New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-08 12:47:34 Reply

At 6/7/12 10:21 PM, Marsupial wrote: havent been around here for a while, add me folks
http://www.last.fm/user/MarsupialLFM

fantastic music taste, samiyam is too sick.

jesteeri is my lastfm name

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Marsupial
Marsupial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-08 23:17:56 Reply

At 6/8/12 12:47 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 6/7/12 10:21 PM, Marsupial wrote: havent been around here for a while, add me folks
http://www.last.fm/user/MarsupialLFM
fantastic music taste, samiyam is too sick.

jesteeri is my lastfm name

yeah man but hes taking ages to drop precious cargo with flying lotus. Got some pretty cool new music recently, check out dibiase, dorian concept and teebs & jackhigh if youre into that kinda music

cos shotgun bullets are bad for yo health.
{+}dA{-}LASTFM
paypal

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 16:43:41 Reply

At 6/8/12 11:17 PM, Marsupial wrote: check out dibiase, dorian concept and teebs & jackhigh if youre into that kinda music

thanks for the heads up bro, already know teebs and dibiase and i'll check out the others soon. im really getting into the chilled, experimental electronic based genre, no idea wtf to call it. but yeah tokimonsta's creature dreams is sooooo good

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Marsupial
Marsupial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 17:12:48 Reply

At 6/10/12 04:43 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 6/8/12 11:17 PM, Marsupial wrote: check out dibiase, dorian concept and teebs & jackhigh if youre into that kinda music
thanks for the heads up bro, already know teebs and dibiase and i'll check out the others soon. im really getting into the chilled, experimental electronic based genre, no idea wtf to call it. but yeah tokimonsta's creature dreams is sooooo good

yeah im a big fan of toki, midnight menu is dope too. I don't know if yuore into hiphop atm but check out her attention defecit mixtape, brilliant collection of hiphop remixes.

Pretty much my favourite genre atm, check out elaquent - the midnight after, one of my favourite albums of that genre. Can you reccomend me a dibiase release? lumberjack is my favourite track from what ive heard by him.

Good to see someone here with a similair taste to mine, I've always been a bit of a musical outcast when i was active in this group lol

{+}dA{-}LASTFM
paypal

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 19:04:12 Reply

charts

Last.Fm Club

Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 19:34:52 Reply

At 6/10/12 05:12 PM, Marsupial wrote: yeah im a big fan of toki, midnight menu is dope too. I don't know if yuore into hiphop atm but check out her attention defecit mixtape, brilliant collection of hiphop remixes.

sweet, i'm just getting into her but i'll keep an eye out for it.

Pretty much my favourite genre atm, check out elaquent - the midnight after, one of my favourite albums of that genre.

just gave it a quick listen, and it's great. give you all is probably my favourite track from it, i like the tempo change halfway through. also ready to go, it's rare to have rap with beats like that. this dude marv won is a pretty sick rapper, i've never heard of him before though. falling star is good too, i love that first sample. looks like a brilliant album so far, i'll definitely look into it in more depth asap

Can you reccomend me a dibiase release? lumberjack is my favourite track from what ive heard by him.

if im honest i don't really know dibiase too well, i've listened to his machines hate me album (which is pretty cool) and that's about it. he uses a bit too much 8-bit for my liking, but skullcrack is one of my favourites from the album. it's pretty grimy, has dubstepish beats.

oh also, make sure you check bahwee if you haven't heard him yet, his album flavors is awesome. it's fairly similar to the other artists we've been talking about, but it's a bit more drum orientated.

Good to see someone here with a similair taste to mine, I've always been a bit of a musical outcast when i was active in this group lol

yeah bro my music taste fluctuates like crazy but i've always liked this genre. it's got something interesting about it, and i'm constantly finding new music. it's also pretty nice to chat to someone who knows more artists than flying lotus. but this genre aside, from what i can tell we have similar taste in rap too, with people like wu-tang and biggie.

also charts for the first time since 2007

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 19:36:25 Reply

the one fucking time i try to do charts GAH

Last.Fm Club

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 19:58:29 Reply

I have nothing interesting to say, so here's some $UP3R H1P charts to make up for it.

Last.Fm Club

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-10 22:37:39 Reply

Ume are really, really cool. less than 10k listeners too.

Last.Fm Club

SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 08:43:55 Reply

What i've got for the whole week after sunday afternoon

Last.Fm Club

Marsupial
Marsupial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 10:17:29 Reply

At 6/10/12 07:34 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 6/10/12 05:12 PM, Marsupial wrote: yeah im a big fan of toki, midnight menu is dope too. I don't know if yuore into hiphop atm but check out her attention defecit mixtape, brilliant collection of hiphop remixes.
sweet, i'm just getting into her but i'll keep an eye out for it.

Pretty much my favourite genre atm, check out elaquent - the midnight after, one of my favourite albums of that genre.
just gave it a quick listen, and it's great. give you all is probably my favourite track from it, i like the tempo change halfway through. also ready to go, it's rare to have rap with beats like that. this dude marv won is a pretty sick rapper, i've never heard of him before though. falling star is good too, i love that first sample. looks like a brilliant album so far, i'll definitely look into it in more depth asap

Yeah I was surprised by how good it is. My friend showed me his song mastered system which was a pretty track with sega samples, and i thought fuck it ill get the album, and it was completely different from that song but still so dope. Will definetly be getting another release from him soon.

Can you reccomend me a dibiase release? lumberjack is my favourite track from what ive heard by him.
if im honest i don't really know dibiase too well, i've listened to his machines hate me album (which is pretty cool) and that's about it. he uses a bit too much 8-bit for my liking, but skullcrack is one of my favourites from the album. it's pretty grimy, has dubstepish beats.

Yeh skullcracks a decent tune, I have the comfort zone EP and its pretty nice but it doesnt really sound like lumberjack, which jus blew me away as a track.

oh also, make sure you check bahwee if you haven't heard him yet, his album flavors is awesome. it's fairly similar to the other artists we've been talking about, but it's a bit more drum orientated.

I've actually heard an odd track or two by this guy on youtube, will take the hint and look further.

yeah bro my music taste fluctuates like crazy but i've always liked this genre. it's got something interesting about it, and i'm constantly finding new music. it's also pretty nice to chat to someone who knows more artists than flying lotus. but this genre aside, from what i can tell we have similar taste in rap too, with people like wu-tang and biggie.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie started off by discovering flying lotus around the time i was interested in hip hop beat tapes by madlib j dilla and stuff. I think the first track i heard was the nosaj thing remix of camel which had a hiphop influence but was a lot deeper which hooked me, and soon after that got all his albums, tokimonsta and samiyam were next to be discovered, and yeah its a sick genre, and brainfeeder is a sick sick label.

Yeah all ive listened to for the past few years is electronic and hiphop tbh. Sometimes old school dubstep, but not too much else. You listen to hudson mohawke btw?

{+}dA{-}LASTFM
paypal

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 13:02:53 Reply

At 6/11/12 10:17 AM, Marsupial wrote: You listen to hudson mohawke btw?

nah, i remember hearing him on an album sampler from warp records, but that's about it. got anything in particular of his you would recommend?

also speaking of warp, make sure to check out the album the golden age of apocalypse by thundercat, it's a great electronic album

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 14:41:16 Reply

At 6/11/12 01:02 PM, Dromedary wrote:
nah, i remember hearing him on an album sampler from warp records, but that's about it. got anything in particular of his you would recommend?

His Satin Panthers EP is bloody delicious.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 15:42:16 Reply

You guys and your mainstream music.

Why don't you listen to something hip like Green Day?

Marsupial
Marsupial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-11 22:27:53 Reply

At 6/11/12 01:02 PM, Dromedary wrote:

cbat and thunder bay from the mentioned "Satin Panthers EP" are both dope as fuck

Not a massive fan of his album butter, but its worth a listen, I prefer the polyfolk dance ep. Hopefully he'll be droppin another full length album soon though

also speaking of warp, make sure to check out the album the golden age of apocalypse by thundercat, it's a great electronic album

Yeah i got that album, havent listened to it as much as it probably deserves though, ill give it another run. Where did you get the warp compilation btw, i was looking for one a couple weeks back and couldnt find one.

{+}dA{-}LASTFM
paypal

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 10:22:52 Reply

At 6/11/12 10:27 PM, Marsupial wrote: Yeah i got that album, havent listened to it as much as it probably deserves though, ill give it another run. Where did you get the warp compilation btw, i was looking for one a couple weeks back and couldnt find one.

you mean a physical copy or a digital one? i got a cd of it a while back in a local record shop, but if you wanted to buy it online discogs has damn near everything. dunno where to get a digital copy though, it's on spotify, or you could manually take the songs off youtube.

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 11:24:07 Reply

At 6/11/12 03:42 PM, Snuff wrote: Why don't you listen to something hip like Green Day?

I can't stand Green Day. They had some alright songs, but I hate how they've made people associate the term "punk" with them. Green Day aren't punk. Green Day will never be punk. Green Day are everything that punk is against. Kids of today take the great genre that is punk and associate it with crap like that. It's disgusting.

There's nothing worse than when some simpleton who only listens to music that's trendy or in fashion tries to start a conversation with me. It usually goes something like this:

Them - "What kind of music are you into?"
Me - "Well, mainly punk and skinhead stuff."
Them - "Oh, I used to listen to punk when I was younger!"
Me - "Oh cool, I wasn't expecting that. What bands?"
Them - "Stuff like Green Day, Sum 41 and that."
Me - "This conversation is over"

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 13:52:51 Reply

Yeah but Dean, most of those bands are some sort of 'Pop-Punk' or something, so people usually just refer to them as punk, or punk rock, even though I know they aren't, it is easier that way. And anyway, it's modern punk I guess, aren't many bands that do old school punk anymore, it seems to have evolved, or devolved, however you want to look at it.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 16:14:33 Reply

At 6/12/12 01:52 PM, Snuff wrote: Yeah but Dean, most of those bands are some sort of 'Pop-Punk' or something, so people usually just refer to them as punk, or punk rock, even though I know they aren't, it is easier that way. And anyway, it's modern punk I guess, aren't many bands that do old school punk anymore, it seems to have evolved, or devolved, however you want to look at it.

Yeah I'm with snuff, you're sporting the tired hipster look pretty well dean. In the same way that people snort when I refer to people signed to big labels as indie. Or people who snort when someone calls skrillex dubstep. Someone was always there before you, claiming their version as gospel. I grew up knowing that I listened to punk rock, but if someone says punk I don't think of dead kennedys or sex pistols or whatever, I think of nofx and the offspring and, yes, greenday.

BBS Signature
Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 16:31:05 Reply

i don't think dean appreciates green day being labelled punk, that doesn't make him a hipster at all.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 16:35:26 Reply

Sorry guys, I see Dean as a true punk and a cool guy. I easily understand his views on pop-punk and its association with the rest of punk music and I'm not a big fan on the music genre. I feel bands like Green Day and Sum 41 are too much of a misfit to belong in punk, especially when you look at everything else punk has to offer. I could care less who is a fan of those bands, though so happy listening.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 17:06:31 Reply

At 6/12/12 04:31 PM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: i don't think dean appreciates green day being labelled punk, that doesn't make him a hipster at all.

I'm not saying he's a hipster in "I like these guys because they're trendy" (quite the opposite, deans music will never be trendy LOLOLOLOLOLO just kiddan), but his post feels like it has a bit of a "holier than thou" air about it which i was trying to get at.

BBS Signature
Spilda-Bongwata
Spilda-Bongwata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 17:15:08 Reply

lol as if sum 41 has been mentioned like three times on this page damn

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 17:18:13 Reply

lol, the top "punk" bands on Last.fm include Green Day, NOFX, and The Offspring. Must grind yer gears Dean.

Last.Fm Club

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Gamer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 17:24:20 Reply

At 6/12/12 01:52 PM, Snuff wrote: And anyway, it's modern punk I guess, aren't many bands that do old school punk anymore, it seems to have evolved, or devolved, however you want to look at it.

No, most of the punk bands from the 80's are still around now, although they're starting to age. Hell, even the UK Subs are still regularly touring and their singer is approaching his 70th birthday now. The man is a legend. You just don't hear about them because when punk went out of fashion all the posers moved on and started talking about other music. Real punk still exists, you just have to know the right people or know where to look. We still have a massive punk festival in Blackpool every summer called Rebellion Festival. Even some of the bigger American bands have started playing at it. I think Rancid are coming over this year.

At 6/12/12 04:31 PM, Spilda-Bongwata wrote: i don't think dean appreciates green day being labelled punk, that doesn't make him a hipster at all.

Pretty much this. I was brought up by someone who lived through the 80's as a punk. A real punk. Not a punk who gave up and moved on when the next new thing came along. To him, punk was a way for kids that were being given no hope of a decent future a chance to air their opinion and have fun doing so. It was never about the money for the real bands. Very few could actually live off of their music. They were just kids who'd play down the pub on a Friday/Saturday night.

Now you get bands like Green Day. Lets face it, they're making music to make money. They live off of their music. It's a job. People consider bands like those part of the "punk revival" but punk was never dead to begin with and this is the reason I don't like these bands. They took a scene that was still going strong and doing it's own thing. They restyled it and turned it into what I consider a pretty pathetic scene where well off kids moan about losing girls.

It's just messed up in my opinion. I guess I just wish people were more appreciative of where this "new punk" came from. I just don't get how they can consider themselves punk when they couldn't even name the bands that helped make punk what it is.

I don't mind what people listen to. I'm not going genuinely to mock someone for listening to Green Day. I just wish they were a little less ignorant when it comes to slapping a punk label on something that is everything punk stands against. I don't care if they don't even like the bands, but I think they should at least be aware of who they are and what they achieved.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start some kind of big debate. Although if anyone is super keen to listen to some real punk, I can PM you a selection of it. Done this for a few users in the past who wanted to know more about British punk.

PS - Leo, I'm no hipster :P

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Snuff
Snuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 17:25:34 Reply

Woah, that's the first time I've said my opinion about a music genre and not been ripped to shreds.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 18:02:58 Reply

At 6/12/12 05:24 PM, Dean wrote: punk went out of fashion
punk was never dead

Complete contradiction if you ask me. A genre dying is it going out of fashion. There are still people who enjoy 20s swing, but I'd consider the genre as close to dead as it's going to get in that it's not in "popular" (to some degree of popular) fashion.

It's just messed up in my opinion. I guess I just wish people were more appreciative of where this "new punk" came from. I just don't get how they can consider themselves punk when they couldn't even name the bands that helped make punk what it is.

Eh, I think that's also a bit silly (though I don't object to the idea so much as your first point). Should I need to know a history of first wave and 2tone to appreciate Reel Big Fish? No, of course not! They're still a fun band without knowledge of sixty years of jamaican music history. Without those two genres 3rd wave ska wouldn't exist, but I shouldn't need to like, or even know people like desmond dekker or the skatalites to enjoy RBF or whoever. It's a shame, sure, that someone doesn't like your underappreciated genre of choice. But I don't think that someone not knowing the roots of a genre that is divorced from what they like is grounds for saying that they shouldn't consider themselves true fans.

Like, it's a shame that punk now means two things... but I don't judge a skrillex fan for not knowing about burial (who's from a completely different genre, but both are called dubstep). I'll do my best to educate them, sure, but at the end of the day it's not their fault for listening to what they want to listen to. It's not their fault if for researching the history of a genre if they're happy listening to their greenday or their offspring or whatever.

What I'm trying to get at is that some people just don't listen to music like we do. For some people music is an aside and not the focus of their life.

PS - Leo, I'm no hipster :P

Pfffffft you're kidding nobody ;)

BBS Signature
Dromedary
Dromedary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 18:11:12 Reply

At 6/12/12 05:25 PM, Snuff wrote: Woah, that's the first time I've said my opinion about a music genre and not been ripped to shreds.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

your opinion is shit and you're ugly

someone had to take you down a peg, y'all gettin' uppity

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Last.Fm Club 2012-06-12 18:23:06 Reply

We're all hipsters here except for Snuff.