00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Cartoon Series Character Design

4,304 Views | 44 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is my character ALEX SERYOUA that will be the star of a series I have in mind for this year.
No idea when I'll get started but I've been throwing around some designs. This is what I did tonight.
The right one is so much better. It makes me excited about animating this thing.
What do you guys think?

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 03:04:01

it looks good but it looks like its gonna be hard to animate

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 03:04:53

heres a larger one.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 03:06:35

At 1/4/08 03:04 AM, jossospro wrote: it looks good but it looks like its gonna be hard to animate

well the glossy looking stuff and the shadows will probably be eliminated when action sequences take place but it shouldn't be too difficult to animate... in my opinion. haha

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 03:28:30

She looks like an E-surance lady! Ahhh!!

It looks good man, keep it up!

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 03:46:52

At 1/4/08 03:28 AM, raveninskyprime wrote: She looks like an E-surance lady! Ahhh!!

It looks good man, keep it up!

yeah! i love those commercials.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 04:05:02

Now with eyebrows! Oops. Can't believe i missed that.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 04:07:19

At 1/4/08 04:05 AM, danomano65 wrote: Now with eyebrows! Oops. Can't believe i missed that.

try drawing her from different angles or different positions.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 04:47:00

At 1/4/08 03:06 AM, danomano65 wrote:
At 1/4/08 03:04 AM, jossospro wrote: it looks good but it looks like its gonna be hard to animate
well the glossy looking stuff and the shadows will probably be eliminated when action sequences take place but it shouldn't be too difficult to animate... in my opinion. haha

well personally id leave that stuff in...its not hard or long if you approach it right...

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 13:05:46

well personally id leave that stuff in...its not hard or long if you approach it right...

I'm sorry, but i have to do this........ That's what she said.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 13:19:39

I personally like the first version better. She's much more detailed and doesn't look like the girl from the those stupid E-Surance commercials. Sorry folks, I hate those. But, they both look pretty good. Nice work. =)

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 13:31:08

I actually prefer the drawing style of the left (except for the head)
It looks more like a comic and is more clear.
The right one looks better but I think the left style has more potential to be better.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 16:00:42

At 1/4/08 01:19 PM, KittyKat87 wrote: I personally like the first version better. She's much more detailed and doesn't look like the girl from the those stupid E-Surance commercials. Sorry folks, I hate those. But, they both look pretty good. Nice work. =)

it's ok that you don't like the commercials. it's probably because your a girl. i have a weird crush on a cartoon character from insurance commercials. haha. weird.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 18:21:33

Facial expressions and poses.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 18:32:46

At 1/4/08 06:21 PM, danomano65 wrote: Facial expressions and poses.

I like the expressions, but I'm not too enthused with the poses (mainly the weird in-between one), perhaps you should also draw her sitting down, standing in a military posture (attention or at-ease).

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-04 23:19:36

At 1/4/08 03:02 AM, danomano65 wrote: This is my character ALEX SERYOUA that will be the star of a series I have in mind for this year.
No idea when I'll get started but I've been throwing around some designs. This is what I did tonight.
The right one is so much better. It makes me excited about animating this thing.
What do you guys think?

I'm sorry but I'm just not feeling those legs. I mean, there too far spreaded out and the feet are too sloppy. It's like jello meatloaf or something. Boh!

"Live The Life."

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-05 06:08:23

A few things.
1) Make the colors a bit darker, because you can barely see her on a white background.
2) She looks like the e-surance lady, but that's not a complaint.
3) The second version is much cleaner, and looks better, compared to the original.
I look forward to seeing what you'll do with this.

This account is no longer active. Let this signature serve as the only existing tribute to this account's former greatness.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-06 04:45:37

There is a promo with her running on my DevArt here- http://danomano65.deviantart.com/art/ALE X-SERYOUA-Promo-73925975

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-06 05:11:53

something about her just seems.. awkward... maybe its the crazy body armor but lack of anything on the head... maybe an ear piece or helmet? some sort of head accessory... maybe its just the incredible similarity to the e-surance lady that's bugging me.. or the fact that I'm thinking about it at all...

My Coding Portfolio (updated frequently)

If you stay in bed for long enough it will be socially acceptable to go to bed again

BBS Signature

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:20:56

Here's a comparison of the "old new" version and the newest revised version of Alex.

I've tried to eliminate the resemblance of esurance. I don't think i could take the comments on how she looks like that girl if I went with the design. The one to the right should be more fresh and original. Though the animation may reflect the style of the commercials, I don't want to have her be that girl.

So here's both of them.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:28:49

Looks great! I don't know if I like the original or the revised one better, heh, they're both stylish and drawn with different styles. :P Face is at much better on the new one though.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:33:21

And here's the revised expressions.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:33:55

In my opinion it was looking awesome before upgrade, but now it's looks even greater!! xD Keep going man! Good work!

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:35:37

At 1/6/08 04:45 AM, danomano65 wrote: There is a promo with her running on my DevArt here- http://danomano65.deviantart.com/art/ALE X-SERYOUA-Promo-73925975

I love the titties bouncing up and down as she runs.

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:40:13

The one on the right looks like a white Oprah......
Screw the comments and stick with the one on the left...... It looks fine.... when animated I can see a pretty nice style there.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 12:51:52

At 1/11/08 12:33 PM, danomano65 wrote: And here's the revised expressions.

Drop her nose down a bit.

I'd say you should work on streamlining the look of her body. Her face is really polygonal and simple, while her body is pretty rounded and and comparatively complex. Also, you should actually try some animation, rather than motion tweening. That preview run cycle just looks goofy, especially with what's supposed to be motion blurs coming from her arms and legs.

You've also got to do some turn-arounds. Especially for the head. Even if you like the one angle, and plan to use it the most, you'll be kicking yourself when you want her to look straight forward or to the side and you can't get it right. Make sure now that you can get a consistent look at different angles.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 17:09:23

At 1/11/08 12:51 PM, KupaMan wrote: You've also got to do some turn-arounds. Especially for the head. Even if you like the one angle, and plan to use it the most, you'll be kicking yourself when you want her to look straight forward or to the side and you can't get it right. Make sure now that you can get a consistent look at different angles.

oh i know. but good advice. I was going to draw up a front view and side. even a back.
and i had planned on making animations, the tween promo was simply a promo, i wanted to see a little motion from the drawing.

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-11 17:11:19

At 1/11/08 12:40 PM, coffeennicotine wrote: The one on the right looks like a white Oprah......

no more oprah.

the nose dropping worked.

thanks for the comments guys!

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-14 18:03:25

Here is another sample of her running. This time is from the front view. And it's actual animation, not just pieces tweened together.

http://danomano65.deviantart.com/art/ALE X-SERYOUA-Running-Frontside-74653905

Response to New Cartoon Series Character Design 2008-01-14 19:27:21

I think the first model you made suits an action flash much better. I wouldn't be able to the second one seriously.