New Topic Respond to this Topic
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-21 05:04:00 Reply

At 4/21/14 02:58 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: So if you guys really want to get the most out of this album, then listen to it outside. Really, it makes a difference.

It just so happens that it's bank holiday and the weather is fantastic but I think I'll settle for opening my blinds.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-21 17:04:40 Reply

At 4/21/14 12:46 AM, Oolaph wrote: Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970)

Keep getting too lazy to listen/review these albums, but man this one caught my ear pretty hard. I've heard the name before, but I was not familiar with Vashti Bunyan's work before.

This album is perfect for a lazy spring day like today was for me. I really like the tone of her voice and the way she sings; it's subdued and unornamented. It kind of fits in a similar way with Nick Drake's albums. The orchestrations are nicely arranged, and very tasteful. The songs "Glow Worms" and "Swallow Song" are definitely my knee jerk favorites.

I'm not sure if I'd say it's a perfect album (really though, what is?) but, if I could find one fault is that songs become very samey by the latter half of the album. To be fair, that's what folk music is, and it's not really a problem if you're just trying to relax and chill out.

Thanks for sharing this one Oolaph, I'm digging it hard

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-21 19:32:01 Reply

I know I'm going to be 'that guy' but I have to say the album wasn't particularly appealing to me. I will admit the opening to the first track made me (quite literally) say "oh I'm gonna dig this", but alas it was not meant to be.

The songs seem to blend into one another, and not in the good way, and I couldn't find anything to pick up on and enjoy such as particular instruments which made it more of a drag to really listen through. Though I did listen all the way through despite the 18 tracks.

As always though it wasn't all bad, in the right circumstances I would happily listen to it, though only as background music I imagine. I can absolutely understand why people would enjoy this album, it's incredibly uplifting and very laid back. I imagine I wouldn't refrain from calling it the perfect album for a certain scenario (like sitting outside on a spring morning), but it's definitely not something I would listen to on the way to work in the morning.

Either way a nice choice to mix it up a little with the AOTWs. I'm glad to see everybody else is enjoying it much more than me.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-22 00:14:21 Reply

At 4/21/14 07:32 PM, Snuff wrote: The songs seem to blend into one another, and not in the good way, and I couldn't find anything to pick up on and enjoy such as particular instruments which made it more of a drag to really listen through. Though I did listen all the way through despite the 18 tracks.

I'm glad to hear that you gave it a full listen, that means a lot. I think turning something off without finishing it is a terrible thing to do, because there could always be something you might enjoy past the point you quit at. I noticed you also listened to Dimension Intrusion in full when Sekhem picked it, so I'm really happy to see that you're not afraid to give things a full chance.

At 4/21/14 05:04 PM, SineRider wrote: I'm not sure if I'd say it's a perfect album (really though, what is?) but, if I could find one fault is that songs become very samey by the latter half of the album. To be fair, that's what folk music is, and it's not really a problem if you're just trying to relax and chill out.

I won't lie and say that the songs aren't very similar sounding, but like you said there isn't really anything wrong with that. There are definitely many subtle aspects that sets each song apart from the others, which is fitting because this is without a doubt a very 'subtle' album. I can really only say that those unique bits become clearer with more listens, which I guess can be said for any record so whatever. I've listened to this album a countless number of times, so each track really is its own separate experience for me and I love every single one of them.

Either way a nice choice to mix it up a little with the AOTWs. I'm glad to see everybody else is enjoying it much more than me.

I already knew Dr-Worm and Spooky were very familiar with the album, so I was a bit hesitant because I want to give something new for everyone, but sharing this record with you guys was just too important to me. I'm glad that you gave it a proper try, and if you have any interest in trying to get into her, you could maybe try her '05 album which has more interesting production and might be a bit more appealing to some, or maybe her more upbeat singles from the '60s.

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-22 04:28:05 Reply

At 4/22/14 12:14 AM, Oolaph wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you gave it a full listen, that means a lot. I think turning something off without finishing it is a terrible thing to do, because there could always be something you might enjoy past the point you quit at. I noticed you also listened to Dimension Intrusion in full when Sekhem picked it, so I'm really happy to see that you're not afraid to give things a full chance.

I go seriously out of my way to finish albums or just songs. I absolutely hate it when people just listen to the beginning of a song. It literally makes me sad when I reach work without having finished the album. Occasionally I'll just go into the bathroom and finish listening to it there.

I actually do seem to recall not finishing Dimension Intrusion because it was just so damn long and my bus journey didn't account for that. Not only that but it was one of the others that I really found almost no enjoyment from unfortunately. But still, it's a chance to possibly branch out my music taste so I'm all for it.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-22 04:31:54 Reply

Oh I also breached 100,000 listens yesterday. Only took 3 years.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-22 13:44:45 Reply

At 4/22/14 04:28 AM, Snuff wrote: I actually do seem to recall not finishing Dimension Intrusion because it was just so damn long and my bus journey didn't account for that.

Oops, guess I remembered incorrectly. Oh well, my point still stands.

BBS Signature
beheadedbymuslims
beheadedbymuslims
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-23 12:06:49 Reply

i'll try and get this album after i get back from work tonight. i know everyone's all "listen to it when the birds are chirping and the grass is green and spring is humping winter away" and all that shit but some of us only have time in the dead of night, so take this atmosphere into account when i give any feedback.

At 4/22/14 12:14 AM, Oolaph wrote: I noticed you also listened to Dimension Intrusion in full when Sekhem picked it,

i definitely gotta hear this now

gaydemocrat: i just found a seed in my dope
gaydemocrat: this is a fucking outrage

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-23 12:30:20 Reply

At 4/23/14 12:06 PM, beheadedbymuslims wrote: i'll try and get this album after i get back from work tonight. i know everyone's all "listen to it when the birds are chirping and the grass is green and spring is humping winter away" and all that shit but some of us only have time in the dead of night, so take this atmosphere into account when i give any feedback.

Having the right setting certainly enhances your experience if you already enjoy the album, but it's not necessary for enjoying the album.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-27 01:56:44 Reply

Just made a last.fm account

http://www.last.fm/user/Radiowned

Add me if you think I'm cool enough. I'll try to check out the album of the week sometime today.

Certified Professional
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-27 21:01:18 Reply

This week's picker is @Spooky. Pick somethin' good, will ya?

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-28 11:03:27 Reply

Got listening to Vashti Bunyan and loved it. Definitely going to try more of her stuff. Listened through the album twice, once outside.

Re-learned that itunes doesn't fucking support FLAC at all though, so had to spend ages trying to make Foobar not look awful. I didn't succeed either. Thanks Apple.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-29 04:00:05 Reply

At 4/28/14 03:55 PM, Spooky wrote:
"Moss Icon is an emo band

Well that's all I need to know. Got it ready to stream on the way home from work.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-04-30 22:07:21 Reply

Okay, Moss Icon - Complete Discography. Though this isn't technically a complete discography as the title suggests since it's missing a good handful of tracks from their demo tape and a few compilations, it's still a vigorous, disjointed, and raw collection of songs from one of the most notable and important bands in post-hardcore and emotive hardcore music.

The songs written by Moss Icon are very dynamic; quickly switching from calm and quiet to screaming in your ear, similar to what groups like Slint and Rodan would do a few years later, and with haunting riffs occasionally reminiscent of Joy Divison. I think one of the best songs they wrote, and a perfect example of their dynamism, is "I'm Back Sleeping, or Fucking, or Something". It opens with a gloomy bassline thumping along to very slack drums while vocalist Jonathan Vance comes in mumbling an abstract introductory verse. We then get some piercing guitar feedback come rushing in as the energy suddenly picks up with Vance screaming and intensely rambling about things like dreaming about a house, guns, and firetrucks. The band then pulls back and is more restrained, but twice as tense as before with feedback swirling around the gloomy bassline. The song continues in this fashion, growing more and more tense with each restraint and eventually closes with the composition essentially coming apart at the seams.

This is a really great compilation of tracks, and Moss Icon is essential listening for anyone who's into early emo and post-hardcore. While I do enjoy this release, I would prefer to listen to the original records on their own in their original track listing and unedited states.

Would recommend, and will definitely listen again since an EP of theirs is already on my iPod. Good stuff.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-01 07:05:11 Reply

Finished the Moss Icon discography. They're alright I guess, just not really my thing and not something I'll listen to again any time soon. I can see why the spontaneity could appeal to some but for the most part I'd only like one part of a song (usually the first few seconds) and hate the rest of it.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-04 22:15:14 Reply

Being the only other user to participate this week, @Jackho is the new picker! The only rules are that it should be from a different decade and genre from the previous album, but I'm sure you know that already.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-05 12:59:56 Reply

Jonathan Coulton - JoCo Looks Back (2008)

It's available on spotify. Here's a youtube playlist if you'd prefer. There are other playlists on there but it seems only this one has the right track list.

Jonathan Coulton is an indie geek rock / folk rock musician active since 2003 from Brooklyn. His best known songs include "Still Alive", "Want You Gone" and "re: Your Brains" from Portal, Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 respectively, as well as his cover of Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back”. You've probably heard a few of his songs before.

Once I settled on JoCo I was torn between this or his 2012 album "Artificial Heart" (also on spotify, would recommend) but I think I prefer the spontaneity and randomness of his Thing a Week series, where he forced himself to create a new song every week for a year, over the somewhat more grounded Artificial Heart. Because of that randomness I don't feel like anything is lost by listening to this compilation over the original albums.

"All I know is driving on drugs feels better when they're prescription"

@beheadedbymuslims
@Captain-Slugworth
@DigitalRelapse
@Dr-Worm
@Dromedary
@Gobblemeister
@Innermike
@Jackho
@Jay
@JaY11
@Jester
@Makeshift
@Natick
@Ryanson
@Sekhem
@Sense-Offender
@Sinerider
@Slint
@Snuff
@Spooky
@Viper

Last.Fm Club

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-07 18:16:40 Reply

I did actually listen to Moss Icon and thought it sounded very similar to Vaya era At the Drive-In which is definitely a good thing.

I can't say it picked up my attention too much but it was something I definitely enjoyed.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-10 13:05:51 Reply

Listened to JoCo Looks Back today, and it's the first album of the week that really didn't click with me in any way. Can't say I really enjoyed this very much at all.

The production on these tracks is really amateur and flat and the instrumentation feels pretty lifeless. It's pretty obvious that the instrumentation was nowhere near the focus of these tracks. The melodies are also pretty cookie cutter, not really much going on there that's fresh or interesting.

Of course the focus of these tracks are the lyrics, which would explain why the melody and instrumentation feel so effortlessly thrown together. The "geeky" lyrical themes feel like more of a gimmick than a unique personality. I found myself wanting to cringe more often than wanting to laugh at the jokes. There does seem to be an audience for this sort of thing, so this guy must have something going for him, but I couldn't find a single thing in here that impressed me.

Thanks for the pick, Jackho. Hopefully someone here enjoyed this more than I did.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-10 16:06:01 Reply

Well shit.

The amateur feeling comes from the fact that a lot of these tracks were made by himself as a side project and forced out in less than a week, and for whatever reason it kind of blew up on the internet. I'll admit a lot of his early tracks could definitely do with a re-recording. His post-valve-exposure stuff is better on a technical level.

If you're that against the lyrics you're probably not going to like any of it anyway though. I was quite young when I first discovered his music so perhaps I'm not as critical of it as I should be. I pretty much discovered the Beatles through this guy's covers, much of my music taste today can probably be traced back to this guy singing about monkeys and robots. Even so I think many of his more genuine (as in not comedy) songs are fantastic to this day. "When You Go" is a personal favorite.

Probably should have gone with something more professional. JoCo was the first thing I landed on when trying to think of artists I like that maybe not everyone has heard already.

Also if anyone's interested, I made a newspost listing every album and film of the week.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-10 18:02:26 Reply

At 5/10/14 04:06 PM, Jackho wrote: The amateur feeling comes from the fact that a lot of these tracks were made by himself as a side project and forced out in less than a week, and for whatever reason it kind of blew up on the internet. I'll admit a lot of his early tracks could definitely do with a re-recording. His post-valve-exposure stuff is better on a technical level.

I didn't bother to read about the background and just saw the album title in your post and went straight for it, so I had no idea about the one week limit thing. I guess it's a bit unfair to treat these like finished products if they were purposely squeezed out so quickly.

If you're that against the lyrics you're probably not going to like any of it anyway though. I was quite young when I first discovered his music so perhaps I'm not as critical of it as I should be. I pretty much discovered the Beatles through this guy's covers, much of my music taste today can probably be traced back to this guy singing about monkeys and robots. Even so I think many of his more genuine (as in not comedy) songs are fantastic to this day. "When You Go" is a personal favorite.

I get that his lyrical themes fall into a niche of sorts, and I'm just personally not into it at all. I get why others would enjoy it, though. I'm not insulting the guy's writing ability or anything, they just don't appeal to me in the slightest and feel sorta forced and gimmicky because of it.

Probably should have gone with something more professional. JoCo was the first thing I landed on when trying to think of artists I like that maybe not everyone has heard already.

Now that I know about the background more, I'd say it's at least an interesting experiment on a forced creativity sorta thing. Not sure how impressed I am with the "final product" though.

Also if anyone's interested, I made a newspost listing every album and film of the week.

That's a good idea. I've kept a log for myself but I never thought about posting it somewhere, so it's really cool that you did that.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-10 23:16:24 Reply

Did any of you guys experience problems with the scrobbler when using the most recent version of iTunes?

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-11 16:11:11 Reply

At 5/10/14 11:16 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Did any of you guys experience problems with the scrobbler when using the most recent version of iTunes?

I still use iTunes 10. Only got worse from there.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-11 18:18:48 Reply

At 5/11/14 04:11 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 5/10/14 11:16 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Did any of you guys experience problems with the scrobbler when using the most recent version of iTunes?
I still use iTunes 10. Only got worse from there.

Alright... But I'm still stuck here. I don't want to have issues with the scrobbler again, but my iTunes is so fucked up right now, it crashes my computer whenever I play music on it...

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-11 18:46:59 Reply

At 5/11/14 06:18 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Alright... But I'm still stuck here. I don't want to have issues with the scrobbler again, but my iTunes is so fucked up right now, it crashes my computer whenever I play music on it...

Only advice I have is to download an older version of itunes or switch to foobar2000. I only start having problems with itunes if I update past 10.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
finicalprickle
finicalprickle
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-12 04:11:58 Reply

At 5/11/14 09:41 PM, finicalprickle wrote: heres my profile guys
http://www.last.fm/user/finicalprickle

oh good lord

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-12 13:32:09 Reply

Oh boy. I guess it can only get better from here.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-12 16:08:26 Reply

At 5/12/14 01:32 PM, Jackho wrote:
Oh boy. I guess it can only get better from here.

I think that's a troll account. He even said thanks to the LAST.HQ's automatic welcome message. I mean, come on!

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-05-13 10:09:07 Reply

At 5/12/14 04:08 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
I think that's a troll account. He even said thanks to the LAST.HQ's automatic welcome message. I mean, come on!

No just look at it now it can't be. Who would do something like that?

unless oliver has returned from the dead