00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you make a line the same...

911 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

...length, but diagonal in paint?

It might sound easy, but when you have a line that is, say, 50X1 long and you try to make it diagonal, it's waay longer than what the figures account for. Look:
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k 282/braindude/examplelines.png[/IMG]

On both of those lines, the left figure is 50, but the red line is much longer. Ahh, so maybe for every increase in the vertical (right) figure, I need a decrease in the horizontal one? Well, that doesn't seem to work either.

I'm trying to get parts of this guys leg diagonal for a walk cycle test, and yes I'm sure there are better art programs and I could do this in flash, but I want to know how to do this in paint. I could get the individual parts of the leg diagonal by using Microsoft photo editor, but that causes it to blur, so I need to know how to do this manually. It's probably really simple, but as usual, I don't get it. :)

This is my little cartton cowboy guy:
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k 282/braindude/walk1.png[/IMG]

The reason this is in art is because I thought you guys might know.

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 17:06:08

At 10/13/07 04:49 PM, celldamage wrote: ...length, but diagonal in paint?
The reason this is in art is because I thought you guys might know.

First of all after looking at your post history.. It seems you would have realized the IMG tags don't work here yes?

but anyways..

Even with free-form selection, MSPaint isn't going to help you because you wont be able to rotate it as you need to. Since you can do it in Flash that's the way to go.

Also,

how about we take a quick refresh course in geometry yes?

How do you make a line the same...

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 17:37:02

But where it says "Yes", the upper line is still longer (even though I aligned it wrong). And the higher the angle is, the longer it'll be.
Surely, there's some formula for getting it to be the same length as the lower one.

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 17:52:51

At 10/13/07 05:37 PM, celldamage wrote: But where it says "Yes", the upper line is still longer (even though I aligned it wrong). And the higher the angle is, the longer it'll be.
Surely, there's some formula for getting it to be the same length as the lower one.

dude, honestly .... quit making it harder than it is.. you don't need a equation of a MSPaint pic >.>; Also what i did was a rough sketch I'm glad you measured the screen and missed the point of it >.>;

So when you walk your legs magically stretch out to meet the ground eh?

This thread fails anyways btw probably better for Flash because it's about animation >.>;

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 17:52:55

At 10/13/07 05:37 PM, celldamage wrote: But where it says "Yes", the upper line is still longer (even though I aligned it wrong). And the higher the angle is, the longer it'll be.

Use the radius of a circle to make all your lines the same length. Draw a circle, mark the center draw lines out from it...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 18:07:01

Yeah, that seems to make sense. I'm sorry - I'm kinda retarded. I've only just realised perspective for square objects, and I still can't get characters and stuff. If I was an artist, I suppose I could do it by eye.

Response to How do you make a line the same... 2007-10-13 18:20:24

Mmm... Nah.

The lines are the same length in the circle, but working out all the correct angles for the lines in the shoe and leg is ridiculous.

Ah well... screw it. Unless I use another program to get angles and then just go over its lines with paint (The lines need to look like what I already got).