00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

lol im still not getting it.

2,340 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 04:28:23

ok..like

to copyright just 1 uf my songs is like 15 k$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

so like i dont get how newgrounds has a CC protection thingy for everything.im very slow but like this "IS" a reality issue.why is it so hard and expensive to copyright my songs,but like newgrounds have a copyright thing over every flash and audio track on this site.
how was this done and like whats the difference from the copyright rules on newgrounds involving all these flashes and songs. and my songs that are a pain to make and copyright?
im sorry for the bad spelling and grammer but can someone please let me know what is the answer to what i am trying to ask?i had brain surgery when i was young so im alittle "off".TY for reading my topic ^^please help.

i love pink

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 04:48:02

Intellectual Property.

Look that up.

Just lurking...

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 05:06:34

Listen Shadow, I have been blunt with you before, and I know you dont like it, but I'm going to do it again.

YOUR SHIT IS NOT THAT GOOD.

YOU DONT PUT ANY TIME INTO YOUR SUBMISSIONS.

No one is going to steal it and even if they did, you could make it again in less than a minute. Please, please please, just relax man.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 05:09:28

And by the way. That is Slayer and dont try to bullshit me. I've spent way more time with that program that its worth, so once again, find me on aim.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 05:29:16

At 11/15/07 05:06 AM, jrayteam6 wrote: Listen Shadow, relax man.

That is what you should do as well...Oh, before I forget, don't feed the trolls jrayteam6, they just don't learn! ;)

Just let it be man. Sooner or later, the ban-hammer will fall, if he hasn't already.

>:(

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 06:03:20

I've heard this a couple of times, once on a thread in the AF not too long ago.
Make a CD and mail your music to yourself and keep it sealed, the stamp from the post office is proof enough that if anyone were to steal it, the sealed package has proof of the date, and it'll hold up in court.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 09:12:15

At 11/15/07 05:06 AM, jrayteam6 wrote: Listen Shadow, I have been blunt with you before, and I know you dont like it, but I'm going to do it again.

YOUR SHIT IS NOT THAT GOOD.

No one is going to steal it and even if they did, you could make it again in less than a minute. Please, please please, just relax man.

I think thats a bit unfair man. Shadow's obviously proud of his music and worried about it being stolen. I have heard his music and agree that it is unlikely to be stolen, but stop putting him down man. Why not give him a little encouragement rather than just slating him.

And to the original message, you'll probably find that as all of the submissions on this site are dated it is easy to prove that your version was the original as anything stolen would obviously be used after this date. I wouldn't worry too much though, it's unlikely that someone would want to steal many of the newgrounds audio. There are much more professional sounding artists out there which make a bigger target.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 10:20:32

At 11/15/07 09:12 AM, Jimbobsthebest wrote:
At 11/15/07 05:06 AM, jrayteam6 wrote: YOUR SHIT IS NOT THAT GOOD.

I think thats a bit unfair man. Shadow's obviously proud of his music and worried about it being stolen. I have heard his music and agree that it is unlikely to be stolen, but stop putting him down man. Why not give him a little encouragement rather than just slating him.

Well... a few years back, I wrote, like, 30 songs with lyrics, and I thought, "Damn... these are good! They might get stolen or something." So I applied for copyrighting.

From the 30 I made, I only kept 4. The 26 were, well... bluntly put... newb crap. Of course, I didn't realize it immediately since it's a fresh creation, and we're all proud of our milestones, right?

Thinking of it, I can't come up with the 4 if I didn't come up with the 26 others. So I kept on writing and tweaking and throwing away crap and recycling good stuff from the crap... blah...

Moral lesson: Accept criticism. Deal with it. Make better ones. ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 11:26:47

At 11/15/07 06:03 AM, WritersBlock wrote: I've heard this a couple of times, once on a thread in the AF not too long ago.
Make a CD and mail your music to yourself and keep it sealed, the stamp from the post office is proof enough that if anyone were to steal it, the sealed package has proof of the date, and it'll hold up in court.

I agree with this WritersBlock, as I have heard this same option many times over. It is a cost effective solution to cover as jnry3 said "milestones" which we think are very important now. And it is true in the future you will appreciate AND laugh at the music and art your create now. Good luck!

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-15 22:00:21

At 11/15/07 04:28 AM, curruptedshadow wrote: ok..like

to copyright just 1 uf my songs is like 15 k$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Copyrights don't actualy cost anything. To get a copyright all you have to do is one of the fallowing:

1. Publish your music to an outlet recognised by the US copyright office such as creative commons

2. To protect unplblished work you can simple get a CD, thumbdrive, or sheet music legaly dated and thats sufficent evidence. This can be done just by mailing it to yourself and not opening the package when it arives like WritersBlock mentioned.

Some companies do chage money for copyrights, what there really doing is making sure your copyright doesn't infringe on anyone elses.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-16 04:24:47

Ok Shadow, I know you and the rest of NG are going to give me a hellstorm of bullshit for this, but once again in an effort to help you, I took your "strange beat" and threw a bunch of crap in it to give you some suggestions which is what you wanted. I thought about typing it out in your comments, but this was easier and more efficient. All I did was throw in a basic breakbeat which has a flanger and some delay on it, threw some simple tom patterns in and some basic slayer guitar chuggs. It was really simple and really easy to give it some variety. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 06364

I'll take it down as soon as you tell me youve heard it, because I know your going to throw a fit about how I downloaded one of your tracks without your permission. My point is that you should put some more effort into your stuff and you'll get higher scores. I already offered to help you learn slayer two times, and I'll extend an invitiation again.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-16 05:28:47

well listen to me!!!!

I DO NOT PUT MY REAL SONGS ON NEWGROUNDS!!!!

my serious studio projects stay between me and my band!
this is why im asking for some smart answer about why does it cost me 15,000 $ to copyright just 1 song and on newgrounds you can copyright everything according to the people who answeres my last post.
so im trying to use newgrounds as a way to promote myself but i want to know how in the world does Tom make this copyright thing work for every song uploaded onto newgrounds?
in real life it's very very hard to make gigs and copyright my art.
i have another account on newgrounds.my bands.
and we still do not know much about the laws that be going on in the internet.
so i be silly posting my instrumentals to see how many people view my song.
thats all.some korny jelious idiot here keeps saying my songs suck!
there not songs there sampled loops and instrumentals!music is very very easy to make so stop being a hater and get a life.
i also replaced some of my serious instrumentals with other ones that kinda suck so dont say my songs suck you wannabe looser.
as you can see i have "some" good reviews on my songs.but i changed them so you cant hear what they heard a while back.
just tell me this....
me and my band made 2 albums already,we want to promote ourselves using the web as well.
i only copyrighted the songs that i used for gigs because im poor as ****.
and this is my problem i want to know if i can "cheat" copyright my songs using newgrounds in like this way umm like people can view/download them but i would like to not have my songs stolen.thats whats scaring me.amagine if you worked your butt off on this song to 1 day hear someone els play the same song taking your credit.
well, forget it all of you newgrounds people will probably hate my songs and make me look bad.
im just going to use youtube and myspace after i copyright my songs or whatever and ditch newgrounds.
but ill still post my silly instrumentals for you guys^^
ive been practicing making flashes now also :P
hate my topics i dont care anymore at least i have a life in reality.unlike you wannabe cyber nolife bully's

i love pink

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-16 06:17:07

Yeah, your right. I'm just jealous of your awesome band. Just a jealous, korny wannabe loser. I was only being mean because I dont really know how to express myself and I get a little nervous around real audio artists with a band with 2 albums. You didnt tell me that REFX actually built the Slayer VST around your bands guitar setup. Thats so awesome. Hey currupted shadow how come you rule so much?

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-16 07:01:14

Sorry man, but I don't believe you.

When I applied for copyrighting (I applied mine at the Philippine National Library; hence, steal my songs, I get royalties and US$25000 from the offender), it only cost me the recording (US$100), the CDs (dirt cheap), and the paperwork, which only cost me US$6.

~US$106 is far from the figures you just gave.

Look... NG is like the real world (or IS a real world in itself); show them crap, they'll ignore you. Make something good, they will admire you.

If what you post here is your second-rate work, don't expect high ratings. Garbage in, garbage out. We're not idiots that praise poor work, especially me.

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-16 07:04:53

Can we let it die already?

As told before...

Don't feed the trolls! >:(

srsly!

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-17 00:06:03

hey like forget about my songs.
i just want for someone to tell me... okey....if i was tom and i made this site...i put these features that let other artists upload there flashes and audio onto my site....how did Tom make this CC thing work with every song uploaded?
umm just delete this topic im going to be lost forever.
why are you calling me troll?what is wrong with you?
im asking a serious question and ill im getting is peoples criticisms about my songs and no answer for umm...
JUST FORGET IT DELETE THIS RETARTED TOPIC!
????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????
??
I KEEP GETTING ANSWERS ABOUT SOME MAIL POST CRAP BUT IF SOMEONE COPYRIGHTS MY WORK BEFORE ME,IT WASNT COPYRIGHTED SO I GUESS IT'S LEGAL FOR AN ARTIST TO DEFEND MY STOLEN SONG.WELL REALITY'S FUNNER TO DO STUFF SO ANYWAYS BYE BYE TOPIC.
AGAIN I WILL SAY IT ALSO MY INSTRUMENTALS AND REAL SONGS ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS!
DONT MIX MY NEWGROUNDS STUFF WITH SLAYER AND MY REAL MUSIC.

i love pink

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-17 00:22:24

*facepalm*

What a pathetic sight. See that little key named Caps Lock on the left part of the keyboard? Press it to magically avoid looking like an idiot everytime you talk. People offer you help and you act like a spoiled brat? Pfft, none of us believe your bullshit about having 2 superb albums with your band. People like you make NG a funny place to hang out. And please, show some respect for the rest of the members, including the ones who are far more talented than you'll ever be.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-17 04:22:49

One down, 65,000 other noobs to go.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-17 10:12:44

i don't know hw is in other countrys but from where i am to copyright your work don't really cost.
you have to make some paperwork for "Composer's Union" and write the theme with chords... you don't even have to write down all the ochestration or to present a recording ...

so, that is simple.
i have absolutley no ideea why this should cost anyway ...
and despite of personal opinions about someone's music, please people don't be TOTALY off topic

peace

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-17 11:13:08

Dude, if your albums were that good...15k would be nothing to you.
And..if you're that concerned...just fucking snail mail yourself your albums. Don't open them. They are time stamped by a governmental facility.

Also, the time stamp on NG can work in your favor too. Although, now that you can change files I'm not sure if that date changes or not..and that can fuck with the validity of the date thing here.

Bullshitter

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 09:10:04

At 11/15/07 04:28 AM, curruptedshadow wrote: ok..like

so like i dont get how newgrounds has a CC protection thingy for everything.im very slow but like this "IS" a reality issue.why is it so hard and expensive to copyright my songs,but like newgrounds have a copyright thing over every flash and audio track on this site.
how was this done and like whats the difference from the copyright rules on newgrounds involving all these flashes and songs. and my songs that are a pain to make and copyright?
im sorry for the bad spelling and grammer but can someone please let me know what is the answer to what i am trying to ask?i had brain surgery when i was young so im alittle "off".TY for reading my topic ^^please help.

Why are you getting so over-reactive over your songs?

I honestly wouldn't care if someone stole my songs, as long as they credit me, then I'd happy that someone has actually bothered to sample my amateur piece of techno music. =D

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 10:53:05

You guys are completely ignoring his question.

He said, how does Tom make it so each AP submission is copywrighted.

I don't know how to answer it myself, it just seems you people are blabbering on about how he sucks and doesn't need copywrights anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 11:30:04

At 11/18/07 10:53 AM, PandaKore wrote: You guys are completely ignoring his question.

I don't know how to answer it myself, it just seems you people are blabbering on about how he sucks and doesn't need copywrights anyways.

Oh right.

It's because of the way he posted that, I thought he was over-reacting.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 11:32:26

At 11/18/07 10:53 AM, PandaKore wrote: You guys are completely ignoring his question.

I don't know how to answer it myself, it just seems you people are blabbering on about how he sucks and doesn't need copywrights anyways

Music on here is protected under a creative commons licence, which isn't the same as copyright. The licence on here allows other people to use and edit our music with accreditation and that that work has to be released under the same CC licence.

Copyright is 'Real World' protection, legally binding proving that something is the owners own work and protected from copying, modifying and stealing unless the author gives his consent for the work to be used otherwise, royalties are paid via this 'leasing' of the work.

Music copyright and music law are frustratingly hard to understand and implement, the age old trick of posting a work to yourself is a form of copyright but would be useless against a major label who would have countless music law lawyers to get round it.

Tom and NG do not hold copyright protection for any works on here other than their own, artist's themselves would have to seek copyright from music lawyers etc to make absolute protection of the work. ANNND, if you did have your work copyrighted, why the hell would you distribute it on a site where the medium is free and easily accessible and protected under a very flimsy internet license?

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 18:28:49

but how he does it is called publishing. published under the creative commons license. any form of media can be called publishing. and regardless of actual law, this is the internet. people will download and/or alter anything they want to usually. NG has rules about this, however, to protect them from violating copyright law.

it is up to you to enforce your creative commons license. if someone makes money without permission, or does not credit you- you can initiate action (here on NG it would be PMing an audio mod to get the work removed)

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 20:00:32

Uhm... not quite. I pointed out that processing the paperworks for copyrighting should take more or less ten dollars (in the Philippines, it only cost me an equivalent of six dollars). His figures were way bloated.

And yes, creative commons is not copyrighting per se.

BBS Signature

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-18 22:29:52

Give him a break, he's 80 years old!

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-19 07:16:18

At 11/17/07 11:13 AM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: Dude, if your albums were that good...15k would be nothing to you.
And..if you're that concerned...just fucking snail mail yourself your albums. Don't open them. They are time stamped by a governmental facility.

Also, the time stamp on NG can work in your favor too. Although, now that you can change files I'm not sure if that date changes or not..and that can fuck with the validity of the date thing here.
Bullshitter

sorry to disturb in this matter? but? wouldnt it just be easier to put everything on acid planet? lol

time stamped and everything.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-19 07:25:01

It's great how when someone mentions the word copyright it fuels a massive arguement. :D

Over here in the UK, if we make an original work/art it's copyrighted. Simple as really. But other measures don't go a miss.

Response to lol im still not getting it. 2007-11-19 09:10:22

At 11/19/07 07:25 AM, Gorglore wrote: It's great how when someone mentions the word copyright it fuels a massive arguement. :D

Over here in the UK, if we make an original work/art it's copyrighted. Simple as really. But other measures don't go a miss.

Is there a procedure there in the UK? What if someone steals another one's work and claims it as his/her own? Just curious...

BBS Signature