- We decided to venture further into the popular genres of Drum n Bass and Ambient, to see what you people can come up with! Both genres are well known and are reasonably characteristic. Usually, the MAC themes are related to NG's flash-world one way or another. The MAC's started out with an Open Theme last year so we figured we'd carry this on and take a break from the "flash-related" contests with this months competitioion. We're slimming it down a little by limiting this MAC to two genres to make it easier for the judges and, in the end, get a more fair outcome. There is definitley room for other genre-themed contests in the future, but first things first...
DnB stands for "Drum n Bass", and is a fast-paced genre, commonly with a breakbeat at its foundation. Most often a powerful bass and high-energy drums are the most important parts of DnB, but the genre has come a long way since it's birth after the jungle-era. Basicly, DnB usually rocks out a high BPM and some songs between 160-200+ bpm (Beats per Minute) can be found.
If you're completley new to the genre, I suggest you start out by checking the DnB Audio Submissions that can be found right here on NG;
If you still is uncertain of what DnB really is about, you could always tune in to Bassdrive, DnBRadio.com or another DnB radiostation, while reading up on the genre on Wikipedia. Another good genre-guide is Ishkurs guide to electronic music.
Also, there's a DnB Club right here on NG, for appreciation of the genre and it's artists.
- Ambient mean "surrounding", and is a good description of what the genre sounds like. Ususally Ambient songs are slow and moody pieces, sometimes without a beat and generally very calm and mellow. A lot of ambient music is computer/synth generated but some tracks are still made with conventional instruments.
Again, if you're new to the genre or aren't certain what Ambient should be, NG also has an impressive collection of Ambient Audio Submissions
- The contest theme is quite open as long as your song(s) are easily recognized as fitting into the genre-choices of the month.
- You will recieve a harder judgement if your contest submission(s) clearly is outside the given genre(s), but then again, they're both quite wide, so stay creative!
- Many flash-artists have shown to have a lot of usage for these two genres, and since the MAC has grown fairly big on NG, it's good extra exposure for your audio.
This time, we have two genres, EACH GENRE WILL HAVE #1 - 5! So the awards is given for each genre;
#1. $150, a T-shirt and stickers
#2. $75, a T-shirt and stickers
#3 - 5 a T-shirt and stickers
- Front Page Spots for the top two songs of each genre.
- We'll continue the tradition with the custom-made BBS signature picture, crafted by Metalcan.
- The winners will be announced by the bastardized and constantly drunk radiogrounds.com DJ PsychoGoldfish as usual!
1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what's OK to upload and what's not, check this thread. Basically, you must not submit material that include samples you have no copyright/permission to use.
2 - Make a song according to these rules! Your song(s) can be as long or short as you wish, remember that NG now has an 8 meg. limit for each song!
3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.
4 - Go to this thread and post a link to your songpage. You risk not getting noticed and added to the list of submissions if you do not post links to your songs. Also include the audio title.
5 - For this contest, you are allowed to submit up to two songs in each genre. It's appreciated if they are submitted to the contest within the same post (makes it easier to make the list), but not a must.
6 - Do not break any of the rules stated in this thread. If you intend on submitting with different profiles, notify LJCoffee or Rucklo about this. If we find out that you break the rules, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for some time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread too, of course. If there are posts that are irrelevant for the contest/spam, a moderator will clean it up. This mean your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned from the NG BBS. All according to the BBS rules and the forum specific Audio Forum rules.
7 - You should have your submission signed up for the contest in this thread by . If you cannot post for one reason or another, PM or e-mail LJCoffee or Rucklo, enter a valid reason why you can't do it yourself, and we'll see to it that your contest entry is in. To make it even clearer; - No submissions will be accepted after November 24th. This is so that we can allow a week to judge all submissions and get the results broadcast by the end of the month.
8 - It is now possible to update songs that have been submitted to the contest, and you are allowed to do so, however as of Nov. 24th no more updates are allowed. The songs will be downloaded by this time, and distributed amongst the judges (or if they choose to download the songs themselves) to avoid the risk of somone updating the song post deadline.
9 - Five - eight songs/genre will make it to the final and actually receive judgment and get scored. The fewer the songs the judges have to judge, the more fair the end result is going to be. Basicly, we will have to wait and see how many contest entries, it is possible that the final round will have a different number of contestants in the genres.
10 - LOL