00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,014 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-09-17 09:05:58

if you leave an honest review + score, i'll love you

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-09-17 17:01:23

I don't know what I could do to make this song less bland. Please help out, everything is appreciated.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-09-19 15:57:50

This is just a very rough draft, and I'll be adding some voice samples of the character to the song. I was wondering if there's anyway that I could make the song a little more eerie, yet keep the light feel it has.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-09-19 18:19:57

At 9/19/12 03:57 PM, DylnMatrix wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/503758
This is just a very rough draft, and I'll be adding some voice samples of the character to the song. I was wondering if there's anyway that I could make the song a little more eerie, yet keep the light feel it has.

My main issue is that the melody seems a bit too mechanical/electronic for the intended mood. In my opinion, the chord transitions are somewhat abrupt for the eerie feel you are going for: they might need to be smoother-ish.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-09-28 02:26:50

I'd consider this project finished, but I'm slightly worried it might get deleted. This was done for a class I took and the professor gave us a library of loops to use. I didn't just throw a bunch of loops together, but I think this song may contain some of pro-tool's loop library. The last thing I want to do is get banned from the audio portal on my first submission.

Should I take the project down?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-02 19:39:46

I'd appreciate some feedback on this one. The ending is kind of bad so far, but it's still a work in progress.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/505546?updated=1

uwu

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-03 12:41:31

At 10/2/12 07:39 PM, SomeGuyInSomePlace wrote: I'd appreciate some feedback on this one. The ending is kind of bad so far, but it's still a work in progress.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/505546?updated=1

I loved it, though right before the "drop" it gets a bit crackly in the speakers.

I decided to do a sampling of the song from the Dr. Suess cartoon about the Star Bellied Sneeches.

I can't think of how to extend it without making it sound repetitive, or if I even need to extend it at all. Help?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-06 22:02:59

Hey. I have a work in progress for a very important song going on an EP of mine :) I need some help thinking of a way to continue the beat, er, drop. Link is here.

http://soundcloud.com/omnipony/omnivore-adrenaline-wip

leg in one hand, brerb in the other

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-08 05:18:11

At 10/6/12 04:34 PM, Jurgen wrote: Hey guys, I would reall appreciate some help as I have no idea where to go with this track. I don't know if it should keep it's relaxed mood or pick up the pace or what...

Link

Hell I don't even know what genre to make it.

That was really good. I like the relaxing feel, though at the very end when it ends with what sounds like a type of rattle (maybe?) After a bar or two come back with a drum kick and use the melody, on the synth to give a hard hit. Another thing you can do if you can work the melody up an octave or half an octave at minimum, then it would throw a bit of variation in and still keep the mellow feel that pretty much makes up the song, it would be a shame to ruin it.

Oh and if you decide to do a come back instead of that rattlish fuzz fade out, it would be one of them 'you thought i was over' songs. Keep up the good work.

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.

Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.

K3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-11 21:02:09

Hey bros & hos
I just started messing around with fruity loops, let me know what you think, yo

I like the way this is turning out:

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-14 04:29:35

Sure others had this problem at least one time or the other: what's the most efficient way of dealing with different set of effects for the same instrument? For instance, an arpreggio during the start of a track would have some effects but during the end, it would need different effects altogether (like equalizing different frequencies than before). Right now the only way I can do this is making multiple clones in the sequencer but this just clutters everything up and makes it darn difficult to organize everything.

What's the best way to deal with this?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-15 12:02:44

At 10/14/12 04:29 AM, JJM121 wrote: What's the best way to deal with this?

What software are you using?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-15 12:12:15

At 10/15/12 12:02 PM, Nav wrote:
At 10/14/12 04:29 AM, JJM121 wrote: What's the best way to deal with this?
What software are you using?

FL Studio 10.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-15 12:22:13

At 10/15/12 12:12 PM, JJM121 wrote: FL Studio 10.

Cool, my specialty. Two possible solutions here:

1. (naive solution) Create both effects on the same insert bus and, when the time comes to switch, automate all the dry/wets over to dry for the effects you don't want, and do the opposite for the effects you do. This would result in completely switching which effects actually have an impact on the sound.

2. (More elegant) Put the effects chains on separate insert buses. Route your instrument only to those two, and not to the master fader. Set the routing to the first one to 100% and to the second one to 0%. When the time comes to switch effects, automate those knobs to switch positions, sending the first insert bus to 0% and the second to 100%. Should be very simple to do and relatively easy.

If that clutters up your mixer too much, use the send buses that are visible at all times. Most people just ignore them, but using them will take advantage of valuable screen real estate.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any further issues.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-28 11:49:10

Please let me know what you think, give me feedback, constructive criticism, etc.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-29 09:36:31

I really wonder how to get the kick drum more in front??
I boosted the kick at ~150Hz and cut out 150Hz on Bass and Subbass, still the kick sounds a bit too background, what else can I do except sidechaining?

Kick at ~ -6dB
Bass+Sub at ~ -12dB

Thanks for every hint!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-10-31 17:35:00

Can anyone please give me some feedback on these 2 songs? Please? :(

Zenovian waterfall

Crystal cave

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-01 22:48:01

Working on a new style of music -- Psychedelic, House, Trance stuff.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/509519 -- My style.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for this type of music?

Thank you in advance!

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-02 09:53:33

Any suggestions? I think it needs better drums. I might change the acoustic guitar instrument to something more electronic sounding. Please comment. good and bad welcome.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-02 11:28:39

At 10/28/12 11:49 AM, C4R7Music wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/view/616856
Please let me know what you think, give me feedback, constructive criticism, etc.

Where are you going with this? Will you continue a smooth sort of transition while keeping your form free?

Melody: --
Rhythm/style: --
Tempo: slow
Harmony: --
Meter: --
Texture: minimal polyphonic
Instrument color: erie
Synth Style: smooth sustain
Form: Free
instrument techniques: --
Size/type of group: 1
Mood or feeling: calm/erie
Drum techniques: --
Other influences: --

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-02 12:14:04

At 10/15/12 12:22 PM, Nav wrote: 1. (naive solution) Create both effects on the same insert bus and, etc.

2. (More elegant) Put the effects etc.

Why you just can't automate the ENABLED option in the mixer?
Maybe I understood wrong, but that would be the easiest opton, no?

SUCK MY KICK

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-02 14:27:07

www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/509608

Iv been working on this track for the past 3 days. I'm no expert on DnB, (hence why I came here <3) but I do love the genre. I was thinking of breaking down into an atmospheric part with just the sub bass then going half time then finishing the track, but to be honest I'm not sure. Any criticism would be much appreciated.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-02 14:40:30

Linky link.
feedback plox

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-04 23:50:16

I have this

And I like it, but I don't know what to do from here/how to do anything to it.

Could someone possibly help me with it? :3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-07 09:45:13

Linky

Can I please have some help with this? This is the first time I've ever made something out of FL, and I'm not even sure what genre this piece is ._. this is half of the entire thing, but I figured that I wanna make this part better before moving on. Can someone please tell me what I can do to make it better and how?

- Prey on the weak and you will survive;

- Prey on the strong and you will live.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-08 07:48:26

^ Update: Click here

- Prey on the weak and you will survive;

- Prey on the strong and you will live.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-11-13 21:48:09

Hey guys,

This is pretty much complete, but I was wondering if I could get some mixing/mastering advice and reviews?

Thanks,

No.Ma.D.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-01 12:22:34

Something new I'm working on. I kind of imagine it being used for a battle or fight of some sort -shrugs-

Anyways: Comments/feedback/whathaveyou on how it sounds so far would be appreciated. I'm not really sure what else I can do with it.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-02 18:58:26

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2012-12-05 21:31:54

At 11/4/12 11:50 PM, velvet-alchemy wrote: I have this
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/510011
And I like it, but I don't know what to do from here/how to do anything to it.

Could someone possibly help me with it? :3

I left you a review on your song. I hope it helps!

While I'm here, could you guys also come and leave me some critique on my track? It's my first time trying out trap, so I could use all the help I can get!