New Topic Respond to this Topic
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 07:55 AM Reply

Small bump for this thread. This is a t-shirt design I just made for a contest over at 99designs for Sitepoint.com. Would be cool if I win, especially since the top rated designs from the contest host are all lame. Wish me luck!

Also for those of you who don't pay attention to the art portal and would like to see some real art from me I've recently submitted a new painting and a new t-shirt design for a band, both of which you can see on my userpage.

The Good Captains Art Thread

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 10:57 AM Reply

At 6/13/10 07:55 AM, Captain-Ben wrote: Small bump for this thread. This is a t-shirt design I just made for a contest over at 99designs for Sitepoint.com. Would be cool if I win, especially since the top rated designs from the contest host are all lame. Wish me luck!

Is this for that contest that gives $1000? That contest has a awesome prize. I hope you win.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 01:24 PM Reply

At 6/13/10 10:57 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Is this for that contest that gives $1000? That contest has a awesome prize. I hope you win.

No, it's for $500 dollars, which would still be nice to win. Would be tripling my bank account lol.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
antiandy
antiandy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 02:09 PM Reply

I like your t-shirt designs a lot...especially the one for the band in your art portal.
Do you screen print them yourself, or just do the art?

Your entire gallery is a behemoth of epic proportion...so I'll have more to say after I have been able to take it all in.

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 6/13/10 02:09 PM, antiandy wrote: I like your t-shirt designs a lot...especially the one for the band in your art portal.

I looked into how much it might cost to get it professionally printed for giggles, but costs way more than I can reasonably afford. I usually just print them myself, for the exact reason that it costs a lot of money otherwise.

Update on the design contest, the host eliminated my design without even really scoring it, lol. Guess he seems keen on having generic crappy t-shirts. Decided to give it one more shot, judging by his ratings so far they want some kind of tagline in the design, so I added one.

If you want a chuckle at the other designs here are all the submissions still in consideration.

Not sure why they'd be so found of the top 2 designs, if those graphics wrap around the shirt (I'd hope so or they'd look awful) they aren't going to be cheap to print.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
antiandy
antiandy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 6/13/10 02:59 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 6/13/10 02:09 PM, antiandy wrote: I like your t-shirt designs a lot...especially the one for the band in your art portal.
I looked into how much it might cost to get it professionally printed for giggles, but costs way more than I can reasonably afford. I usually just print them myself, for the exact reason that it costs a lot of money otherwise.

I totally hear you.
I came to this exact same conclusion after the last time I paid over $500 for 100 shirts...one color....which was back in '02.
Then the band I manage and I bought our own 4 -color setup for just over $1000...and it has already paid for itself 10 times over since then.
Good to see the DIY vibe is still alive.

Update on the design contest, the host eliminated my design without even really scoring it, lol. Guess he seems keen on having generic crappy t-shirts. Decided to give it one more shot, judging by his ratings so far they want some kind of tagline in the design, so I added one.

If you want a chuckle at the other designs here are all the submissions still in consideration.

Not sure why they'd be so found of the top 2 designs, if those graphics wrap around the shirt (I'd hope so or they'd look awful) they aren't going to be cheap to print.

Ya know...I took a look at these...and you're right, first off.
Even though they probably have fancy, digital screen printers, the more colors and more area the design covers, the more expensive and time consuming it's going to be to produce...that's just a fact.
On top of that, assuming cost of printing is no option...the designs which have 4 stars are...well...lacking.
The only one that really jumped out at me was the diagonally oriented text on the dark blue shirt, but even that one is sort of plain.
Maybe the guys in charge of this just want something that mirrors whatever is hot at WalMart or something?
(shrug)
I like yours...it's crisp and bright and gets the point across.

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 6/13/10 03:13 PM, antiandy wrote: I like yours...it's crisp and bright and gets the point across.

Thanks, yeah most of the designs are pretty lame and generic. I think I figured out why mine got eliminated without score. In the brief about the contest it mentions that the design needs to have the site logo and name in it. Which if you ask me mine does, but all the top scoring ones have the literal site logo and name supplied in the brief on the shirt somewhere. So I just added their logo to the back of both shirts, hopefully that'll get them scored.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 02:13 PM Reply

Hey guys, for shits and gigs I put my last shirt design up on Threadless. It's up for scoring right now, so do me a favor and go score it for me so i might be able to get money!

thanks a bunch guys

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
antiandy
antiandy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 6/14/10 02:13 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Hey guys, for shits and gigs I put my last shirt design up on Threadless. It's up for scoring right now, so do me a favor and go score it for me so i might be able to get money!

thanks a bunch guys

No problem, sir...you'll get as many votes as I can muster.

BBS Signature
annetang
annetang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 6/14/10 02:13 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Hey guys, for shits and gigs I put my last shirt design up on Threadless. It's up for scoring right now, so do me a favor and go score it for me so i might be able to get money!

thanks a bunch guys

I love that T-shirt. But where should I go to give a score?

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 8th, 2010 @ 08:58 PM Reply

Post some stuff here I've done that I don't want to put in the portal.

Here's a quick drawing I just did for my fundamentals class, turned out not too bad.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 8th, 2010 @ 09:03 PM Reply

And here's a skateboard I painted with my friend Matt Gondek. He's a great illustrator, he's been giving me a lot of insight on what it's like doing freelance and working with bands.

(spoiler alert: it sucks lol)

My sharks the one on bottom.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 21st, 2010 @ 11:04 AM Reply

Neew desktop background, just doodlin.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Final sketch for my next printmaking process, going to drypoint it on plexiglass.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 10:42 PM Reply

Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 10:50 PM Reply

At 9/28/10 10:42 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.

These letters are better; though im hoping you will crosshatch the fish as well?

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 9/28/10 10:50 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 9/28/10 10:42 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Updated sketch with crosshatching and different letters.
These letters are better; though im hoping you will crosshatch the fish as well?

lol he's not really a fish or anything, just lumpy. I kind of wanted to do some crosshatching to add depth between him and the banner, but it just gets confusing and doesn't look particularly good. For now I'm not going to crosshatch him so he still stands out, but may add some on the bottom if i can get it to look good.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 9/28/10 11:02 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 9/28/10 10:50 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
lol he's not really a fish or anything, just lumpy. I kind of wanted to do some crosshatching to add depth between him and the banner, but it just gets confusing and doesn't look particularly good. For now I'm not going to crosshatch him so he still stands out, but may add some on the bottom if i can get it to look good.

My bad, I just say lumps and eyes looking in different directions. Thats what a fish looks like to me. I understand, though, sometimes simplicity is better than overdoing something. Great work, man.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Oct. 18th, 2010 @ 10:08 PM Reply

Drawing for fundamentals class. Not too crazy about it but not too bad for 2 hours of work.

Got all my drypoint's printed, should have a scan of one sometime this week.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 08:49 PM Reply

Looks much better in person, and unfortunately still don't have a real camera. Camera phone will have to suffice for now.

18" x 21" Charcoal drawing, took about 6 hours to do.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 09:00 PM Reply

Again, sorry about the shitty pic. Unfortunately a lot of the subtler tones are lost with the quality.

Intaglio print, acid etching on a copper plate.

About 3" x 4" and probably like 8-9 hours of work.

This is 1 print in an edition of 10.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 11/8/10 09:00 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: About 3" x 4"

Correction, this is a complete lie. Plate was more like 6" x 8"

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 8th, 2010 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 11/8/10 08:49 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Looks much better in person, and unfortunately still don't have a real camera. Camera phone will have to suffice for now.

18" x 21" Charcoal drawing, took about 6 hours to do.

I like all the wrinkles and shit.

At 11/8/10 09:00 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Again, sorry about the shitty pic. Unfortunately a lot of the subtler tones are lost with the quality.

Intaglio print, acid etching on a copper plate.

About 3" x 4" and probably like 8-9 hours of work.

This is 1 print in an edition of 10.

i also like all the details and shit

Unblock me

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 9th, 2010 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Man you are improveing leaps and bounds right now. Must feel great :)

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
KamikazePanda
KamikazePanda
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 9th, 2010 @ 09:02 PM Reply

Nice work I really liked that shirt design, 'not long now' it said, something like that. It reminded me a bit of Aardvark's style. He is one of my fave artists.

Love the school work.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 12:41 AM Reply

At 11/9/10 11:37 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: Man you are improveing leaps and bounds right now. Must feel great :)

Yeah I've been pretty happy with the past few projects, it's been fun.

I have to combine 2 techniques for my final project in printmaking, so I'm going to do acid-etching and mono print. Problem is the coop store wants 9 bucks for a measly 4x6 copper plate, which is far too much for my liking. Went to the local junkyard and got an 18x7 copper plate for 6 bucks. Score!

Was crazy dirty though, so I cleaned it up and polished it! Here's a before and after pic.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 10th, 2010 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 11/10/10 12:41 AM, Captain-Ben wrote:
Was crazy dirty though, so I cleaned it up and polished it! Here's a before and after pic.

Oh I like where this is going - it sure sounds interesting..

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2010 @ 02:32 PM Reply

WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 11/16/10 02:32 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.

Wow, that's actually pretty damn detailed. i didn't even know that you could achieve anything other then a completely smudged mess with charcoal, so yeah, that's a bit of a surprise for meh.

Captain
Captain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Good Captains Art Thread Nov. 16th, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 11/16/10 09:14 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 11/16/10 02:32 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: WIP of a big drawing for fundamentals, charcoal + white conte crayon on brown paper.
Wow, that's actually pretty damn detailed. i didn't even know that you could achieve anything other then a completely smudged mess with charcoal, so yeah, that's a bit of a surprise for meh.

There's a decent amount of smudging in the fabric because i'm using conte crayon, so it's pretty much unavoidable, but in the face, horns, and most places that's just charcoal there's no smudging.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature