread 2011-01-09 20:20:13

At 1/9/11 04:54 PM, EJR wrote: I like it.

I like you

Look at my art!

BBS Signature