New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 15th, 2010 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 2/13/10 12:12 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Reviewed Kirbyfemur's piece above me, so I guess I'm entitled to posting a WiP here, right?

It's Epic Classical by the way, so I expect praise :P.

7/10
Mostly for length. lol
Yes it does have that epic feel to it, but maybe a little too much? It feels like a lot of people are trying to write "Epic" classical pieces, but missing out on a lot of the subtleness of a lot of other kinds of classical types of songs.

at :15 one of the samples sounds like it ends to abruptly, and it feels like a hiccup when it goes with the other sounds that are being held out. After that i like the building of sounds with the snare starting up, but maybe come in with a single instrument playing a variation of the melody before bringing in the whole symphony.

Also the instruments carrying the melody sound like they're doing this weird thing of being just slightly out of sync with the other instruments.

It's nice, it has the epicness, but it needs way more substance in order to be a more listenable piece,I mean a song that can be heard multiple times and still be interesting, and able to heard different things with each listen, since most of the instruments are carrying the same melody/harmony.

I'll pm you this review just in case you don't get to see it in here =3

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 19th, 2010 @ 05:28 AM Reply

• O' (WIP)
    O' (WIP) by Kirbyfemur

Click to listen.

Score
    4.18 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity

An updated version of the song, now with no synth pads, and a slightly better eq!

Nothins
Nothins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 08:40 PM Reply

• Free sprits
    Free sprits by nothingmater

Click to listen.

Score
    2.88 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    New Wave
    Popularity

theres the link. But i just need some ideas to make it better, this is just the intro and part of the beginning. Its no where near done yet.
so keep that in mind

i like pie ^^

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 2/20/10 08:40 PM, nothingmater wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 13007
theres the link. But i just need some ideas to make it better, this is just the intro and part of the beginning. Its no where near done yet.
so keep that in mind

Well it seems to get out of synch near the end of the intro. At 0:29 to be exact is where the synth strings get out of synch with the rhythm. You need to tighten that up by either changing a rhythm, aligning the synth strings in the beginning with the rhythm in the percussion better, or just changing what you've written.

Once the piano sort of sound and perc rhythms come in it sounds good, but you stopped right at about where a significant change needs to take place. Personally I could hear some very nice Santana sort of guitar work going in there. Something laid back, but with a lot of detail. Or you could repeat the section actually and throw in some nice vocal work over top of it the second time around.

You might want to do something really off the wall and change up the rhythm so it is slower and more pronounced. Then over top of that you could create some nifty chord progressions with the piano and then lay down some nasty electric guitar or synth melody lines.

They one thing that I'm positive of is that the next section should be fuller than the one you finished this WIP with. It should expand where you left off by adding new instruments, or making things a bit more deliberate in your approach. For example like this....

You subdivide the beat like this in 4/4 time...

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

You can hear where your rhythm is now landing on every single division of the beat. Every single syllable in this counting rhythm is accented. What you could do is this in the next section...

1 e and a 2 e and a3 e and a4 e and a

If I didn't screw up the bold type in this example then that rhythm should probably create a more elongated feel to the next section making it easier to fatten it up. By doing this it would make it really easy to lay down some nice chords in the piano in however you see fit, and then layer a melody line of whatever you choose over top of it.

Also as I often joke with my buddy IO you can add about 5,000 filter effects to white noise and the kiddies here on Newgrounds will hail you as a musical genius. So if you want to go the easy route just ignore what I said, throw one 10 layers of white noise, and then 5,000 filter effects all automated to the enth degree. You would be guaranteed front page if you did that. ;-)

Hope you find this helpful and best of luck.

-Gravey-

BBS Signature
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 10:56 PM Reply

Sorry for the double post, but my bold type example above failed and I want to clarify it.

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a

What I tried to do was emphasize...

Beat 1
Beat 2 - and
Beat 3 - e - a
Beat 4

Hopefully that makes sense. When I tried to bold them in my example above it failed. Sorry.

BBS Signature
Nothins
Nothins
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Feb. 20th, 2010 @ 11:13 PM Reply

it helped a little, and i was able to contact the person who made the piano, and the opening sound. They say they might be able to help

i like pie ^^

EmperorCharlemagne
EmperorCharlemagne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 22nd, 2010 @ 04:04 PM Reply

So...

What is the difference between EQ, mixing, and mastering?

These are all terms I hear thrown about, but I have never known what they meant, really.

I use FL, and I twiddle around with filters, panning, and effects etc. Does that have anything to do with it?

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.
~Morton Feldman
Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature
p4c
p4c
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 23rd, 2010 @ 01:56 AM Reply

EQing is when you emphasize certain frequency ranges over other ones. EQ'ing is most important when dealing with individual instruments, to make sure no one instrument is interfering with other ones, or to improve the tonal qualities of an individual instrument. this is essential to having a good mix, which is...

MIXING comes before exporting your project, when you are taking the qualities of each individual instrument and making sure that they all work together harmoniously. EQing is part of mixing. balancing volumes between instruments is part of it as well. most of the adjustments, generally, is still done on the individual instrument level here, or certain parts of the track, but not as much on blanket overall effects and adjustments for the entire track.

MASTERING is that blanket stuff, to make your track sound good across different media, and to just make your track shine in general beyond what you've done in the mix. mastering also applies to entire albums, if you want a set of tracks to all have consistent levels, frequency ranges, etc. mastering is a whole different ball game, one that i'm not very experienced in, but it involves the use of compression, assorted effects like reverb, EQ'ing over the entire track, and things like exciters that i'm not entirely sure what they do but after toggling around with some do make tracks seem better.

SKEPPNER
SKEPPNER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:04 AM Reply

First of all i want to say hi to all since im new here. Great thread, really needed. Anyway this is a wip i've been working on during this weekend. Tell me what you think. And oh, i'm kinda new to make my own music so don't be to harsch on me. Thanks

Pojken - The Edge

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 23rd, 2010 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Here's a videogame esque trance song I started writing and I have about 2 minutes into it, but im gonna make a full length version around 4 minutes or so.

What do you guys think? I'm debating whether to drag out what I have already and really milk it, or keep it very non-repetitive.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Ossyx
Ossyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 29th, 2010 @ 07:42 PM Reply

Technologic ( WIP )

Going for a different style here. I got quite a few ideas to finish this one off. Any criticism would be great!

Hi

BBS Signature
gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 29th, 2010 @ 10:57 PM Reply

Here's a tiny snippet of a tech house track I'm working on. I'm really happy with it so far and it sounds great to me, but I don't have a subwoofer and my monitors only go down to 80 hz (don't really trust my headphones either) If anyone has a sub could you please listen and tell me if it sounds muddy at all?

http://www10.speedyshare.com/files/22692 480/download/Preview%203.mp3

DJHomeless
DJHomeless
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! May. 30th, 2010 @ 12:45 PM Reply

This is pretty much done, though I thought I might get some feedback here.

Download link:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/2270299 6/Ready_For_Departure.mp3

Droghead
Droghead
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 11:10 PM Reply

OMG IT'S A WIP!!!!!!!!

Electro Orchestral Piece 1

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jun. 24th, 2010 @ 02:05 AM Reply

hey guys. i wanted to see what you thought of my drumming.....so yeah
video
my drum set was pretty fucked when i played this but i did what i could.
the camera also diddnt pick up all the sound so it might sound like theres a lag somewhere in there

Celestica

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 10:32 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 10:58 AM, KgZ wrote: Here's a videogame esque trance song I started writing and I have about 2 minutes into it, but im
What do you guys think? I'm debating whether to drag out what I have already and really milk it, or keep it very non-repetitive.

Nice, I'm liking this track, i think you should extend it by adding more to the lead, like another synth or something. since the whole track i was thinking, the beat seemed way too upbeat to work with the piano lead that well by itself. However it could be just because the volumes aren't equal enough. All in all i captured the feeling of playing a japanese fighting game. Pretty cool, and i like the notes alot. It's really up to you if you think it would be better in a longer or shorter version.

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 10:40 PM Reply

Also, apologies for the double post but I forgot to post a link to my own WIP. Comments would be appreciated. I was going for a hardstyle-esque song, i got through the intro, right before the break and melody, wanted to get an opinion on if it sounds like it works or not.

Download

FlamingFirebolt
FlamingFirebolt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:35 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 10:40 PM, Cabbster wrote: Also, apologies for the double post but I forgot to post a link to my own WIP. Comments would be appreciated. I was going for a hardstyle-esque song, i got through the intro, right before the break and melody, wanted to get an opinion on if it sounds like it works or not.

The intro/break thingy sounds really cool and atmospheric. Altough after that it kind of looses energy. I personally don't like that synth you used for your melody. I doesn't feel strong enough for a hardstyle song. I would consider changing the synth. Maybe don't start with the cutoff down. But go from up to down instead ( With some kind of awesome FX ). Because it sounds a bit too empty at the part right after the intro.
The kick sounds decent. I geuss you would want a typical kick like this one. I would prefer one to goes a little bit deeper with less click maybe. Well, i know how hard it is to make an hardstyle kick and you did a better job then i could do >.>. Maybe add a little bit more distort :).
I hope you could use my comments.

BBS Signature
FlamingFirebolt
FlamingFirebolt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jul. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:38 AM Reply

Crap sorry to double post but,
i forgot my WIP.
Linky!
I was aiming for a electro/house song. But it's still missing something. If any of you could give advice to what to add/ get rid of that would be great.

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Jul. 4th, 2010 @ 02:43 AM Reply

At 7/2/10 07:38 AM, FlamingFirebolt wrote:
Linky!
I was aiming for a electro/house song. But it's still missing something. If any of you could give advice to what to add/ get rid of that would be great.

Thanks for the advice mate, and I agree with what you think needs to be done. Also, seeing as how hardly anyone replies in this thread, I'll have a go at helping you out as well, and maybe some other people who didn't get any comments/advice, though i'm not too familiar with electro/house.

I don't think that you should really get rid of anything, other than the background buildup with the single note is not appealing to me. Some things that I would suggest is adding more prominence to the bass riff, although it does increase in distortion later on, it doesn't seem to fit the place of a main riff. I'd say to have it at least as loud as the snare, so that the snare doesn't overshadow your riff.

I can't really tell whats missing, other than vocals, or to add more color to what you want the mood to accentuate, though that's optional. It seems like some effects would be way cooler if they were turned up a bit/tweaked a bit more. Personally i think this is more house than electro, cause it's more progressive than house.

Overall, you have a solid piece with enough in it to work out well.

nickbryant
nickbryant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Aug. 10th, 2010 @ 12:09 AM Reply

The piece above mine has a broken link ):

• Fractal Sound (WIP)
    Fractal Sound (WIP) by nickbryant

Click to listen.

Score
    4.50 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

(I apologize for the AP link. D:

Here's mine. A few things I need to know: How can I make the vocals (that havn't been added yet) sound robotic and similar to the vocals in "Raver's Fantasy" by Tune Up! I have FL Studio, so tips would be appreciated. I know it needs work on smooth transitions, especially at the end, so tips on what to do there would be appreciated as well as tips for making it longer.

Thanks !

jwhitt
jwhitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 12:55 PM Reply

second attempt!

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with this track and I'd appreciate it if you'd just give it a listen and let me know what it is that I can improve on to make it "flash game asset" worthy.

Battle Roads

Guitars are all Slayer 2... definitely would have sounded better if I had recorded them myself but I work with what I'm given, you know. It isn't loopable yet as I'm not sure I'm finished tweaking.

Thanks,
JWhitt

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 01:10 PM Reply

Well it's funny I used to give advice on Newgrounds long ago, and now I'm in need of advice.

Anyone who's familiar with the Hardcore genre (subgenre of Techno,) I'm in need of a pair of ears. Reason why is in the description. If there's anyone out there who could lend an ear, and some advice (looking for experienced Arists, mainly that on at least an indie label, or an experienced Artist who's reputation proceeds him and/or her.)

I will return the favor if ever needed, *may need a PM if you would like me to, I don't browse the NG BBS that much*

So anyways if anyone could give me some advice, It'd be much appreciated and I would return the favor (the best I can, anyways.)

Thanks in advance.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 01:11 PM Reply

• Shut The Fuck Up (WIP)
    Shut The Fuck Up (WIP) by Chemich

Click to listen.

Score
    4.35 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

You can tell I haven't posted in awhile, forgot the damn link.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Nov. 5th, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

Here's a little something I've been putting together. Check the song description for more info.

Just a couple of breaks ideas and a dubby twist at the end.

I've never really put my music out there like this, but I thought that this one could do with being torn to shreds. Do your worst :)

• [a*s*] - Klipklop (wip)
    [a*s*] - Klipklop (wip) by jarrydn

Click to listen.

Score
    4.76 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Nov. 5th, 2010 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Oh, and obviously I'll go through this thread and offer any advice I can, though my musical knowledge is slightly restricted :]

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Nov. 5th, 2010 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 8/10/10 12:09 AM, nickbryant wrote: Here's mine. A few things I need to know: How can I make the vocals (that havn't been added yet) sound robotic and similar to the vocals in "Raver's Fantasy" by Tune Up! I have FL Studio, so tips would be appreciated. I know it needs work on smooth transitions, especially at the end, so tips on what to do there would be appreciated as well as tips for making it longer.

I'd make the kicks meatier, and maybe drop them in the backbeat as well (whilst losing the clap).

The song doesn't sound particularly structured. Needs breakdowns/builds/drops. If you don't listen to much dance music, I'd suggest you start now ;D. Grab a piece of paper and try to jot down a visual reference of what's going on. Most dance music genres usually evolve in sets of 32 bars. I'd work on trying to build tension between parts with automated effects and crazy sounds.

The synth part you bring in at 0:26 sounds unusual. I'd probably lose it.

Also, it needs bass. Which you'll probably end up sidechaining to the kick :].

Having said that, the synths sounds are very nice, and the progression is interesting enough. The chords that you brought in around 0:17 were cool as well, and could definitely be expanded upon. You could gate them/distort them/bitcrush them as part of a buildup to increase tension and keep people interested :)

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Nov. 5th, 2010 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 11/5/10 01:20 PM, jarrydn wrote:
I've never really put my music out there like this, but I thought that this one could do with being torn to shreds. Do your worst :)

it's too late for me to use my monitors in the dorms but even without them i can tell that this track is in need of some serious pads. everything sounds clean enough on these tiny laptop speakers so definatly keep doing what your doing... just give us some atmosphere to listen to.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! Nov. 5th, 2010 @ 10:22 PM Reply

At 11/5/10 09:15 PM, Quarl wrote: it's too late for me to use my monitors in the dorms but even without them i can tell that this track is in need of some serious pads. everything sounds clean enough on these tiny laptop speakers so definatly keep doing what your doing... just give us some atmosphere to listen to.

Cheers man :). I've always gone for a pretty stripped back ethic with my tracks...I'm still not sure whether I want to go crazy with pads and stuff because I prefer my dance tunes pretty dry and crunchy, but I'll give it a go :)