mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-27 15:11:46 Reply

At 3/27/10 05:39 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote:
At 3/27/10 05:07 AM, mrty wrote: Meh, I played TF2 yesterday the first time in weeks, and I've come to a decision: I really got bored of it and I'm about to uninstall it.
YOU... FUCKER!

Angry, anyone?

At 3/27/10 05:42 AM, HeavyTank wrote: My mom has every game in the Sims series, so I get to play a bit every now and then..and let me tell you, it won't keep you playing for long.

I know how Sims series work, I've been playing it for ages, and it works exactly as you said. First you get addicted, but then the dependence wears off abruptly. Then you just uninstall it and don't play it for months. However, to me, having really fun with something then quickly getting bored is better than not having the fun at all.

And it seems to me that you're one of those persons who switch "favorite games" every week or something...how could you possibly get bored of TF2 in the first month, especially with all this new stuff?

"First month"? You're forgetting for how much time has passed since I joined this crew, and me getting TF2 was like a month ago before me joining. I just checked and I seem to have bought TF2 on September 26th, 2009. So that's like 5 months up until now. It seems like an eternity passed. How much time does it take for YOU to get bored of a game? If mine is short (at least compared to those of you people), there's nothing I can do about it. I lose enthusiasm in things pretty quickly, the same thing goes for sports.

As for the "new stuff", none of those things concern the classes that I play as. I mostly play as a Medic, and sometimes Pyro. Valve keeps giving soldiers and demos handful of weapons, while Medic always remains in the shadows, I'm feeling.

At that time I was playing for 5 hours every day...

So did I... Well, not literally, but I still played a lot, at most 2 hours.

At 3/27/10 05:43 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Have you got an external hard drive or something, or even some blank DVDs lying around? Just create a backup restore file so you don't need to re-download the whole thing. You'll only need to download any patches etc that have been released in the meantime.

Might be a good idea. I don't have an external hard drive, but I do have blank DVDs from what I can tell. I'll try it next time.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-27 19:44:58 Reply

At 3/27/10 03:11 PM, mrty wrote: "First month"? You're forgetting for how much time has passed since I joined this crew, and me getting TF2 was like a month ago before me joining. I just checked and I seem to have bought TF2 on September 26th, 2009. So that's like 5 months up until now. It seems like an eternity passed. How much time does it take for YOU to get bored of a game? If mine is short (at least compared to those of you people), there's nothing I can do about it. I lose enthusiasm in things pretty quickly, the same thing goes for sports.

Well, single player games lose interest at a much faster rate than multiplayer games, and that's why I'm so weirded out by you losing interest in TF2...
I mean, it would be totally understandable if it was a story-mode based FPS, but this one has an almost infinite replayabillity value, even more so if you include the minor mods (zombie fortress, prophunt etc.) and the custom maps..

As for the "new stuff", none of those things concern the classes that I play as. I mostly play as a Medic, and sometimes Pyro. Valve keeps giving soldiers and demos handful of weapons, while Medic always remains in the shadows, I'm feeling.

Well, that's because Medic was the first to get updated...by the way, if you want to make the game last longer, you should definitely vary your classes and playstyles...of course you'll get tired of playing the same two/three classes over and over, that's why TF2 has nine of them: so that you can change when you get tired of one.

Might be a good idea. I don't have an external hard drive, but I do have blank DVDs from what I can tell. I'll try it next time.

Unless you bought it from an actual store ...I found it pretty useful since I had to reinstall it several times.

ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-27 21:18:32 Reply

At 3/27/10 07:44 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Well, that's because Medic was the first to get updated...by the way, if you want to make the game last longer, you should definitely vary your classes and playstyles...of course you'll get tired of playing the same two/three classes over and over, that's why TF2 has nine of them: so that you can change when you get tired of one.

Basically this. If all you play is Medic, or Pyro, it gets boring - Medic especially, since you'll tend to just get frustrated at how fail your teammates are sometimes. Have a mess around as with some of the other classes - you might find your get your lust for TF2 back if you mix it up a bit, and eventually you might just start liking Medic again - believe me, I've gone through those phases before, where I couldn't stand playing as Medic since I always did 'the good thing' and went Medic for the team. If you mix things up, you'll become a better player as well, since you'll start to become more familiar with the nuances of the different classes.

Unless you bought it from an actual store ...I found it pretty useful since I had to reinstall it several times.

I bought mine retail, and it's still a pretty poor alternative to creating a backup. There's over a GB of extra content to download, and this was back when I bought the game, just after the Pyro update. I can't imagine how big it could be now, 4 class updates on, plus a classless and a tonne of other smaller changes/bugfixes.

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 04:30:19 Reply

Alright, you guys convinced me to re-download it. I guess I owe you thanks. I'm not sure how far I'll play before getting bored again, but I'll try the other classes and other mods. Every now and then, I played a bit as other classes, they just didn't fit my play style well.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Racoonmario
Racoonmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 04:47:11 Reply

At 3/28/10 04:30 AM, mrty wrote: Alright, you guys convinced me to re-download it. I guess I owe you thanks.

Don't be silly, it's all up to you.

I'm not sure how far I'll play before getting bored again, but I'll try the other classes and other mods.

That is exactly what I'd recommend you to do.

Every now and then, I played a bit as other classes, they just didn't fit my play style well.

You just gotta practice. Every class can be used in multiple unique ways. I play Scout and patrol my base or cap points/intel or harass/attack the enemy team.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 06:44:12 Reply

Also, playing a little every day is probably better than playing, say, a lot every three or four days.
By the way, still nothing from the TF2 blog.Ugh.
I want more scrapped Engie update ideas!
Actually, I would really like to see ALL scrapped unlock ideas...yeah, I know, some models can be found on TF2wiki, but I'm sure that there are more...

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 08:15:37 Reply

At 3/28/10 04:30 AM, mrty wrote: Alright, you guys convinced me to re-download it. I guess I owe you thanks. I'm not sure how far I'll play before getting bored again, but I'll try the other classes and other mods. Every now and then, I played a bit as other classes, they just didn't fit my play style well.

Seeing you mentioned mods, I'm sure this means custom game modes in TF2. One I would recommend is PropHunt. I haven't played it in a few weeks now but hide and seek in TF2 is still a lot of fun. There's often updates for PropHunt as supposedly there's like four maps I've yet to play.

CompleteDouche
CompleteDouche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 09:26:10 Reply

I play Gang Garrison 2, Does that count to be here?

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Racoonmario
Racoonmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 13:28:56 Reply

At 3/28/10 09:26 AM, CompleteDouche wrote: I play Gang Garrison 2, Does that count to be here?

Maybe... sort of... not really.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 15:10:38 Reply

I crafted my Mining Lamp and Glangary Bonnet and it gave my the Scot's Mans Stove Pipe.

Crafted the Stove Pipe with the Respectless Rubber Glove and I got the Texas Slim Dome or something like that...

FUCK YOU VALVE!

visiblecrumpet
visiblecrumpet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 17:13:05 Reply

At 3/28/10 03:10 PM, Simple wrote: I crafted my Mining Lamp and Glangary Bonnet and it gave my the Scot's Mans Stove Pipe.

Crafted the Stove Pipe with the Respectless Rubber Glove and I got the Texas Slim Dome or something like that...

FUCK YOU VALVE!

holy christ thats by far the biggest jip i've ever heard. they need to fix that

Donut
Donut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 17:31:19 Reply

Can't wait till steam is released on mac.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.
PSN ID:Peegler
Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 17:56:14 Reply

At 3/28/10 03:10 PM, Simple wrote: I crafted my Mining Lamp and Glangary Bonnet and it gave my the Scot's Mans Stove Pipe.

FUCK YOU VALVE!

And that's exactly why this whole crafting thing is a massive pile of fail.

visiblecrumpet
visiblecrumpet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 19:14:43 Reply

At 3/28/10 05:56 PM, HeavyTank wrote:

FUCK YOU VALVE!
And that's exactly why this whole crafting thing is a massive pile of fail.

Well its just not perfected yet thats all. What else would we do with our abundance of weapons?

And I know if they didn't do the whole backpack idea in the first place we wouldn't have this problem. That part I agree with. But now we have to cope with what we have and fix the problems.

ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 20:40:08 Reply

At 3/28/10 05:56 PM, HeavyTank wrote: And that's exactly why this whole crafting thing is a massive pile of fail.

Would you prefer no crafting at all? Crafting's awesome, it's your own fault if you go crafting your hats and get something crap - it's always a gamble. If you wanted something more specific, you can always go the 4 refined metals + class token route. It's there for a reason.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 20:44:52 Reply

At 3/28/10 08:40 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: you can always go the 4 refined metals + class token route. It's there for a reason.

That's what I'm doing with Pyro right now. I don't want to craft three refined metals only to find out I get a hatless "hat". I have four Pyro items saved for when I have four refined metals. I'm not crafting a class token just yet incase I actually get a Pyro hat I want (most wanted being the fire brigade hat). Afterwards, I'll work my way to getting a hat for Heavy.

RandomExploit
RandomExploit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-28 22:16:52 Reply

I'm just taking the route that yields a larger quantity of hats; aka any hat at the expense of three refined metals. It's great to be able to be able to enjoy each and every single class I play even if I fail at it.

BLU Wins
UNFUNNY TF2 PUN OR SOMETHING HERE

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 02:16:58 Reply

I crafted 3 refined metals only to get a second Fancy Fedora. Sure it sucks, but when they finally introduce trading, I'm sure someone's willing to take it from me for one of the Soldier's hats. >:D

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 10:36:29 Reply

At 3/29/10 02:16 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: I crafted 3 refined metals only to get a second Fancy Fedora. Sure it sucks, but when they finally introduce trading, I'm sure someone's willing to take it from me for one of the Soldier's hats. >:D

The most I have waiting for the trading system is a spare Dalokah Bar. Just incase there's anyone who's desperate for one. I could craft it with the two other Heavy spare items I have right now for more scrap metal but nah.

Felis
Felis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 16:14:59 Reply

Not really original sentry idea

Long Ranged Sentry "Gorgon"

- 60% longer range than normal sentry, depending on level. 1= 40% more, 2= 50% more, 3=60% more.

- Has a slower rate of fire, more of a "Chukk Chukk Chukk" than the normal sentry's "DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA". Think the fire rate of a level 1 normal sentry, at full upgrade, slower fire rate before that.

- Damage is much higher than a normal sentry, but the shots have slight scatter over long range.

- Turn rate is 75% the rate of a normal sentry.

- 25% more hp than a normal sentry

Also,

Dispenser Car "Commuter"

-Replaces Dispenser and Teleporter

- Mobile dispenser with 100% speed.

- Jumping on top of it locks you to it until you jump again, keeping people from accidentaly falling off.

-Can carry two people level 1, three level 2, and four level 3. People can fire weapons while on top of Commuter

- Has 350 health

- Wrench repairs are only half as effective, and sappers require four hits to be knocked off.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature
newgroundskeeperjim
newgroundskeeperjim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 17:20:20 Reply

I like the idea of the Commuter, Felis, but one fallacy: How do you control where it goes? Does it travel at random?

SirKillington is your new god.
Mongo just pawn... in game of life.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 18:59:36 Reply

At 3/28/10 08:40 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Would you prefer no crafting at all?

Yes.Hell yes.I would prefer the item fidning system I previously mentioned (you can't get an item twice before getting every single other item first)

At 3/29/10 04:14 PM, Felis wrote:
Long Ranged Sentry "Gorgon"

Needs a more "Texas-y" name

- 60% longer range than normal sentry, depending on level. 1= 40% more, 2= 50% more, 3=60% more.

You do realise that 60% more range than a normal sentry would make the game unplayable for scouts (and most classes)?It's insanely far, probably enough to cover everything in a normal TF2 map's confined spaces...

- Has a slower rate of fire, more of a "Chukk Chukk Chukk" than the normal sentry's "DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA".

Pacman!Seriously though, I know what you're talking about.

- Damage is much higher than a normal sentry, but the shots have slight scatter over long range.

Yeah, maybe it fires a lot of bullets at close range and they periodically become less as they go further...like shotgun shells and minigun rounds.

- Turn rate is 75% the rate of a normal sentry.

So its turn rate is even slower?Ugh.

- 25% more hp than a normal sentry

Wouldn't make much of a difference, frankly you should just keep it the same or maybe give it 30% blast resistance or something.
It's not a bad idea at all, with a bit of tweaking it could be easily fitted into the game.

Also,

Dispenser Car "Commuter"

-Replaces Dispenser and Teleporter

- Mobile dispenser with 100% speed.

- Jumping on top of it locks you to it until you jump again, keeping people from accidentaly falling off.

-Can carry two people level 1, three level 2, and four level 3. People can fire weapons while on top of Commuter

- Has 350 health

- Wrench repairs are only half as effective, and sappers require four hits to be knocked off.

Absolutely not.This is way too complex, and there would be myriads of bugs and glitches.Plus, apart from it being massive (four people?seriously?), think of four heavies on top of a jumping dispenser for a second.Yeah.

ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 22:18:34 Reply

At 3/29/10 04:14 PM, Felis wrote:

I don't think it's too bad, though I would offer some changes.
I present... The Tank

> 25% more HP
> 25% fire and blast resistance
> Much wider girth
> 50% slower turning speed

This sentry is designed to withstand Ubers. Previously, any Scout foolish enough to get in front of a sentry was toast but with this, he stands a chance since he can outrun the sentry's lock-on. This opens the way for stealthy scout caps, if the engineer isn't backed up.

However, the extra durability means that big rushes will need to be very well coordinated to take down the sentry now, and the extra size means that if an Ubered Pyro comes along, a viable tactic now for the engi is to defend his post, rather than run away or get burnt to a crisp trying to heal the sentry (unless the Pyro is wielding the Homwrecker). And obviously, the greater size means more of him to hit, which will make Heavies a little more effective.

At 3/29/10 06:59 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Yes.Hell yes.I would prefer the item fidning system I previously mentioned (you can't get an item twice before getting every single other item first)

Now that is a shit idea. Every idler would have every single item a million times over already, and it would lower the value of hats considerably. At least with crafting there's still some luck involved. And it's not as if Valve is forcing you to go and craft your hats. It's your own fault if you do - you know the risks, and you clearly thought that the risk was worth the potential payoff.

Kids these days, expecting everything handed to them on a silver platter...

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 22:55:57 Reply

At 3/29/10 10:18 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Now that is a shit idea. Every idler would have every single item a million times over already, and it would lower the value of hats considerably. At least with crafting there's still some luck involved. And it's not as if Valve is forcing you to go and craft your hats. It's your own fault if you do - you know the risks, and you clearly thought that the risk was worth the potential payoff.

Durp durp, that's easily solved: you can only get items while you get points (and possibly just ban any idle servers out there)

Don't be an ass, the current system is just plain shitty.You (usually) never get what you want, and if you want to get want you want you have to get a million other crappy items that you alredy have....

SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-29 23:55:27 Reply

At 3/29/10 10:55 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 3/29/10 10:18 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Now that is a shit idea. Every idler would have every single item a million times over already, and it would lower the value of hats considerably. At least with crafting there's still some luck involved. And it's not as if Valve is forcing you to go and craft your hats. It's your own fault if you do - you know the risks, and you clearly thought that the risk was worth the potential payoff.
Durp durp, that's easily solved: you can only get items while you get points (and possibly just ban any idle servers out there)

Isn't that what the system is like now? The better you go in a round the more likely you are to find an item or 3?

Don't be an ass, the current system is just plain shitty.You (usually) never get what you want, and if you want to get want you want you have to get a million other crappy items that you alredy have....

Would you rather keep collecting these shitty doubles and triples of certain items with no use whatsoever for them, while waiting and waiting for a hat to randomly come to you? Or would you rather make use of the shitty weapons and turn them into what you hopefully want, or something close to it?

Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-30 04:00:37 Reply

At 3/29/10 11:55 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: Would you rather keep collecting these shitty doubles and triples of certain items with no use whatsoever for them, while waiting and waiting for a hat to randomly come to you? Or would you rather make use of the shitty weapons and turn them into what you hopefully want, or something close to it?

Considering on average I put in about 4 hours for each unlock I would love to see the doubles and triples rearing their head ijn the slim hope that I can craft something good in the future, not a shitty Heaves's Football Helmet like last time.

Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-30 05:33:54 Reply

At 3/29/10 10:55 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Durp durp, that's easily solved: you can only get items while you get points (and possibly just ban any idle servers out there)

People would still use scripts that continuously fire their gun, thus getting them the points they need to get items. You can't stop idlers, someone will always find a way around the system.

Anyway, what's the fun in knowing what item you'll get next? Getting the same item twice encourages players to keep in playing, and it's when you get the item you want is when you have a sense of accomplishment. I'm not a huge fan of the crafting system, but several players love it, and it does add a new element to the game.

In short, nothing needs fixing.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
Racoonmario
Racoonmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-30 05:41:47 Reply

At 3/29/10 10:18 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote:

BACK IN THE DAY, WE ONLY HAD FOUR DIRECTIONS AND ONE BUTTON!
I think the crafting system is O.K. Three refined metals for a random hat (that's 72 items for you) may sound excessive, but if everybody had a ton of hats wouldn't be special anymore.
And as already mentioned, crafting two hats into a new one is your own choice. You know the risks, the question is whether to take them or not.
Personally, I would never craft two hats into one since you can trade them once the feature to do so is there.
Except if it's the same hat twice and the hat itself is really shitty too e.g. Trophy Belt (imo, of course). Then I'd just craft away.

BBS Signature
Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-30 05:44:14 Reply

Moving away from all of this arguing, has anyone here considered buying something from the VALVe store? I've always wanted to get a L4D movie poster, however, I've always been really fond of this totally awesome 'Force-a-nature' shirt. However, with the shipping costs, and exhange rates, it may be a while away.

Team Fortress 2 Crew

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew 2010-03-30 05:45:13 Reply

At 3/30/10 05:33 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: In short, nothing needs fixing.

Hunter pouncing detection nee-

Wrong game :3

>_>