00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Underdog List

120,122 Views | 1,054 Replies

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 12:06:23

I dont think Im classed as an underdog anymore. (not that anyone nominated me XD)

Ive got Top 5.. Again XD

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 12:10:20

At 2/6/08 12:06 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: I dont think Im classed as an underdog anymore. (not that anyone nominated me XD)

Ive got Top 5.. Again XD

Bragger XD! And youre only in the top 5 because you use basshunters smiley!\kidding

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 12:11:33

At 2/6/08 12:10 PM, SolidElectro wrote:
At 2/6/08 12:06 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: I dont think Im classed as an underdog anymore. (not that anyone nominated me XD)

Ive got Top 5.. Again XD
Bragger XD! And youre only in the top 5 because you use basshunters smiley!\kidding

Nah, Basshunter's Main smiley is d[-_-]b

:P

I just nicked his album one. IMA COPYRIGHT IT BEFORE HIM ;D

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 12:15:56

At 2/6/08 12:11 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: Nah, Basshunter's Main smiley is d[-_-]b

lol..

I just nicked his album one. IMA COPYRIGHT IT BEFORE HIM ;D

Yeah, you did.. XD

The Underdog List

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 14:22:38

Srsly guys! I just found an underdog! His NG name is "THEpower" and i nominate him for making the happiest song ever entitled: "Reviving Happy Times"

-Check it out!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 15:37:35

At 2/6/08 08:15 AM, Chronamut wrote: I didnt realize you were still ALIVE meneldil :P

Have to learn at nights, no time to irc :(

PS and believe me i am still alive
PPS i feel fantastic and i'm still alive...

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 16:54:14

At 2/4/08 02:23 AM, Rig wrote:
At 2/4/08 01:34 AM, mkron wrote: Much props to Rig, by the way.
Really? What did I do?
Also, neat stuff. I'm not sure how creative you ARE with GB, though...I'll leave that up to Quarl's expert GarageBand ears.

Yeah, he's an underdog. He has a lot of potential. His melodies rock, and I didn't notice any samples. That doesn't mean he didn't use any, it just means I didn't catch any. He needs to learn how to master his work better (so do I, but it's not easy in garage band when you have a lot going on at once.) All in all, I think he's worth the nomination. Primarily for his classical work. I'm not linking to any songs though... my internet connection is running slow at the moment and I'm a little mad that in order to hear the tracks, I had to download them >:(

On second thought... ProjectDark is a good listen. The work here sounds really good for the most part. The only problem with this track is that when it shifts to an electronic sound towards the end, he completely stopped paying attention to his clipping indicators and the mix gets sloppy. I've noticed that a few of his better songs fall victim to his negligence towards mixing. He tries too hard to get those powerful chrechendos. If I can make a shout out towards mkron real quick, I'd just like to say, try lowering the other tracks a little, before turning up the lead. Also, subtleties are a must. Huge chrechendoes can be illusionary. Dunno. Keep working on that mixing mkron :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 23:18:45

Thanks Quarl!
To answer to the samples thing, I refuse to use them as well as preset instruments except for strings.
I know about my mixing trouble, and I really hate it. My problem is that I love a good and heavy drum beat, yet the drums are never loud enough to compete with the synths. Of course, the obvious answer is make the synths quieter, but I like loudness.
However, I must make a little thing about what you said about lack of subtlety. This is all subjective, but for the first 3 minutes and 16 seconds, I do very little crescendo. I do get blatantly loud and obnoxious towards the end, but on purpose of course. My favorite piece is unfortunately 8.1 mb long, so I can't upload it.
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough evaluation of my music! I will definitely work on the mixing for the next project :D!

p.s. Would you happen to know how to transfer the music in notation form into a app. like Finale?

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 23:52:34

At 2/6/08 11:18 PM, mkron wrote:

8.1 mb long, so I can't upload it.

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough evaluation of my music! I will definitely work on the mixing for the next project :D!

p.s. Would you happen to know how to transfer the music in notation form into a app. like Finale?

If you're using a program like switch to convert your projects into mp3 format then you have the ability to lower the quality a little in exchange for a smaller file size. In switch theres a button that says "encoder options." Set the bit rate a little lower. I'm not sure, but I think other converters give you similar options :P

And to answer your question, in the midi editor, all the way at the bottom on the left you'll see two buttons cajoined to each other. One looks like the little blocks you build your melodies with and the other is a note. Click on the note. One thing though, this format sucks and it's not very accurate.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 23:57:23

No no, I new how to view it. I wanted to export it. But anyways, on with the Nominations!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-06 23:59:47

At 2/6/08 11:57 PM, mkron wrote: No no, I new how to view it. I wanted to export it. But anyways, on with the Nominations!

oh, I get what your saying. Well in that case, the answer is no. You can't do that, sorry.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-07 01:26:39

Ok, well I was looking through my newgrounds audio collection and dug up this guy (MrWAD2.) I wouldn't recommend listening to his work if you're not into art. His work is EXTREMELY experimental. Almost completely nonsensical, it's also almost complete genius. What? That barely made any sense, and that's the point I'm trying to make!

The first track I'm gonna recomend is Kreepy Worx 11 a track that will have you questioning your sexuality long before you even realize that this song has no real structure. The sounds are smooth, sexy and tasty. This is sound as art, whether you like it or not.

You want some heavy hitting sounds? Try Eye-got-cha on for size. This one hurts it's so heavy. It morphs up and down, with some sweet vox going on. Complete incoherent bliss.

To leave things hanging I'll drop off with Pop-lockerz a track that defies logic. Give it a few listens, you might end up liking it. For anyone who thinks that this is "undanceable," well I'd have to say you're wrong. I've met some pretty crazy girls at art school that would die to move to this kind of sound.

Now let the debate begin.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-07 18:20:01

AT LAST, the perfect nominee.

I nominate: djb345t

If you are reading my signature, you must not be doing anything important, so click the turntables to check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-07 19:06:49

I found a good one:

OMGwdfwoop

His DnB is pretty slick.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-07 19:11:31

Sorry for the double post.

Here are some songs made by the user mentioned above:
Odd Job Listen further in
Crossed the Line
Speeds Unreached

Really great songs with strong potential.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-08 08:38:59

I nominate...... *drum roll*......

*tension rises*

**tension still rising*

*TENSION AT IT'S PEAK*

"We'll be right back after this short brake"

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-08 11:25:52

At 2/7/08 07:06 PM, scoutzero wrote: I found a good one:

OMGwdfwoop

His DnB is pretty slick.

He hasn't made anything new since 06, but if there's ever an update on that "missing in action, really cool artists list" then I guess he'd qualify for that.

At 2/7/08 06:20 PM, AfroShine wrote: AT LAST, the perfect nominee.

I nominate: djb345t

If you really want to make sure he get's listened to, post some links to some of his better tracks. I listened to some stuff. He seems to be a pretty good rapper and I heared a fairly good dnb too. I was a little skeptical though at first because he eq'd the bass drum way too high in the first track I listened to.

Now, I'd get into more depth about this guy, because I liked what I heard... but this track scared me a little. I'm not sure how much of the original track he sampled, but that guitar work sounded too good, same with the vocals until the octave shifts started up. Can someone else verify how original this track is?

original track: "Everything Goes Dark" by The Hoosiers. I'd look into it myself, but I'd have to download it through lime wire on my school's internet connection. Risky, illegal and really slow.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-08 14:04:08

I'll check it out quarl. I'm at my house so I'm safe from the feds lol.

If you are reading my signature, you must not be doing anything important, so click the turntables to check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-08 14:07:09

Everything goes dark

See for yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-08 14:09:30

i think he did a good remix on that, made the guitar faster, different drums, half as long, i dont know whats acceptable though and im not that experienced.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-09 19:39:42

Holy shit....

KaiSun rocks!!

He mainly does breakbeat stuff, but it sounds really nice. Not really at the professional level yet, but he has potential... major potential.

Trapdoor (Beast Mix) is some great nu skool breaks! And A Mule Ate My Past is some nice, phat, but minimalist sounding breakbeat!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-09 20:22:06

i'd say Mitrox

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-09 21:18:04

djb345t owns all three of those nominees. He owns in track quality, amount submitted to the portal, and underdogness respectively.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-09 21:51:02

Hey! im new here but i post some SICK stuff! but i dont think im getting much attention.
I do great electronic music like dance/trance and stuff. I'm good at it so i suggest you guys go check my stuff out =D Yes, im nominating myself Lol.
Here's some background info: I've just created an account somewhat near the end of last year though ive been on newgrounds since 2005.. Why did i finally decide to join? i was surfin the web when i saw this video on youtube about people creatin songs and it was AWESOEM, so i asked them what program the used and stuff. So...now im using Fruity Loops! its a good programme, i maybe be new here but my stuff is actually quite good!! (not to brag or anything) So yeah!! NOMINATE ME1! and get free cheese! ok so you might not get cheese but still....my stuff's good so go checck it out and nominate me1! Lol
-Bahdshah
RedMoon Deejay

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-09 21:54:40

At 2/9/08 07:39 PM, navij11 wrote: Holy shit....

KaiSun rocks!!
At 2/9/08 08:22 PM, TjA wrote: i'd say Mitrox

holy crap, I didn't know those two were still around. I used one of mitrox's old songs in one of my cartoons :) That was back when he was Viewtiful-Masta.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-10 00:15:39

I would like to nominate myself as an underdog. Ive been making songs for a little over a year now. And don't plan on stopping.... it's been over a month since ive submitted a song but i always have a few projects going. My early stuff isn't great... as with most people. But i like my recent songs.

I use madtracker, audacity, and a new program called musicshake.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-10 01:23:43

hey quarl you make some nice stuff yourself, even though I'm not into DnB too much, unless it's really good.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-10 01:25:04

Not into rock too much either lol.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-10 03:31:19

At 2/10/08 03:21 AM, PaulStetich wrote: Hey asshole, you can't nominate yourself!!!!!! >: O

lol I show my love to Smokey651 :D

Uh, yes. You can nominate yourself. It says so on the first post.

Get your facts straight before you start calling people out like that. =P

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-02-10 03:53:16

Your moms... facts... are straight....