00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm just gonna throw this out...

2,316 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 16:38:33

So I woke up this morning with a game idea. here it goes...

Its a zombie survival board game in the style of the board game RISK. there could be dice rolling to determine if you win the battle one coliding with a zombie piece. there are also weapon pieces.

how it would work is you have the board. and you have lets say 50 pieces. some are armor and weapons which up your chances of winning battles. But most are zombies. Some in groups some not. I haven't really any details as i just woke up today with the idea. I just wanted to throw this out to everyone.

I can do the sprites and graphics. I just need scripters and idea people. If your interested you can PM me or AIM me at iamkatieholmes or even email me here.

I just need some people to help me hammer out the project. It could easily be a collab project. I just thought it would be a twist on survival games. and the best survival games are zombie survival games.

So get to posting ideas and contacting me.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:02:37

no one likes my idea?

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:08:04

Wait more than 20 minutes to bump...

And try posting some of the artwork your going to use. Your BA wasn't bad, 3.06... But not too great either. Make some of the pieces and post a picture of them.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:11:26

what is BA?

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:16:09

Batting average = Ba

<3

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:16:50

Battleing Average. The idea sounds good. I would play this game.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:29:23

working on some art now

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 17:58:33

here's a sample title screen and 2 images that could be on the pieces. I like the silhouette look. kinda creepy.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 18:01:35

zombie 1

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 18:03:35

Zombie 2

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 18:37:40

Here's another for a group of zombies. If anyone wants to help figure out the inner workings of the game thats great but coders are needed Like i said before. It just came to me so nothing as been doneexcept these graphics. so that means who ever wants to help will obviously have jusyt as much say and rights to it as I.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 19:05:34

Your art is awesome, looks like it could work great. I really like the concept, if it's going to be online, make sure there's some kind of bonus action sequence or something to keep the player interested, it could be like a cinematic or mini-game or whatever. But this is cool, it really looks unique.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 19:12:31

good idea. anyone wanna help make the game?

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 20:55:23

here's another sample.

Concerning the UI of the game I'd wanna get some ideas from you guys. I want it simple and easy mainly point and click

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 21:01:35

I really like the style of your pictures and the idea
only thing im not sure is if you can animated stuff
that would work well with the game board style,
i mean ur pictures are kool but for gameplay your talking
about they can't really be used outside of backgrounds in loading screens
post a few objects you would expect to be in the game :)

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 21:15:09

here's how i see it working,

its like Stratigo not risk my screw up. the bord is automaticly set up with pieces from its library. the engine randomly places them on the board. you goal is to say... get to a safe area. so you move your piece and you can land on an opposing piece. if you do it could be a weapon armor or zombies if its zombies a new screen comes up in which you could maybe pick a weapon you have found to fight with then roll the dice to see if you win. if you do you get points.

Like i said though its a rough idea and could use ideas for tuning it up. that's where you guys come in. we just need ideas and a coder and possibly more artists.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 22:06:39

here's what a game piece could look like i guess. the number would be its strength.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 22:23:47

I'd like to help, but it seems like you've got the art department of things sorted, and that's really my only Flash skill, I'm not too good at actionscripting. (don't look at my profile for examples of art cos I've only got 1 shit animation, and believe me, I know it sucks) But the least I could do is maybe offer creative input. Eg: Maybe creepy sounds in the backing track of the game, like distant moans and ruffling and stuff, also, a really tense soundtrack.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 22:27:33

I can always use help with the art ideas and actual creating just contact me

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 23:38:50

one more zombie. contact me if you know actionscript well and are interested in helping

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 23:44:17

Oh and of course it's Zombie related. Try something more original buddy, instead of the one idea that hits just about 70% of Newgrounders minds first thing.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 23:52:13

At 11/27/07 11:44 PM, Smartdog wrote: Oh and of course it's Zombie related. Try something more original buddy, instead of the one idea that hits just about 70% of Newgrounders minds first thing.

Try something less fucking retarded, I haven't seen a proper boardgame in flash, let alone a zombie survival one. This idea is somewhat original, so shut the fuck up.

Topicstarter, your artwork seems good, but think the idea through a bit more, you've currently given no real details. Have a serious think about the gameplay style and shit, once you have more idea's on that down, pm me.

========|| WWWWWWWW>[-[Blog] - [Audio] - [Userpage] - [Flash] - [Last.fm]-]<WWWWWWWW ||========

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 23:54:04

whaens the last time you saw a good horror movie that wasn't a zombie flick? its been about 10 years for me. and yes most zombie flicks are horrible but there are those few good ones. I'm just a horror fan always have been. I guess i suck because i wanna do something that intrests me.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-27 23:57:35

At 11/27/07 11:54 PM, iamkatieholmes wrote: whaens the last time you saw a good horror movie that wasn't a zombie flick? its been about 10 years for me. and yes most zombie flicks are horrible but there are those few good ones. I'm just a horror fan always have been. I guess i suck because i wanna do something that intrests me.

Well, no need for the language from Vengeance, but you're right. If it interests you, you should do it, and anyways your artwork is pretty kick-ass as well. Sorry to kind of flame your idea.

~Smartdog

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 01:37:47

You really should think out your gameplay more. It sounds kind of interesting, but given the opportunity, I wouldn't play it.

I think it would be cool to model the board after a mall or something.

But you really have to think about this, what's the objective? What is going to make it interesting. Fighting off hoards of zombies can be fun, I doubt it will be in a board game.

I don't know, I think it can be good if you make sure you pay a lot of attention to the gameplay.

TimeGames.net - It's about time.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 01:56:28

well at first I thought you would be one of those people that say "I can do artwork" even though they suck at it, but your artwork was outstanding, great job

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 06:24:06

At 11/27/07 04:38 PM, iamkatieholmes wrote: So I woke up this morning with a game idea. here it goes...

Its a zombie survival board game in the style of the board game RISK. there could be dice rolling to determine if you win the battle one coliding with a zombie piece. there are also weapon pieces.

how it would work is you have the board. and you have lets say 50 pieces. some are armor and weapons which up your chances of winning battles. But most are zombies. Some in groups some not. I haven't really any details as i just woke up today with the idea. I just wanted to throw this out to everyone.

Been Done. Been done to death. Twilight Creations' "Zombies!!" has been successful enough to have five and a half expansion packs and a spin off with two more expansions.

Now this isn't just to knock your idea. I've been wanting to do a Flash version of Zombies forever. So I recommend you pick up a copy of Zombies, grab some of your friends who enjoy playing board games, and play it. Honest fun game.

Even then, you're going to need a nice, good, solid idea if you want the role of game designer to be taken seriously. Synonyms for games designer, here on the BBS, are about as worthy of merit as ideas guy, founder and scriptwriter.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 08:03:50

all good tips guys. but like i said in the first post, "It just came to me" and i just wanted to get your veiws before i started anything. of course I'll research and develop it more. I was just getting opinons and see if anyone was interested in helping figure the whole thing out. but thanks guys. keep them coming.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 12:57:12

mmm... Are you sure these are your art?

A year ago, I saw a nice flash shooting game in a zombie-movie official homepage where zombies appeared as silhouettes and you had to click them before they get you... I could swear your "drawings" are in fact from this game.

Well, I can't remember the link...and I could be wrong.

Can you provide a non-silhouette zombie art examples? or at least other non-zombie-based examples?

Also, can you provide any animation example? Your flashes don't show anything on your animation skills.

If you can make great drawings and animation, I can could help you making the game.

Response to I'm just gonna throw this out... 2007-11-28 13:59:24

Hmm I would be interested in coding this given you come up with a more planned out idea.
Pm with your idea in more detail or we can brainstorm and i'll wip up an test run engine to
see if it's anything like what your visioning.