00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl

16,646 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 15:08:30

Well i recently submitted - [Comfort] - To the AP, and i thought i'd post a tutorial on how i made the Lead in the song.

Stufz u n33d:

3x OSC (no joke, you really need this :D)
Fruity Plugin's
CamelPhat3 (Get the demo if you cant get it, or just pirate it :P)

Once you have these, lets get's started!

Open up the 3x OSC in a new channel and set it to FX channel 1. Now change OSC2 to a Saw wave, and change the OSC3's volume to 0%. "Wow awesome! we just created a Saw!" (not)
Anyway, in the 3xOSC select the "MISC" tab, and set the Polophony to 2, and select "Porta" (portamento). Now set the "Slide" knob, to 0:12 (About halfway). That's the OSC sorted for now.
Open up your Mixer (F9), and select FX channel 1. Now to add the Effect's (Such as Reverb).

Now add these VST's to you FX channel:

Fruity Reeverb2
Fruity Stereo Enhancer
CamelPhat3
Fruity Multiband Compressor
Parametric EQ

All which should be set as
THIS

As for CamelPhat3, set it to either option of, GTR American Clean or GTR American Crunch. Each one make's a nice sound.

Now all you need to do is create a melody!

NOTE'S:

I made this tutorial because i was bored, and i'm sick of seeing people use the "Commercial Trance" Preset from Z3TA+. I just thought it'd be better showing people they can create decent lead's with the 3x OSC :3

Cheer's,

- Koriigahn

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 15:15:15

Awwww, makes me wish I could actually afford a real audio program :'(

quarl BandCamp

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 15:36:26

At 1/6/08 03:15 PM, Quarl wrote: Awwww, makes me wish I could actually afford a real audio program :'(

Well there's always the illigal alternative (LOLYEAHRIGHT)

But seriously, all you need is a VST like the 3xOSC, and Reaper and you can easily make something like the above :)

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 15:40:13

Here's another way:

Take a 3xOsc. Set the 3rd osc's volume to zero. Set the second one's shape to saw. Set the first one's shape to saw. Turn the first oscillator's fine pitch to +37. Leave the rest of the knobs alone.

Next, go to "INS." Select the "Pitch" tab. In the LFO section, turn Speed all the way to the left. Turn Attack to the first bar on the left. Turn Amount to the left VERY SLIGHTLY. Go to the "Filter" box next to it, and turn "MODY" up so it's between the first bar on the left and 0.

Now, go to the mixer. Add a chorus, a reverb, and a delay. Leave them on their default settings. Add a compressor with attack and release at 0.

Now play it! It should sound like the commercial trance preset of z3ta!

3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 15:57:01

DAMN YOU NAV, ILL GET YOU ONE DAY. (batman villian voice)

Nice one though, :D

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 17:11:05

i mostly use the 3x OSC for sweeps :P

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 17:23:51

At 1/6/08 03:36 PM, Koriigahn wrote:
But seriously, all you need is a VST like the 3xOSC, and Reaper and you can easily make something like the above :)

I don't think VST's work with garage band lol.

quarl BandCamp

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-06 18:16:37

At 1/6/08 05:13 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: I guess I could contribute to this thread later by uploading like 20 presets for the 3xosc or something

PLEASE? <3

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-07 11:25:35

Shall we just change the thread to a massive 3xOSC thread?

And B0UNC3, IT'D BE GR8 IF U DID AMIRITE?

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-07 13:21:59

Thanks for this.
I really needed it!
I've been wondering how to use 3xOsc for a while.
Now all you've gotta do is make it into a flash. :]

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-08 15:23:37

I'm hoping Navij can show me how he made his tutorial, then i'll be able to make some UBER LEET advanced tutorial's!

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-08 15:32:42

Added to the list, guys. Keep it up!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-01-08 16:21:03

wow ya'll just taught me a few things thank you very much :D

don't hate me because i make hip hop i ain't gonna say nothing i let my music speak for itself

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-03-06 22:40:13

At 1/6/08 03:15 PM, Quarl wrote: Awwww, makes me wish I could actually afford a real audio program :'(

Not like I'm trying to bump this thread, but I finally got the chance to upgrade to reason :D

Any one figure a 3 osc with thor :P ?

quarl BandCamp

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-03-07 17:03:33

Thank you very, very much!!

BOUNC3 that would be incredible!!!!

However the consequences would be that everything in the portal would be Bounc3y :[

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-16 23:28:42

Hey Korii thank you very much, I was about to buy Nexus, but it seems I can do all that stuff with the OSC!

THANK U GUYS!

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-16 23:56:49

At 1/6/08 03:40 PM, Nav wrote: Here's another way:

Nav how the hell did you discovered that???!?!?!¿!?¡¿!

Now play it! It should sound like the commercial trance preset of z3ta!

I've been trying to get a decent sound using the 3XOSC and the only thing I got was some kind of creepy organ with air -.-'

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-17 05:50:09

Link to song doesn't work :\

Worship.

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-17 06:01:52

Hey Nav, your synth sounds awesome!

Worship.

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-17 09:12:51

At 5/17/08 06:01 AM, Distortzion wrote: Hey Nav, your synth sounds awesome!

Thanks! Its actually a z3ta preset, transcribed onto the 3xOsc! :D

It wasn't all me, though, B0UNC3 helped me out a little bit (Not too much though), and I added some of my own touches.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-18 14:37:19

i are a nub with 303osc so forgive me, but which shape is saw?

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-18 14:59:29

At 5/18/08 02:37 PM, Gloudas wrote: i are a nub with 303osc so forgive me, but which shape is saw?

The ramp looking shape

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-18 16:46:31

Few things:
Try using the ramp saw provided with 3xosc also (it's next to the saw.)

Combine them, use either one, whatever.
Either way, add a FLANGER and create a chorus effect with that. There should be some preset FL Flanger chorus presets if you don't know how. Also, be sure to use the ADSR envelope! That's super important!

If you're making a hard trance lead, something you might want to try is going to the pitch envelope, turning all the knobs completely down except for DECAY (for which you should leave a little sliver) and then turn the amount knob all the way up, it will give the synth a big punch depending on how much decay you have.

For more of a chill trance lead, for example, add a bit of attack to the envelope. Otherwise, don't use attack.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-05-19 01:34:20

I just don't get how you guys come up with these sounds. I've tried to figure how to really utilize the 303osc but it seems like the things you change (except shapes) usually have so little effect on the sound that it's a waste of time.
I dunno, is there some better way of figuring how to make sounds like these than just guessing and checking?

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-06-24 03:54:08

Not meaning to bump this or anything but I just wanted to say how much of a big help this was to me. I was pretty confused on the 3xosc and now I'm making my own sounds. Does anybody wanna add their own synths to this list just so noobies (like myself) can learn more?

Who's your warden, baby?

BBS Signature

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-06-24 05:08:40

At 5/19/08 01:34 AM, Gloudas wrote: I just don't get how you guys come up with these sounds. I've tried to figure how to really utilize the 303osc but it seems like the things you change (except shapes) usually have so little effect on the sound that it's a waste of time.
I dunno, is there some better way of figuring how to make sounds like these than just guessing and checking?

I know what you mean. Commonly the problem here is you just don't know what the knobs you tweak will specifically change in the sound, therefore if it's not that prominent you won't really notice the difference. Someone who's more intelligent with synthesis can type up the more technically correct way to describe what happens to the sound, but sometimes explaining in layman's terms is what you need.

I'll try to go over a few of the controls, I don't have FL studio (and I have used only a few tmes briefly over the course of last year) on me so this might be a bit difficult but I'll start from where I can remember.

On the main INS tab, The Pan and Vol knobs are self explanitory

CRS (course) pitch knob adjusts the wave by semitones (a half step in notes). The fine pitch knob adjusts it by cents- so the CRS knob has a wider range of changing the pitch of the wave. CRS is moreso used if you want to "thicken" out your synths, possibly by tuning one to 0 semitones, one at 12 (or -12), and the third at 24 (or -24). The fine pitch detuning is moreso used if you want to slightly detune your synth, like in reese basses.

As for the other tab (INS?), which controls the ASDR envelopes, LFO modulation, and the cutoff filters, this is where it gets a bit more confusing.

I'll try and explain the cutoff filter section first:

Turn the resonance knob all the way to the left, and the cutoff knob all the way to the right. and select one of the filters, Fast LP, LP, or SVF LP. LP stands for lowpass, and cuts off the high frequencies. Turn the cutoff knob to the left, and you will hear gradually less of the higher frequencies ranges, because the more you turn the knob to the left, the larger the cutoff range will be. No select HP (which stands for highpass), and you will hear the opposite effect; when the cutoff knob is turned to the left, the lower frequencies are cutoff, and when turned to the right you can hear the lower frequencies. Experiment using this filter with different wave shapes.

I'll be honest and say I don't really know what Bandpasses and Notch Filters do...maybe someone can explain.

As for the LFO, select the VOL tab, and set the AMT (amount) button all the way to the right. You should notice that volume swells. Next to the AMT knob controls the speed I believe, so if you set it to the left, the LFO will squeeze the wave shape, making the volume swell in and out faster, and if turned to the right, making the volume swell slower, and possibly more noticeably as long as you don't overdo it. Same thing goes with Panning tab, it controls how the sound will gradually move from the left to the right, the CUT and RES LFO will gradually shift what frequencies come in and out, and the pitch, well modulates the pitch.

as for the sound envelopes...I believe 3xosc has attack, sustain, decay, hold, release, and maybe predelay, I can't remember. I don't really know how to explain hold and decay. But attack is how fast the sound comes in, if you set it to the right, the synth will fade in, set it to the left, the sound will instantly play. Sustain is how long the synth will sustain. If you set it atleast at 6 o'clock (I believe), the synth will continue to generate sound as long as the note is being sustained (meaning how long the note is, or how long you hold the note on your keyboard or whatever). Release is how long the note "rings out" after the note is done...and these examples relate to the volume envelope.

Also, the FL studio help file can be very helpful. Sometimes you just need to RTFM. I'm sure the creators can additionally give a more technically correct synopsis. Hope this helps someone though.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-06-24 12:05:23

At 6/24/08 05:08 AM, Lance wrote: I'll be honest and say I don't really know what Bandpasses and Notch Filters do...maybe someone can explain.

Bandpass allows only a small chunk of the sound to play, and the less resonance, the wider the chunk. The notch does the opposite, and mutes a chunk of sound. The more resonance the smaller the "notch" will be.

Also, the FL studio help file can be very helpful. Sometimes you just need to RTFM. I'm sure the creators can additionally give a more technically correct synopsis. Hope this helps someone though.

Yeah, that was a pretty good explanation.

The truth is, with mine, B0UNC3 showed me the basics and I just watered it down a bit. Other synths are impossible with 3xOsc, like FM synthesis, additive synthesis, granular synthesis, etc. 3xOsc is a great start with subtractive synthesis, though. Also, try messing with the phase knobs above each oscillator.

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2008-06-24 12:32:24

At 1/6/08 05:30 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: Anything with strictly 3 oscillators and adsr envelopes would do^^

Do that thing! That would be to awesome! I never saw any post of you on the bbs before :P but I listened to aaaall your songs :D

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2009-12-03 00:15:57

hi im twelve years old and i would like to see more of this

Response to 3x Osc Tutorial (trance Lead) Fl 2009-12-03 03:10:55

Wait a tick... this threads been around for a while...

quarl BandCamp