Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-11 11:00:04 Reply

At 3/10/14 11:33 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:
@Snuff

I do check the thread I just never got around to being able to write up a small thing about Maxwell's album.

I gave it a listen and for that style of music I found that I quite enjoyed it. It's not something I would usually listen to but the opener was definitely something that caught my attention.

I think I'd have to be in a particular mood to fully enjoy it, or perhaps in a particular environment with particular people.

However I can definitely appreciate the production and talent involved in the album, the instruments all sounded fantastic and I was a big fan of his voice.

I may give him another listen and get into it a bit more, but for me I'd probably give it a 6/10 if we're doing ratings.

I'm lining up the next pick on my phone now, I look forward to something a little more rock-y.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-11 19:07:23 Reply

Well I gave Dr Worm's recommendation a listen and I have mixed feelings on it.

As a whole I enjoyed it, and I thought it was well written with some great instrumentation, especially from the guitars. Though it took me a couple of songs to adjust to the vocals.

Drums are a huge part of music for me, but I wasn't particularly fond of what I heard on this album. They seemed to go in and out of different styles. In Walking On A Wire I felt like they were constantly building up to something much bigger but they then went back down to the usual quieter style it generally sticks to throughout the album, which felt somewhat anticlimatic.

I imagine that makes little to no sense to anybody else but I know what I mean.

As for the writing side of things, it was obviously very apparent what the album was about as Dr Worm said, but I found it hard to sense much emotion in the writing. It may just be my perception of it because an album about a divorce between the two people who got divorced is going to be filled with nothing but emotion, though I just felt there was something lacking there.

It wasn't a bad album by any means, I enjoyed listening to it and probably will do again, however it's definitely not up there with my favourites.

A good choice no less.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-14 21:44:49 Reply

At 3/11/14 07:07 PM, Snuff wrote: As for the writing side of things, it was obviously very apparent what the album was about as Dr Worm said, but I found it hard to sense much emotion in the writing.

i think a lot of this is to blame on joe boyd and his shitty audio engineers

the emotion is there, but you just can't hear it

i understand why steve albini hates him so much after listening to dr worm's rec'd album

it's not chipping norton's fault either since xtc recorded nonsuch there with dudgeon and it's incredible

just the motion is the only real standout track in my opinion

anyways, did anyone notice that clicking on the listening now button leads you to a page that looks like this?

Last.Fm Club

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-15 02:20:30 Reply

Listened to Shoot Out the Lights. I agree with Sekhem on the production here being poor, the songs on this album have a very nice rhythm section and the whole thing is performed well, but the production really keeps it from having any sort of impact. The lyrics seem very sincere and "real", and the vocal performances are very clean and on point. I definitely think that's the main high point of the record, the songwriting across the board is very well done, but the production really holds it back. I can definitely see why this record gets the praise that it does, but I wasn't really blown away by it to be honest. Nonetheless, I'm glad I was able to actually listen to this album and develop my own thoughts on it instead of "oh yeah i know of that album a lot of people really like it". Thanks for the pick, Dr-Worm.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-15 03:16:35 Reply

At 3/11/14 07:07 PM, Snuff wrote: As a whole I enjoyed it, and I thought it was well written with some great instrumentation, especially from the guitars.

Yeah, Richard Thompson might be my all-time favorite rock guitarist. His style is really different from that of a lot of his more well-known contemporaries, I think it's because unlike most of those guys he's more influenced by folk than blues.

His live stuff is fucking insane. Aaand upon typing that I realized how cool it would be to see him live and looked up tour dates on a whim, only to find out that he apparently played a show earlier tonight like fifteen goddamn minutes from my house, and he isn't going to be in my area again for the foreseeable future.

Fuck.

I imagine that makes little to no sense to anybody else but I know what I mean.

I think I get what you mean, I've just never really noticed or cared about it much because the drums are so deemphasized and mostly functional throughout. But I think for this particular album that low-key style is exactly the right choice; weary resignation towards the slow collapse of a relationship probably should sound a bit anticlimactic. If you go into it specifically listening for the drums I can see how it might be an issue, though.

As for the writing side of things, it was obviously very apparent what the album was about as Dr Worm said, but I found it hard to sense much emotion in the writing.

Well like I said most of the songs were written a few years prior and at least nominally aren't about their failing marriage at all. I think the tensions come out mostly through the music (though of course a lot of the lyrics also just happen to be about broken relationships and whatnot). It might help to compare this album with some of their earlier stuff like "Dimming of the Day" (imho one of the best love songs ever) or "A Heart Needs a Home".

Which isn't to say that the album should even automatically be read as being about their specific relationship, because it totally shouldn't. But in a more general sense I think the album's emotional and thematic content is definitely chiefly concerned with bitter separations and messy endings.

At 3/14/14 09:44 PM, Sekhem wrote: the emotion is there, but you just can't hear it

Eh, I still think Richard and Linda's musical talents and songwriting skills more than make up for the less than ideal production circumstances (I don't know much about music production, but in addition to the alleged shitty audio engineers the whole recording process itself was pretty rushed, plus of course there was Richard and Linda's increasingly strained relationship and Linda's pregnancy).

Not to mention that the arrangements are pretty spare to begin with.

i understand why steve albini hates him so much after listening to dr worm's rec'd album

Yeah, but Steve Albini hates everything so much.

Also, whatever Joe Boyd's flaws might be, dude produced Just Another Diamond Day. I mean, again, my ear's pretty untrained when it comes to this sort of thing, but from what I can tell the production on that album is pretty much perfect. And he's produced some other great stuff as well like Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief and Nick Drake's first two albums.

just the motion is the only real standout track in my opinion

I think tracks 2-5 are all pure gold, but then again I'm already a devotee.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-15 06:51:50 Reply

I think it's fair to say this scheme has been a success. It's nice to see so much discussion.

If only we could do this kind of thing on the gamerscore leaderboard

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-15 10:36:41 Reply

I fixed my broken plug in which hasn't worked since this time last year.

http://www.last.fm/user/kickme123

I listen to Stiff Little Fingers and little else.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-15 12:24:48 Reply

I agree with sekhem in that 'Walking on a Wire' is definitely the highlight of the album. In fact I thought any of the songs with Linda were better than ones without. I couldn't really escape the comparison to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and I think it lessened my overall view of the album but it was still a solid listen

7.45556 Pitchforks out of 10.987

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 03:34:49 Reply

At 3/15/14 06:51 AM, Snuff wrote: I think it's fair to say this scheme has been a success. It's nice to see so much discussion.

If only we could do this kind of thing on the gamerscore leaderboard

yeah, i like this

@ me next though

who's picking next week?

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 05:22:23 Reply

At 3/16/14 03:34 AM, Sekhem wrote:
who's picking next week?

I guess we'll find out when Ooplah randomizes it

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 14:43:44 Reply

Turns out @Snuff is the man of the week! Different genre, different decade, have fun, blah blah blah.

@Dr-Worm
@Gobblemeister
@Innermike
@JaY11
@Makeshift
@Ryanson
@Sekhem
@Snuff

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 15:33:13 Reply

At 3/15/14 02:20 AM, Oolaph wrote: Listened to Shoot Out the Lights. I agree with Sekhem on the production here being poor, the songs on this album have a very nice rhythm section and the whole thing is performed well, but the production really keeps it from having any sort of impact.

Yeah, listening to the album after reading all your posts it is becoming increasingly apparent to me that the production is not quite right. That just doesn't really diminish the album's impact for me. Linda's voice on "Walking On a Wire" and Richard's blistering guitar on the title track cut straight through any production nonsense.

Maybe as a fan of lo-fi and punk and old garage rock and even older folk and blues I'm kind of used to listening to music that sounds like it was recorded underwater, and I'm much less sensitive to production issues.

Turns out @Snuff is the man of the week! Different genre, different decade, have fun, blah blah blah.

Btw, to drum up interest in AotW it might be a good idea to @ mention some people who aren't regulars in this thread but are definitely into music and might be interested in getting involved (I mean, I basically found it by accident). The regulars over on the "Post music, rate the one above" thread in General might be a good place to start.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 16:01:48 Reply

At 3/16/14 03:33 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: Btw, to drum up interest in AotW it might be a good idea to @ mention some people who aren't regulars in this thread but are definitely into music and might be interested in getting involved (I mean, I basically found it by accident). The regulars over on the "Post music, rate the one above" thread in General might be a good place to start.

I was thinking about that, but I thought it might be a bit rude to pester people with reply notifications if they aren't interested. I guess I'll give it a shot next time and see how it goes.

BBS Signature
Captain-Slugworth
Captain-Slugworth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-16 18:53:15 Reply

Hi, hi hi there!
just got into last.fm a couple of days back, bloody excellent site!

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-17 11:48:06 Reply

At 3/16/14 02:43 PM, Oolaph wrote: Turns out @Snuff is the man of the week! Different genre, different decade, have fun, blah blah blah.

In that case I reckon I'm going to have to go with Human Hearts by Maritime.

I've only been listening to them since the start of the year but they're already in my top 20 with 1,200 plays so hopefully they have the same effect on some of you guys here.

It's sort of alt/indie rock whatever you want to call it I really don't know but it's one of the best and most addictive albums I've listened to in a very long time from a very under-appreciated band that I think everybody should give a chance.

It's only 34 minutes or so, so not much of a commitment to make.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Last.Fm Club

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-18 02:32:53 Reply

At 3/17/14 11:48 AM, Snuff wrote: I hope you all enjoy it.

I certainly did. I've never listened to Maritime before, but it had the bassist of one of my favorite indie rock bands - The Dismemberment Plan. I'm a little disappointed to find out he left before this album, but I'll go listen to Maritime's first two albums later. It's not as good, in terms of lyrics/songwriting, as the Dismemberment Plan, but it's somewhat similar and really amps up the mood with shoegaze-y passages and just atmospheric arrangements. It's really good background music.

Standout track: Faint of Hearts

I don't really think there are any weak tracks and it's pretty cohesive overall. Also, because I'm a nerd and I've set a pattern in my last AOTW discussion post, this album was mixed by Billy Bush of Garbage fame. I've always thought Garbage had excellent sounding albums and this album is no different. If you're interested in how he does it, I recommend reading this interview with him.

Great pick.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-18 05:58:34 Reply

At 3/18/14 02:32 AM, Sekhem wrote:
I certainly did. I've never listened to Maritime before, but it had the bassist of one of my favorite indie rock bands - The Dismemberment Plan. I'm a little disappointed to find out he left before this album, but I'll go listen to Maritime's first two albums later. It's not as good, in terms of lyrics/songwriting, as the Dismemberment Plan, but it's somewhat similar and really amps up the mood with shoegaze-y passages and just atmospheric arrangements. It's really good background music.

I've yet to listen to The Dismemberment Plan though I do plan to. Thoughy I've listened to Cap'n Jazz and The Promise Ring who I like a lot too. It's a nice history all leading up to now with Maritime.

Davey's song writing is fantastic too.

Standout track: Faint of Hearts

Definitely. That and Annihilation Eyes are my two favourites on the album and probably overall. It's a fantastically written and performed song.

I definitely recommend going back to the older albums, We, The Vehicles especially, they have a great discography.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-20 21:53:17 Reply

Just finished listening to this one so here is my knee-jerk reaction. I haven't listened to this band before, but I'm a big fan of Cap'n Jazz and The Promise Ring so it was cool to find out the connection between them.

Anyways, really enjoyable album! It's all well produced and has some nice songwriting. The different instrumentation was nice as well, the occasional synth/keys really added to the overall sound. Most of the songs were really upbeat and left me in a good mood, especially the instrumental outro on the last track. The whole album is very reminiscent of recent Appleseed Cast albums.

Favorite songs were Out Numbering and Apple of My Irony.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-21 13:13:44 Reply

At 3/20/14 09:53 PM, SineRider wrote:
Just finished listening to this one so here is my knee-jerk reaction. I haven't listened to this band before, but I'm a big fan of Cap'n Jazz and The Promise Ring so it was cool to find out the connection between them.

Anyways, really enjoyable album! It's all well produced and has some nice songwriting. The different instrumentation was nice as well, the occasional synth/keys really added to the overall sound. Most of the songs were really upbeat and left me in a good mood, especially the instrumental outro on the last track. The whole album is very reminiscent of recent Appleseed Cast albums.

Favorite songs were Out Numbering and Apple of My Irony.

I'm glad to hear a few of you are enjoying the album. It's definitely the fasted an album has grown on me in a long time.

I agree with the outro too, Apple of my Irony is a fantastic song to have at the end of the album, especially with the instrumental ending too.

I'm a massive fan of Davey's song writing and I would definitely recommend anybody who enjoys Human Hearts go back to look at the older stuff like We, The Vehicles.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-21 18:17:50 Reply

This was a really nice listen, though that was expected since I enjoy pretty much anything Bohlen touches. They did a good job of using constantly varying instrumentation without things losing focus or direction, which I really appreciate.

At 3/18/14 02:32 AM, Sekhem wrote: Standout track: Faint of Hearts

I definitely agree with you here, the way the song would build up really set it apart from the rest of the album which for the most part was pretty consistent in dynamics before that.

Even though I enjoyed the album, most of it didn't really stick with me very much, but it might grow on me with more listens. I'll probably give the rest of their discography a try next week. Thanks for the pick, Snuff. I'm not really sure why I didn't listen to this group earlier.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-22 06:54:52 Reply

At 3/21/14 06:17 PM, Oolaph wrote:
I definitely agree with you here, the way the song would build up really set it apart from the rest of the album which for the most part was pretty consistent in dynamics before that.

It's definitely one of their all time best songs in my opinion, and as you say it definitely stands out from the rest.

Even though I enjoyed the album, most of it didn't really stick with me very much, but it might grow on me with more listens. I'll probably give the rest of their discography a try next week. Thanks for the pick, Snuff. I'm not really sure why I didn't listen to this group earlier.

I found that at first. I was first recommended them in December but the album didn't really stick, though I gave it a few more goes in January and now I'd definitely class them as one of my favourite bands.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-23 01:20:29 Reply

The album kind of reminded me of acts like Wild Nothing or other shoegazy type stuff with the guitars but the vocals were a lot more engaging than shoegaze or dreampop vocals usually are. It was a bit same-y for some stretches it feels a little long listening from beginning to end but overall it's a better version of some of the more mainstream alt rock acts.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-23 02:31:32 Reply

Gave the Maritime album a few listens throughout the week. I thought it was pretty good, straightforward indie rock, so pleasant and unassuming that it occasionally threatens to be boring but mostly avoids that trap. The back half is definitely better and more interesting than the earlier songs, and I agree with the rest of you that "Faint of Hearts" is the big standout of the album. "Apple of My Irony" is a good song but god is that title atrocious.

And I didn't realize the band had a such a strong pedigree until I looked them up after listening. Members of Cap'n Jazz (which I love, though they don't seem to be much of an influence here), The Promise Ring and The Dismemberment Plan. Whoa.

Also I spent a while trying to figure out where I'd heard this music before, until I realized "It's Casual" was used as the theme song of sorts for A.V. Undercover for a couple years. So that's cool I guess.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-23 05:46:07 Reply

At 3/23/14 02:31 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Gave the Maritime album a few listens throughout the week. I thought it was pretty good, straightforward indie rock, so pleasant and unassuming that it occasionally threatens to be boring but mostly avoids that trap. The back half is definitely better and more interesting than the earlier songs, and I agree with the rest of you that "Faint of Hearts" is the big standout of the album. "Apple of My Irony" is a good song but god is that title atrocious.

Strangely enough I think it's a fantastic album title and a brilliant song on top of it. Considering it's all about grow older and never having enough time I'd say it's quite fitting too. But obviously it's down to opinion.

Also I spent a while trying to figure out where I'd heard this music before, until I realized "It's Casual" was used as the theme song of sorts for A.V. Undercover for a couple years. So that's cool I guess.

I've just watched through a couple, looks like they had Someone Has To Die as the opening music for some of the older ones as well which is pretty cool. This seems like a cool concept, I'll probably watch through a lot of them.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-24 14:35:41 Reply

The randomiser has selected @Sekhem to choose this week's album! In order to keep things fresh, the record you pick should be from a different genre and decade than last week's, but I'm sure you know that already.

and now a bunch of @ mentions including some people that don't regularly come to this thread but should definitely participate because they're cool dudes

@Dr-Worm
@Dromedary
@Gobblemeister
@Innermike
@Jay
@JaY11
@Jester
@Makeshift
@Natick
@Otto
@Ryanson
@Sekhem
@Sense-Offender
@Sinerider
@Slint
@Snuff
@TehSlapHappy
@Viper

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-24 17:34:00 Reply

At 3/24/14 02:35 PM, Oolaph wrote: The randomiser has selected @Sekhem to choose this week's album!

This week's album: DIMENSION INTRUSION by FUSE (sometimes F.U.S.E. - Further Underground Sound Experiments) (aka RICHIE HAWTIN aka PLASTIKMAN)

It was part of the highly acclaimed Artificial Intelligence series by Warp Records. Everything on the album was done by Hawtin himself. It's unlike Hawtin's later, and far more famous, minimal techno works and I've never really heard another album like it.

This might be a divisive album. The 303 is not for everyone. He's also a very entertaining speaker if you want to check out his Red Bull Music Academy lecture.

Last.Fm Club

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-25 14:03:58 Reply

At 3/24/14 05:34 PM, Sekhem wrote:
This week's album: DIMENSION INTRUSION by FUSE

This kind of music is quite literally the polar opposite of what you might call 'my kind of music', so I found it pretty difficult to find parts that I enjoyed or that even interested me.

That's not to say it's a bad album by any means, it's just unfortunately something that doesn't really appeal to me at all. At 76 minutes it was pretty tough to get through as well, but there's not really too much point in me writing a review of something I can't really appreciate.

I imagine everyone else here will enjoy this much more than I did.

so essentially don't listen to me
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-26 19:35:48 Reply

I don't have a Last.fm, but I will check if I can listen to this Fuse album anywhere since Oolaph got me here.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-27 00:37:07 Reply

At 3/26/14 07:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't have a Last.fm, but I will check if I can listen to this Fuse album anywhere since Oolaph got me here.

You don't have to have a Last.fm account to participate in the album of the week thing, we just do it in here because this club was pretty much dead and it seemed better than starting a whole new one.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-03-29 01:29:33 Reply

Just listened to Dimension Intrusion, and I enjoyed it for the most part. Hawtin did a wonderful job of creating an atmospheric and engaging soundscape on every track of this record. The straight forward, constantly bumping rhythm of the tracks gives the whole album a very fluid and consistent vibe. I did feel like the album was lacking in melody, though. I can't think of a single progression or pattern that stuck with me or interested me at all, but in a way I guess that only adds to the 'spaced out' vibe the album has.

So in short, while I do appreciate what was done on this album I doubt I'll be coming back to it any time soon. Thanks for the pick, it gave me an opportunity to get a taste of '90s techno which is something I haven't given nearly enough of a chance.

BBS Signature