Be a Supporter!
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 26th, 2014 @ 11:42 PM Reply

At 1/25/14 03:06 PM, Snuff wrote: Any metal fans get on Deafheaven immediately.

bit late to the party.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 27th, 2014 @ 04:34 AM Reply

At 1/26/14 11:42 PM, Oliver wrote:
At 1/25/14 03:06 PM, Snuff wrote: Any metal fans get on Deafheaven immediately.
bit late to the party.

well hey some people may not know and it'd suck to miss out on

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 28th, 2014 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 1/27/14 04:34 AM, Snuff wrote: well hey some people may not know and it'd suck to miss out on

Not much to miss out on, tbh. I don't really find them that special or interesting.

Album of the Week Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas (2002) | Movie of the Week Genius Party (2007) Genius Party Beyond (2008)

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 28th, 2014 @ 07:05 PM Reply

At 1/28/14 11:49 AM, Oolaph wrote:
At 1/27/14 04:34 AM, Snuff wrote: well hey some people may not know and it'd suck to miss out on
Not much to miss out on, tbh. I don't really find them that special or interesting.

those kind of vocals i've always found difficult to get past but other than it having the obvious choice for a closing track second on the album, i'd say they did a good job with sunbather

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 28th, 2014 @ 10:16 PM Reply

At 1/28/14 07:05 PM, Snuff wrote: those kind of vocals i've always found difficult to get past but other than it having the obvious choice for a closing track second on the album, i'd say they did a good job with sunbather

The harsh black metal styled vocals were perfectly fine, I even wish they were more prominent in the mix. I just don't see why everyone seem to get so worked up about the group. I don't think they're necessarily bad or anything, but they're not really something to write home about if you ask me.

Their '10 demo was pretty cool and Judah was okay-ish, but I didn't really find anything that notable about Sunbather. It felt mostly like a cheap Godspeed You! Black Emperor imitation with black metal vocals under it. Maybe I'm only taking it at face value or not looking from the right perspective or something, but I wasn't really impressed with it at all. Help me enjoy this album if you can, I feel like I'm missing out by not liking it.

Album of the Week Mclusky - Mclusky Do Dallas (2002) | Movie of the Week Genius Party (2007) Genius Party Beyond (2008)

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 29th, 2014 @ 06:56 PM Reply

At 1/28/14 10:16 PM, Oolaph wrote:
The harsh black metal styled vocals were perfectly fine, I even wish they were more prominent in the mix. I just don't see why everyone seem to get so worked up about the group. I don't think they're necessarily bad or anything, but they're not really something to write home about if you ask me.

Their '10 demo was pretty cool and Judah was okay-ish, but I didn't really find anything that notable about Sunbather. It felt mostly like a cheap Godspeed You! Black Emperor imitation with black metal vocals under it. Maybe I'm only taking it at face value or not looking from the right perspective or something, but I wasn't really impressed with it at all. Help me enjoy this album if you can, I feel like I'm missing out by not liking it.

I'm not saying by any means it's a perfect album or anything, I personally haven't heard anything quite like it which makes it all new to me.

I think it's just generally the loud and powerful kind of sound that I go for so obviously that's what I see in the album, or at least a few of the songs on there. There is a lack of variety in it though which I do find bothers me, it's not easy to tell songs between each other (other than Windows and Irresistible etc.)

I can't imagine I'd be one to help you like an album, you either do or you don't.

ps im curious if anybody has ever listened to Maritime and their opinions, anyone who likes the promise ring should listen if they haven't.

Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 30th, 2014 @ 03:40 AM Reply

At 1/29/14 06:56 PM, Snuff wrote:
ps im curious if anybody has ever listened to Maritime and their opinions, anyone who likes the promise ring should listen if they haven't.

all emo shit sounds the same but cap'n jazz are superior.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Jan. 30th, 2014 @ 06:29 AM Reply

At 1/30/14 03:40 AM, Oliver wrote:
At 1/29/14 06:56 PM, Snuff wrote:
all emo shit sounds the same but cap'n jazz are superior.

its barely emo and definitely not shit but cap'n jazz are definitely up there

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 1st, 2014 @ 10:36 PM Reply

Beck's 'Morning Phase' LP is pretty great. Really digging the production on the whole thing, and there are some fantastic tracks on there.

BBS Signature
Ejit
Ejit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 2nd, 2014 @ 08:53 AM Reply

Decided to give it another go, for personal benefit mainly but let's be friends if you want - or not, mate. Not arsed. Don't care. Might be nice though.

http://www.last.fm/user/Tuta-absoluta

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 2nd, 2014 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 2/2/14 08:53 AM, Ejit wrote: Decided to give it another go, for personal benefit mainly but let's be friends if you want - or not, mate. Not arsed. Don't care. Might be nice though.

http://www.last.fm/user/Tuta-absoluta

Your musical compatibility with Tuta-absoluta is VERY LOW
Music you have in common includes Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Neil Young and Ken Laszlo.

Last.Fm Club

Ejit
Ejit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 3rd, 2014 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 2/2/14 06:00 PM, argile wrote: Your musical compatibility with Tuta-absoluta is VERY LOW
Music you have in common includes Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, Neil Young and Ken Laszlo.

Oh word dude any Ken Laszlo listener is a friend of mine

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 6th, 2014 @ 02:59 AM Reply

Anyone here listen to Bombay Bicycle Club? Their new album is like so fucking good ohmygod ohmygod

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 6th, 2014 @ 03:54 AM Reply

At 2/6/14 02:59 AM, Makeshift wrote: Anyone here listen to Bombay Bicycle Club? Their new album is like so fucking good ohmygod ohmygod

I really liked 'I Had the Blues but I Shook Them Loose', but none of their other albums really did anything for me. I had no idea they had a new LP out, though. I'll have to give it a listen in a bit along with the EPs I've neglected.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 6th, 2014 @ 04:41 AM Reply

At 2/6/14 03:54 AM, Oolaph wrote:
At 2/6/14 02:59 AM, Makeshift wrote: Anyone here listen to Bombay Bicycle Club? Their new album is like so fucking good ohmygod ohmygod
I really liked 'I Had the Blues but I Shook Them Loose', but none of their other albums really did anything for me. I had no idea they had a new LP out, though. I'll have to give it a listen in a bit along with the EPs I've neglected.

Not sure what you'll think of the new one. If you really like I Had The Blues, but not the others so much I can't imagine this would grab you. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 6th, 2014 @ 12:37 PM Reply

Is posting charts still a thing?

Last.Fm Club

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 6th, 2014 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 2/6/14 04:41 AM, Makeshift wrote: Not sure what you'll think of the new one. If you really like I Had The Blues, but not the others so much I can't imagine this would grab you. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Definitely didn't grab me. I can barely choose a 'out of 10' score for it because of how uninterested I was. Oh well. Still haven't bothered with the two EPs that came out before 'I Had the Blues', I should do that soon since that'll probably be exactly the style I like from them.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 14th, 2014 @ 05:36 AM Reply

At 2/6/14 12:37 PM, Innermike wrote: Is posting charts still a thing?

i always like seeing charts from others

here's mine

Last.Fm Club

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 15th, 2014 @ 09:37 PM Reply

So for a while Ryanson and I have been wanting to do a book club sort of thing, but for albums. We've just been too lazy to actually put in the effort to do it. Since Dr-Worm's "Movie of the Week" idea over in the Cinema Club seems to be working out so well, I thought it would be a good idea to let him do all the work of getting things organised and adapt his idea over here as "Album of the Week". It would hopefully get some fresh discussion in here and hopefully make this place more lively. Is anyone here actually up for participating in this or should we just forget the thing altogether?

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 15th, 2014 @ 09:43 PM Reply

Avicii isn't quite as good as the numerous times his single has been played on the radio. Progressive House is pretty lame as a sub genre of house music. Hardly notice the progression at all.

Last.Fm Club

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 15th, 2014 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 2/15/14 09:37 PM, Oolaph wrote: So for a while Ryanson and I have been wanting to do a book club sort of thing, but for albums. We've just been too lazy to actually put in the effort to do it. Since Dr-Worm's "Movie of the Week" idea over in the Cinema Club seems to be working out so well, I thought it would be a good idea to let him do all the work of getting things organised and adapt his idea over here as "Album of the Week". It would hopefully get some fresh discussion in here and hopefully make this place more lively. Is anyone here actually up for participating in this or should we just forget the thing altogether?

You totes linked the wrong thing

BUT YOU KNOW ME I'M DOWN

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 16th, 2014 @ 05:15 AM Reply

At 2/15/14 11:57 PM, Ryanson wrote:
BUT YOU KNOW ME I'M DOWN

I'm always down for new music count me in.

not that anybody has any interest in my opinions
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 16th, 2014 @ 05:31 AM Reply

I'm gonna have to listen to some music I don't like aren't I? I'll do it I guess. It's a lot easier than keeping up with that movie of the week thing. I could barely find any of the movies so far.

I made a new account by the way. I didn't like all the music on my last one and also the account name makes me cringe now. I could have just reset my plays, but I wanted to keep the account so I could look back on it sometime... I guess. I'm also starting to use the site again after a year or so, so starting fresh is fun.

You can add me if you want <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 17th, 2014 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 2/15/14 09:37 PM, Oolaph wrote: So for a while Ryanson and I have been wanting to do a book club sort of thing, but for albums. We've just been too lazy to actually put in the effort to do it. Since Dr-Worm's "Movie of the Week" idea over in the Cinema Club seems to be working out so well, I thought it would be a good idea to let him do all the work of getting things organised and adapt his idea over here as "Album of the Week". It would hopefully get some fresh discussion in here and hopefully make this place more lively. Is anyone here actually up for participating in this or should we just forget the thing altogether?

Yeah, let's do it. I've always meant to participate in Cinema Club, but I doubt I will feel like watching a movie and writing my thoughts on it very often. Music, however, isn't so tiring. I'm up for organizing it if no one feels like it.

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 17th, 2014 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 2/17/14 05:17 PM, Sekhem wrote: Yeah, let's do it. I've always meant to participate in Cinema Club, but I doubt I will feel like watching a movie and writing my thoughts on it very often. Music, however, isn't so tiring. I'm up for organizing it if no one feels like it.

Awesome. I figure it'd be best to pretty much just adapt Dr-Worm's system to albums because it's working so well in the Cinema Club.

It would work like this: One person chooses an album for us to listen to over the week, then on the weekend we have wonderful in-depth discussions about it like housewives trying to get away from their families at a book club. Then on Sunday/Monday one of the people that participated in the previous week will be randomly chosen to pick the album, and so on and so forth.

The whole idea of this is to broaden our horizons a bit and listen to stuff that we might not have stumbled upon on our own.
Not every album needs to be incredibly obscure and hard to find, but something that most of us haven't heard before would be much more interesting to talk about than something like Thriller or Rumours. I also really like the idea that each week's album should be from a different decade and genre from the previous one, just to keep things fresh.

I'm not sure how you wanna kick things off, we could type up a list and have everyone sort of vote and pick whichever one sounds the most interesting, or someone could simply volunteer to be the first picker. Both sound perfectly fine to me.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 18th, 2014 @ 09:10 AM Reply

At 2/17/14 08:07 PM, Oolaph wrote: I'm not sure how you wanna kick things off, we could type up a list and have everyone sort of vote and pick whichever one sounds the most interesting, or someone could simply volunteer to be the first picker.

Might as well type a list up, self nomination feels weird.

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 18th, 2014 @ 10:38 AM Reply

At 2/17/14 09:42 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote: why the fuck did i buy CDs

Because CDs rock

good picks btw
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 18th, 2014 @ 03:39 PM Reply

At 2/18/14 02:12 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote:
At 11/4/07 05:32 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: But what will fuel my superiority complex?
I'm embarrassed to live in the same country as you

Did you just fer real reply to a 7 year old post bruh?

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 08:16 PM Reply

Alright, Ryanson and I threw together a quick list of records to get the ball rolling. Go ahead and pick one out of this batch, or if you hate all of them and have a better one in mind, feel free to suggest your own.

1. Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
2. Thelonious Monk - Monk
3. A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
4. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
5. Karmacoda- Eternal

The first choice will be based on what you guys say, and I'll make the final decision this weekend. It will be definite, set in stone -- no backing out.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club Feb. 20th, 2014 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Always been interested in trying out A Tribe Called Quest. That's my vote.