New Topic Respond to this Topic
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 3/24/10 09:11 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: Well, I had been thinking it more as a Big Daddy-like suit:/

Yah, I know what you're talking about, but it would be a bit too much.
Plus, the engie wouldn't be short anymore ;)

mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 11:54 AM Reply

I think Engi could use different types of sentries, like a rocket sentry or a flamethrower sentry. Rockets move slowly, but deal as much as damage as Soldier's rockets do. Flamethrowers have a short range of fire, therefore best when built in corners or narrow spots. Ice sentries and electric sentries would be also cool. Both have a short range of fire, by the way.

Ice sentries deal no damage, but greatly slow down the target for 5 seconds or so. At this point, they take twice as more damage from all melee attacks. The target will be shattered into pieces if killed by a melee weapon. Also note that pyros can thaw their teammates, but not themselves.

Electric sentries fire a "thunder" on the target. They deal very small damage (-5HP or so), but the target, due to the shock, will be unable to use any weapons for like, 4 seconds. However, perhaps due to the adrenaline boost from the shock, the target moves slightly faster until the shock wears off, enabling them to outrun their enemies. So, scouts won't have much trouble with these sentries.

Only one of these sentries can be equipped by the Engi at a time, alongside the normal sentry. As a downside, equipping one of these might have Engi carry less metal or something.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Sweeper128
Sweeper128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 07:30 PM Reply

Sometimes, none if you make any sense.

I predict the Update will appear late April/Early May - Out of the way of the L4D2/L4D1 DLC and before Portal 2 appears.

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature
visiblecrumpet
visiblecrumpet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 3/24/10 11:54 AM, mrty wrote: I think Engi could use different types of sentries, like a rocket sentry or a flamethrower sentry. Rockets move slowly, but deal as much as damage as Soldier's rockets do. Flamethrowers have a short range of fire, therefore best when built in corners or narrow spots. Ice sentries and electric sentries would be also cool. Both have a short range of fire, by the way.

Ice sentries deal no damage, but greatly slow down the target for 5 seconds or so. At this point, they take twice as more damage from all melee attacks. The target will be shattered into pieces if killed by a melee weapon. Also note that pyros can thaw their teammates, but not themselves.

Electric sentries fire a "thunder" on the target. They deal very small damage (-5HP or so), but the target, due to the shock, will be unable to use any weapons for like, 4 seconds. However, perhaps due to the adrenaline boost from the shock, the target moves slightly faster until the shock wears off, enabling them to outrun their enemies. So, scouts won't have much trouble with these sentries.

Only one of these sentries can be equipped by the Engi at a time, alongside the normal sentry. As a downside, equipping one of these might have Engi carry less metal or something.

-Rocket sentry would make no sense. The regular lvl 3 sentry already does more damage your just slowing it down.
-Flamethrower sentry would hardly be useful for anything else besides 2fort. Not a lot of corners in other maps and even then once the enemy feels the flames they would back right behind the corner, proving it useless.
-Ice sentry has the same problem.
-Electric sentry just sounds like a sandman with improved accuracy in exchange for speed and range for the victim.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 3/24/10 07:30 PM, Sweeper128 wrote: Sometimes, none if you make any sense.

I lol'd when I read this.Try to find why.

I predict the Update will appear late April/Early May - Out of the way of the L4D2/L4D1 DLC and before Portal 2 appears.

Uh, yay?

RandomExploit
RandomExploit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 24th, 2010 @ 11:06 PM Reply

Why the fuck did I even mention the PDQ.

I regret doing so.

BLU Wins
UNFUNNY TF2 PUN OR SOMETHING HERE

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 02:47 AM Reply

imo Valve is focusing on making some sort of offensive gameplay style for the engie, if not it'd be cool if he had a weapon that had heaps of health and armor (but was harder to repair or something,) that could weaken/freeze/stun/slow/delay the enemy and allow team mates to fire at them or something, something like that would be cool anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Sweeper128
Sweeper128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 3/24/10 08:22 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 3/24/10 07:30 PM, Sweeper128 wrote: Sometimes, none if you make any sense.
I lol'd when I read this.Try to find why.

Har-de-har slipped key...

I need to play again, my Steam Rating is probably critically low...

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature
mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 06:02 PM Reply

I keep having ideas about what Engi needs in the update, and I wish to keep them coming. HeavyTank, do you remember your camera idea? Well, my idea is quite similar to that. A buildable security camera which extends itself to the ceiling, decreasing it's chances of getting noticed. This camera makes a beeping sound when it detects an enemy, which can only be heard of the Engi who built it. Followed by the beeping sound, whoever caught on camera will be heard, even cloaked enemy spies (e.g. 2 enemy soldiers and a pyro detected), buying time for the Engi to prepare. I'm not sure how much of a good idea it is, especially considering that pyros rely heavily on ambushes, which would be ruined by the cameras, and that spies already have enough trouble with all the spy checking enemies.

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 08:07 PM Reply

I don't want them to change buildings at all, just give the Engineer some new wrenches ala the Spy update.

Offensive Engineer Wrench
(+) 1.5x build speed
(-) 1.5x metal needed to upgrade

for those annoying bastards that like dropping Lv1s on the frontlines and shotgunning people

Maintence Engineer Wrench
(+) 1.5x less metal needed for repair work
(+) Only needs to hit once to knock off Sappers
(-) Significant damage loss against people

for TEAMWORK engineers

and like a shotgun i guess
that... i dunno
does stuff
like uh
more damage against high HP foes, less against low HP foes
or something
makes frontline engies do moar work

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 3/25/10 08:07 PM, SapphireLight wrote: I don't want them to change buildings at all, just give the Engineer some new wrenches ala the Spy update.

These are perhaps some of the best ideas I've heard of so far.

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 3/25/10 08:07 PM, SapphireLight wrote: I don't want them to change buildings at all, just give the Engineer some new wrenches ala the Spy update.

Offensive Engineer Wrench
(+) 1.5x build speed
(-) 1.5x metal needed to upgrade

for those annoying bastards that like dropping Lv1s on the frontlines and shotgunning people

Maintence Engineer Wrench
(+) 1.5x less metal needed for repair work
(+) Only needs to hit once to knock off Sappers
(-) Significant damage loss against people

for TEAMWORK engineers

and like a shotgun i guess
that... i dunno
does stuff
like uh
more damage against high HP foes, less against low HP foes
or something
makes frontline engies do moar work

Heh, do you really think that they're going to put some minor changes in the game in the very last clas update?
Please.
Mrty, your idea isn't bad, although the beeping sounds should be heard by everyone..maybe a camera that can spot targets in a specific area (when you upgrade it it has a bigger AOE), making them visible through walls and receive minicrits...bad news is, no sentry for the engie... :P

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 25th, 2010 @ 11:08 PM Reply

Minor? that shit ain't minor

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 07:30 AM Reply

At 3/25/10 11:08 PM, SapphireLight wrote: Minor? that shit ain't minor

It is, when you compare it to sticky/targe, shotgun/banned etc.

ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 3/26/10 07:30 AM, HeavyTank wrote: It is, when you compare it to sticky/targe, shotgun/banned etc.

I wonder if Valve will actually implement many new buildings if any though. Like they said, the Engineer has such a large footprint in the game - a good engi can basically make or break a game, similar to a Medic, though perhaps not nearly as rewarding. I can't blame Valve if they don't want to mess around with the tried-and-tested formula too much.

Personally, I just hope the new maps they include are good. The ones included in the War update were a little lacklustre to be honest.

BBS Signature
TiberiumCrystalKutu
TiberiumCrystalKutu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 11:43 AM Reply

I wanted to say that... look at all VALVe "new" weapons. They have something fun on them(for e.x. the buff banner is a lol flag from a soldier or the sandvich, is well a SANDVICH:D ). I bet we should stop saying about hi tech robots and elemental sentries and just try and think what would be fun(like a sentry throwing Wooden Bull Heads because engie is from Texas:D

Plus, I bet VALVe will want to make the update rememberable, like all updates so it may publish new weapons that may seem OP for the engie at april fools day, pick up the LHIUODJA OPPPPPPPPP comments and then release the new updates, or imo it would be better if they do...

ENGI WARS. Maps where engies build their sentries on small platforms they drive via a drivnig wheel in a protected platform section so they fight each other :D

ShoopDaToaster
ShoopDaToaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 03:17 PM Reply

Here's my ideas for the Engie's update.

Fake sentry-
A level one sentry that you build but when it is sapped,it causes an explosion and makes the Spy die.
Pros-
Unsappable
Gets enemy spies away

Cons-
Explosions do 1/2 of the sentry's Max health
Stuck at Level 1

OR-
Flame Sentry-
A sentry with 2 of The Pyro's flamethrowers rigged on it. It can hit spies if it sees them uncloak, and when sapped will blast them with a tiny bit of flame, making them noticeable.

Pros-
Spy-Away protection
Burns the Spah

Cons-
They can uncloak offscreen
Short range flamethrower

OR...
Doubler(shtogun upgrade)-
Has 2 kinds of ammunition-
One has a REALLY large spread
the other shoots a mini-explosive(can rocket jump,but not that much)

Pros-
2 kinds of ammo
Longer range

Cons-
Explosive is slow

OR FINALLY..........
BLU Streak Beer-(LUNCHBOX ITEM)
Gives the Engineer 10% Speed and Max health,but makes him a bit drunk(70% accuracy)

Pros-
Stats last 1 minute
More health

Cons-
Less accuracy
Beer needs to be refilled afterwards(weapon drops)

MOSKAU! MOSKAU! I EAT YOUR SANDVICHES! YOU SUCK! HA HA HA HA HA! HEY!
Characters from left to right--
YTR, Reinforcments,Pants Robot,Kerezon,David the Sauce,Semelon and Me.

BBS Signature
mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 3/26/10 03:17 PM, ShoopDaToaster wrote: Here's my ideas for the Engie's update.

Fake sentry-
A level one sentry that you build but when it is sapped,it causes an explosion and makes the Spy die.

That's not a bad idea actually, spies would have to think twice before sapping one.

OR-
Flame Sentry-
A sentry with 2 of The Pyro's flamethrowers rigged on it. It can hit spies if it sees them uncloak, and when sapped will blast them with a tiny bit of flame, making them noticeable.

If you take a look at visiblecrumpet's reply to my update idea a few pots above from here, he already explained why short range sentries are a bad idea. The enemy would just back away when hit by the flames, then easily take the sentry down from there.

OR...

Somehow I don't like this idea. It seems too random. A "mini explosive" for a shotgun? Also, the "large spread" shotgun doesn't seem to have any disadvantages, so what's to stop the user from having it instead of the normal shotgun? It needs to have cons, like smaller clip size or less damage.

Plus, I don't like the idea of Engi having quality and damaging weapons in general. Engies should have limited offensive capabilities, as their sentries are mainly what protects them. Kick ass weapons for Engi would make them too powerful.

OR FINALLY..........
Gives the Engineer 10% Speed and Max health,but makes him a bit drunk(70% accuracy)

I like the idea, but why "BLU Streak"?

What do you mean by that?

mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 05:15 PM Reply

How come I always realize that I forgot to say something in my previous post, and end up double posting? Speaking of which, why exactly would double posting be harmful? Why do people say that they are sorry for it?

Anyway, I'm about the click the TF2 icon in my desktop for the first time in weeks... I haven't played it for a long time, and I hope it's still not stale for me... It's one of my favorite games ever, and it's one of those few games that I bought without knowing anything about it (it was a Steam friend's suggestion), yet never regretted buying it.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 26th, 2010 @ 07:32 PM Reply

At 3/26/10 03:17 PM, ShoopDaToaster wrote: Here's my ideas for the Engie's update.

Fake sentry-
Pros-
Unsappable
Gets enemy spies away

Cons-
Stuck at Level 1

You're forgetting the fact that it doesn't actually HELP anyone..

OR-
Flame Sentry-

Pros-
Spy-Away protection
Burns the Spah

Cons-
They can uncloak offscreen
Short range flamethrower

Wouldn't work, the flamethrower range is pathetic compared to the sg's range...

OR...

Pros-
2 kinds of ammo
Longer range

Cons-
Explosive is slow

Meh...switching ammo types?Meh..

OR FINALLY..........

Pros-
Stats last 1 minute
More health

Cons-
Less accuracy

Again, they are "minor" changes compared to the Soldier/Demo overhaul...
They will create something original, practical and funny..and if they don't, the community will whine until they do ;)
Also, I agree with TBK, they should release a fake engineer update for the 1st of April, and whoever sends a letter of complaint will get a special "donkey hat" that his characters will be forced to wear for a week.

Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Fake sentry-
Pros-
Unsappable
Gets enemy spies away

That's a pretty fantastic idea. It's a sentry that can only be level 1, but still looks like, and works like, a level 1 sentry. It causes a explosion, but takes out only 1/2 of it's health. This would introduce more of a 'thinking' factor into the game, causing the Spy to question as to why the engineer would place a level 1 sentry there.

Cons-
Stuck at Level 1

Fair enough.

That's pretty suitable for the engie, as in the Meet the Engineer video you can see him drinking a bottle of beer.

Pros-
Stats last 1 minute
More health

Mhmm.

Cons-
Less accuracy

I'd say if that happened, then the beer would just refill over time like the Jarate and Bonk!.
________

In other news, I've bought L4D2 (completely unrelated, which is why I'll stop here), and also I've become a huge fan of Arena mode. What's everyone's favourite gametypes/maps, and why?

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 02:03 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 01:03 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote:
At 3/26/10 03:17 PM, ShoopDaToaster wrote: Fake sentry-
That's a pretty fantastic idea. It's a sentry that can only be level 1, but still looks like, and works like, a level 1 sentry. It causes a explosion, but takes out only 1/2 of it's health. This would introduce more of a 'thinking' factor into the game, causing the Spy to question as to why the engineer would place a level 1 sentry there.

I like the whole booby-trapped sentry idea as well, actually. And if the engineer can trick a spy into sapping it with some teammates around, they all get hurt >:D

BBS Signature
mrty
mrty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 05:07 AM Reply

Meh, I played TF2 yesterday the first time in weeks, and I've come to a decision: I really got bored of it and I'm about to uninstall it. I do know that I'm going to be re-installing it in a few months (or maybe weeks), but at the moment it takes up too much disk space, and I can't install Sims 3: World Adventures because of it. I never had a chance to play that one. I also hate the time that Steam games take to download, but it's worth it.

I'll keep posting in this thread, but frankly, not as much as I used to.

Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 05:39 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 05:07 AM, mrty wrote: Meh, I played TF2 yesterday the first time in weeks, and I've come to a decision: I really got bored of it and I'm about to uninstall it.

YOU... FUCKER!

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 05:42 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 05:07 AM, mrty wrote: Meh, I played TF2 yesterday the first time in weeks, and I've come to a decision: I really got bored of it and I'm about to uninstall it. I do know that I'm going to be re-installing it in a few months (or maybe weeks), but at the moment it takes up too much disk space, and I can't install Sims 3: World Adventures because of it. I never had a chance to play that one. I also hate the time that Steam games take to download, but it's worth it.

My mom has every game in the Sims series, so I get to play a bit every now and then..and let me tell you, it won't keep you playing for long.
And it seems to me that you're one of those persons who switch "favorite games" every week or something...how could you possibly get bored of TF2 in the first month, especially with all this new stuff?
At that time I was playing for 5 hours every day...

About the fake sentry: what the hell people?
You're forgetting that you actually can't upgrade that sentry, so you're stuck with a LV1 piece of crap that is just good against spies (but it blows up, so it isn't THAT good anyway).
I have to say that any building that is unsappable (or reacts to sapping) would mess up the balance of the game...faster de-sapping tool, yes, buildables that react to sapping, no.

ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 05:43 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 05:07 AM, mrty wrote: Meh, I played TF2 yesterday the first time in weeks, and I've come to a decision: I really got bored of it and I'm about to uninstall it.

Have you got an external hard drive or something, or even some blank DVDs lying around? Just create a backup restore file so you don't need to re-download the whole thing. You'll only need to download any patches etc that have been released in the meantime.

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 05:45 AM Reply

At 3/27/10 05:42 AM, HeavyTank wrote: I have to say that any building that is unsappable (or reacts to sapping) would mess up the balance of the game...faster de-sapping tool, yes, buildables that react to sapping, no.

Oh yeah, and a flamethrower sentry or a fucking mech suit totally wouldn't mess up the game balance would it?

BBS Signature
Simple
Simple
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 06:14 AM Reply

An idea that I have just had is actual mines. If someone stands on said mine it explodes with a small radius. Can only carry 1 though and only 1 can be placed by you at any one time. If shot by enemy soldiers, demos or anything really it explodes and does damage to anybody in the vicinity regardless of team. Replaces the pistol so its a rather large sacrifice, considering how its your only medium - long range weapon.

It could be used to keep points secure, keep flanks pinned down and also help to stop spies to a lesser degree.

RandomExploit
RandomExploit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

I can't believe how much I trolled myself reading anything related to Engineer update-related ideas.

As if this wasn't enough

BLU Wins
UNFUNNY TF2 PUN OR SOMETHING HERE

BBS Signature
newgroundskeeperjim
newgroundskeeperjim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Team Fortress 2 Crew Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 01:36 PM Reply

I want a conflagration-based sentry! Level one will be at the same range as Pyro, less potent, same speed, etc. Level two will be almost equal. Level three trades in rockets for Molotovs in a makeshift cannon attached. I know I didn't put as much thought into this as others, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

SirKillington is your new god.
Mongo just pawn... in game of life.

BBS Signature