New Topic Respond to this Topic
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Oct. 6th, 2009 @ 12:54 AM Reply

At 10/2/09 06:15 AM, Calamaistr wrote: This both makes sense as it doesnt, probably because im divided on intellectual property.
I see music as a sea of sound from wich we as composers take out certain notes and put them down in a pattern, we own our innovation but we dont own the music.

That's retarded.

So animators don't own their animations, because they picked out the colors and shapes from a sea of visual-ness?

Authors don't own their stories and poems because they picked the words out from a sea of language?

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Oct. 12th, 2009 @ 09:37 AM Reply

You know what.. Im tired of complaining about the audio portal, It's a loosing battle. No one can win, and therfore it is pointless to complain. So, too vent my frustrations, I vow from this day forward, for the next year, to find the most annoying, terrible, unbarably bad songs on NG's and vote 5 on all of them, and then find the most liked song's on NG's and BLAM them. Eventualy I hope that the terrible songs will will make A-BOT's top 5. and I'll keep doing this until the moderators fix the audio submission portal

Wish me luck, and if you dont wish me luck, then fuck you.

Zooloo75
Zooloo75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Oct. 12th, 2009 @ 09:45 AM Reply

Yes, a whistle system would be perfect.
It should help audio moderators out too.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Oct. 12th, 2009 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 10/12/09 09:37 AM, deathteknoX wrote: You know what.. Im tired of complaining about the audio portal, It's a loosing battle. No one can win, and therfore it is pointless to complain. So, too vent my frustrations, I vow from this day forward, for the next year, to find the most annoying, terrible, unbarably bad songs on NG's and vote 5 on all of them, and then find the most liked song's on NG's and BLAM them. Eventualy I hope that the terrible songs will will make A-BOT's top 5. and I'll keep doing this until the moderators fix the audio submission portal

Wish me luck, and if you dont wish me luck, then fuck you.

There's a paradox in there. Terrible, unbearably bad songs are those that are most liked.
The actual good stuff is 0'd enough already. Also, moderators can't do anything about the audio portal, all they can do is approve or ban new artists. Only the staff can 'fix' the audio portal.
So grow up a bit and live with how it is now. Getting more crap in the tops will not solve the problem(s).

OPQC
OPQC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Oct. 12th, 2009 @ 10:05 AM Reply

absolutily right. i just don't know how those ppl don't understand the copyrights, the LAW...

No music, no life.
No life, no good.

Ipwnurmom221
Ipwnurmom221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Nov. 8th, 2009 @ 12:37 PM Reply

I'd have asked about why i was banned (my material is my own work unless making it on FL studio of LMMS makes it belong to the writers of that software)... but after reading just the first page of this forum thread...

marcusg
marcusg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Nov. 12th, 2009 @ 05:24 PM Reply

If this was stickied I would of known not to pm wade. But I'll probably do it anyway, which was 5 minutes ago.

marcusg
marcusg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Nov. 13th, 2009 @ 04:25 PM Reply

It would be nice if there was a edit button too on these forums. I mean who doesn't have one in 2009?

I am posting here to find out why I was banned from submitting audio. I did not use any copyrighted material. Unless I uploaded the wrong file, it was called impatient game. Everything is pretty much my work. It was crappy first submission but I am too lazy to create another user account just to get banned again.

Maybe a audio mod might help.

zack7521
zack7521
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Nov. 16th, 2009 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 11/13/09 04:25 PM, marcusg wrote: It would be nice if there was a edit button too on these forums. I mean who doesn't have one in 2009?

GameFAQs

PSN smaish Games-Fat Princess, Rock band 2Castle Crashing The Beard fAQ/Walktrough

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Nov. 16th, 2009 @ 09:41 AM Reply

For all you people out there that still don't have a clue why they're banned - check this out.
Rule clarifications

If after that, you can still say it was your own and original work, there's another option. A while ago an audio moderator's account got hacked, and apparently the whole awaiting approval list got cleared. It might be the case that you were among the people that got unrightfully banned. If this is the case, go ahead and make a new account, normally it shouldn't happen again.

Radidsh
Radidsh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jan. 21st, 2010 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Hello, Newgrounds regulars and moderators! This is my first post, and I hope it is still okay for me to post in this topic. I have had a read through submission rules posted here and there, and I am sorry to bother you further about this, I just wondered if you could clear some of my silly confusion:

I still feel slightly unsure about how remakes of other songs are handled here. I make remakes of video game tracks from scratch, listening closely to the original tunes by ear. I also stated this in my first audio submission, uploaded by midnight after the 17th of January. For the most part nowadays, I remake old Gameboy tunes and try to modernize them a little, yet still trying to let them keep the same nostalgic feel.

I saw in the Audio portal that there are many similar submissions, being remakes of older videogame tracks (sounding really similar, like the definition of the word "remake" allows), but I still just wanted to make sure that everything is going in the right direction.

Primarily, I may be wrong, but I believe I somewhere read that there is no way to verify whether you have been banned or not (other than uploading another submission, though I would like to wait with doing so). If this is correct, would there be a way for you to verify if my situation merely is awaiting a moderator's approval? Just so I know I do not have to wait for several weeks when I was banned in the first place. =3

Again, I just wanted to be sure as I felt the rules confused me slightly. (Ie. "original work", does it count as that if I remade an old Gameboy tune from scratch and by ear?)

Sorry if I am being a bother here. ^^; I know you hard-working people must be quite busy and all of that. Do keep up the awesome work, Newgrounds is awesome! *Cheers for Newgrounds* ^_^

Kind regards from a twenty-one year old Norwegian who loves music in videogames!

Heya! Do you wonder what it sounds like to be on a wild sugar rush? Click here if you dare! =3

Go to the Review Request Club for amazing reviews of your work!

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jan. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:18 AM Reply

The problem about a whistle on the portal, is that considering we have a fuckton of zero-bombers on this portal... think about what they would do whit this newfound power? scary.... yesh...

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jan. 22nd, 2010 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 1/21/10 09:53 PM, Radidsh wrote: Hello, Newgrounds regulars and moderators! This is my first post, and I hope it is still okay for me to post in this topic. I have had a read through submission rules posted here and there, and I am sorry to bother you further about this, I just wondered if you could clear some of my silly confusion:

I still feel slightly unsure about how remakes of other songs are handled here. I make remakes of video game tracks from scratch, listening closely to the original tunes by ear. I also stated this in my first audio submission, uploaded by midnight after the 17th of January. For the most part nowadays, I remake old Gameboy tunes and try to modernize them a little, yet still trying to let them keep the same nostalgic feel.

I saw in the Audio portal that there are many similar submissions, being remakes of older videogame tracks (sounding really similar, like the definition of the word "remake" allows), but I still just wanted to make sure that everything is going in the right direction.

Primarily, I may be wrong, but I believe I somewhere read that there is no way to verify whether you have been banned or not (other than uploading another submission, though I would like to wait with doing so). If this is correct, would there be a way for you to verify if my situation merely is awaiting a moderator's approval? Just so I know I do not have to wait for several weeks when I was banned in the first place. =3

Again, I just wanted to be sure as I felt the rules confused me slightly. (Ie. "original work", does it count as that if I remade an old Gameboy tune from scratch and by ear?)

Sorry if I am being a bother here. ^^; I know you hard-working people must be quite busy and all of that. Do keep up the awesome work, Newgrounds is awesome! *Cheers for Newgrounds* ^_^

Kind regards from a twenty-one year old Norwegian who loves music in videogames!

Cover versions are allowed on Newgrounds.
Using audio material that is not created by you is bannable.
Making tracks out of premade loops is called Duplo Music and it's banned.
However, using samples (I say samples, not loops, as note by note sampled instrument) is ok.
The thread that can give you more info is
Awaiting Audio Approval?, there you should ask about ban and stuff.

deathteknoX
deathteknoX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jan. 25th, 2010 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 5/2/08 07:04 PM, Chronamut wrote: I don't feel sorry for new users.
Well I dont eather
Ive seen so much shit in the vg genre - and everywhere else - that I wish the bans were actually more stringant - in fact - you should be able to ban someone just because they suck - but thats my opinion.
so.. based on your above opinion... I think you suck and therfore you need to be banned
Also, I think the vg genre needs mods.
Question.. How do you ban a moderator? I know how, do you?
and you guys need content filters - for example - not receive any emails that has the words " why was I banned" all in one sentence :P
OF COURSE! why didn't I think of this before
in retrospect it really is hard sometimes to tell in vg if something is actually stolen..

Yah got that right.
I wonder just how difficult it would be to hide your music in a VG. of course you would need some kind of cheat code to unlock the hidden songs. why just thinking of this, I can recall over three dosen vg's that have hidden content. but then again, why would I tell you.

TheBardOfBlasphemy
TheBardOfBlasphemy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jan. 28th, 2010 @ 07:14 AM Reply

At 1/22/10 05:18 AM, Usernamemyarse wrote: The problem about a whistle on the portal, is that considering we have a fuckton of zero-bombers on this portal... think about what they would do whit this newfound power? scary.... yesh...

i thought that if you abused the whistle system (flagging submissions without good cause) your whistle status ended up being classed as "fully shite" and the mods just ignored anything you whistled after that.

if that's the case, bring it on. It would weed out some of the nasty fuckers.

Latest audio: Chicken Humpin' - Funny and retarded. No Sympathy for a Liar - You reap what you sow in Bard's vocalised version of Deathcalypse's supreme heavy metal.

BBS Signature
Ant-Boy
Ant-Boy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:29 AM Reply

Saturday, 22nd May 2010

Time: 7:30pm

Robot Day coming up, new Audio Portal system still not up, I am banned from Audio Prtal, I am an ANGWY!

Gamertag: AntonyMac

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:43 AM Reply

At 5/22/10 05:29 AM, Ant-Boy wrote: Saturday, 22nd May 2010

Robot Day coming up, new Audio Portal system still not up, I am banned from Audio Prtal, I am an ANGWY!

Do you know why you were banned?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 22nd, 2010 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 5/22/10 05:29 AM, Ant-Boy wrote: Saturday, 22nd May 2010

I donno who banned you but I listened to your submission. it sounds like a pre-made loop where you're just changing the pitch up over and over again then repeating. Doesn't sound like your own original work so thats probably why the mod banned you.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

roblox1492
roblox1492
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 07:26 PM Reply

can you unban me i was uploading to newgrounds audio portal and i had no idea what the rules were please uban

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 6/11/10 07:26 PM, roblox1492 wrote: can you unban me i was uploading to newgrounds audio portal and i had no idea what the rules were please uban

Sorry man but you can't get unbanned. You have to make a new account if you want to upload to the Audio Portal.

On a related note, "i had no idea what the rules were" isn't really a valid excuse. The rules are written clearly right before the 'Submit!' button:

> You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.
> Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.
> If your submission is not your own original work, you will be placed on a rejection list and held responsible for any repercussions.
> You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.
> If this is your first time contributing to the Audio Portal, you will have to be approved before your submissions are made available publicly (it's a quick process).

Even if they weren't, if I had just joined NG and wanted to submit audio, I'd definitely look for the rules and check if my submission isn't breaking any.

Anyway, I suppose the only thing you can do is make a new account if you want to upload any music to the Audio Portal, obviously next time abiding by the rules. Until the mods get new tools, then if an account is banned, it's banned forever.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 07:26 PM, roblox1492 wrote: can you unban me i was uploading to newgrounds audio portal and i had no idea what the rules were please uban

You mean you didn't see the rules clearly posted at the bottom of This Page?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! Jun. 13th, 2010 @ 12:12 AM Reply

At 6/12/10 12:14 PM, Envy wrote: You mean you didn't see the rules clearly posted at the bottom of This Page?

I got Audio banned after reading those because I never heard the rule (which I found out about later) that no song can contain any sample of a song that's copyrighted. I just assumed they meant submitting the file with no changes. It should have been obvious, but then again it was years ago and I was probably like 12 or 13 at the time.

It would be nice if we could find out when the Audio Portal is going to be redone; I'd like to submit some voice acting samples or something. Oh well :(

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

RealNC
RealNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 19th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

I'm trying to update a tag of my audio, but when I press "Submit", a dialog comes up and says that I'm banned?

What is happening? Is this a glitch? I can't see how I'm banned, since the submitted audio tracks comply with the rules. (And my PM inbox is empty, so there's notification about my submissions.)

These are my submitted audio tracks:

http://realnc.newgrounds.com/audio

RealNC
RealNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 20th, 2012 @ 09:33 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 06:34 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/19/12 06:14 PM, RealNC wrote: What is happening? Is this a glitch? I can't see how I'm banned, since the submitted audio tracks comply with the rules. (And my PM inbox is empty, so there's notification about my submissions.)
we do not notify users when we ban them. audio bans are permanent, so if you'd like to try again, create a new account. and don't make the same mistake twice.

My audio was not a MIDI rip. If I were to make a new account, I would upload the exact same audio.

Why was I not contacted for clarification before banning? I could have sent you the project files.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 20th, 2012 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 5/20/12 09:33 AM, RealNC wrote: Why was I not contacted for clarification before banning? I could have sent you the project files.

Mods do contact authors for clarification when they're unsure. If they don't get back to us within the week we just have to wing it. In this case I guess whoever banned you was confident in their own judgement.

p.s. i am gay

RealNC
RealNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 20th, 2012 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 5/20/12 09:42 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 5/20/12 09:33 AM, RealNC wrote: Why was I not contacted for clarification before banning? I could have sent you the project files.
Mods do contact authors for clarification when they're unsure. If they don't get back to us within the week we just have to wing it. In this case I guess whoever banned you was confident in their own judgement.

As I said, I can send the project files. Also, if banning is permanent, mods are too trigger happy. You should not treat other people like this. I am offended. This was rude.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 20th, 2012 @ 10:28 AM Reply

At 5/20/12 10:02 AM, RealNC wrote: As I said, I can send the project files. Also, if banning is permanent, mods are too trigger happy. You should not treat other people like this. I am offended. This was rude.

There are a lot of people to go through and it's simply not viable to contact every single person. We do the best we can with the tools we have, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes. It's not a big deal and it's nothing personal - I'm happy for you to make a new account and post your work in this thread and I'll make sure it's approved if it really doesn't break any rules.

p.s. i am gay

RealNC
RealNC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Audio Portal Bans - Stop Pm'ing Me! May. 20th, 2012 @ 10:34 AM Reply

Can my current username be changed? I'd like to register again with the same name.