New Topic Respond to this Topic
tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 15:42:41 Reply

I'd like to make some typing games. Going by tutorials I've found, I think I could make games similar to: Police Quest, Ninja Flu, Zork, the Trilby games, and probably more games that include text and/or use a text-typing interface. That aspect of it doesn't seem too difficult. Nor does it seem too difficult to track typing errors or speed. What I'm having trouble with is maybe the simplest part...or just obscure...

In a basic typing test, you have a block of text on-screen and a cursor. The cursor shows you what letter you have to type next. There would also be some visual indicator of errors, such as a letter changing color. (Example.) How do I build that kind of text interaction into a Flash game?

And (important): How do I do it efficiently, so that I can add or replace text with little-to-no work?

Also: How would I change the "active field" (my made-up term) as in Typing of the Dead or Typer Shark, games where there are multiple words on-screen and typing the first letter of one of them locks the player into that word?

Those are my specific problems. I don't expect to get all the answers here. If you could point me to tutorials or Flash game examples, though, that would help.

Thanks.

HailFire
HailFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 15:57:05 Reply

How're this and this for examples?

El-Presidente
El-Presidente
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:00:48 Reply

Learn actionscript yourself. You just basically asked how to make the whole game. Learn it at AS: Main.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS
8=================================>
...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature
tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:10:15 Reply

I had hoped this line in the rules:

<blockquote>Posting "Use the search", "Use Google" or similar messages without providing relevant links.</blockquote>

...would deter people from posting jackass comments like that.

HailFire
HailFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:14:06 Reply

At 1/13/08 04:10 PM, tamarind wrote: I had hoped this line in the rules:

<blockquote>Posting "Use the search", "Use Google" or similar messages without providing relevant links.</blockquote>

...would deter people from posting jackass comments like that.

Where the bloody hell did you pull that from?

He not only didn't tell you to 'use the search', but he also gave you a relevant link: AS: Main, where you can find loads of links to learn actionscript.

Get your head out of your ass if you want people to help you.

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:15:11 Reply

At 1/13/08 03:57 PM, HailFire wrote: How're this and this for examples?

Thanks for trying to help, but it's not difficult to trigger animations through a textbox. I need tutorials or examples that will help me with the specific problems I mentioned in my post.

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:18:42 Reply

HailFire, I believe that would qualify as trying to smartass your way out of breaking the rules. Everyone knows where that link is--I knew about that link over a year ago. It's not helpful, and it's not relevant.

Now I'm treading close to backseat moderating, so I'll shut up. Just know that it's not cool to post comments like that. I'm telling you this as a guy over 30 who's read forums like this since he was a kid. It never was cool, and it never will be. It helps no one.

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 16:29:38 Reply

At 1/13/08 04:15 PM, tamarind wrote:
At 1/13/08 03:57 PM, HailFire wrote: How're this and this for examples?
Thanks for trying to help, but it's not difficult to trigger animations through a textbox. I need tutorials or examples that will help me with the specific problems I mentioned in my post.

CORRECTION: Actually, QWERTY Warriors 2 does look like it might help with that "active field" problem. The game doesn't work (you can button mash your way through it), but it does seem to lock you into a word sometimes. Maybe there's a line of code I could glean from that.

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 17:29:29 Reply

I found this website using "QWERTY Warriors 2" as a keyword. Air Typer and Touch Typing look especially good. How much this will help, I don't know--at least it's examples.

It looks like maybe one could create a symbol for each letter (a monospace font) and use ActionScript or player input to arrange those symbols. If the symbols were arranged on a grid, letters could be targeted one after another.

I'm thinking a tile-based game tutorial might help?

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-13 18:05:26 Reply

More examples here. From Barracuda, it looks like monitoring last characters typed in a textbook automatically locks the player into an "active field." So, that's not difficult. (I'm assuming it would work the same without a textbook, if you just monitored last characters typed and looked for whole words.) Now I need to experiment with Key Queue, Mad Libs, and Password (which were recommended in previous typing game threads) to figure out which one works.

King of Typing does the same thing as Barracuda, only it looks much better.

Save the Sailboat Race from FreeTypingGame.net confirms my suspicion about not needing a textbox. They even made it so you have to start a word over if you type one letter wrong--a good, practical, solution that influences gameplay. Another interesting thing: Those games all seem to draw from the same external file. That would be an easy way to change a word list.

tamarind
tamarind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to a typing game in Flash: tutorials? 2008-01-17 11:29:30 Reply

The creator told me button mashing was intentional in QWERTY WARRIORS 2. It was a "rampage" power up. I guess by typing fast and keeping my eyes on the letters, I missed the skull icon.

The key to typing games seems to be the Selection class, especially text input focus.