00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

marbleheadzzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Underdog List

119,919 Views | 1,054 Replies

The Underdog List 2008-01-22 15:22:01

Welcome to the New Underdog List!

The audio portal has always been thought of as a royalty-free music and sound-effect resource for flash authors - good animations need good sound to match. Over time the audio portal has expanded and started housing some very talented artists. It is our goal to find and expose the talent hidden under the mountains of crap, and to realize the real musical power hidden within the portal.
This thread is the place to showcase the amazing musicians you find on NG, by giving them Underdog status. But wait...what's an Underdog?

-

Defenition of an Underdog
There's a lot of factors that are considered when nominating an Underdog, most of which are rooted in personal opinion. Here's some NG-specific factors that must be considered:

- Three songs or more
We get a better impression of your style and skill when we have more material to listen to - the more the merrier!

- No more than four reviews for each of your four most recent songs
The more reviews you have, the more people know about you. This number can be flexible, but seriously - if your most recent song has a dozen reviews, forget it.

- Nominate active artists
If they haven't posted a new song in over a month, chances are that they're not coming back, and they won't care if they're an Underdog or not. But if they're really awesome, go ahead!

-

Self nominations
Like the old Underdog List, you WILL be allowed to nominate yourself. However, to prevent this from turning into a spamfest, there are some rules to follow:

- No posting links to your songs
This isn't the Audio Advertisement thread. You can post links to your profile only, and the rest of NG will decide what songs of yours to showcase.

- Tell us about yourself
Give us a bit of history! How long have you been doing music? What programs do you use?

Also, be warned - you might not be considered an Underdog in our eyes.

-

This is how the thread will work:

Nominations and debate will be in this thread. Every so often, a new Underdog List will be made in a newspost with the account UnderdogList and a link will be provided.

With all that said and done, enjoy these vibrant gems from our very own portal!

- by Rig, New-Milkman, and MaestroRage

The Underdog List

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 15:35:20

Good luck with the list fa... i mean, internet persons.

Great to see some initiative being taken. Can't wait for the first list!

<3

Wakka wakka

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 16:28:41

At 1/22/08 04:04 PM, Nopidam wrote:

:this guy

According to the rules of this thread, not an underdog. The track of his you recomended had 26 reviews and well over 200 downloads. Sorry man :P

Wow, glad to see that this thread has evolved. Well, to kick things off, I'd like to first nominate good old Rawrthaas

This one is up for debate, though I'm more than willing to put up a fight for him. He is mostly unknown primarily for his lack of participance within the forums. He only has three posts. He's been around since 05 though. I've been watching him for a long time and he's one of my favorite artists here. You'd think that if he's been around for so long he'd have some more exposure, but that not the case. His songs don't get downloaded as much as they should, and people just don't know about him. I nominated him for the previous list and it got through, so why not again? His latest songs average about two to three reviews, and about 14 downloads. This kid NEEDS the exposure, especially considering that he doesn't advertise himself. Really, he's a true underdog.

A song of his that I've recently fallen in love with is "Dawn Eternal" a melodic DNB track that really cuts loose. One thing about Rawrthaas is that his pianos, though synthetic, sound absolutely beautiful. I've commented on his tracks saying that they sound better than the real deal. You decide. Also in this track, he uses a popular synthetic fruity loops guitar but instead of going for a guitar sound, he tries to get a synth sound out of it and it sounds amazingly well composed.

A slightly more recent song of his is Happily Ever After a trance track that initially ditches the four to the floor paradigm that I feels muddles the genre. It's a great track with fun synths, fun drums and really when it comes down to it, everything here is fun. It has an odd dark breakdown, but it really works. You have to hear it.

If you want some more of his piano work, try Sonata of Stars another melodic DNB that comes through gentle, then builds. The later half of the track is highly reminiscent of the old Mega Man games, check it out!

I'd post some more of his tracks, but I really have to go buy some books for a few of my classes. Silly higher learning :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 17:02:22

LOL. I wonder if people will nominate me a lot like last time.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 17:07:35

Hopefully i wont be in this list.
"Its better to be crap and overrated, than good and underrated."

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 17:11:00

At 1/22/08 05:02 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: LOL. I wonder if people will nominate me a lot like last time.

Now, was it really worth making the first semi-off topic post to say that?

On topic again.
I nominate This Guy Nick Perrin

And for a song... Definitely This one

It's a remix, but it's an amazing remix.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:11:03

At 1/22/08 05:02 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: LOL. I wonder if people will nominate me a lot like last time.

Unfortunately, due to the review rule, your not technically an underdog. Also, you've made yourself infamous. I'd be the first to debate against you if anyone voted for you.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:34:37

Groundforce, definately. he does some really great stuff and doesn't seem to get any credit for it. At least not a whole lot of publicity in the ap.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:37:23

At 1/22/08 06:34 PM, DaGrahamCraka wrote: Groundforce, definately. he does some really great stuff and doesn't seem to get any credit for it. At least not a whole lot of publicity in the ap.

You gotta leave links for us, because chances are pretty good, we aren't gonna go looking for him through the portal. I think I've heard him before...

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:40:00

At 1/22/08 06:26 PM, Simon-F wrote:
At 1/22/08 05:11 PM, Envy wrote: On topic again.
I nominate This Guy Nick Perrin
Seconded, NickPerrin unfortunately encountered a lot of down-votage early on and as a consequence only has as many reviews total as he has songs despite their quality.

I really liked his jazz song. If it wasn't for his video game remakes I'd have thought he was a bunch of garage band preset loops, because it sounded really good (also I know he didn't use loops because I recognize all of the them excluding any that slide through the jam packs :P )

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:47:32

At 1/22/08 06:11 PM, Quarl wrote:
Unfortunately, due to the review rule, your not technically an underdog. Also, you've made yourself infamous. I'd be the first to debate against you if anyone voted for you.

Careful, guys. If I find any more arguing about the FatKid Fiasco, I'll get your posts deleted.

Thanks for your nominations, guys! I have nominations too...

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 18:56:20

so what's this whole thing about? picking your favorite artist or something?

The all seeing blind guy.......

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 19:50:25

At 1/22/08 06:37 PM, Quarl wrote:
At 1/22/08 06:34 PM, DaGrahamCraka wrote: Groundforce, definately. he does some really great stuff and doesn't seem to get any credit for it. At least not a whole lot of publicity in the ap.
You gotta leave links for us, because chances are pretty good, we aren't gonna go looking for him through the portal. I think I've heard him before...

well, i figured it was easy to find them with the new url profile system thingy that came with the redesign. groundforce.newgrounds.com

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 20:08:52

At 1/22/08 03:22 PM, UnderdogList wrote: Self nominations
Like the old Underdog List, you WILL be allowed to nominate yourself. However, to prevent this from turning into a spamfest, there are some rules to follow:

Sweet!

All right, my username might be Cooldsunshine (loooong story, might tell it later) but I like to say my DJ name is PJ the DJ. My initials are PJ, and the rest is history (okay maybe not yet).

I've been recording every since a friend of mine has bought me Fruity Loops and Virtual DJ, the two programs I still use now, for my last birthday, being on the 30th of November. Almost two month now I guess. I started to make a few songs with FL, but I prefered remixing my favorites artists with Virtual DJ, like Daft Punk, Justice, TIesto, MSTRKRFT etc...

I've always been in awe when I listen to techno, and always desired to make stuff of my own. I'm glad with the help of theses programs and Newgrounds. That can be possible. I try showing all my new stuff to my friends on MSN and in real life whenever I can, and try to go from their suggestions. One day, maybe, I'll actually buy turntables and live the dream.

I'm more experienced on the guitar, which I've been playing for close to 10 years, but obviously, having started at 8, I'm not AS sick as this might suggest. But I consider myself to be able to improvise quite good :)

If you want to know more about me, just PM me and I'll post more stuff in this thread!

Thanks a ton!
PJ the DJ

Check out my techno songs !

Sig made by RockinPunk

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 20:11:01

At 1/22/08 06:47 PM, Rig wrote:
Careful, guys. If I find any more arguing about the FatKid Fiasco, I'll get your posts deleted.

Thanks for your nominations, guys! I have nominations too...

eh, I'm really sick of it too, but it's in my character to hold to an argument such as the previous until I'm able to get my point across to my opponent. I'm a debater. I almost lost my best friend once arguing with him over whether or not a cat could climb a specific kind of fence... regardless of that, I find it hard to ditch an argument that I feel strongly about. It isn't like me to just give up when I feel like I'm right.

All that aside, knowing full well that posts made as such will get deleted in the future, I guess that this would have to be my last post on the subject :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-22 20:19:23

At 1/22/08 08:08 PM, Cooldsunshine wrote:
At 1/22/08 03:22 PM, UnderdogList wrote: Self nominations
Stuff!

Hmm, well you'd probably fit the category, but I'm not sure if your songs would be considered acceptable as they're mostly other peoples songs clipped up... they might even be considered stolen... I don't know what to think because I've never heard anyone take someone else's songs and clip them like that. I'm against it, but I think some one else needs to look into it.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-23 09:31:32

ahh, a new underdog list.. This will be great. If i find anyone to nominate i'll be sure to post it!

much luv

Wyldfyre1

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-23 16:13:21

At 1/22/08 03:22 PM, UnderdogList wrote:
- No more than four reviews for each of your four most recent songs
The more reviews you have, the more people know about you. This number can be flexible, but seriously - if your most recent song has a dozen reviews, forget it.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this criterion. You can easily get two reviews just by submitting the track. And you can easily get reviews back by just leaving good, helpful reviews on someone's audio as some artists will kindly return them (on some of my tracks I have more reviews than downloads- LOL!) . Reviewers can look at it once, give it a decent score and never listen to the track again. a high number of reviews does usually correlate with a succesful track, but not always. the amount would certainly be much higher than four-so I'm glad you made that number flexible.

I don't think the amount of reviews you recieve for the track should be the major determinant for who's an underdog or not, but moreso the number of downloads you recieve, amount of times you achieve the top 30, amount of people you have on your favorites list (artists who are self nominating should indeed mention this stat), and how often his/her music gets used in flash submissions (as this will usually direct a lot of attention). If an artists gets an average of 300 downloads an appears on the front page once or twice, its more than likely that the musician recieves good recognition, needless to say.

If they haven't posted a new song in over a month, chances are that they're not coming back, and they won't care if they're an Underdog or not. But if they're really awesome, go ahead!

Why should they be active? And just a month!? A grand, complex track, that is made completely from scratch from the composition to synth/sampling development, plus mastering can take well over a month to complete. And maybe the nominated artists may happen to browse the forum and get new inspiration from being selected as underdog and start creating music again.

even if they are dead, I personally don't think underlooked AP "history" should be ignored.

i agree with everything else, quality topic!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-23 16:24:43

At 1/23/08 04:13 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
At 1/22/08 03:22 PM, UnderdogList wrote: - No more than four reviews for each of your four most recent songs
I'm not sure I completely agree with this criterion, and here's why.

Yes, good point. The number is basically a guideline - I think one of the most important factors to consider (but I forgot to mention it :( ) is review RATE. A song has 8 reviews. Was it submitted yesterday or three months ago? That's a big indication of how popular the guy is.
Downloads can be faked, so we're not considering them.
Flashes, yes. That's can be an indication as well, but not all the time. My first account here had one or two songs used in flashes, but didn't get any additional reviews. It's not popular at all. lol

Thanks for bringing that up!

Why should they be active? And just a month!?

Like it says - if they have good songs, post 'em! We aren't going to ignore awesome things just because it's old. It's nice if they're active, though - otherwise, they won't even notice they're on the list. But yeah, if you find something amazing and unknown, we'll certainly give them credit.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-23 17:19:51

At 1/23/08 04:51 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: GOTHCLAWZ

Assuming that you were nominating yourself as an underdog, I suggest you read the rules before you mindlessly post something. Here's a direct quote for you, and anyone else who can't be bothered to read before posting:

Self nominations

- No posting links to your songs
This isn't the Audio Advertisement thread. You can post links to your profile only, and the rest of NG will decide what songs of yours to showcase.

- Tell us about yourself
Give us a bit of history! How long have you been doing music? What programs do you use?

Also, be warned - you might not be considered an Underdog in our eyes.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-23 21:11:36

Ok, let's see if I can get this self nomination thing right...
I'd like to nominate myself, because I would like to know if you guys see me as an underdog.
I started learning the piano and guitar (classical) from about the age of 10, learned music theory from age 13, and then I started making music from december 2006 and signed up for newgrounds early 2007, but it wasin't until mid 2007 that I started posting music. Since then I have become active in the audio forum, and I think my music this year so far has been decent. Out of my six songs this year, one has recieved 14 reviews, the rest are around 4, and most are from requests or from the 2 people I collaborate with, and the occasional one from my small collection of fans. My songs only really get notice in the first week or so, after that, there's nothing, really. I haven't got any songs above 40 votes or above 20 reviews.
So, do I qualify as an underdog?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 00:15:37

At 1/22/08 07:50 PM, DaGrahamCraka wrote:

well, i figured it was easy to find them with the new url profile system thingy that came with the redesign. groundforce.newgrounds.com

I think that the primary reason behind providing links is so that the person who updates the list can just quickly travel to a suggested song and then copy and paste the suggestions into the new list. When you nominate someone, you really have to advertise them. Show us what songs you like from them.

Also, I looked into the guy. I really liked some of his tracks, but I don't think he's an under dog. If any one is willing to look into this and give some more feedback, here is the url to all his music WEEEEE

Also, this thread is feeling a little weak. My next post is gonna be a super crazy nomination orgy fest. I'm thinking of going after at least three people.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 05:28:20

I say dump the self nomination concept. Now people just have to justify themselves for attention. Nothing against anyone that has so far, I'm just saying anyone that can use a sequencer has a concept of music and is going to have some sort of paragraph worthy background.

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 09:18:41

*ahem*

The Underdog List

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 09:25:58

At 1/24/08 05:28 AM, jrayteam6 wrote: I say dump the self nomination concept. Now people just have to justify themselves for attention. Nothing against anyone that has so far, I'm just saying anyone that can use a sequencer has a concept of music and is going to have some sort of paragraph worthy background.

Then I guess it's up to us to decide whether they're good enough to be on the list. This'll cut down on the massive spam that plagued the last list.
And come on - everyone likes talking about themselves.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 10:28:21

I guess I'll nominate myself, just click that link in my sig, it'll bring you to my page.

If you are reading my signature, you must not be doing anything important, so click the turntables to check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 11:53:11

I nominate e-d.

Well, he only posted 3 tracks a long time ago, but they're totally awesome.
You've probably heard his Opera of the Frogs in Areas game.

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 12:16:24

At 1/24/08 09:25 AM, Rig wrote:
At 1/24/08 05:28 AM, jrayteam6 wrote: I say dump the self nomination concept. Now people just have to justify themselves for attention. Nothing against anyone that has so far, I'm just saying anyone that can use a sequencer has a concept of music and is going to have some sort of paragraph worthy background.
Then I guess it's up to us to decide whether they're good enough to be on the list. This'll cut down on the massive spam that plagued the last list.
And come on - everyone likes talking about themselves.

Gotta agree with jrayteam6. This thread's been around for just a bit, and now, it's cluttered once again!

I have to be frank -- I DON'T NEED WHORES! BRING ON THE GOOD HIDING STUFF, PLEASE!

On a side note, please delete my reply. This is basically a rant.

Oh, and meneldil brought up an awesome track from 2004 (see his previous reply). Two thumbs up, although it's not exactly an underdog (since it has 100+ votes and more than 10 reviews).

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 15:50:54

At 1/24/08 11:53 AM, meneldil wrote: I nominate e-d.

Well, he only posted 3 tracks a long time ago, but they're totally awesome.
You've probably heard his Opera of the Frogs in Areas game.

Ermm... I messed up the links, sorry.
e-d's userpage
The Opera of the Frogs

Jnry3, his other two submissions got few reviews though, so... I think he still qualifies. Especially if you take into consideration how awesome he is ;)
He deserves a lot more attention imo. Even though he's inactive and posted only three tracks.

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to The Underdog List 2008-01-24 16:26:47

http://conradb.newgrounds.com/

^^^ A terrific artist who is greatly underrated because of his lack of techno loops and video game remixes.

BBS Signature